Like Issan?

stevo2

Have seen a few posts recently concerning people moving or thinking about moving to Issan. There have been the usual split opinions about the topic. I remember one guy saying that"most Franags that live in Issan do so as that is their girlfriend's/wife's home". IE they did not choose Issan.

I met my wife while I was staying as a single man in Buriram. I therefore already knew where she was from and, obviously after 11 years, liked the idea. I am a teacher and have moved around Thailand in those 11 years chasing the better contracts. I have to say that since we returned "home" life has been alot happier. "Viva la Isaan". :o

Would be interseting to know how many others share in my delight for life in the North East...... or not!

Happy New Year

Have seen a few posts recently concerning people moving or thinking about moving to Issan. There have been the usual split opinions about the topic. I remember one guy saying that"most Franags that live in Issan do so as that is their girlfriend's/wife's home". IE they did not choose Issan.

I met my wife while I was staying as a single man in Buriram. I therefore already knew where she was from and, obviously after 11 years, liked the idea. I am a teacher and have moved around Thailand in those 11 years chasing the better contracts. I have to say that since we returned "home" life has been alot happier. "Viva la Isaan". :D

Would be interseting to know how many others share in my delight for life in the North East...... or not!

Happy New Year

I find life in issan great when I'am home. I lived in Chonburi, Kanchanaburi, Huahin, Bangkok and Ratchaburi all were ok but issan is so laid back, and the people really are very friendly, the only thing I can say is I'am not so keen on issan food! :o

Regards.

I think I might have been the guy to have made that comment. And for the most part, is it true. No getting away from the fact. But, just because many Foreingners live in Isaan becasue it is where their wife comes from, does not mean that they do not enjoy living there!..Some do. Some don't.

I live near Khao Yai (Nakhon Ratchisima) because the scenery is beautiful, and the people are friendly.

I tried living in Bangkok (too busy), The southern Islands (too touristy, locals unfriendly) and the North (too Northern)

Isaan is where my heart is for the moment.

It helps have a good network of Farang friends and not be put under pressure by the locals to do anything that you do not wish to do.

Cheers stevo2, I wanted to start a topic like this and you beat me to the punch...

I've been looking at places to live in thailand for just over two years and have not found a spot as yet. Thanks geekfreaklover, your comments are exactly what I have discovered. My only wish is that I had joined this forum last year!

Could any of you comment about your particular lifestyle in the area of Isaan? I'd appreciate the input and frank comment.

Kind Regards,

HappyThaiLife

You are right, most people do live in Issan because of their girlfriend.... But they do enjoy it.. saying that I have just read another post on the miserable ****s hanging around in the city areas... yeah they are there.

I love living in my house (on the outskirts of the village) away from the speakers.. etc.

I break up my time, as i still have a job out of the country and just go back and forth to work, but just beacuse you live in issan does not mean you can not enjoy the rest of Thailand. i have travelled all over since living in Issan and it does not break the bank getting a flight somewhere else to do a bit of exploring.

I did the Pattaya scene for a couple of years...yeah great and i still love to go back there, but living there for good just aint me.

I have built a big house, got it walled off and have my own land. We grow some vegetalbles, have a great garden in the house. I have 2 big ponds full of fish, ( used the soil to build up the land), they cost me hardly anything to run.

Also got 13 Rai behind the house to grow my rice on.

And of course a car.. made sure i got a Vigo, to cope with the crappy roads.

I love getting out and about and driving around looking at different things. you will find that the typical Thais in built GPS only has a 30km range, so you have to explore yourself.

No Farrang mates in the area, i have touched base with a few people but no been around at the time to meet up with them.

Enjoy Issan.

Boing Boing

It helps have a good network of Farang friends and not be put under pressure by the locals to do anything that you do not wish to do.

So how big is the farang population in the PakChong area? I'll be there looking for golf partners in about five years! :o

One of the best things about living in Thailand is the fact you can literally do what you want within the constraints of obscure Thai laws and your own budget. I chose a place a place in Isaan 250 kms from the wife's parents and vowed NEVER to buy land or build a house; although I have helped modernise the parents-in-law abode. The wife of almost 8 years is not totally happy but stays with me "for better or worse". Not everyone's ideal situation but it suits us. Overall I find life in Isaan a compromise but still GREAT.

Actually some of us married farangs live in the Central region.

I live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet in a small moo ban. It is NOT my wifes village as her family comes from Bang Na near Bangkok. Her mother lives with us in the small house and yes there are no western restaurants no bars with girls nearby. If I want western style food then either my wife or I cook it.

I know of quite a few guys living within 50 km of me, some are permanent as I am except when I work offshore and some are temporary part timers during the year.

There are speakers at the end of the front garden and 300 meteres away up the back is part of the Mae Wong national park.

My neighbours are Thai on one side and my Danish mate ( a part timer ) on the other side neither are closer the 50 m away. We have 10 rai we live on and my wife has another 10 rai 2 km down the road where she runs a small shop and noodle restaurant.

There are 3 resorts within 2 km of where we live.

I have an edge connection on AIS for 500 baht a month plus we have a Ford Ranger double cab 4x4 pickup and a sccoter for cheap travel.

I love it up here and when I finally retire next year (again) I have no desire to live anywhere else in the world.

I have a good wife, a 4 year old son and a good family who call when they want to come up and stay, and they can stay as long as they wish. Some good Thai friends and the only thing I really need in life is to be able to speak Thai far better than I can and also to read and write it too.

Next years projects.

:D:o:D :D

Like I said in my earlier post I like Issan but I like large city life so I picked Korat which is the 3rd largest city in Thailand. It is a short drive to Bangkok in case I need a BIG city fix. There are many foreign cuisine restaurants if one gets tired of eating Thai food. We have all the conveniences of any large city, high speed internet, cable TV, large shopping centers, movie theaters and 4 golf courses. If you need more info on Korat there is a local forum you might want to view.

http://koratfarang.com/board/index.php

OH yes, the cost of living up here is at least half of other large cities in Thailand. PM me if you have any specific question