Chinese Food In Bangkok

sbk

My favourite is called, I think Blue Moon (or something-Moon) and is located next to the Pinnacle Hotel on Soi Ngam Duplee just off Rama IV.

Excellent Chinese food including julienne and deep fried eggplant with cilantro, the best seaweed salad I have ever tasted (lots of garlic) and great dumplings of all kinds. Very reasonable prices too. It looks like a hole in the wall (and is), probably the kind of place I would not have tried if someone hadn't given me the heads up.

It is called Sun and Moon, although currently there is no English sign, only Thai and Chinese. It is immediately to the left of 5/5 Soi Ngam Duplee. The long green beans with garlic are my favorite, with the leek and shrimp dumplings a close second. I eat here often, and my only complaint is that they don't seem to like farang much. They will ignore me and my Thai partner for a while, and take orders from Chinese customers who came in after us. But the food is worth the wait if I'm not starving. They are more expensive than the local Thai restaurants, at 80-100 baht per dish, but it is very good food.

The Canton restaurant mentioned above is on Phaya Thai Road, not on Sukhumvit. It is between the Phaya Thai and Ratchathewi skytrain stations on the west side of the road. The dim sum is very good, as is everything I have ever eaten there.

I am still looking for the kind of Chinese food I ate in Chinatown in San Francisco -- chicken chow mein, moo shu pork, or BBQ pork rice rolls. I haven't found any here yet.

Edited by peridot

There is a hole in the wall type Chinese diner along Rama 4 after the Klong Toey intersection before one hits the BMW showroom, diagonally across the Honda dealership. Can't remember the name but it serves homecook style Northern Chinese food. A good break from the normal Cantonese styled fare one gets in BKK. It even had TsingDao beer when I was there the last time!

I don't know if I found this restaurant, but I searched up and down on Rama IV. I found a small Chinese restaurant called Longchue Restaurant at 2719/2-3 Rama IV Road, on the north side just before Soi Chok Di, at the west end of the S-curve past the Khlong Toei intersection. It has a sign on the sidewalk that says Chinese Food. Rather than northern style, they called their food Kunming style, which is from southern China. The menu is very similar to the Sun and Moon restaurant mentioned in this thread, and the food was as good. Dumplings, eggplant, green beans, glass noodles, lots of kinds of stewed pork and pork parts, tofu.

I didn't find any other Chinese restaurants in my search of the area.

My favourite is called, I think Blue Moon (or something-Moon) and is located next to the Pinnacle Hotel on Soi Ngam Duplee just off Rama IV.

Excellent Chinese food including julienne and deep fried eggplant with cilantro, the best seaweed salad I have ever tasted (lots of garlic) and great dumplings of all kinds. Very reasonable prices too. It looks like a hole in the wall (and is), probably the kind of place I would not have tried if someone hadn't given me the heads up.

It is called Sun and Moon, although currently there is no English sign, only Thai and Chinese. It is immediately to the left of 5/5 Soi Ngam Duplee. The long green beans with garlic are my favorite, with the leek and shrimp dumplings a close second. I eat here often, and my only complaint is that they don't seem to like farang much. They will ignore me and my Thai partner for a while, and take orders from Chinese customers who came in after us. But the food is worth the wait if I'm not starving. They are more expensive than the local Thai restaurants, at 80-100 baht per dish, but it is very good food....

Thanks Jingthing & Peridot. Went there yesterday (sorry SBK, forgot the camera). The shuijiao were excellent, steaming hot and came with lots of yummy dark soy. There wasn't any smashed up chili and garlic mix but maybe I'll make that myself and take it with me next time. 70 baht and sooooo good, THANKS. :)

I've never eaten there but I read an article in the Financial Times about a Chinese place in Gaysorn Plaza that is supposed to do a magnificent dim sum.

They(above) also serve a good Peking Duck. (I recall it being on the 3rd floor.)

There is also a small Chinese restaurant near the Chong Nosi BTS station (West Side) that specializes in fresh dumplings and noodles - very good and inexpensive.

I am still looking for the kind of Chinese food I ate in Chinatown in San Francisco -- chicken chow mein, moo shu pork, or BBQ pork rice rolls. I haven't found any here yet.

You can get the equivalent here at Hong Min (1st FL of Carrefour Rama 4).

Ask for fried Hong Kong chicken noodles and kuay teow lord moo dang.

Were they rude to you GHS? :D

Not really, just brusque in that particular Chinese way. Gosh there's a bit of stereotyping for you, but honestly in 4 years in Taipei I can't recall ever having a polite waiter. I just propped my newspaper in front of me and slurped up those dumplings in record time :)

Edited by Goinghomesoon

I will have to give that shop a try next time I am in Bangkok, don't mind brusque, do like delicious :)

so, just curious what are shuijiao called in Thai?

No idea. I tried ordering in Mandarin and they just stared at me, so I gave up and pointed at the menu! Hopefully Jingthing will jump in here and tell us.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm, make that American style Szechuan, I wouldn't know if the Szechuan I had in the past is authentic or not, all I know is that it was called Szechuan.

Kuhn SW -- I spent a lot of time working in Chengdu in the early 1990s and most of the Sichuan food eaten by the locals would be inedible to the average American including me -- very oily and loaded with their famous red Sichuan peppers... the American style Sichuan is good but highly adapted.

OTOH: There is a chain of franchised dim sum shops all over BKK and and one up here in the NE called Chokdee Dimsum -- menu at http://chokdeedimsum.com/th/menu.php (the images are described in English) -- very nice and freshly made in the store -- they are still offering franchises for those so inclined... interesting story: The owner lost his business in BKK in 1997 and went to stay in Hat Yai with family members who ran a dim sum restaurant. And the rest...

• 1 month later...
I will have to give that shop a try next time I am in Bangkok, don't mind brusque, do like delicious :D

so, just curious what are shuijiao called in Thai?

No idea. I tried ordering in Mandarin and they just stared at me, so I gave up and pointed at the menu! Hopefully Jingthing will jump in here and tell us.

Last time I was in Bangkok I went to this restaurant. It was full and I was hungry so I ended up going around the corner for noodle soup instead :) thwarted!

next time, i will go earlier than 7 pm I guess.