Chinese Food In Bangkok

sbk

hi

there are 2 very different places that I love:

1) Dalian - northern Chinese food

Sukhumvit Soi 40, near to the entrance of the soi, just on the right hand side. Red lanterns outside.

Steamed dumplings (jiaozi) just like I used to eat in Beijing! Some great fried aubergine dishes here too. Dishes can err on the greasy side so wash down with Tsingtao beer. Staff lounge around watching chinese soap opera on the telly when it's not busy. Really reminds me of the cheap and cheerful restaurants you get in China....

2) China House for dim sum.

Mandarin Oriental. I thought the dim sum was superb - wonderfully fresh and tasty. The Peking duck ain't bad either.

feel hungry now.

Edited by bkkmei

I like "Joke Club" at Sukhumvit soi 11.

Joke Club is gone now. Reasonably priced Chinese doesn't seem to exist around lower Sukhumvit, except maybe for the Chinese restaurant in the Ambassador if you go for the dim-sum lunch.

Try wandering into a populated restaurant in Chinatown.

It's difficult to find real chinese food in Chinatown, most is a mix of Thai and Chinese. Or rather Chinese food with heavy Thai influences.

There is a Tesco Lotus in Chinatown and on the 2nd and 10th floors they have good Chinese restaurants. I think both are part of the Peking Chinese restaurant chain.

This is not the one I was thinking of, but I've been to this one and it's very good.

Royal Kitchen

Beachbunny

Looks interesting but don't know that I'd try their special menu of braised sea slugs stuffed with prawns :o

I have to admit a fondness for the northern style Chinese food, just don't go for chotofu. :D

There are certain Chinese foods I have been unable to locate. Anyone with some clues:

Claypot dishes (such as mixed seafood with tofu claypot. oysters and pork belly claypot, sizzling chicken claypot, tofu salted fish claypot, beef and turnip claypot)

Muslim Chinese wheat dishes: hand made chewy and thick wheat noodles in stir fries and spicy soups

Chinese baked breads: Sesame bread, scallion bread etc.

• 4 weeks later...
I've never eaten there but I read an article in the Financial Times about a Chinese place in Gaysorn Plaza that is supposed to do a magnificent dim sum.

Xin Tien Di.

Excellent Chinese food, reasonably priced. (Although the place looks posh and expensive).

Dunno if that's the one mentioned by Financial Times, but it's the only one I've seen there. It's on one of the higher floors.

The Shangarila off Soi Thaniya is really quite good.

I was induced to try a lobster brain dessert after the meal.  Despite my misgivings, it was really rather delicious (I think you can only order it if you order a whole lobster with your meal.)

There is a hole in the wall type Chinese diner along Rama 4 after the Klong Toey intersection before one hits the BMW showroom, diagonally across the Honda dealership. Can't remember the name but it serves homecook style Northern Chinese food. A good break from the normal Cantonese styled fare one gets in BKK. It even had TsingDao beer when I was there the last time!

The owner/cook is a Mainland Chinese and has a pretty good selection of authentic tasting and relatively cheap [home cooked] dishes. Nothing fancy, but I didn't expect to find such a restaurant here - it looks more like a cozy eatery one would find in the sub-urbs of Shanghai !

There is a hole in the wall type Chinese diner along Rama 4 after the Klong Toey intersection before one hits the BMW showroom, diagonally across the Honda dealership. Can't remember the name but it serves homecook style Northern Chinese food. A good break from the normal Cantonese styled fare one gets in BKK. It even had TsingDao beer when I was there the last time!

The owner/cook is a Mainland Chinese and has a pretty good selection of authentic tasting and relatively cheap [home cooked] dishes. Nothing fancy, but I didn't expect to find such a restaurant here - it looks more like a cozy eatery one would find in the sub-urbs of Shanghai !

That sounds great. If someone can provide more more precise directions, please do. I have noticed a number of regional Chinese restaurants in the Silom area going towards the river (not the Sala Daeng) part. So I am not surprised that these places exist, but they are generally not very accessible to westerners. You have to be adventurous. BTW, I once went to one of these places with a Thai, and there was no waiter who could even speak Thai or English.

Edited by Jingthing

My favourite is called, I think Blue Moon (or something-Moon) and is located next to the Pinnacle Hotel on Soi Ngam Duplee just off Rama IV.

Excellent Chinese food including julienne and deep fried eggplant with cilantro, the best seaweed salad I have ever tasted (lots of garlic) and great dumplings of all kinds. Very reasonable prices too. It looks like a hole in the wall (and is), probably the kind of place I would not have tried if someone hadn't given me the heads up.

My favourite is called, I think Blue Moon (or something-Moon) and is located next to the Pinnacle Hotel on Soi Ngam Duplee just off Rama IV.

Excellent Chinese food including julienne and deep fried eggplant with cilantro, the best seaweed salad I have ever tasted (lots of garlic) and great dumplings of all kinds. Very reasonable prices too. It looks like a hole in the wall (and is), probably the kind of place I would not have tried if someone hadn't given me the heads up.

I agree. A great place! The stuffed large green chilies in sauce are also nice. But you can't miss those chewy dumplings and also the eggplant. Fantastic. This is a small place and known by Chinese Thais, sometimes at lunch you can't get in there.

Edited by Jingthing

I also frequent the restaurant called Canton very near to Phaya Thai BTS station on Sukhumvit. This is a dim sum restaurant and I think quite good and incredibly inexpensive. It is a large place and usually filled with Chinese and Chinese/Thais. Service is excellent.

They have opened a branch in the new Central Festival in Pattaya; we tried it and the service was horrible and the food generally not as good as in Bangkok. It had just opened however and they may get it up to standard, I hope so.

• 7 months later...

Anyone know if any of these restaurants serve "shuijiao" (boiled dumplings that you smother in black vinegar, chilli and garlic to eat)? They tend to be one of those street-food dishes that is sold at a hole-in-the-wall shop and may not make it onto menus of up-market restaurants. I used to eat them all the time in Taiwan but haven't had them for years...for some reason I'm crazing them today.

I also frequent the restaurant called Canton very near to Phaya Thai BTS station on Sukhumvit. This is a dim sum restaurant and I think quite good and incredibly inexpensive. It is a large place and usually filled with Chinese and Chinese/Thais. Service is excellent.

They have opened a branch in the new Central Festival in Pattaya; we tried it and the service was horrible and the food generally not as good as in Bangkok. It had just opened however and they may get it up to standard, I hope so.

Yes, I have tried the Pattaya location several times, trying a large portion of their menu. Their is something lacking, perhaps B grade cooks. For example something simple like steamed whole fish with soy sauce, there was something off about it.

Anyone know if any of these restaurants serve "shuijiao" (boiled dumplings that you smother in black vinegar, chilli and garlic to eat)? They tend to be one of those street-food dishes that is sold at a hole-in-the-wall shop and may not make it onto menus of up-market restaurants. I used to eat them all the time in Taiwan but haven't had them for years...for some reason I'm crazing them today.

Ooh, me too GHS. I found some frozen dumplings at Tescos that weren't too bad, and made my own garlic/soy sauce. not bad and fulfilled my shuijiao craving :)

How about those papaya milkshakes they served too? mmmmm

THANK YOU THANK YOU. I did a drive-by recce a couple of days ago and I'm going over there with my appetite and my camera sometime over the next couple of days. SBK Tesco should have them but the one near me seems to have stopped stocking them. I'll send you a photo of Jingthing's recommendation.

The 'Garden Court' Chinese restaurant in the Chaophya Park Hotel on Ratchadapisek Road is top notch. By far the best Chinese I've tasted in Bangkok. It makes sense to look on Ratchadapisek for good Chinese food given that many of the Hotel's here are 'geared up' towards the Chinese and the Chinese Embassy is located here.