Things To Do In Bangkok....

cloudbusting

... that don't involve drink/pubs/clubs etc.

Any suggestions?

Is there much entertainment to be found outside the madness that is the Bangkok nightlife scene?

Bangkok has just about everything any other major metropolitan city has. Visit / call the Thai Cultural Center to see what they have on tap. Visit Thaiticketmaster to for concerts / events / etc. Take a cooking class. Do Yoga. Walk around Lumpini park. Take up gardening. Go see a movie. Go see an independent / art house movie at Siam Square or the theater in RCA. Learn ball room dancing or salsa dancing in the basement of the Intercontinental (Fogo Vivo). Get a book to read (Asia books, Kinokuniya, Dasa Books). Go watch a play. Visit any of the multitude of art galleries. Visit the design center on top floor of Emporium. Etc. etc. etc.

Can't really complain about the number of movie options available in BKK with house in the RCA being a nice alternative choice.

I never took advantage of the TCC which was a pity.

Jogging in Lumpini and reading in the Kinokuniya at Paragon I've done many times in the past.

Thaiticketmaster events rarely caight my attention.

Is there any online resource for finding out more on team sports played around Bangkok?

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

decisions, decisions....

Before I suggest any activity, I want to know.... What are you into? Sports? Relaxing/Chilling? Eating? Shopping unique hidden stuff of Bangkok (like the sort of stuff you will never find on the streets/department stores)?

What sort of friends do you have? Sporty friends? Young friends? Older friends? Rich friends? Thai friends ?

Before I suggest any activity, I want to know.... What are you into? Sports? Relaxing/Chilling? Eating? Shopping unique hidden stuff of Bangkok (like the sort of stuff you will never find on the streets/department stores)?

What sort of friends do you have? Sporty friends? Young friends? Older friends? Rich friends? Thai friends ?

Crazy psycho friends!!!!! :o

yeeha! WB CB!

er... my suggestions would be ... cinema, bowling, ice skating, eating, CAKE, shopping and walking in the dark scary soi :o

you do lots of cake research thithi and let me know where i can find the best cake in bangkok

Crazy psycho friends!!!!! :D

:D

sporting activities (mainly soccer/football) would be the one thing i have never come across in bkk and would miss

running in lumpini would be an alternative as i'm not too big a fan of gyms

mixture of friends but all under 35 or so

There are as many things to do in Bangkok as there are in most other cities, and normally it is less expensive here.

i disagree. which is why i posted a similar thread asking for suggestions not too long ago, but got few responses. things i miss: decent museums, poetry slams, author signings, independent films (some do make it here), live bands (non-thai), circus performances, burlesque shows, festivals/fairs, art openings (some exist here), good yoga classes (ones here suck), and any nightlife that involves some sort of entertainment other than sex shows and crappy djs. (i know what you are thinking- go home- but i am unfortunately trapped here for now...) if anyone hears of anything along these lines, please post!

and cloudbusting, let us know when we can expect brian the pimp back!

I'm not saying "go home", but I do think one has to adapt to a whole different culture. I think there are some pretty decent museums in Bangkok...although not if you're expecting something like the Smithsonian. Last year I thoroughly enjoyed Kukrit's House and (to my surprise) the King Prajadhipok Museum. I enjoy temple fairs. And just the different culture I can see and experience by walking around. One of my favorite things to do is to plan a walk between two temples that might be 2-3 km apart...I take it slow, visit the temples, talk with people, and in between stop in and check out anything that piques my curiosity. I do find the musuems in Bangkok tend to be smaller, one-theme places.

bkkjamie ... hah i no needa hold yr hand. the sexy women-alike selling Som Tam will do it :D another option is taxi motorbike guys !

RJT - we are nice not psycho, aren't we? :o or only u r psycho?

CB - yey think i'm allergic to cake now .... itchy itchy :D

bkkjamie ... hah i no needa hold yr hand. the sexy women-alike selling Som Tam will do it :D another option is taxi motorbike guys !

RJT - we are nice not psycho, aren't we? :o or only u r psycho?

CB - yey think i'm allergic to cake now .... itchy itchy :D

you like holding the hand of somtam sellers thithi? sounds kinda fishy to me.

There are as many things to do in Bangkok as there are in most other cities, and normally it is less expensive here.

i disagree. which is why i posted a similar thread asking for suggestions not too long ago, but got few responses. things i miss: '

decent museums yes they suck - although there is the neanderthal exhibition in Pattaya (bring it on!)

poetry slams I've seen occasional open mic nights - usually expat men reading Jefferson Airplane lyrics

author signings take a paperback down Soi Cowboy and I'm sure dozens of áuthors will be only too happy to oblige

independent films (some do make it here) It's pretty good here to be honest. There's also that institute or something near the top of Thong Lor. And the dvd market is very forward thinking

live bands (non-thai) Lee Shamrock at the Dubliner is all you could ever need :burp: .

circus performances see museums

burlesque shows Angels disco 3am

festivals/fairs loads actually, especially as organised by the embassies

art openings (some exist here) again, there are loads! Pick up a copy of BAM! each month.

good yoga classes (ones here suck) Not as far as I can make out from the billboards near Asok. Oh no, sorry. That was pole dancing.

and any nightlife that involves some sort of entertainment other than sex shows and crappy djs. Songs for Life bars (Tawan Daeng?), beer halls outside CentralWorld, RESTAURANTS!!, Expat pubs :D:D:D:D:wai::P:o :jerk: