Can I Revoke My Wife's Visa?

Hiya everyone,

I moved to England with my wife one year ago on a marraige/settlement visa, but since then the marraige has fallen apart and i'm trying to get her visa revoked, i don't think it is possible to do this as she has a two year visa already but somebody did tell me it was a possibility that if she were to leave the country and i was to then phone immigration and tell them i no longer am prepared to be her sponser and the marraige is over, she would then find it very difficult getting back to the uk, is this true? she is going back to see her family next month and i'd like to execute the plan then!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot.

That is a pity...

Anyway I went through the same plan here in Oz, with my x-wife. I went to try revoke her Visa, as I did not want her to have any access to my assets upon a divorce. I needed to supply divorce papers and a signed letter stating I do not wish to be her sponsor anymore. Immigration took note and I supplied my x-wife with this information when she went back to Thailand for a couple of months. My x-wife said she did not give a SH*$ , so we have never seen her again in over 5 years.

She could have got back into Aussie, but the threat & showing her the evidence of my attempts made it seem to much effort for her. She did not wish that immigration could have asked her to go back. I used her potentially losing face against her, if she attempted to regain entry. I told her not to waste her money and find another man. Hey, I had already build a house in Thai & her family got enough from us over a few years- so she did end up with nothing after 4 years marriage. Yet i know she would have tried for as much as she could get upon return.

This saved me a few hundred K- far easier than seperating with a women in your own country. Anyway that my 2 cents worth. :o

Think the idea of having the visa revoked on the grounds of non-sponsor issues may work during the 2 year temporary stage, but once Thai wife gets past this stage to PR, would imagine it would be a lot more difficult, if not impossible.

Don't forget most Thai women out of Thailand, married to men in their own countries have a very efficient and often daily used network of Thai Internet sites, where they all keep each other very much informed of not only their rights, but clever plans as well!

Hiya everyone,

I moved to England with my wife one year ago on a marraige/settlement visa, but since then the marraige has fallen apart

With the marriage broken, the base for the visa is gone - just tell the authorities and that is it!

However it is a bad kind of revenge, think about it!

With the marriage broken, the base for the visa is gone - just tell the authorities and that is it!

Not quite.

You can inform the BIA that the marriage is ended and that she is no longer living with you, but that does not necessarily mean that her current visa will be revoked.

However, when her spouse visa expires she will not be able to apply for ILR without your help; both of you would have to sign a declaration to say that the marriage is still in existence.

So, once her current visa expires then she would have to leave the UK or she would be here illegally. If it expires while she is out of the country then she would not be allowed back in.

You are presumably contemplating divorce. As she is currently holding a spouse visa then you presumably married in Thailand. This means that you can divorce each other at an Ampur in Thailand, if you both agree and both attend, through a court in Thailand or through a court in the UK. However, it is vital to remember that if you divorce at the Thai embassy in London then such a divorce would be valid in Thailand but not in the UK, so in the eyes of UK law you would still be married to her and any future marriage would be deemed bigamous in the UK and so illegal.

This is what you were advised when you asked the same question back in August:

"Whilst she's still in the UK, your wife can lawfully remain until such a time as her visa finishes or the UK Border Agency curtails her leave, but the latter is unlikely. Should your wife leave the UK, she could be refused entry upon trying to get back in as she would no longer meet the requirements of the visa.

You should write to the UK Border Agency explaining that your wife has leave to enter until whichever date, the relationship has irretrievably broken down and you won't be supporting any further applications which may be made. I hope that you have not responded to your wife's mercurial behaviour as she may then consider making an application for indefinite leave on the basis of domestic violence. If it's as bad as you say it is, it's best to get as much distance between the two of you as possible and, if you meet, to do so in a public place.

Scouse. "

Nothing's changed.

Hiya everyone,

I moved to England with my wife one year ago on a marraige/settlement visa, but since then the marraige has fallen apart and i'm trying to get her visa revoked, i don't think it is possible to do this as she has a two year visa already but somebody did tell me it was a possibility that if she were to leave the country and i was to then phone immigration and tell them i no longer am prepared to be her sponser and the marraige is over, she would then find it very difficult getting back to the uk, is this true? she is going back to see her family next month and i'd like to execute the plan then!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot.

If the personal circumstances of the applicant/sponsor has changed you may inform immigration, however that is a personal issue between you both. To answer your question yes you are correct she will possibly be detained and the visa cancelled and put on the next available flight home. I would not encourage anybody to do this however its a personal issue between you both.

the reason for posting this topic again (after the one from august) is because i wanted a little more info on what scouse had told me in august that if she were to leave the country without me she would have problems reentering. i fully aware she has her 2 year visa and can come and go as she pleases she is going back to thailand next month for 4 weeks and i was intrigued to know if she would indeed have problems reentering if i was not with her, which i believe is what scouse originally informed me in august, i just wanted some clarification on this.

thanks

Edited by cookieneedshelp

She can come and go as she pleases she maybe asked by immigration several questions etc.

If her circumstances have changed and you inform immigration you have separated and you have withdrawn your sponsorship then she may/will be refused entry. This happened earlier this year to a client i passed it on to another representative she was deported. As was a female on a Tourist visa deported due to the terms of the visa being issued.

I think you have all the answers ring immigration if you wish to clarify this point .

I have not heard so much baloney in my life

This visa forum is full of dangerous and incorrect garbage

Your wife has a two year visa she can come and go as she pleases (what you tell the Boarder Agency is meaningless as there are two sides to any story so why should they believe you.. stupid) that is what a spouse visa is, she is your wife and your responsibility.

If you have got any sense I would go see a solicitor ASAP and start divorce proceedings

Remember a wife is for life and not just for Christmas

I have not heard so much baloney in my life

This visa forum is full of dangerous and incorrect garbage

Your wife has a two year visa she can come and go as she pleases (what you tell the Boarder Agency is meaningless as there are two sides to any story so why should they believe you.. stupid) that is what a spouse visa is, she is your wife and your responsibility.

If you have got any sense I would go see a solicitor ASAP and start divorce proceedings

Remember a wife is for life and not just for Christmas

Mr Biggus,

I wholly agree with your last sentence, and I dislike the attitude of those who believe that just because they have imported a wife from a developing country they can "send her back" if the magic wears off when she gets here.

But I wonder why you feel qualified to challenge the statements of the Scouse and Mariner29, both of whom are registered OISC advisors.

The Border (not "Boarder") Agency don't take sides, but the simple fact is that if the OP informs them that the marriage has broken down and he is withdrawing his sponsorship, there are only very limited circumstances (i.e. proven domestic violence against her) in which she would be given further leave to remain in this country. It is also a fact that an Immigration Officer at a port of entry has the power to cancel a visa if he can show that there has been a change of circumstances since it was issued. Having cancelled the visa, he can then refuse entry. However, cancellation doesn't necessarily lead to immediate removal, because the holder can exercise a right of appeal before he/she goes.

In practice, if the OP writes to UKBA at Croydon, he's done his duty and he should then forget about it. It's not up to him what happens to her immigration status thereafter. His information may or may not be recorded in such a way that it's available to the IO sat on the control at the airport. I think that's quite unlikely. He could, of course, if he knew her likely time and place of arrival, communicate it directly to the Immigration Office concerned, and she probably would be held up.

But what happens to her if she is held up is none of his business. As you say, having passed on the info relevant to her immigration status, he (and she) should concentrate on resolving their marital status.

Well, I'm with Mrbiggus on this one..(and no, I'm not a registered immigration advisor either)

But it seems that the whole idea of sponsorship is that YOU have undertaken to be responsible for her, her actions, her health, her shelter - even if the marriage breaks down. The's the whole idea of the sponsrship/undertaking - so that the State doesn't get stuck with another immigrant on benefits. Isn't that the case and the motivation?

In other words the onus isn't on her - it's on YOU - for the remainder of the two years.

Perhaps I'm wrong...but look, it could be worse, in Canada they stick you for seven years (though i heard they've relaxed the number of years a bit). If she walks out, goes on the game, robs a bank, whatever - the sponsoring spouse is on the hook for all the costs - and the government will sue him and garnishee his wages til it's all paid back. Pretty sobering, no?

Your address is on the Visa that she holds. This shows the IM officer her recorded address. If commence divorce proceedings have the papers served upon her, also get your solicitor to write to the Border Agency.

I take it that you have copies of her passport and Visa...???

Despite previous advice, some good, some rude and unhelpful, you have a duty as sponsor and husband to provide necessary welfare for your wife. You can of course withdraw sponsorship. However, it is an action that will lead to her being refused entry, if she has had her sponsorship and address taken away she will be refused entry.

A sad story, perhaps you can work your differences out............................

be careful as one poster said,there is a vast network of thais helping each other in the uk.she may even say you slapped her,then problems.i thought she could divorce you and get 50% of your assetts.

Edited by patklang

be careful as one poster said,there is a vast network of thais helping each other in the uk.she may even say you slapped her,then problems.i thought she could divorce you and get 50% of your assetts.

I live in the USA and as a contract engineer, have worked in several states. Since I started going to Thailand four years ago, I have dated a few Thai girls that live in the USA. As it turns out, each was recently divorced, or at least they said they were. Each one had one USA born child. Each one said the husband hit her so she filed for divorce.

Now, I am well aware of domestic disputes and problems, but this was sounding like a statistical anomaly.

I have no doubts that each of them manufactured this situation, and either exaggerated to the officials or flat out lied to Child Protection services etc. I am sure most of you have heard or been warned that scams like this do exist. Even if the girl came here and married with reasonable decent intentions, once they get 11,000 miles from home, things happen. You don't know the pressures that may be put on them by advisors or friends or families back in Thailand.

Now she has a US baby citizen, and in many US states a hel_l of a lot of protection from the law because of her beating claim. The guy here is usually assumed wrong and tossed out of his house as soon as she dials 911.

If things went really bad, I would have no reservations about doing everything I could to revoke her visa priviledges. Being a sponsor means you will care for her in the USA or UK in this OP's case. If she heads back to Thailand, well, that sponsorship responsibility is over. If she wants to come back, let her find her own way, pay her own way, and support her self. I think it is unlikely she could raise the funds to buy a plane ticket, and then find lodging in your country and pay for it.

I have to believe one can stop sponsoring. I have not read all the fine print on how the USA works. But if things ever went sour, then the deal is off. If I was nice, I might buy a plane ticket to send her back to Thailand just to get her out of the way.

I leave the details up to the experts on how best to break things off.

This is what you were advised when you asked the same question back in August:

"Whilst she's still in the UK, your wife can lawfully remain until such a time as her visa finishes or the UK Border Agency curtails her leave, but the latter is unlikely. Should your wife leave the UK, she could be refused entry upon trying to get back in as she would no longer meet the requirements of the visa.

You should write to the UK Border Agency explaining that your wife has leave to enter until whichever date, the relationship has irretrievably broken down and you won't be supporting any further applications which may be made. I hope that you have not responded to your wife's mercurial behaviour as she may then consider making an application for indefinite leave on the basis of domestic violence. If it's as bad as you say it is, it's best to get as much distance between the two of you as possible and, if you meet, to do so in a public place.

Scouse. "

Nothing's changed.

My wife is an Ex Thai person who I met in Leicester 20 years ago - she now has a Britsh Passport - can I get her passport revoked as she makes me go and watch Leicester City every Saturday :o

Thankyou for the information so far from a select few but some of you guys really do make me laugh when it comes to giving advice. telling me a wife is for life and not just 'for xmas, and saying things like :

"Mr Biggus,

I wholly agree with your last sentence, and I dislike the attitude of those who believe that just because they have imported a wife from a developing country they can "send her back" if the magic wears off when she gets here"

this ridiculous comment by Eff1n2ret

How can you say a comment to me like this when yoyu have absolutely no knowledge of my situation or what i've done in my power to make my marraige work (which is pretty much everything) i work hard and tryed to keep my wife well and beckon to her every need since she's been here.

please refrain from your stupid comments when you obviously have no idea what your talking about.

thanks to those with decent helpful comments.

I have to believe one can stop sponsoring. I have not read all the fine print on how the USA works. But if things ever went sour, then the deal is off. If I was nice, I might buy a plane ticket to send her back to Thailand just to get her out of the way.

Yep - I hear you. But I think that's wishful thinking. Remember - and my God - Americans should understand this by now. Your country (anyone's country) doesn't give a sh+t about 'them' or protecting you from 'them'. The idea of these 'sponsorships' is to make sure the Government doesn't get stuck with the bill - or the problem - they want the costs associated with 'your' problem to be yours - and yours alone if things go sour. Again - I guess it differs country by country - but probably not much. It's not designed to protect the national of that coutnry - it's to protect the collective interests of the country's treasury/security.

Yep - I hear you. But I think that's wishful thinking. Remember - and my God - Americans should understand this by now. Your country (anyone's country) doesn't give a sh+t about 'them' or protecting you from 'them'. The idea of these 'sponsorships' is to make sure the Government doesn't get stuck with the bill - or the problem - they want the costs associated with 'your' problem to be yours - and yours alone if things go sour. Again - I guess it differs country by country - but probably not much. It's not designed to protect the national of that coutnry - it's to protect the collective interests of the country's treasury/security.

I believe you stated things quite correctly. The laws are intended to protect the state. So, once I send her back, I don't see how the State could hold me responsible, especially if I "resign" from the job!

Of course all those divorce laws may come into play, and where the child was born, etc. if applicable.

Ugggh. I think I just scared myself further away from the idea! I would rather be alone and have all my accumulated wealth from my work, then alone and with less than half after she left!

Without the legal background to support this, it would seem logical to me that if the Thai lady returns to Thailand and the husband revokes his sponsorship, then it is purely up to the UK government to decide whether to allow her to return and if they do allow her to return, knowing that she has no sponsor, they should be responsible.

Personally I would do that anyway but would also accompany her to Thailand to seek a divorce at the Amphur if at all possible.

Whilst I agree that we only get one side of the story here, I would caution guys from automatically siding with the wife when those who have been around the LOS scene for a while know just how devious and unscrupulous some of the girls can be. Whilst I think the vast majority of guys head into marriage either as a lifelong partnership or as a means of having their loved one near them, I do not think we can attribute the same qualities to the same percentage of ladies, many of which are seeking only personal betterment and in some cases, the right to live and work in the west. In these cases, other forces are often working behind the scenes.

Has anyone heard about a western guy fleecing his Thai wife for all she has ? Has anyone heard about the Thai partner fleecing the western guy for all his assets. No need to answer that one directly.

We just received my wife's FLR back from the UK Border Agency today. In with it was a letter and some info about what to do next etc. At the bottom of this info there is a section entitled, What happend if my relationship breaks down. Basically it says if the relationship breaks down and the foreign national wants to remain in the UK they will have to re-apply for permission to stay on a different basis. It gives a phone number to call about such enquiries: Immigration Enquiry Bureau 0870 606 7766.