Thai Choppers

barrybike

Thanks for the photos, some nice stuff. Right now I'm in BKK but moving up north to Chiang Rai. As for budget, Id just like to know if something like this is achievable for 200 - 300K baht. Springer front end, nice sturdy motor and some antique fat tyres. Am i dreaming?

you wont build a harley engined bobber for the money you are talking but you could with a jap engine ...sr 400 or sr 500 like this photo or similar

post-70166-1268076912_thumb.jpg

post-70166-1268076953_thumb.jpg

Edited by barrybike

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies again. Looks like a few nights in for me! I wanna do this well and would like a v-style motor and I reckon that alone could cost me $6000. Can anyone comment on the parts situation out here i.e. are there builders making engines and frames or is everything imported (with the dreaded VAT). With all the major tyre companies having some presence, I'd hope that they may make some classic tyres.

Thanks for the replies again. Looks like a few nights in for me! I wanna do this well and would like a v-style motor and I reckon that alone could cost me $6000. Can anyone comment on the parts situation out here i.e. are there builders making engines and frames or is everything imported (with the dreaded VAT). With all the major tyre companies having some presence, I'd hope that they may make some classic tyres.

there is dozens of builders around that can make any frame you want to ...if u cant afford harley engine...go for a v twin honda shadow,yamaha warrior,suzuki marauder etc ...look at my other pictures on other threads and you will see what i mean ...some great choppers in thailand and they dont have to have a harley motor..vee rubber is a very big tyre compant in thailand and they do all sizes up to 360 mm wide i think they even have a 400 mm one soon ...go to the thai chopper builders ..stay away from the touristy spots and foreigner based shops...thats if you want a good job done at the right money

I really really (really) like that Yamaha bobber, anybody know where I can buy something like that? How much would it set me back and would it come with a green book (i.e., would it be completely legal)?

contact k speed ..they are the owners of the bike you are on about there info is here phone number ,address and e mail etc

http://www.bangkokmotorbikefestival.com/eng/exhibitors.html

and theres loads of other shop contact numbers too ...so there should be of them there to put you on the right track

Edited by barrybike

I really really (really) like that Yamaha bobber, anybody know where I can buy something like that? How much would it set me back and would it come with a green book (i.e., would it be completely legal)?

contact k speed ..they are the owners of the bike you are on about there info is here phone number ,address and e mail etc

and theres loads of other shop contact numbers too ...so there should be of them there to put you on the right track

Great info page! Thanks for posting that Barry...Made myself a hard copy too

Great info page! Thanks for posting that Barry...Made myself a hard copy too

thanks .....glad to be of help to some one.........if any more of ye take photos of custom bikes in thailand can you add them to this thread cheers

been a fan of Confederate bikes a long time, the Wraith a favourite.

Saw a Thai magazine in a coffee shop this week - 'art & design' not a bike mag, and it had a feature on this bike as an example of design/style (I suppose that's what it was, i couldn't read it)

120 cubic inch, 160hp at rear wheel (claimed), 460lbs

Anyway, here's a pic, and a link Confederate P120

Edited by genghis61

Saw a Thai magazine in a coffee shop this week - 'art & design' not a bike mag, and it had a feature on this bike as an example of design/style (I suppose that's what it was, i couldn't read it)

Did you check out their online store? I almost fell off my office chair when I saw the price of their leather jackets. :D Oh and the jackets are marked down to their price..strewth :)

Confederate Online Store

:)

Did you check out their online store? I almost fell off my office chair when I saw the price of their leather jackets. :D Oh and the jackets are marked down to their price..strewth :D

Confederate Online Store

prices are over the top...a bit like their bikes :D

• 3 weeks later...
Not all choppers are the same. Some of these guys put a lot of love, attention and money into their rides.

Picture010.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture018.jpg

(can post more later. My 'net connection is sucking big time right now and I can't get any more u/l'd to photobucket)

Wonder how the two pictured Honda choppers would look after hitting one of the holes in the roads in the Krasang area outside Buriram. Very modified for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos on this thread :)

If I was going to build a Japanese engine bobber here in the land of smiles(and I intend too soon), I have always loved the Yamaha XS650. Lots of great stuff is being done with them. It has kind of a cult following, but several are usually available around Thailand. Look up custom XS650 on Google, lot's of inspiration. As far as the green book, I'm still trying to figure out the deal on custom bikes or old bikes that no longer have one. For me I want to be legal, so the search is dragging on. I have read a couple of threads here about registering bikes. I think a new and definitive thread on green books and old/custom bikes should be started by the more knowledgeable folks here. (that's not me).