Thai Choppers

barrybike

Ok you could design and have a builder build the bike for you. Which I am sure is just as much fun.

Does Kustom Thor build one offs? Probably.

Arlen Ness, Big Bears Chopper, Exile Cycles, OCC etc all build production choppers for the masses. Most are around the US$50,000 mark (Stateside)

yes thor will build you any style you want www.thorchops-kustoms.com

however due to the credit crunch world wide i dont think there will be many buying this type of bike this year .people will be keeping their money for more important things.........

Yes I know they do. Couple of months back I researched about building my own chopper. The costs of building one had proven to be quite prohibitive! So I'll stick to my custom track bike for now. :o

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Barry that they're really cool custom bikes, but the chopper comes from racing the old Harley's not customizing them to look like art. I also agree the new EFI engine is reliable vs the old unreliable engine, and I have absolutely nothing against Harley, the riders, custom bikes or there riders. We are all riders and we all enjoy riding the bikes we got.

I have been to the bike weeks and I do find lot of really cool looking custom bikes, a lot of effort goes into them and I think the Thai custom bikers are pretty high up on what they do to the bikes. I would not call them choppers though as they're not chopped apart to go faster or better.

I ride with Harley riders and I have nothing bad to say about any of them, as long as they are in mixed group of bikes such as Jap's, Brit's and German bikes they're cool to be with and normally ride very good in perfect formation making it easy to ride with. Problem starts normally if it is a pure Harley gang, with a lot of people who re-invent themselves and suddenly have Jap engine tossing, burn a Jap bike and so on and are becoming morons in a gang, though only when together. Luckily there is little of this in Thailand and I hope that is going to stay.

Ehh Easy Rider, look at it again and also hit it up on the net, or take a look at Discovery Turbo they had a nice documentary on choppers, Easy Rider and it's influence, great documentary actually.

Anyways the point I tried to bring across was the bikes on this thread are custom bikes and not choppers. A chopped car is one they remove all excessive stuff on and replacing lot with Carbon. A chopped bike is the same, done for performance.

And yes believe it or not I did meet 3 guys with glue on tattoos on the last bike show in Bang Saen, hence I brought it up.

Cheers Bard

Does not matter what engine is used. As long as the concept of custom is achieved.

The point was, many of those bikes (i.e. the ones with 4 cylinders) are not Harleys, they are Hondas, Kawasakis and Yamahas. :o

I ride with Harley riders and I have nothing bad to say about any of them, as long as they are in mixed group of bikes such as Jap's, Brit's and German bikes they're cool to be with and normally ride very good in perfect formation making it easy to ride with. Problem starts normally if it is a pure Harley gang, with a lot of people who re-invent themselves and suddenly have Jap engine tossing, burn a Jap bike and so on and are becoming morons in a gang, though only when together. Luckily there is little of this in Thailand and I hope that is going to stay.

Cheers Bard

My thoughts exactly. I love to ride with anyone, regardless what type of bike they own. True MC's IMO make no difference on type of ride, they stick together.

getting back to chopper thing,here is a bike thor from bangkok built that came runner up in the asian bike building championship (amd) it called brass knuckle.as its name says it mostly built using brass and an old knuckle head harley engine used.......

post-70166-1231378855_thumb.jpg

I agree Barry that they're really cool custom bikes, but the chopper comes from racing the old Harley's not customizing them to look like art. I also agree the new EFI engine is reliable vs the old unreliable engine, and I have absolutely nothing against Harley, the riders, custom bikes or there riders. We are all riders and we all enjoy riding the bikes we got.

I have been to the bike weeks and I do find lot of really cool looking custom bikes, a lot of effort goes into them and I think the Thai custom bikers are pretty high up on what they do to the bikes. I would not call them choppers though as they're not chopped apart to go faster or better.

Ehh Easy Rider, look at it again and also hit it up on the net, or take a look at Discovery Turbo they had a nice documentary on choppers, Easy Rider and it's influence, great documentary actually.

Anyways the point I tried to bring across was the bikes on this thread are custom bikes and not choppers. A chopped car is one they remove all excessive stuff on and replacing lot with Carbon. A chopped bike is the same, done for performance.

And yes believe it or not I did meet 3 guys with glue on tattoos on the last bike show in Bang Saen, hence I brought it up.

Cheers Bard

yes bard i agree with you on some things ....but the bikes at the start of this topic i would call choppers ,,,,their original frame is cut and choped lenghtened,raked etc..i would call these bikes more than custom bikes ....choppers at its best ..now those bikes thor built from bangkok,...i would call these custom bikes purley and not choppers........

here is a picture of what is the one and only west coast chopper bike in all of asia....frame built by jesse james..the guy who owns it is from malaysia,he rode it to phuket bike week 08.......that paper framed left on the bike is sealed and stamped and signed by jesse james to prove its not a copy.....

post-70166-1231431002_thumb.jpg

Even though my preference goes to sport bikes I sure do admire work these guys put into it. Whoever says they aren't headturners is wrong.

Ride comfort and safety is another matter though.

I agree. Choppers/Show Bikes hold no interest for me but I can understand why some like them.

And anyone who can ride 800 klms Pattaya to Phuket in one day on one of these things has my respect.

Here's 4 bikes I think are cool. What it probably says about me is I like V twins, and I like customs. And if people don't like the same thing as me that's fine, I can live with that. But, what I fine annoying is people who think I am strange or weird because of my choices and they want to tell me so. But I been getting that for the last 40 years so I don't expect it will change anytime soon! Being a motorcyclist ain't that strange... is it... really?

post-63954-1231484949_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1231484980_thumb.jpg

post-63954-1231484970_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1231484958_thumb.jpg

Edited by BSJ

How much are you willing to put down on a ready made custom bike travelmate.

In Europe I made a bunch of them and won a few awards, so if you're interested let me know and I'll set up up with a beauty if you want for your budget.

Cheers Bard

In Europe I made a bunch of them and won a few awards, so if you're interested let me know and I'll set up up with a beauty if you want for your budget.

Cheers Bard

where in europe.are you a custom bike builder ?????????? show some pics of stuff you done .............cheers

Let me correct you Barry, where in Europe was I involved in building custom bikes? Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany and I helped build bikes for Bandidos and HA, plus folks who wanted them.

Pictures, well since I left 10 years ago they're all in printed pictures from negatives but I can scan some and can upload to your email. Or you're more than welcome to come by and look through them. I don't want to pull out skeletons from the closet, so I would appreciate if we did that offline. They were all custom bikes except three real choppers where all we did was turbo charge and Nitrous the bikes plus removing all excessive weight.

Cheers Bard

Let me correct you Barry, where in Europe was I involved in building custom bikes? Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany and I helped build bikes for Bandidos and HA, plus folks who wanted them.

Pictures, well since I left 10 years ago they're all in printed pictures from negatives but I can scan some and can upload to your email. Or you're more than welcome to come by and look through them. I don't want to pull out skeletons from the closet, so I would appreciate if we did that offline. They were all custom bikes except three real choppers where all we did was turbo charge and Nitrous the bikes plus removing all excessive weight.

Cheers Bard

bard i sent u a pm

Cheers Bard

Thanks for the offer Bard. Unfortunately I have no interests in built up custom bikes. I prefer to build one myself from the ground up. :o

Having looked at frames, rolling chassis, etc. Costs can mount up fairly quickly. So gone off that idea. And will just buy a sport tourer and ride all over Thailand for this year. :D