Khon Kaen Bike Week Vol 2. 20th, 21st Feb 2009

johngooding

Ray can you post or pm the info please. cos my bike might not be finished in time. i think i would rather get one in udon than have to travel all the way to Pattaya. do you know what sort of condition the bikes are in and what's available. thanks Allan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Allan,

Confirm what Ray says. Khon Kaen only has bikes up to 200cc (Phantom) available for hire. Ray knows places in Udon that have bikes up to 400cc. Sometimes bigger available but normally only to people who are wishing to buy, so testing them for a while.

Hope you get something satisfactory sorted. Cheers John

John can you pm me Ray's number so i can contact him. i will pm you mine just in case you just want to pass it on. thanks Allan

Also if i have to i will ride a bloody Phantom :o

I have been looking forward to this for a few weeks. and the bloody shop that's repairing my bike are being tit heads.

Edited by thaicbr

Hi Allen...Lex car rental has Honda Steeds , 700 BT / day plus 5000BT deposit .www.udonmap.com they advertise there and post photos of actual bikes , I used them during Udon bike week and can highly recomend , Maybe see you in KK, Mike

Lek is good and that was what I was thinking of as well.

They will let you in a on a trycicle if you want to come don't worry about things like that. :D

By the way I went by and purchased two hindred pencils, not a big deal to bring somehing with you small it will add up with all the bikes going. What the heck they are feeding us :D

188 baht I don't drink how many beers is that :o:D

Hope everyone has recovered from the madness at Pattaya Burapa and is gearing up for the Khon Kaen Bike Week!

(Actually seems a lot of Bangkok riders are going to miss this one due to work obligations, but I'm going to check it out all the same)

Anyone else fancy a ride from Bangkok? Drop me a line and we'll figure out a meeting point.

Who else is going? Peter from Rayong may go. Bunch of guys coming from Udon, Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai. Any bikers in Bangkok wanna ride together? Give a shout!

Happy Trails!

PM'd you, mate. Let me know what you're planning...I have plenty of time.

G

Hope everyone has recovered from the madness at Pattaya Burapa and is gearing up for the Khon Kaen Bike Week!

(Actually seems a lot of Bangkok riders are going to miss this one due to work obligations, but I'm going to check it out all the same)

Anyone else fancy a ride from Bangkok? Drop me a line and we'll figure out a meeting point.

Who else is going? Peter from Rayong may go. Bunch of guys coming from Udon, Phitsanulok and Chiang Mai. Any bikers in Bangkok wanna ride together? Give a shout!

Happy Trails!

PM'd you, mate. Let me know what you're planning...I have plenty of time.

G

Cheers G!

Just sent you a reply and hope we can hook up for a fun ride to the Khon Kaen Bike Rally this weekend.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Well girls and boys. I have arranged my ride for the weekend.......... A Tiger boxer 250 courtesy of Tiger. Gave them a call (well Charlie did) and arranged a 4 day test ride. so i will be steaming up to KK at a steady 130-140kmh :o .

who wants to join me?

getting it tomorrow after noon so can go up Friday morning now. ohhhh life is grand :D

Well girls and boys. I have arranged my ride for the weekend.......... A Tiger boxer 250 courtesy of Tiger. Gave them a call (well Charlie did) and arranged a 4 day test ride. so i will be steaming up to KK at a steady 130-140kmh :o .

who wants to join me?

getting it tomorrow after noon so can go up Friday morning now. ohhhh life is grand :D

Congrats on the bike.

Give Tony a bump.

Who is Charlie?

who wants to join me?

That's GREAT news Allan!

Grant and I are hoping to be on the road by 7 to get out of town before rush hour. Probably meet on Ramkamhaeng at the Petronas Gas Station across from Red Baron. Any way you can join us by then? I'd think 130-140km/hr would be fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Boxer250!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Ok i went and got the Tiger so will be going up to Khon Kaen. after the accident my wrists were sore but i thought they were ok now. ummm 1st time back on a bike and bloody painful. off for a ride tnite to see what the Boxer250 is like then make a decision ride or drive.

Allan

Ok. I'm going to Khon Kaen on my borrowed Tiger Boxer 250. but all the big boys and their toys are leaving me behind. So who would like to join me in an easy 130-140kmh cruise to KK tmorro morning. i'm intending to be out of BKK by about 10am. can meet anywhere. Pm me if ya want to ride up.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Hi Allan,

Wishing you a safe and pleasant ride.

I'll be blasting off bright and early with about 20 other big bikes from the Yamaha Big Bike Showroom behind the Esplanade Mall on Ratchada. Should be a fun ride.

Look forward to seeing you in KK.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I'm still away from homebase (in Khorat Scouting about :o ) but as a prelude I will say the organisers were on the ball with this one.

J. Gooding did his farang commander speech and issued a rallying cry to all bikers in Khon Kaen and beyond! :D

Indeed, if it wasn't for near crippling and perpetual heat I'd buzz up to the city of Khon Kaen for living as it's got plenty of biker scenery, the girls, the bars AND loads of thai bikers who actually ride decent machines.

The Thai commander was also decent and clever about the event as well, kind of reminding me of kato off the Green Hornet somehow.

There were loads of cool bikes, lots more sportsbikes and the like.

Sexy coyotes and showgirls buzzing about the stands.

I left at 2100 hrs cause I was knackered from heat and the touring I'd done all week.

But I got some pretty fruity images and videos.

The ride to the school was cool, the tourist police were laissez-faire on the speeds, as long as we kept behind him. So that meant plenty of harrying and skirmishing after the petrol station from myself, the outlaw element and a renegade fazer :D :D

One of the bikers slammed on the anchors too hard and cause the rider behind him to drop her bike, no damage though apart from a scratched fender.

Ok I'm waffling without pics so I'll buzz out now until I get the report done properly!

Edited by JimsKnight

Well, all back safe and sound , KK was a good show as seen below and hey the bikes were not bad either :o

The line up...

bikes.jpg

The spirit of things...

ducati.jpg

Some casualties...

forsale.jpg

Say no more...

heaven.jpg

we behaved like gentlemen...

Edited by CroBiker
CroBiker: posting nudity is against forum rules. Image removed.

WOOT!

Good times at the Khon Kaen Bike Week!

Fun ride up with all the Yamaha guys, but dam_n it took us a while to get there on account of all the stops.

It was a blast and I had a bunch of great pictures, but then I had a 'minor' equipment malfunction- icon_eek.gif

DeadCameraFrt.jpg

You might notice the camera is labeled "shock proof" and "crush proof", but apparently the camera is not Tony proof! icon_wink.gif

DeadCameraBack.jpg

Good to see Peter got some good (and incriminating) pics :o

Happy Trails!

Tony

Good to see Peter got some good (and incriminating) pics :o

Man you must in with the Thaivisa boys..they just removed the evidence. :D something about nudity :D

Aw man- that pic was so out of focus it was hardly incriminating, but ah well- I understand Thai Visa has to keep things pretty innocent to avoid any problems with the Thai morality police... :D

Simply another outstanding video by Greg Towle.

It's hard life here but I do the best I can with it LOL

You know they ever put all this bike weeks together and you would have another Sturgis.

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just thought I'd post a follow up to my trip to KK - and beyond. See link to route taken below.

I left on Friday with the group of guys from Yamaha - thanks Tony, Peter, Trent and all the Yamaha guys for the great hospitality and warm welcome given to a to a new face - and a non-Yammie rider to-boot.

(See the photo of the yellow Sport Classic below - that's Renzo's Award Winning duc - best turned out sportsbike of the KK Bike Week. Props Renzo!)

Then following the event, I stayed the Sunday night in KK - had a night out with John, Ian and his wife and West. A few beers and a nice night out on the town lake.

Then a brief ferreting of the rabbit warren, where some prey was swiftly taken, tagged and returned to the jungle, ruffled but unharmed.

John was kind enough to accompany me to Udon Thani the next day, where we took mostly back roads - which wound through the countryside of cane and paddy fields. A lovely rural route, and a final blast up to Udon. Thanks John - a great start to the remainder of my trip!

A night in Udon, and an early morning departure for Nong Khai. Lovely little town on the River. A pleasant brunch and a coffee break by the river and an American guy popped down from his townhouse to say hi - and said he heard the 'duc coming. He just had to come take a look. Cheers Tom, and thanks for the tips on places to stay.

Then on to Loei and a stay at the King/s Hotel. And what a great ride that was. Highly recommended, and big thanks again to John and West who helped me plan my route.

The next bit was a bit more random - but I knew I wanted to hit the "12" on the fabled twisty, sweeping route on the way heading back towards Chum Phae. So I hit that eventually - after the lovely road from Loei, through Phu Reua (just so pretty) and down towards Lom Sak. I was planning to take the 2216 cross country then the 12 back towards Petchabun - but the 2216 was under heavy road works, and without a GS or similar, taking that was not on the cards for me.

This day left me quite knackered and I ended up staying in unchartered waters in Chaiyaphum. I stayed at the Deeprom Hotel - which is brand new, very central, has undercover parking and is 800 baht per night. It includes a simple buffet breakfast (and you get 2 coupons for breakfast - when i asked if i could have only one coupon and a price reduction, they refused. I have no idea why... :o ). There's some kinda cool little bungalows with a personal littel parking space right beside (covered) just behind the hospital on the way out of town. They're 450 baht, no BF - and a bit less conveniently located ph: 044 837249/837259.

There's a few things to do in Chaiyaphum but not many. A couple of pubs - quite local style, the obligatory night market, there's a Lotus/Tesco (or Macro - i forget) - and really not so many places to stay.

I've got to say also that the 304 route back to Bangkok was a nice one to take - and when they finish the road works on some parts that trucks have just murdered, it should be a great run.

I met some great people on this trip, and thanks to everyone. And when I recover and tend to some servicing items here in Bangkok, I'm planning to hit another...maybe in about a week - 10 day's time... see the other link posted below.

A good portion of that route follows the SSR ride - which has just left and I couldn't make. Much to my dismay. However, some of the parts that I'm most initerested in are the NAN, Petchabun, Pitsanulok areas.

www.maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Bang+Na-Trat&daddr=Route+2%2FMittraphap+to:Route+2%2FMittraphap%2FNational+Hwy+No.+2+to:Route+2183+to:16.854491,103.015022+to:Route+2%2FMittraphap%2FNational+Hwy+No.+2+to:Route+2%2FMittraphap+to:Route+211+to:Route+211+to:Route+201+to:Route+203+to:Route+21+to:

Route+2055+to:Route+2037+to:Route+201+to:Route+205+to:Route+304+to:Route+36+to:R

o

ute+3%2FBang+Na+Chon+buri+Expy%2FBurapha+Withi+Expy&geocode=FU5y0AAdHv__BQ%3BFXLI4gAdSsgPBg%3BFdyv-gAdGPMgBg%3BFZut_AAdZ9whBg%3B%3BFTLYCAEdkuwgBg%3BFRyHEAEdatQfBg%3BFRTvDwEduB0fBg%3BFVwiEgEdiA8cBg%3BFX7uCgEdwiIQBg%3BFWxbCgEd9LkKBg%3BFUqw_wAdkmQIBg%3BFW7w-wAdfg4TBg%3BFb6U9wAdSlYTBg%3BFQKT8QAdBEoVBg%3BFQJm5wAdEMAVBg%3BFXCX4wAdkGgVBg%3BFUJCxgAd8jAEBg%3BFWTpzwAdjvcABg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=1&mrsp=4&sz=12&via=1,3,4,7,8,10,11,12,13,16&sll=16.858762,102.96524&sspn=0.150155,0.238266&ie=UTF8&ll=12.961903,101.057396&spn=0.07645,0.119133&z=13

The other link...

www.maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Bang+Na-Trat&daddr=16.399201,101.134644+to:Route+12+to:Route+1080+to:Route+1020+to:Route+

107+to:Route+1095+to:Route+105+to:Route+3%2FBang+Na+Chon+buri+Expy%2FBurapha+Withi+Expy&geocode=FU5y0AAdHv__BQ%3B%3BFTrYAAEdpHP7BQ%3BFUpEIAEdzF4BBg%3BFfDuLgEdHpPzBQ%3BFVpsKQEd7BznBQ%3BFURyKgEdCEXaBQ%3BFbqoFAEdsnbWBQ%3BFWTpzwAdjvcABg&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=5&sll=16.815058,100.805054&sspn=2.402848,3.812256&ie=UTF8&ll=18.656654,99.503174&spn=2.378274,3.812256&z=8

post-20534-1236085438_thumb.jpg

post-20534-1236085481_thumb.jpg

post-20534-1236086978_thumb.jpg

Edited by gragra

Thanks for the report Grant. It was fun to ride with you and would be happy to join you for some of th Northern parts of your trip if it fits with timetables here.

Not quite figured your links, Do you just paste whole thing into Google maps?

Cheers, John