Santika Club Owner Meets Police; Prepares To Compensate Victims

george

I think he is going to need a lot more than 2 mil baht.... 32 survivors in ICU are probably costing at least that amount every day.

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

I think there are few more parties liable to pay: The very government body responsible for overseeing safety inspections- The Ministry of the Interior(???). Another party that should also be liable is the Thai Government itself; ultimately they oversee this ministry responsible for keeping its people safe to which it too has also failed. There's more than enough money to give these poor souls families, millions of Baht - I believe !

Thanks,

Randy

The problem is why should rich people get paid off when poor people of this country with just as many if not more difficult issues don't get a shoe in? Think Deep South, Issan, Karen, all the people living on the railways tracks...

The system is rigged and although the authorities are willing to pay for the legally attributed costs of this tragedy they should not be given a blank slate just because they (depending on your point of view) accepted/skimmed/extorted/skimmed/accepted enough in the past or near future to cover their negative cash flow from this event.

One question with an event like this is whether the voting majority care enough about the issue to make it a serious political item or if it can be hushed by enough cash to the affected parties. I'm very interested in how this event plays out in the public view over the next few months. For example, in NZ heads would be rolling.

If I was one of the affected families,citizens or tourists I would be baying for blood right now.

Just that the small stone thrown in the koi pond doesn't usually hit a big fish.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update, if anyone cares:

All 4 missing have been found amongst the dead.

:o

I'm so sorry for your loss. When you first posted the picture of your group I had some hope but feared the worse. When you posted that the girl had been ID'd I really got to me on a more personal level. It was someone with a name and picture and one had had hope of a hapy resolution to the tragidy. So the realisation of the true nature of the events hit so much harder. I'm not going to pretend I know what you are going through, I just hope you will be able to get the love and support you need at this time.

The part that hurts the most is that his body was found along with 2 of the friends at the rear exit...

We believe the girl was hit by debris from the roof, and her bf tried to help, but either passed out, or he and my bro managed to get her to the rear exit before passing out. Unfortunately, when the rescue teams came, they only went in from the front... As for the last friend, apparently he had already managed to get to safety, but didn't see any of us, so went back in... He was found in the vicinity of the entrance, only a few meters from the 3...

*sigh*

Life truly is so fragile. I really wish I had gone in further to search for them... Now all of them are gone in 1 go, and I'm here all alone...

This whole situation is gut wrenching, especially to the families and friends. You did the right thing by not going back in as you would have only ended up as your friend. You saved your family the grief of losing both of you.

People always say that some good comes from these tragedies, but that is hard to see on this one. Still, as a parent this tragedy has brought to realization the dangers these venues have to our children. I have never thought twice about this. Now I will.

Stay strong.

I think he is going to need a lot more than 2 mil baht.... 32 survivors in ICU are probably costing at least that amount every day.

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

I think there are few more parties liable to pay: The very government body responsible for overseeing safety inspections- The Ministry of the Interior(???). Another party that should also be liable is the Thai Government itself; ultimately they oversee this ministry responsible for keeping its people safe to which it too has also failed. There's more than enough money to give these poor souls families, millions of Baht - I believe !

Thanks,

Randy

The problem is why should rich people get paid off when poor people of this country with just as many if not more difficult issues don't get a shoe in? Think Deep South, Issan, Karen, all the people living on the railways tracks...

The system is rigged and although the authorities are willing to pay for the legally attributed costs of this tragedy they should not be given a blank slate just because they (depending on your point of view) accepted/skimmed/extorted/skimmed/accepted enough in the past or near future to cover their negative cash flow from this event.

One question with an event like this is whether the voting majority care enough about the issue to make it a serious political item or if it can be hushed by enough cash to the affected parties. I'm very interested in how this event plays out in the public view over the next few months. For example, in NZ heads would be rolling.

If I was one of the affected families,citizens or tourists I would be baying for blood right now.

Just that the small stone thrown in the koi pond doesn't usually hit a big fish.

I understand what your saying and would add too that I will be watching closely as to the outcome; how the government conducts itself, and to see wether "Thai's" still like jamming themselves into Disco Halls for the sake of "sanuk maak" !

I think the voting majority really dont understand fully the impact that what has (consistently) unfolded before their very eyes - could indeed happen to them. Not in the exact same way, but by the same form of neglect and incompetence and the most important variables, "stupidity and ignorance."

Thanks,

Randy

Update, if anyone cares:

All 4 missing have been found amongst the dead.

:o

We all care and i personally pass on my condolences.

With sympathy,

Rick

Yes we do Dissolution - we do care indeed. God Bless you, your brother and your family.

The only way I know how to help is to fight back - and to do it now. Things get shuffled under the rug while people grieve..that's why it's critical for those of us who were lucky enough not to lose loved ones stay on top of this. Flush out the people trying to hide or profit from this tragedy right now - whilte the clock ticks - while the police dither - and before various special interests can twist the thai media with rubbish. The more we shake the tree here and elsewhere the harder it is for the thai media, police, courts, hi-so families and other 'interested' parties to spout and publish nonesense - because it's already been debated and discounted.

There are no gaurantees - but it's better than silence.

It is much better then silence. Basically, for most of us, there but for the grace of God we go (and I don't believe in god).

I guess we are trying to reason out, and ask the questions to find out

why/how/when/what/where/ and so on.

We feel for you, man do we feel for you.

:D:o

Edited by Alliecat

The part that hurts the most is that his body was found along with 2 of the friends at the rear exit...

We believe the girl was hit by debris from the roof, and her bf tried to help, but either passed out, or he and my bro managed to get her to the rear exit before passing out. Unfortunately, when the rescue teams came, they only went in from the front... As for the last friend, apparently he had already managed to get to safety, but didn't see any of us, so went back in... He was found in the vicinity of the entrance, only a few meters from the 3...

*sigh*

Life truly is so fragile. I really wish I had gone in further to search for them... Now all of them are gone in 1 go, and I'm here all alone...

Sincere condolences also from my side!

I know you feel like "if I only had..." but you might have perished as well...just like your friend who went in again. Wish you all the best to overcome these tough times!

As for my personal story....The person that introduced me to Santika a couple of months ago is not among the victims listed here...sort of relief for me as she was a regular and I could not reach her since New Year's.

*sigh*

Dissolution,

Very very sorry to hear of your brother and your friends. But I am glad that you did not go back in. You would have surely died too.

Our thoughts are with you mate.

Screws.

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

He'll probably declare himself bankrupt. :o

I did notice that there was a Western Name on the shareholders list.

I just googled the name "Louis Scott" - not sure if it's him, but it could be!!!!

www.akorns.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/louis-scott-is-a-sweetie-pie/

This is the result of corruption.

Many time we see how easy is pay for have advantage.

99% of the time people pay for dont have safety in their shop,club,disco, bar....ecc ecc EVERYBODY KNOW'

Same for all kind of business in thailand.

The problem is that also when people die nobody care after 1 month and the never ending tea money story dont finish.

I hope that the SIR that know about all this situation and thake money for close their eyes they soffer same as the people that burn in santika.

Also the Owner him not cry or was sad when im pay for have advantage and live him money in the bank for buy a new Mercedes.

Im sorry but when i see this things i want take ALL them in a public place and give to them the same treatment" burn in the fire".

ciao

I understand what your saying and would add too that I will be watching closely as to the outcome; how the government conducts itself, and to see wether "Thai's" still like jamming themselves into Disco Halls for the sake of "sanuk maak" !

I think the voting majority really dont understand fully the impact that what has (consistently) unfolded before their very eyes - could indeed happen to them. Not in the exact same way, but by the same form of neglect and incompetence and the most important variables, "stupidity and ignorance."

Thanks,

Randy

I have no doubt that dodgy night clubs will continue to function simply because the police have offered to pay for "all" legally attributed medical bills due to this event. Due to the speed at which they "decided" to make this concession I have no doubt that it is considered the acceptable modus oprerandi in Thailand. I mean it was only three days before the western media/blogosphere found out about it so they must have been saying it from the start.

It simply is the way it is and there is very little momentum for anything else.

This thread is already down to 50 odd people from 300 the day it was posted which is also low by TV standards. We can't expect this to be taken any further but we should all be looking out for anyone who does take it further.

I reiterate that Dissolution and anyone else who is affected should seek counseling and if possible a lawyer who can get the police/BMA to pay for it. If they can't get it funded there is a small chance that it will be news worthy enough to keep the topic alive in the local press if they will be bothered to run it. At the very least there will be members here who will be sympathetic and will go out of their way to help out.

This is the result of corruption.

Many time we see how easy is pay for have advantage.

99% of the time people pay for dont have safety in their shop,club,disco, bar....ecc ecc EVERYBODY KNOW'

Same for all kind of business in thailand.

The problem is that also when people die nobody care after 1 month and the never ending tea money story dont finish.

I hope that the SIR that know about all this situation and thake money for close their eyes they soffer same as the people that burn in santika.

Also the Owner him not cry or was sad when im pay for have advantage and live him money in the bank for buy a new Mercedes.

Im sorry but when i see this things i want take ALL them in a public place and give to them the same treatment" burn in the fire".

ciao

Thats it !

I agree also...

Thanks,

Randy

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

That Louis Scott guy is a singer. Luk Krung by the looks.

Fire-disaster club owner meets police; prepares to compensate victims

BANGKOK: -- As rescue workers pump out water from the basement of the fire-razed hit Santika Club, continuing to search for missing blaze victims or evidence which might be buried there, the club's major partner presented himself to the police for the first time to give his account on the tragic incident.

Santika Club major partner Wisuth Setsawat and owner Suriya Ritrabue are among those being questioned. Mr. Wisuth Setsawat, accompanied by his attorney, met deputy national police chief Pol. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont at Thong Lor police station on Sunday.

Police Forensic Science officers and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration workers pumped out water which had douses the blaze which destroyed club -- and 62 lives, so far -- on Bangkok's Ekkamai Road at about 12.30 am on New Year's Day.

They also hoped to collect possible bodies of the missing, as yet unretrieved from the rubble and waters beneath the ruins of the club, as well as evidence which could lead to a better understanding of just what happened in the incident, personal valuables or important documents of the dead victims which might still be left underground.

A number of relatives of the dead were present to conduct religious rites, paying respect to the victims, while many others hoped they could find their missing loved ones.

The death toll from the incident has reached 62 and nearly 250 partygoers were injured in the blaze.

By early Sunday, 73 injured persons remained hospitalised, 32 still being treated in the intensive care units (ICUs) of various hospitals. Eighteen of the injured are foreigners, all in intensive care.

In another development, the major partner of the Santika Club, Wisuth Setsawat, accompanied by his attorney, met deputy national police chief Pol. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont at Thong Lor police station.

Mr. Wisuth told journalists he is quite "depressed" and had not escaped anywhere as he was also injured and received treatment at a hospital. He said he had decided to meet police investigators to display his sincerity and ready to take responsibility for the tragic incident.

Initially, Mr. Wisuth said he had compensated relatives of 11 of the dead Bt20,000 each and had collected money totaling Bt2 million from 12 other partners of the club to be distributed to the next-of-kin of the fatalities and those survivors who were injured.

A centre will be set up Monday to accept donations aimed at assisting inferno victims, Mr. Wisuth said, insisting that the incident would leave his partners and him unable to claim insurance money because their coverage had expired four months ago and they did not renew it.

Immediately after interrogating Mr. Wisuth, Gen. Jongrak said the police would file charges against the managing director of White & Brothers Co., operator of the Santika Club, for recklessness which caused others to die and for allowing under 20-year-olds as patrons.

Police initially believed that the fire resulted from special effects used by the club or from fireworks brought inside the club by customers, Gen. Jongrak said.

The authorities will also question Santika Club owner Suriya Ritrabue identified in relation to White & Brothers Co. to investigate and file charges against him.

-- TNA 2009-02-04

Was Santika Club a Church before it was turn into a club? I feel so very sorry for the people that lost there life and those was injuryed my prays goes out to them and there family. But it is kind of strange that 63 people die 6 3 times. If this was a church before, it was wrong to make it into a club.

They caused the fire because of one minority shareholder? If you think I missed your point before, you have no idea of how confused I am by this comment.

No - I'm just saying that 'if they (the guys who do the dirty little little deals here) want' to find a scapegoat that's NOT THAI, this is an entry point for them - they could try to say the business is really owned by a farang. That's it. They probably won't - now that we've 'discounted it' here on TV - but you never know. Surely you've seen much more dodgy stuff in LOS.

By the way - did anyone else notice there are 30+ partners?? <deleted>??

But they pay some....l.o.s. SIR for dont check the safety inside....so at the end...Welcome to land of fire, were we smile when you pay.

Thanks,

Randy

I have no doubt that dodgy night clubs will continue to function simply because the police have offered to pay for "all" legally attributed medical bills due to this event. Due to the speed at which they "decided" to make this concession I have no doubt that it is considered the acceptable modus oprerandi in Thailand. I mean it was only three days before the western media/blogosphere found out about it so they must have been saying it from the start.

It simply is the way it is and there is very little momentum for anything else.

This thread is already down to 50 odd people from 300 the day it was posted which is also low by TV standards. We can't expect this to be taken any further but we should all be looking out for anyone who does take it further.

I reiterate that Dissolution and anyone else who is affected should seek counseling and if possible a lawyer who can get the police/BMA to pay for it. If they can't get it funded there is a small chance that it will be news worthy enough to keep the topic alive in the local press if they will be bothered to run it. At the very least there will be members here who will be sympathetic and will go out of their way to help out.

Was Santika Club a Church before it was turn into a club? I feel so very sorry for the people that lost there life and those was injuryed my prays goes out to them and there family. But it is kind of strange that 63 people die 6 3 times. If this was a church before, it was wrong to make it into a club.

Many ex church are now dicoteque or club in europe but dont burn.....

dont mix religion whit corrupt SIR that they dont care if some people can die, mai pen rai, of course some of that corrupt SIR they are very sad and they connot sleep in the night so they use that money for buy a new car or new house...shopping make them fell better.

Dont you?

ciao

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

I just googled the name "Louis Scott" - not sure if it's him, but it could be!!!!

The guy has a Myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=276783488

Edited by steffi

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

half thai half farang but too young i think im only put some money...the shark are the the big shareholder of the company.

They caused the fire because of one minority shareholder? If you think I missed your point before, you have no idea of how confused I am by this comment.

No - I'm just saying that 'if they (the guys who do the dirty little little deals here) want' to find a scapegoat that's NOT THAI, this is an entry point for them - they could try to say the business is really owned by a farang. That's it. They probably won't - now that we've 'discounted it' here on TV - but you never know. Surely you've seen much more dodgy stuff in LOS.

I believe the owner has been connected with HOBB bar at RCA as well so you figure there's a lot of interests to protect.

I'd like to know what their families main line of business is as this was allegedly something they do on the side.

Re the top down fire theory - very unlikely. Fire burns up very quickly, down slowly.

Gal iron would suck the heat out of any firework until it stopped, if it was an asbestos cement (or modern equivalent) it would have been impervious to a fire from above. Aluminium will burn, but only in a very hot fire - not from fireworks landing on the roof. Al would also suck the heat out of any fireworks.

The only roof material likely to be burnt through from a firework above would be polycarbonate - as in a skylight. Did Santika have skylights? Doubt it, but someone will know. Looking at google earth - overexposed, but does not appear to have skylights. (Google earth - search santika)

Also, does not appear to have many overlooking neighbours.

I think I could state quite safely that no normal roofing material (Ex thatch, grass etc - I mean in general use in Bangkok) - could be penetrated by regular fireworks.

A high rate of spread inside would tend to indicate that the roof was not breached - as if it had it would permit a draught, taking the flames and smoke out - reducing the rate of spread inside.

This does not exclude the possibility of arson.

Perhaps we need a uni to test the different theories. Maybe here, perhaps better overseas.

Eyewitness evidence first - should reduce the number of theories.

I believe the owner has been connected with HOBB bar at RCA as well so you figure there's a lot of interests to protect.

I'd like to know what their families main line of business is as this was allegedly something they do on the side.

Why do you care what their families do for a living?? Of course they have other jobs, yes several investors in santika are as well investors in hobb and several other clubs in the city, condolences to the famlies that lost loved ones in this tragic accident.

Santika was a club built with an ancient cloister theme.

There is nothing strange about the number of people died, could have well been more or less but if you think that this is a fact to investigate further you may provide this information to Thonglor police station.

Dissolution I'm so sorry for your loss. We witness tragedies everyday and become desensitized to it all, we have to; to survive but this one has hit close to home and it's impossible to ignore. I feel mournful for you and all the others. I can't understand why things like this have to happen.

This has put the nail in the coffin for me and Thailand and when I can leave in about 6 months I will not come back for a long time. I know now for sure I'm not overreacting. I've slowly come to realize behind the few spurts of progress this country is basically a zoo with no accountability. I love many things about Thailand but that doesn't offset the dangerous and real things that are wrong with it. There's just too much risk living in a 3rd world country.

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

I'm guessing it is this guy

http://members.tripod.com/~JB_S/about.htm

and From Bangkok Patana School Summary

Notable alumni

Anan Anwar - Scottish-Indonesian singer and actor

Joni Anwar - Scottish-Indonesian singer and actor

Ananda Everingham - Lao-Australian actor

Rowena Kennett - Thai-English VJ for MTV Thailand

Louis Scott - Singer and actor