Mr T's Wife Gets Her Purse Nicked

WISteve

Might of known it would have been blamed on a farang. :o

Hey Dave a farang is exclusively a white European. Ya live and learn :D

hey doc What planet are you on?? you mean to say that americans or canadian are not considered as farangs??? even negro's are called farang.

as you said you live and you learn :D

I ( unlike you ) am here on THIS planet. Americans and Canadians of the white variety are considered as Europeans. African's are NOT farangs. Wake up sunshine .... ask about.

White foreigners are Farangs. Black foreigners are Negroes. :D

My ex just used to call them black people. She thought they were all dirty. Then one night a black American was really nice and polite to her in the restaurant. She was so shocked. She wasnt to worldy wise

Edited by Jockstar

hey doc What planet are you on?? you mean to say that americans or canadian are not considered as farangs??? even negro's are called farang.

as you said you live and you learn :D

I ( unlike you ) am here on THIS planet. Americans and Canadians of the white variety are considered as Europeans. African's are NOT farangs. Wake up sunshine .... ask about.

White foreigners are Farangs. Black foreigners are Negroes. :D

I thought it was "farang dum"

Khon Dum

"you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life? "

I'm sure showing up with a white shirt for most of his english classes gives him far more credibility Dave? :D

Having a business, being in a long term relationship and meeting payroll with a few dozen thai nationals doesn't mean a thing apparently? :D  No "thai realities" in making a long-term investment and paying taxes I would guess? :o  :D

I'm certain he's never made (or admitted to anyway...) an honest mistake.

-------------------------------

My whole point in starting the string was to call attention to the unequal justice afforded the rich and the poor.  I thought the citywide search for the handbag of the rich and powerful vividly illustrated this bit of "thai reality".

Now go back to bed after that "pertinent comment", boris.  You have a class to teach in the morning and you should try to make it to this one.

~WISteve

There's a difference between making mistakes (I do it all the time) and making comments suggesting a complete lack of comprehension of living in this country, despite being a professed Thai old hand.Not sure why I am thought to be an English teacher.I expect "pertiment comment" is too complicated an expression for some.There are pedants (OK I admit it) in all professions.

White foreigners are Farangs. Black foreigners are Negroes. :o

LOL !!!

Reminds me of when I found out about Thai people freely using the word Negro...

It was when I first took the wife to the UK - shopping in Birmingham City centre.

Thankfully I managed to talk my way out of the trouble - there were 3 of them, built like brick toilets - a good job they were girls...

Pedro

Sure live and learn but you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life?

And on that rather ungracious but I think completely pertinent comment, happy new year to all.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But HOW TRUE!!! :D

I was a bit surprised!

Sure live and learn but you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life?

And on that rather ungracious but I think completely pertinent comment, happy new year to all.

Not trying to be offensive at all. But HOW TRUE!!! :D

I was a bit surprised!

As pointed out before a made a mistake, plain and simple!

We're not all as special as Doris you know. :D

presumably resident for several years

3 years is'nt the same as several years now, is it? :D

what do you call an asian foreigners?

If you mean in the derogative sense then it's "slant", though I think the Septics say "slope" (not sure about this).

I heard an Aussie call his Vietnamese wife a "power point". :o

so whats a "power point" mean :D

You ever seen an Aussie electrical outlet?

plugcrop5rf.jpg

But his wife was much better looking. And I'm sure the eyes went the other way.

Still don't know what's the funniest part ?

Mr T's wife being robbed, the way newspapers tell the story, the oversized reaction of the police, or arguments about what is a farang ? :D

As farang comes from français (but i'm sure everybody knows that already :o ) it is supposed to be used for everybody who looks like a XVI or XVII century french, so white skin.

But my gf, as well as many Thais, use farang for every foreigners, caucasians, asians, or chocolate dicks.

(I'm too shy to tell you how they call Yetis :D )

Mr T's wife being robbed, the way newspapers tell the story, the oversized reaction of the police, or arguments about what is a farang ?  :D

As farang comes from français (but i'm sure everybody knows that already  :o ) it is supposed to be used for everybody who looks like a XVI or XVII century french, so white skin.

But my gf, as well as many Thais, use farang for every foreigners, caucasians, asians, or chocolate dicks.

(I'm too shy to tell you how they call Yetis  :D )

It might pay you to ask your gf and other Thai's just what they really call the others.

Would seem that if you aint Thai then we are all simply "Tang Dao"with sub cultures.(K.W)

A red,black,brown or blonde haired punter is a good old barang-farang-felang but only if white skined.

A Japanese laddie is ...sounds familar....an "Ipon" while..

Chinese chappies are known as a "Jex" and Indian-pakistani gentlemen come in under the heading of "Khags" which sounds a bit like like "Cats"

Cambodians are of course in Thai "Kah-men"(Khmers) with all Black people = "Nee-gos"

Aaa-lab fairly obvious but the combination of Philli-Malays-Singas back again as "Tang Daos" but can be plus/minus " Es-lam"or Jex.

Eskimos dont seem to come into it much :o

Would seem that if you aint Thai then we are all simply "Tang Dao"with sub cultures.(K.W)

A red,black,brown or blonde haired punter is a good old barang-farang-felang but only if white skined.

A Japanese laddie is ...sounds familar....an "Ipon" while..

Chinese chappies are known as a "Jex" and Indian-pakistani gentlemen come in under the heading of "Khags" which sounds a bit like like "Cats"

Cambodians are of course in Thai  "Kah-men"(Khmers) with all Black people = "Nee-gos"

Aaa-lab fairly obvious but  the combination of Philli-Malays-Singas back again as "Tang Daos" but can be plus/minus " Es-lam"or Jex.

Eskimos dont seem to come into it much :D

Only two Eskimo tourists in 2004, and Eskimo's have a fair bit of Asian in 'em ( so to speak ) :o

As farang comes from français (but i'm sure everybody knows that already  :D ) it is supposed to be used for everybody who looks like a XVI or XVII century french, so white skin.

It might pay you to ask your gf and other Thai's just what they really call the others.

Whereas finding out the true origin of 'farang' would probably only be of academic interest. Hint: Read Anna Comnena or watch 'Zorba the Greek'.

Only two Eskimo tourists in 2004, and Eskimo's have a fair bit of Asian in 'em ( so to speak )  :o

Is it relevant that Eskimos are Danish, Canadian, American or Russian? :D (PC point: I don't think the speakers of Yupik can be called Inuit.)

Edited by Richard W