Mr T's Wife Gets Her Purse Nicked

WISteve

The Bangkok Post Today:

Hunt for bag snatcher

Police have launched a city-wide hunt for a woman who stole a handbag belonging to Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, the prime minister's wife, in a coffee shop at the upscale Emporium department store on Saturday.

Police said the suspect, a Filipina, was seated at the next table and took Khunying Potjaman's handbag while the prime minister's wife was in the toilet.

Khunying Potjaman was meeting friends at the shop. The bag contained credit cards, personal cheques and jewellery.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said his wife was not in the habit of carrying a large amount of cash.

Witnesses said the woman carried a brown, oversized Louis Vuitton carry-on bag into which she put the stolen bag.

Police said the thief was aged 20-25, of medium build and about 165cm tall. She spoke Asian-accented English and wore a body-hugging short-sleeved T-shirt and jeans.

Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Kosin Hinthao was asked to handle the investigation after the Metropolitan Police Bureau met for an hour yesterday to discuss the case.

Pol Lt-Gen Pansiri Prapawat, the metropolitan police commissioner, said the thief was probably part of an experienced foreign gang. A sketch of the suspect was distributed to the immigration police bureau, the tourist police division, and the crime suppression division.

Police were also checking video footage of the suspect captured by closed-circuit cameras at the shopping centre and the adjacent skytrain station. The department store has nine exits.

Pol Col Pisit Proayrungroj, an inspector, said a city-wide hunt for the suspect had extended from the Emporium to Sogo department store to the Central World Plaza. But there was still no sign of her.

Police were checking to see if the suspect had discarded Khunying Potjaman's bag.

Pol Lt-Gen Pansiri said the Christmas and New Year shopping had attracted thieves and his bureau had put extra police at shopping malls and tourist spots.

Mr Thaksin said he was told by police the suspect had paid her bill but did not leave the table right away. She waited until Khunying Potjaman left her bag unattended before striking.

City-wide sweep?

Keep your head low, street people!

WISteve

Edited by WISteve

But it is an Asian woman - are foreign Asians also considered farang?

About 20 years ago, a Thai woman told me that Thais regarded Filipinos as dogs. I don't know the reason for this contempt.

I did hear of a Thai delegation having to apologise for calling a Malaysian delegation 'monkeys'. The Thais hadn't expected the Malaysians to understand Thai!

But it is an Asian woman - are foreign Asians also considered farang?

About 20 years ago, a Thai woman told me that Thais regarded Filipinos as dogs. I don't know the reason for this contempt.

I did hear of a Thai delegation having to apologise for calling a Malaysian delegation 'monkeys'. The Thais hadn't expected the Malaysians to understand Thai!

I am sure that valuable Police resources will be tied up looking for the suspect :o

Might of known it would have been blamed on a farang. :o

Hey Dave a farang is exclusively a white European. Ya live and learn :D

Sure live and learn but you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life?

And on that rather ungracious but I think completely pertinent comment, happy new year to all.

Might of known it would have been blamed on a farang. :D

Sure live and learn but you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life?

And on that rather ungracious but I think completely pertinent comment, happy new year to all.

Have you never written something in haste not realising what you've actually written? :o

But i suppose someone as perfect as you would'nt do that type of thing. :D

Knobend :D

"you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life? "

I'm sure showing up with a white shirt for most of his english classes gives him far more credibility Dave? :D

Having a business, being in a long term relationship and meeting payroll with a few dozen thai nationals doesn't mean a thing apparently? :D No "thai realities" in making a long-term investment and paying taxes I would guess? :o:D

I'm certain he's never made (or admitted to anyway...) an honest mistake.

-------------------------------

My whole point in starting the string was to call attention to the unequal justice afforded the rich and the poor. I thought the citywide search for the handbag of the rich and powerful vividly illustrated this bit of "thai reality".

Now go back to bed after that "pertinent comment", boris. You have a class to teach in the morning and you should try to make it to this one.

~WISteve

"you have got to wonder how in touch with Thai realities is a guy, presumably resident for several years, who doesn't know the meaning of the word farang.And for this guy and the other similar types, how much value can be ascribed to their other observations on Thai life? "

I'm sure showing up with a white shirt for most of his english classes gives him far more credibility Dave? :D

Having a business, being in a long term relationship and meeting payroll with a few dozen thai nationals doesn't mean a thing apparently? :D  No "thai realities" in making a long-term investment and paying taxes I would guess? :o  :D

I'm certain he's never made (or admitted to anyway...) an honest mistake.

-------------------------------

My whole point in starting the string was to call attention to the unequal justice afforded the rich and the poor.  I thought the citywide search for the handbag of the rich and powerful vividly illustrated this bit of "thai reality".

Now go back to bed after that "pertinent comment", boris.  You have a class to teach in the morning and you should try to make it to this one.

~WISteve

:D Happy New Year

Boris, you remind me of those dour pommie tabloid writers.

With an attitude like yours it is puzzling why you choose to live in LOS at all. :o

Police said the suspect, a Filipina, was seated at the next table and took Khunying Potjaman's handbag while the prime minister's wife was in the toilet.

Khunying Potjaman was meeting friends at the shop. The bag contained credit cards, personal cheques and jewellery.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said his wife was not in the habit of carrying a large amount of cash.

Witnesses said the woman carried a brown, oversized Louis Vuitton carry-on bag into which she put the stolen bag.

Police said the thief was aged 20-25, of medium build and about 165cm tall. She spoke Asian-accented English and wore a body-hugging short-sleeved T-shirt and jeans.

Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Kosin Hinthao was asked to handle the investigation after the Metropolitan Police Bureau met for an hour yesterday to discuss the case.

Pol Lt-Gen Pansiri Prapawat, the metropolitan police commissioner, said the thief was probably part of an experienced foreign gang. A sketch of the suspect was distributed to the immigration police bureau, the tourist police division, and the crime suppression division.

Police were also checking video footage of the suspect captured by closed-circuit cameras at the shopping centre and the adjacent skytrain station. The department store has nine exits.

Pol Col Pisit Proayrungroj, an inspector, said a city-wide hunt for the suspect had extended from the Emporium to Sogo department store to the Central World Plaza. But there was still no sign of her.

Police were checking to see if the suspect had discarded Khunying Potjaman's bag.

Pol Lt-Gen Pansiri said the Christmas and New Year shopping had attracted thieves and his bureau had put extra police at shopping malls and tourist spots.

Mr Thaksin said he was told by police the suspect had paid her bill but did not leave the table right away. She waited until Khunying Potjaman left her bag unattended before striking.

City-wide sweep?

Keep your head low, street people!

WISteve

obviuosly this story is full with flaws...how did they know it was a philipina :o

why the heck did she leave her bag at the table, whatr about her so called friends :D

they had camera's everywhere, so which route this she take :D

my thai gf was drugged and robbed once, lost her 4 baht gold, mobile and some cash, verdict by the cops....bad luck this happens all the time :D

this all sucks :D

hey doc What planet are you on?? you mean to say that americans or canadian are not considered as farangs??? even negro's are called farang.

as you said you live and you learn :D

Thats what i thought too :o

hey doc What planet are you on?? you mean to say that americans or canadian are not considered as farangs??? even negro's are called farang.

I ( unlike you ) am here on THIS planet. Americans and Canadians of the white variety are considered as Europeans. African's are NOT farangs. Wake up sunshine .... ask about.

I ( unlike you ) am here on THIS planet. Americans and Canadians of the white variety are considered as Europeans. African's are NOT farangs. Wake up sunshine .... ask about.

White foreigners are Farangs. Black foreigners are Negroes. :D

The monkey doesn't know a lot

I thought our darker skinned brothers were called ....Choclet man... :D

No offence intended

I thought it was "farang dum"