Tourists Flock To National Parks

george

Tourists flock to national parks

Thousands of tourists chose 10 of the national parks across country as their destination to celebrate the New Year holidays, the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department said yesterday.

The 10 national parks were Doi Inthanon, Huai Nam Dang, Doi Pha Hom Pok, Doi Suthep Pui, Khao Yai, Kang Krajan, Erawan island, Surin island, and Similan island.

Doi Inthanont, the highest mountain in the country located in the northern province of Chiang Mai, was the favourite destination for nearly 70,000 tourists over the past five days.

The northeastern Khao Yai was the second most popular place for tourists with 60,319 visitors, followed by Huai Nam Dang with 49,553, Doi SuthepPui 32,985, and Doi Pha Hom Pok with 12,061 tourists.

Uthai Vayupath, the department's chief, said national parks with waterfalls were popular, such as Jedsaonoi Waterfall, which attracted more than 10,000 tourists.

He conceded that during the New Year holidays the agency had failed to limit the number of tourists entering the national parks.

He said the agency will improve its measures to limit tourists entering the national parks during the next holiday season to prevent them from destroying sensitive sites.

Uthai urged the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sport, and the Education Ministry, to encourage people to count down to the next New Year at temples instead going to pubs and bars.

-- The Nation 2009-01-06

Cheapest holiday you can have. The hotel owners on Phuket that sponsor this site would like to thank you for that George. I'm going to go to Khao Yai next week :o A few Chang beers, some five baht Moo Yang, sticky rice, and we're set..Thanks mate.

The som-tam lady assures me, that there are plans afoot at the Ministry, to boost overall visitor-numbers and revenues, by making Swampy a new National Park ! :o Have your 400B ready, or your Thai driving-license in hand, as you alight from the taxi !! :D

Thousands of tourists chose 10 of the national parks across country as their destination to celebrate the New Year holidays, the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department said yesterday.

He said the agency will improve its measures to limit tourists entering the national parks during the next holiday season to prevent them from destroying sensitive sites.

Uthai urged the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sport, and the Education Ministry, to encourage people to count down to the next New Year at temples instead going to pubs and bars.

-- The Nation 2009-01-06

And so it goes - LOS cant even manage a park !

Imagine this place trying to go "Green" = this place is quite a catastrophe on its own in every facet !

Thanks,

Randy

I vaguely remember a posting on TV.C talking about a limitation of visitors in National Parks, roughly a few hundred per day at Doi Inthanon.

By the way, I have been there several times, showing Thai people their own country, but I will not do so any more @ 200-400 Baht (whatever it may be right now) per visit.

-- The Nation 2009-01-06

And so it goes - LOS cant even manage a park !

Imagine this place trying to go "Green" = this place is quite a catastrophe on its own in every facet !

Thanks,

Randy

Nag,nag,Nag,nag

if you are worried about paying 400 baht you have lived in thailand too long , if thats the case you should at least have a thai licence in which case you pay the same as thais.

That dosnt necesarly work, nor does a work permit....I enter for 20 baht but others I have taken do not. :o

Tourist definition needed here.

I think that most of these tourists are Thai nationals in the upp country national parks, and the national parks on the southern island are visiting foreign tourists.

Could it be so?

MC

Kao Yai is only about two hour drive from BKK. Several farang friends have been there and say it's great. I've never been - but I want to go before the weather gets too hot. Any advice from anyone who's been there about nice places to stay? Don't want to camp/tent.

I think that most of these tourists are Thai nationals in the upp country national parks, and the national parks on the southern island are visiting foreign tourists.

Could it be so?

MC

Kao Yai is only about two hour drive from BKK. Several farang friends have been there and say it's great. I've never been - but I want to go before the weather gets too hot. Any advice from anyone who's been there about nice places to stay? Don't want to camp/tent.

Never been myself but we are planing to go, were about the same distance away as Bangkok here in Issarn they have bungalows for rent within the park info here.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve

if you are worried about paying 400 baht you have lived in thailand too long , if thats the case you should at least have a thai licence in which case you pay the same as thais.

It's hit or miss, sometimes you will pay the proper price, other times they will make you pay the rip-off price.

Edited by mrtoad

Could it be so?

MC

Khao Yai is stunning and well worth the two hour drive from the city (took us four hours getting back on Sunday though, unsurprisingly). We fell in love with the area a few years ago and now have a weekend cottage up there. It is getting busier by the month with new resorts and restaurants springing up all the time.

Kirimaya is probably the most upmarket resort in the area – very nice with prices to match (compared to most of the places at least). There's a Jack Niklaus golf course at the resort too.

Chokchai Farm also has a boutique resort with air-conditioned luxury(ish) tents. It's a good place to go if you have kids – they do tours of the farm (whether you stay there or not), with all the usual “farmy” activities on offer; cow milking, horse riding etc.

If you fancy staying in a French Chateau, there is even the newly opened “Chateau de Khao Yai” (I kid you not). We went to look around, but it was a bit chinzy for my tastes.

Aside from them, there are dozens of other resorts, mostly of the bungalow type, which are pretty cheap.

It's worth visiting one of the vineyards up there too. Granmonte and PB Valley are probably the best of them – Vincotto, the restaurant at Granmonte is usually very good, and some of the wines aren't half bad either (but not good value thanks to the taxman).

Other places to eat. Again Kirimaya has a very good restaurant – usual Thai/Western fusion. There are branches of Bangkok eateries Cabbages & Condoms and FAB Cafe. Haven't tried the former, but FAB is OK, although the chef's abilities don't always meet up with the ambition of the extensive menu. Literally hundreds of other little places and stalls, especially at weekends, so plenty to choose from.

Oh, at this time of the year it gets chilly at night. Goes down to around 15C outside the park, and if you're staying high up the mountain within the park itself will get down to (and maybe below) 10C. Daytimes are still warm though.