Bangkok Mugging Attempts

Haddo

I wanted to make fellow members aware of a couple of "mugging" attempts I've been on the receiving end of in the past couple of months.

On both ocassions they didn't get anything off me.

Nov 08 - on bridge over klong north of Central World (World Trade Centre), en route to Pantip.

A "beggar" on the pavement (with hands inside shirt) and holding a cup in his mouth causes obstruction on pavement.

Some cards/papers are thrown on the ground near you - creates a distraction - you're not sure if you've bumped into the "beggar"

another guy comes up an grabs your trouser pockets trying to force whatever is in them out.

(I dropped down on haunches, grabbed guys arms, and pushed him away)

Tourist police didn't want to know - said to go and report it at a police station.

1240, 6 jan 09 - on escalator on north side of Sukhumvit going up to Phrom Phong skytrain station/Emporium

man and woman stand on step right in front of you, man stands on step below - crowding you. I was v suspicious at this point.

Man in front pretends to fall backwards towards you (hoping you'll help him, then guy behind can reach into your pockets etc)

I pushed him away with one hand, but kept my hand in pocket with wallet in, keeping an eye on the guy behind.

What gave it away was they then all continued straight back down to ground level via the steps straight ahead

I challenged one of guys in Thai as he walked off - but then a couple of Philipino sounding ladies came up asking what had happened (in English) saying "be careful"

With hindsight, they may have been part of the same gang

My wife phoned Emporium afterwards (she wasn't with me at the time) and they were well aware of these gangs.

Station master at Phrom Phong later that evening also knew of it - but refused to put up warning signs in case it scared people away!

Other known locations for this practice - Nana and Silom

They even wait and follow people out of banks.

Known to target farangs and Japanese etc.

please pass on

thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use your common sense like you would back home and all will be perfectly fine.

Most foreigners who get robbed or something, got done over cause they didn't use their brain.... ie..walking along Pattaya Beach at 2 in the morning or drunk along Silom while showing off their big wad of cash to the local damsels.

You got much more of a chance getting done over in any Western capital than in Bangkok.

Only had a weak attempt by a ladybody to get close to me and put her arm around me near Asok. Sorry, ladybody, not attracted to you as you're six inches taller than me and I know you're part of the ladybody thieving gang there. Wasn't really a worry as I knew was was happening.

Only had a weak attempt by a ladybody to get close to me and put her arm around me near Asok. Sorry, ladybody, not attracted to you as you're six inches taller than me and I know you're part of the ladybody thieving gang there. Wasn't really a worry as I knew was was happening.

Ladyboy theiving gang? I didn't know there was such a thing here.

I'd like to know a bit more if you don't mind.

O

She probably had a bigger dick than you too. It wouldn't surprise me if what the OP says is true. It can only get worse. I'm not sure, but Sukhumvit seems busy. If Bangkok isn't busy, no tourists or businessmen, the people have no money, the crackheads have no money, the crackhead ladyboys have no money, it could get like that. At least in those places where there are people who look like they have money. I can't speak for what it's like outside the city.

I wanted to make fellow members aware of a couple of "mugging" attempts I've been on the receiving end of in the past couple of months.

Nov 08 - on bridge over klong north of Central World (World Trade Centre), en route to Pantip.

A "beggar" on the pavement (with hands inside shirt) and holding a cup in his mouth causes obstruction on pavement.

Some cards/papers are thrown on the ground near you - creates a distraction - you're not sure if you've bumped into the "beggar"

another guy comes up an grabs your trouser pockets trying to force whatever is in them out.

Tourist police didn't want to know - said to go and report it at a police station.

1240, 6 jan 09 - on escalator on north side of Sukhumvit going up to Phrom Phong skytrain station/Emporium

man and woman stand on step right in front of you, man stands on step below - crowding you. I was v suspicious at this point.

Man in front pretends to fall backwards towards you (hoping you'll help him, then guy behind can reach into your pockets etc)

I pushed him away with one hand, but kept my hand in pocket with wallet in, keeping an eye on the guy behind.

What gave it away was they then all continued straight back down to ground level via the steps straight ahead

I challenged one of guys in Thai as he walked off - but then a couple of Philipino sounding ladies came up asking what had happened (in English) saying "be careful"

My wife phoned Emporium afterwards (she wasn't with me at the time) and they were well aware of these gangs.

Station master at Phrom Phong later that evening also knew of it - but refused to put up warning signs in case it scared people away!

please pass on

thanks

what is your age, size and how do you dress? Just curious to know why you were targeted twice

These pickpocket gangs have been highlighted before on TV. Thanks for the latest update.

The second location has not been mentioned before but as with all previous locations, it fits the pattern of a place with a lot of foreigners likely to be carrying a lot of money (expats in well-paying BKK jobs and tourists). Haven't heard this scam tried in Nong Jork but there's always a first.

It's interesting that you mention Filipinos as they crop up with regularity when talking about pickpocket gangs and other-related scams (cards, lost my wallet, etc.) in the downtown areas of Bangkok.

thanks

what is your age, size and how do you dress? Just curious to know why you were targeted twice

I'm 40, 5ft 10in (1.78m), 100kg - pretty stocky!

I tend to wear cargo type trousers or shorts - maybe the pockets are what attract robbers?

I am very observant though - its part of my job.

O

There are group of pickpockets that hang out around Asok and Soi Cowboy. They are ladyboys. That's about it. I've heard about it before so I knew what was coming, and it seemed pretty obvious to me.

O

:D

Why? Do you want their phone numbers? Or do you fancy having your pockets ruffled by a couple of blokes in drag? :o

Edited by mrtoad

O

:D

Why? Do you want their phone numbers? Or do you fancy having your pockets ruffled by a couple of blokes in drag? :D

:o

These pickpocket gangs have been highlighted before on TV. Thanks for the latest update.

The second location has not been mentioned before but as with all previous locations, it fits the pattern of a place with a lot of foreigners likely to be carrying a lot of money (expats in well-paying BKK jobs and tourists). Haven't heard this scam tried in Nong Jork but there's always a first.

It's interesting that you mention Filipinos as they crop up with regularity when talking about pickpocket gangs and other-related scams (cards, lost my wallet, etc.) in the downtown areas of Bangkok.

I bet you have a city map with pins pointing out the hotspots..Inspector Clouseau!

Beware and alert to your surrounding no matter where you are Folks, we are in hard times, people are down and out and the really bad one will look for the easier Target. Wife's nephew saw a snatch and run in their small village(less 800 people) motorbike no plate, lucky the lady wasn't hurt just super Piss as anyone would be(Anywhere/Anytime)

please pass on

thanks

They tried to get me on the BTS Skywalk near Central World.

I wrote the BTS management several emails requesting to see the security videos. No reply.

I always try to be wary of people getting to close to me, especially on the street where there's plenty of room. On escaltors, I usually try to do the same.

Keep your eyes open. Lots of undesirables around.

I tend to wear cargo type trousers or shorts - maybe the pockets are what attract robbers?

Is that your fat ass in your Avartar Haddo? Some kinda CIA spy are ya? SAS perhaps?

....and don't tell me, if you told us your job you'd have to kill us right?

...probably a rent-a-cop come wanabe CIA agent :o

Troll

please pass on

thanks

Do you know where you are living?

You are living in South East Asia my friend...you are living in a third world country. Not only that but one of the poorest and corrupt areas in the world. Shit happen's here. If something like this upsets you I think you should go home back to Mum in England!

Actually closer to the truth, this is what happened:

1) You lost your footing walking up the steps from the BTS

2) Some concerned locals behind you tried to stop you from falling.

3) You, disorientated by your mass weight being overtaken by gravity went into panic mode.

4) You, feeling strange hands on your ass (can't blame them as this represents 80% of your total body surface area) trying to help you went into panic mode.

5) Other poor tourists that tried to help (the filipeno woman you mentioned) automatically became part of your conspiracy theory.

6) You was the laughing stock of everyone that you involved...The Train Manager, Your wife, Emporium Staff, locals that tried to help you and now everyone on TV.

Grow up and grow some balls mate, learn to look after yourself, you can't be a mumy's boy out here. :o

Is that your fat ass in your Avartar Haddo? Some kinda CIA spy are ya? SAS perhaps?

Troll

I'm not sure your post warrants a reply - but yes, that is "my fat ass" in my avatar.

(why do these discussions always degenerate so quickly, when all you want is a civil discussion/exchange of information?)

And unfortunately my job isn't quite as glamarous as those you list - I'm a TV news cameraman/journalist.

She probably had a bigger dick than you too. It wouldn't surprise me if what the OP says is true. It can only get worse. I'm not sure, but Sukhumvit seems busy. If Bangkok isn't busy, no tourists or businessmen, the people have no money, the crackheads have no money, the crackhead ladyboys have no money, it could get like that. At least in those places where there are people who look like they have money. I can't speak for what it's like outside the city.

"She probably had a bigger dick than you too" Didn't you mean "He probably had a bigger dick than you too" Woman don't have dicks.

"the crackhead ladyboys"

This is the first time I have encountered this phrase. I rather like it. I think I will use it as a term of abuse at work. Perhaps as a simile. e.g. You're as good company as a crackhead ladyboy."

This thread has turned out really well from a dubious start.

I bought a security wallet with incidents like this in mind.. It has a loop on it which your belt passes through, and then tucks inside your trousers. Feels like a normal wallet, but would take brute force to steal.

"the crackhead ladyboys"

This is the first time I have encountered this phrase. I rather like it. I think I will use it as a term of abuse at work. Perhaps as a simile. e.g. You're as good company as a crackhead ladyboy."

This thread has turned out really well from a dubious start.

I actually don't like the phrase. I think the first crackhead was enough. I have some others you could use that flow a lot better. Your simile isn't that good either. Makes it sound like you've been in their company. You've got the brains of a crackhead ladyboy would be better.

"She probably had a bigger dick than you too" Didn't you mean "He probably had a bigger dick than you too" Woman don't have dicks.

That's what he says when he's enjoying it, much better to believe that it's as she, rather than a him. :o

I bought a security wallet with incidents like this in mind.. It has a loop on it which your belt passes through, and then tucks inside your trousers. Feels like a normal wallet, but would take brute force to steal.

Sounds fun.

... another guy comes up an grabs your trouser pockets trying to force whatever is in them out.

All my pockets are zippered, velcro-ed or buttoned, it's all I can do to try to get anything out of them myself in any reasonable amount of time so good luck to pick-pockets,

Amazing how many people carry wallets, passports, in loose, easily accessible open shirt or pant pockets. :o

Sounds fun.

Fun, that is until the belt snaps and not only do you lose your wallet and belt, but your trousers drop to the floor also!

:o

Troll

Have a bit of an issue with fat people? Hmmmmm???

That's what he says when he's enjoying it, much better to believe that it's as she, rather than a him. :o

Thanks for the advice.