Can Ban Tai Get Internet Yet?

was talking to a guy who has several houses for rent in ban tai village and he claims they all have ADSL in them... last i heard (a year ago) ban tai/ban khai were not close enough to the tower to get internet!? has something changed? are there more rentals with internet in ban tai now?

Ban Kai has a new TT& T DSLAM box, allowing a stronger signal, nothing to do with connections but rather the distance from the box.

CAT offers dedicated DSL lines in Ban Tai and Ban Kai as well, so if he's got either one of those then, yes, DSL is available in Ban Tai (and has been for several years now) as well as, finally, Ban Kai.

Check adn see if my old house is for rent girlx and whether you can get internet there. It was a lovely lovely spot. I think you know where it is? Down the turning by Blue Top coffee shop (the two concrete bungalows). The landlady there is really lovely, and a great place to live if you a girl. Really safe.

And then right next door are the wooden houses that are usually all filled up with the French Psy trance possee, but they are cheap and good. They are owned by someone else though and you have to access them from the other side.

Guy at Blue Top has internet access so, its possible but she might not have paid the money to have it put in, mssabai

And yes, girlx finally! It is wonderful after years of a slower than a turtle connection :o

• 3 weeks later...

...SBK do you have any idea if the area by wat po is able to get internet yet?

the wooden houses that are usually all filled up with the French Psy trance possee

reading back this made me laugh, mssabai... i think i met a few of those guys this week, and one of them stalks me amiably on facebook. :o some of them have a bakery in thongsala now i think(?).

Edited by girlx

the wooden houses that are usually all filled up with the French Psy trance possee

reading back this made me laugh, mssabai... i think i met a few of those guys this week, and one of them stalks me amiably on facebook. :o some of them have a bakery in thongsala now i think(?).

There is a new little bakery just before town, I've been meaning to stop in, is it any good?

There is a new little bakery just before town, I've been meaning to stop in, is it any good?

Just before the 7 eleven (Limpipong area), on the same side, french bakery, good pastries, bread and (for me) a good Quiche Lorraine

I've just had a look, and well, to be honest, "complete report" seems to be a bit of an exaggeration.

The DSLAM box in Ban Tai is, in fact, in place and has extended the DSL signal to Ban Kai. I imagine that the signal reaches the Wat Po area but don't know for sure. My husband's cousin lives up there and I think his daughter wants to get DSL. I can ask her how it went next time I see her. Its a great signal, I am very very pleased with my TT&T maxnet account. It hardly ever drops off or disconnects and is quite fast. The main drawback to TT&T could be the lack of phone numbers available for the area you are looking in.

CAT telecom could run to the Wat Po area, as their box is also in Ban Tai village. But it is a dedicated line and expensive to install and costs more than double my maxnet account. But, many of the internet cafes use it and are generally quite happy with their speeds. The CAT dedicated line has been covered in the Samui forum before.

TOT is the other ADSL service provider on the island and while they are limited to Hadrin and Thong Sala (Ban Tai to a certain point but most certainly not the Wat Po area), they will connect immediately and their prices aren't bad. Don't know if TOT is still blocking youtube but that would be a consideration for some if it is still the case.

IP star is expensive and tbh, very few people in the main parts of the island use it. I have not heard good reports.

The other option is the CAT CDMA modem (or use your phone -if it has the capability- as a modem) and there are quite a few reports about that here as well.

My husband's cousin lives up there and I think his daughter wants to get DSL. I can ask her how it went next time I see her.

I am going to drive by the house I want today and I'll call the number on the sign and see if they know... but if not, I would love it if you post when you hear from your cousin as to whether or not she can get a connection! Thanks! Not sure yet if moving back is feasible yet but might as well check it out while I am here...

you know that area gets very noisy every half moon and jungle experience party?

Yeah but you are talking to someone whose next door neighbor opened a very loud karaoke bar the day after I moved in (in Thong Nai Pan). And behind my house was a nightclub that was also extremely loud and open til 6am or so 2-3 days a week! I am used to noise! I'll just buy earplugs. :o