Looking For People To Write Short Bar/club/restaurant Reviews

vanalli

I need to find people who can write short reviews of restaurants, bars, pubs, discos and nightclubs in Phuket. It’s a simple task. The reviews are blog posts and would only need to be about 250-350 words. I have a large number of the island’s venues covered already, but I need more, especially places that have recently opened. If you know a place, you could write the review in a matter of minutes. My budget is limited, but all work will be paid. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

I need to find people who can write short reviews of restaurants, bars, pubs, discos and nightclubs in Phuket. It’s a simple task. The reviews are blog posts and would only need to be about 250-350 words. I have a large number of the island’s venues covered already, but I need more, especially places that have recently opened. If you know a place, you could write the review in a matter of minutes. My budget is limited, but all work will be paid. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

If you ever require reviews written for the Chiang Mai area let me know.

Saw one of these before.. Showed them some reviews I had written they asked to come talk..

Turned out they wanted to pay 4 baht per word approx, for 250 is word reviews.. And you had to pay your own eating expenses !! Erm yeah sure.. The manager kept phoning me for weeks trying to badger me to do it before he finally sent me an email from his personal one saying he had quit the company due to disagreements with management about the amounts they were offering making his job impossible and non payment of writers.

Every time I look at those little tourist guide books I remember how they got that work done.

So as per Gerd.. Payment rates ??

I'm not sure I warranted an indirect slagging from my original post.

What did ya expect? Chocolates and flowers? :o

If the crew get a whiff of Bullshite, it’s all guns blazing until ya put ya dodger on the table and show otherwise.

I’m just saying…. :D

I dont think you got a slagging, I merely pointed out how past experience of mine worked out here for what seems exactly the same kind of work.

Hence if your paying a fair rate, covering all expenses, and paying your writers promptly then your not being slagged are you ??

So again... Rates per review ?? Expenses covered ?? Payment terms etc..

Not being argumentative for the sake of it, but I find the responses in this thread quite strange. The O.P quite clearly said a couple of hundred words that would be written in a couple of minutes. How many of you are professional writers?? and what's the going rate for a professional writer, living in Thailand, to write for two minutes? Expenses! You'll be asking for an advance next!! When I read the post, I took it to mean a couple of minutes work in exchange for a bottle of beer maybe, but mainly for people who might want to do it for the enjoyment alone.

When I read the post, I took it to mean a couple of minutes work in exchange for a bottle of beer maybe, but mainly for people who might want to do it for the enjoyment alone.

The OP stated payment was being offered. If that means a beer, then fine. But the original statement was never qualified.

Not being argumentative for the sake of it, but I find the responses in this thread quite strange. The O.P quite clearly said a couple of hundred words that would be written in a couple of minutes. How many of you are professional writers?? and what's the going rate for a professional writer, living in Thailand, to write for two minutes? Expenses! You'll be asking for an advance next!! When I read the post, I took it to mean a couple of minutes work in exchange for a bottle of beer maybe, but mainly for people who might want to do it for the enjoyment alone.

Having done technical reviews for electronics and DVD's in the past you would be amazed at what goes into a short review (if done properly) I would often spend 10 to 14 hours on a single DVD review.

For a start you need to go to the establishment, check it out thoroughly, test what its service and fare is like. Often they want you to visit some strange corner of the Island, and so now add in driving there, etc etc.. Do you go eat alone? Or do you take a GF? If you are forced to try a sampling of the menu in some restaurants it would cost far more then they are paying (often). So now you have spent what? 3 or more hours to drive there, experience it and drive back? You now need to write a short review, sure you can often bang out a review in an hour, then proof read, double check for grammar and 100% punctuation (something you don't ever do on fora) then make sure the English is 100% perfect. That's a skill not many can even achieve.

So your looking at a skilled person, with a high command of language, to work for minimum 4 to often 5 or 6 hours. They also have a fuel cost, and a meal cost, to perform this duty. This is supposed to be done for 'a beer'? If you just want a semi literate amateur, to write about somewhere he normally goes to anyway, in exchange for a discounted meal that's far less demanding a job offer!

I should also point out, when this kind of work was offered in the past, the subjects were much more broad than simply restaurant reviews. The publisher wanted lifestyle pieces on the island, eg go to the sailing club at Ao Yon, go to the white water rafting in Phang Nga, go to a lounge bar opening, etc. Their angle to me, and presumably others, was 'pick something your interested in covering, and if approved, then go cover it. However after they 'approved' an idea they came back with "but you want to go to xxx day trip, thats for you to pay"! So yeah sure I am really going to sink 2 days and minimum a few thousand of my own money into writing them a day trip review of an activity up in Phang Nga.

Perhaps your time is worth 'a beer' for a few hours work, but I would say that if they want to do this professionally, and achieve a high level of content, then they had better produce a realistic offer of compensation and cost covering, or get out there and do it themselves. Its obviously not appealing to them, so they need to make it appealing to others.

I thought I was clear in my original post about what I wanted. It was just 250 words about a restaurant, bar or club. This would comprise basic information. I don't know why you would choose to get technical about it. Are there not restaurants you have been to that you could sum up into 250 words. Surely this would be a no-brainer -- a few minutes' work.

I'm just an individual who needs some extra content. I'm paying for it out of my pocket. If I were hiring for a magazine or a guidebook, which perhaps you assumed, I'd look at this block of text you wrote:

-----

I dont think you got a slagging, I merely pointed out how past experience of mine worked out here for what seems exactly the same kind of work.

Hence if your paying a fair rate, covering all expenses, and paying your writers promptly then your not being slagged are you ??

-----

Surely if you are going to expect a professional writer's fee you would surely tidy up any reply to a job posting. The point is, I'm not looking for a professional writer. Just someone who can help out with a few words in exchange for a little cash. I asked for PMs, which I don't think was too unreasonable a request and certainly doesn't warrant this: "Methinks this person was looking for some one to do their work for free ...... Clearly not serious, just casting the net ...."

For such a simple task, people responded as if I were posting an ad for the New York Times.

Edited by vanalli

The weakness of most of the restaurant reviews one gets in the local promo magazines is that if they are not well written and there is a paucity of useful information. They typical reader wants an idea of cost, menu selection, and the quality of food and service. In Phuklet, once you get out of the high price eating places, there is an inconsistency in dishes and overall quality. For example, some dishes in an eatery may be superb, while others akin to regurgitated sputum.

Oh well, everyone's a critic. Considering the diet of some, I think there would be an overflow of Burger King, MK and KFC reviews.

I thought I was clear in my original post about what I wanted. It was just 250 words about a restaurant, bar or club. This would comprise basic information. I don't know why you would choose to get technical about it. Are there not restaurants you have been to that you could sum up into 250 words. Surely this would be a no-brainer -- a few minutes' work.

I'm just an individual who needs some extra content. I'm paying for it out of my pocket. If I were hiring for a magazine or a guidebook, which perhaps you assumed, I'd look at this block of text you wrote:

-----

-----

Surely if you are going to expect a professional writer's fee you would surely tidy up any reply to a job posting. The point is, I'm not looking for a professional writer. Just someone who can help out with a few words in exchange for a little cash. I asked for PMs, which I don't think was too unreasonable a request and certainly doesn't warrant this: "Methinks this person was looking for some one to do their work for free ...... Clearly not serious, just casting the net ...."

For such a simple task, people responded as if I were posting an ad for the New York Times.

You may notice I wrote "then proof read, double check for grammar and 100% punctuation (something you don't ever do on fora) then make sure the English is 100% perfect" in my second post.. Forum rants have little in common with printable review material.

BTW are you the same guy who wanted me to do reviews of Patong establishments (bars, gogo's, etc) in the past (contacted through Phuket-Info IIRC) ?? For the website ??

Yes I'm the same guy (although it was through this website, not that other one), which is why I don't understand why you didn't just PM or email me.

-----

-----

You may notice I wrote "then proof read, double check for grammar and 100% punctuation (something you don't ever do on fora) then make sure the English is 100% perfect" in my second post.. Forum rants have little in common with printable review material.

BTW are you the same guy who wanted me to do reviews of Patong establishments (bars, gogo's, etc) in the past (contacted through Phuket-Info IIRC) ?? For the website ??

Edited by vanalli

Are there not restaurants you have been to that you could sum up into 250 words. Surely this would be a no-brainer -- a few minutes' work.

I got to laugh at this idea of 'a few minutes work'. Believe me, it's would take a lot more than a few minutes to produce a polished review, and that's just for the keyboard time. I used to check out hotels on another forum, and produce reviews. Including site time it took me quite a few hours for just a simple piece.

Are there not restaurants you have been to that you could sum up into 250 words. Surely this would be a no-brainer -- a few minutes' work.

I got to laugh at this idea of 'a few minutes work'. Believe me, it's would take a lot more than a few minutes to produce a polished review, and that's just for the keyboard time. I used to check out hotels on another forum, and produce reviews. Including site time it took me quite a few hours for just a simple piece.

Yes, I do believe you. I write for a living. However, I could write a short, simple overview of a nightclub or restaurant I have been to in a few minutes. Let's take a nightclub, for example:

It's straightforward enough. Where is it? What type of music? What nights are good? What kind of person goes there? What's the vibe like? What type of music? Are the drinks expensive?

Surely some of you have been to places that you can actually remember a little about. We're getting into crazy discussions here anyway. I understand completely what you're saying, but this was just a few pars for a little cash. I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask here. There's really nothing sinister to it.

vanilla, I think the way you wrote your OP was the problem. You made it sound like a paying job. You would have been much better with a sort of help me out please, send me any reviews of places you know about or have been too recently, idea of review format style to suit your needs, and NO mention of payment. Best of luck .... :o

Why do you keep deleting my replies here? I'm slightly confused. Is this topic worth discussing further? I said, "If anyone is interested, please PM me." I have replied to those who PMed me. Surely that should be the end of it.

You did not reply to my post. Are you interested in reviews of establishments located in Chiang Mai?