How Many Deaths Due To Bike Accidents Per Year On Samui?

As a follow up to this thread, a few more people were killed on the road in Samui yesterday. I have heard it has the highest

mortality rate per capita, in all of Thailand, including Bangkok! The roads are atrocious, and the laws are not enforced, except

when the useless police need money for a vacation villa, or a beer party. If the license laws were enforced, and the 10 year olds

were kept off the road, like they are in many other places, it might save a few lives. Of course, if I allowed myself to be very

cynical, I could be talked into believing that the money that the local hospitals generate are enough for the politicians in

Bangkok to encourage the lack of road policing.

Now listen to you. What a lot of BS. Maybe you, YES you should wear a helmet & shoes, maybe learn a bit more about local conditions & road rules.These 10 year olds have actually grown up on the back of a motorbike. Maybe lesson # 1 do not rent a motorbike, do not leave all you learned in your first world country & your brain at the airport when you land.

Oh & before you start having a go at our useless police, yes they are not the best , but what ratio are they to Bkk?

What is the ratio of irresponsible farangs, that should know better?

Dad with a kid & mum with 2 kids on a bike with no helmets & in all probabilities very little bike riding experience if any, but who do you blame? So before you start criticizing , maybe we should all look in the mirror first.

You want to enforce your western values, easy, DO not ride a motorbike.

What a totally bizarre reply to what i thought was a reasonable post! Forget about him looking in the mirror and read his post again Rooo

I have read the post,We all know the inadequacies of Samui law enforcement, nothing new .No breaking news about high mortality rate here .Secondly I never said he should look in the mirror, I said we all should.

Maybe you should read my reply & some of the previous posts by other members over the years ,as to some of the contributing factors to the high numbers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now listen to you. What a lot of BS. Maybe you, YES you should wear a helmet & shoes, maybe learn a bit more about local conditions & road rules.These 10 year olds have actually grown up on the back of a motorbike. Maybe lesson # 1 do not rent a motorbike, do not leave all you learned in your first world country & your brain at the airport when you land.

Oh & before you start having a go at our useless police, yes they are not the best , but what ratio are they to Bkk?

Dad with a kid & mum with 2 kids on a bike with no helmets & in all probabilities very little bike riding experience if any, but who do you blame? So before you start criticizing , maybe we should all look in the mirror first.

Last night I witnessed a long term resident here rent his spare bike to a tourist he met a a half hour previously.

When asked if he''d ever used one his reply was "a couple of times"

All issues of safety go out the window as soon as there is a buck in it.

As a follow up to this thread, a few more people were killed on the road in Samui yesterday. I have heard it has the highest

mortality rate per capita, in all of Thailand, including Bangkok! The roads are atrocious, and the laws are not enforced, except

when the useless police need money for a vacation villa, or a beer party. If the license laws were enforced, and the 10 year olds

were kept off the road, like they are in many other places, it might save a few lives. Of course, if I allowed myself to be very

cynical, I could be talked into believing that the money that the local hospitals generate are enough for the politicians in

What a totally bizarre reply to what i thought was a reasonable post! Forget about him looking in the mirror and read his post again Rooo

I have read the post,We all know the inadequacies of Samui law enforcement, nothing new .No breaking news about high mortality rate here .Secondly I never said he should look in the mirror, I said we all should.

Maybe you should read my reply & some of the previous posts by other members over the years ,as to some of the contributing factors to the high numbers.

I was refering only to the response to spidermike's post. It's not BS. Just the other day three school kids speed past me. inches from my bike, doing more than 60 kph, no helmets. Absolute madness. I don't want to get into the debate of western values, i just feel that anything that can be done to reduce the death toll is of value. That said, i am also guilty of forgetting to wear my helmet, and suffice to say paid the price, both physically and financially. Perhaps if the accident, for example, had occurred in Patong, i would have had to wear my helmet and would'nt have the scars to remind myself everyday.

Now maybe we can go back through the forum & somewhere, there was a snippet of an interview with one police chief.As all others before him & after him, they all complain about the # of officers allocated to Samui.

Let us just take one step at a time. You want to start saving lives? Spread the word, about high death toll Outside the old terminal , they had a board with accident & fatality #'s on it.

I honestly don't need a policeman to tell me to wear a helmet or don't drive drunk or take it easy because I have never ridden a bike before ,or maybe it''s not wise for me to take my wife & child on a bike with no helmet.

Farangs make up a fair # of road deaths & injury ,it's not solely a Thai exclusive.

So where is the BS? It's in the statement that lack of policing in general is the cause of all the trouble.

Says whom? Exactly the right question.

Just the number is around 400, every year on Samui, simple as that.

So the sentence is missing an 'I reckon' is it, or are you basing the figure on something more than your calculations?

I reckon it's probably 1 - 2 a day on average as well but I think people are looking for official stats of some kind rather than guesstimates from other forum users.

Edited by danw

Gimme a 10 year old thai kid any day over some old geezer living his 2nd youth pissed out the bar with a bg on the back of a rented 125.

I - on my motorbike - am hardly endangered by an old drunk geezer driving home at 3 am. But I'm terrified by this f....ng bastards in their (usually) expensive pick-ups taking over in the middle of busy villages with 80-100km/h, or generally driving extremely reckless. They couldn't care less if they lerave back a few dead people! Must have something to do with how easy they get away after an accident.

Says whom? Exactly the right question.

Just the number is around 400, every year on Samui, simple as that.

So the sentence is missing an 'I reckon' is it, or are you basing the figure on something more than your calculations?

I reckon it's probably 1 - 2 a day on average as well but I think people are looking for official stats of some kind rather than guesstimates from other forum users.

Ok mate,

put a: " I reckon"

in the sentence,

but still:

" The number is around 400 a year on Samui!".

Official numbers, where are we???

:)

totally disagree with you Roo, what load of rubbish...good post spidermike007.

but then again,

where are we???

Edited by frankman

but then again,

where are we???

living, working and driving on Samui for the past 5 years :D ....you :D

Now maybe we can go back through the forum & somewhere, there was a snippet of an interview with one police chief.As all others before him & after him, they all complain about the # of officers allocated to Samui.

Let us just take one step at a time. You want to start saving lives? Spread the word, about high death toll Outside the old terminal , they had a board with accident & fatality #'s on it.

I honestly don't need a policeman to tell me to wear a helmet or don't drive drunk or take it easy because I have never ridden a bike before ,or maybe it''s not wise for me to take my wife & child on a bike with no helmet.

Farangs make up a fair # of road deaths & injury ,it's not solely a Thai exclusive.

So where is the BS? It's in the statement that lack of policing in general is the cause of all the trouble.

I agree, but I cant help feeling the lack of law enforcement only encourages people to drive bikes under the influence or without adequate protection. Indeed it is peoples ignorance, not the police, that cause most accidents. However, laws are made with the intention to protect. If these laws are not enforced, the people responsible and paid for enforcing the law must have a question to answer and must accept an element of blame.

Although lack of policing might not be a the cause, it is certainly a contributing factor to the amount of accidents and deaths on our roads.

Ok mate,

put a: " I reckon"

in the sentence,

but still:

" The number is around 400 a year on Samui!".

Official numbers, where are we???

Just checking not intending to be a <deleted> :-) thought maybe you had a contact at a hospital or something. Fair point about the official numbers, I suppose the people who are most likely to know are Samui Rescue - they will have an idea of the % of motorcycle accidents that are fatal, and the number of bikes involved in collisions per day. Oce you've got that information the figure could be quite reliably calculated.