How Many Deaths Due To Bike Accidents Per Year On Samui?

Witnessed an awful accident this afternoon close to Choeng Mon, we heard a skid, turned round and witnessed a pick up travelling sideways at about 100km/h (no word of a lie) sideswipe 3 oncoming bikes. He'd skidded and gone into a spin, no idea what, aside from his speed, caused him to lose control so badly, it is sandy at the side of the road but it's not on a bend.

6 people / 0 helmets. 1 farang man dead, 1 thai lady very seriously injured (breathing but nothing more) and 4 more conscious but smashed up and to hospital.

Something I never want to see, or hear, again. I ran over to try to help but it was such carnage I panicked, have no medical training didn't know what to do just tried to call the ambulance in the midst of screaming people to speed up the medical help. I couldn't get through on the number I had for Thai International, Samui Rescue were there within 4 minutes, someone else must have got the message to them there were a number of other witnesses. It was absolutely horrific.

Somebodies head went hard into the windscreen, I think the farang man. Having some protection could only have helped. This was really one of those cases where any biker no matter how skilled would have been taken off the road - the bikes were travelling slowly behind one another, less than 40km/h but they got taken down like dominoes because of someone else's mistake. Very sickening and very sad. RIP

It's at least the third accident within a 100 metre stretch this year :-/

Edited by danw

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw the ambulances run amok this afternoon towards direction Choengmon.

Go to Wat Plai Laem and go to the big fat smiling statue, before you cross on to the path leading up to the fat man, on your left hand side is a shelter of the Samui Rescue team, there are some very disturbing pictures up there from actual accidents that happened on Samui. Good idea to leave a donation.

Witnessed an awful accident this afternoon close to Choeng Mon, we heard a skid, turned round and witnessed a pick up travelling sideways at about 100km/h (no word of a lie) sideswipe 3 oncoming bikes. He'd skidded and gone into a spin, no idea what, aside from his speed, caused him to lose control so badly, it is sandy at the side of the road but it's not on a bend.

6 people / 0 helmets. 1 farang man dead, 1 thai lady very seriously injured (breathing but nothing more) and 4 more conscious but smashed up and to hospital.

Something I never want to see, or hear, again. I ran over to try to help but it was such carnage I panicked, have no medical training didn't know what to do just tried to call the ambulance in the midst of screaming people to speed up the medical help. I couldn't get through on the number I had for Thai International, Samui Rescue were there within 4 minutes, someone else must have got the message to them there were a number of other witnesses. It was absolutely horrific.

Somebodies head went hard into the windscreen, I think the farang man. Having some protection could only have helped. This was really one of those cases where any biker no matter how skilled would have been taken off the road - the bikes were travelling slowly behind one another, less than 40km/h but they got taken down like dominoes because of someone else's mistake. Very sickening and very sad. RIP

OMG :D:):D

words fail....

LaoPo

OMG :D:):D

How about the driver of the pickup? did he/her take off or wait for the MIB?

words fail....

LaoPo

He kept a distance until the police showed then made himself known, he was out of the car pretty fast, in fact I believe he was out and in the background within the 15 seconds it took to locate my phone and get to the truck - it was the passenger side that did the damage, he was scratched but nothing more.

Most people there were Thai locals and a number had seen the accident play out, there was a big delay and distance from the initial skid to the actual damage, which gave many a chance to turn in time to see what happened and who was at fault. My friend has since looked at the skidmarks and it appears the driver went slightly off road at high speed and lost control trying to correct his mistake, putting the car into a spin onto oncoming traffic :-/

The police took all his details, investigators photographed everything, many locals were explaining the accident to the BIB and it was clear as day from the skidmarks and dents what had happened, and at what speed. They kept him for an hour, then let him drive home - they'd clearly got his details - what happens to him next I don't know.

I can't help this but I will say it anyway if you don't wear a helmet you deserve to be brain dead. Look at 90% of the tourists riding motor bikes around the island no shirt no helmet and some of the ladies no pant's. It's nice being on holiday but no fun taking your friend home in a box.

I can't help this but I will say it anyway if you don't wear a helmet you deserve to be brain dead. Look at 90% of the tourists riding motor bikes around the island no shirt no helmet and some of the ladies no pant's. It's nice being on holiday but no fun taking your friend home in a box.

Possibly a bit harsh John!

I think what you are getting at is that although it's hot here, people must be protected from themselves and the roads here are extremely dangerous. Unfortunately, enforced wearing of helmets is not good for revenue

Just as an update I spoke via my girlfriend to a Thai local who witnessed it in full and from a clearer angle - the driver actually exited the vehicle and ran directly to the farang who was most seriously injured and started trying to help him, he didn't disappear into the background as I indicated above.

Additionally the police didn't let him drive away as I thought, they let him follow them to the police station, he is going to be prosecuted.

Also it appears a Songthaew was making a right turn further up the road where the first skid occurred and he seems to have braked to try to avoid that collision, then lost control due to his speed.

The comment re brain dead - seems very badly timed really, as someone did die but I understand your general point. I do feel that people not wearing helmets are taking unnecessary risks, they can only help a terrible situation have a slightly better ending. I think there needs to be a concerted effort made to really enforce the fact to tourists (and indeed residents) that there is an extraordinary high number of fatal accidents involving motorcycles on the island. People should receive information on arrival at Samui airport, when hiring bikes, and perhaps via some kind of independant campaign - signage in tourist accomodation, the numerous island magazines etc.

Tourists should be warned of ther risks but unfortunately many seem to check their brain in at customs upon arrival in Thailand and think doing all those things they would never dream of doing at home is totally fine whilst in the LOS.

On the other hand, locals should become more aware as well and parents could start with having their 10 to 15 year olds not driving motorbikes.

Both utopian at the time being.

Unfo the dead Foreign man was another Italian, age around 37 so not a kid, the worst thing is to call home and advise the parents.

Even worst to see... the driver and his mate laughing at the Police station, because the life of a falang is not so important and

they will never get charge for what they did...

I can not be specific about the official Police report for obviously reasons, but I would appreciate in case somebody have been witness

to send me a PM with his/her details because in case of needs it would be helpful to punish the Pick up Driver.

Condolences to the victim R.I.P.

Edited by Geppis72

Unfo the dead Foreign man was another Italian, age around 37 so not a kid, the worst thing is to call home and advise the parents.

Not a good week for italian drivers.. :)

Regarding the helmet i think it is marginally useful on small accidents, unless you have one with total front glass with complete bike antiskid wear, not likely...

How much is the rent difference per day from a deadly bike and a small car, like a suzuki?

What punishment are you talking about? In europe nobody gets anything for killing accidents, after 2 or 3 years they go on trial and the insurance pay. Even if they were moderately drunk....

Edited by kosh

People should receive information on arrival at Samui airport, when hiring bikes, and perhaps via some kind of independant campaign - signage in tourist accomodation, the numerous island magazines etc.

Perhaps clearer information on tourists insurance policies regarding driving bikes while either drunk or without a helmet might be more effective. Oh and an idea of the cost of a prolonged stay in one of the islands private hospitals.

Quote: Regarding the helmet i think it is marginally useful on small accidents, unless you have one with total front glass with complete bike antiskid wear, not likely...

How much is the rent difference per day from a deadly bike and a small car, like a suzuki?

This is really incorrect. Many accidents with motorcycles result in serious injury where the skull comes in contact with the concrete, and the result is

not a pretty one. It does not require high speeds. Striking the skull on concrete at 10km. per hour, at the right angle can be enough to crack it right open.

So, the helmets make a TREMENDOUS difference. Especially if they are decent helmets. Like the Index helmets built to a decent safety standard here.

My girlfriends' 16 year old brother was driving my bike some time ago, with my helmet, and got in an accident. He got quite scratched up. The helmet was

demolished, but held up. I hate to think of what would have happened to his head, had it taken that impact on the pavement.

Would be a good idea to post the many needless deaths of bike riders (no license). Does ANYONE know the death toll?

yes by far the most dangerous thing in samui is bikes. foget mafia, jet skie, rock climbing, bumgy jumping shooting range. go karts, thai boxing, water sports.

Number 1 for accidents is motor bikes.

i have a full bike liscence from my native country. so i know when people are driving wrong. i see many people make big mistakes. the numer 1 thing people do is rent a bike with no experience or road knoledge. then go round a sandy corner . slam the front brake up and the bike locks up and they are all off. 1 after the other. the main corner is the fishermans village corner. many many ......................

Tourists should be warned of ther risks but unfortunately many seem to check their brain in at customs upon arrival in Thailand and think doing all those things they would never dream of doing at home is totally fine whilst in the LOS.

On the other hand, locals should become more aware as well and parents could start with having their 10 to 15 year olds not driving motorbikes.

Both utopian at the time being.

yes i agree. many propblems in thailand can be avoided by just common sense. people have more freedome so they get too releaxed and leave there brains at home.

example everyone know that jet ski lot are ruthless when there is an eccident yet i see them again and again driving very close to each other. and turning and close up to the rocks. play with fire u wil get burnt but don't cry about it

Still nothing even remotely touching on the original question of death by bike statistics on Samui. Surely there is a government branch that keeps tally of such things.

Someone with red-hot Thai abilities should call round the offices and whatnot. There ARE stats on this somewhere....

When death statistics used to be routinely published (in Community Magazine), I remember two deaths via bike accidents being a slow month and six being a high count (maybe 8-10 in a year would be foreigners)- the majority occurred late at night, alcohol was usually involved, helmets were almost never worn, and most riders didn't have licenses.

Since there is a nearly complete lack of law enforcement on Samui, when it comes to the roads, the least

we can do as motorcycle drives is wear a good quality helmet, with international standards. The head is a

delicate thing, and the concrete roads here are very unforgiving. I have been riding for 37 years, and it gives

me the willies to get out there without a good helmet.

I think you are right... it is the LEAST we can do! Riding a bike on samui is so dangerous now... so many crazy/drunk/inexperienced car drivers!! It's madness! Have you seen the 'Samui Rescue' YouTube site? There is one vid just of those that died on samui because they wern't wearing helmets... scary! I don't know over what period the pictures cover, but the message is pretty clear... wearing a helmet could safe your life.

As a follow up to this thread, a few more people were killed on the road in Samui yesterday. I have heard it has the highest

mortality rate per capita, in all of Thailand, including Bangkok! The roads are atrocious, and the laws are not enforced, except

when the useless police need money for a vacation villa, or a beer party. If the license laws were enforced, and the 10 year olds

were kept off the road, like they are in many other places, it might save a few lives. Of course, if I allowed myself to be very

cynical, I could be talked into believing that the money that the local hospitals generate are enough for the politicians in

Bangkok to encourage the lack of road policing.

As a follow up to this thread, a few more people were killed on the road in Samui yesterday. I have heard it has the highest

mortality rate per capita, in all of Thailand, including Bangkok! The roads are atrocious, and the laws are not enforced, except

when the useless police need money for a vacation villa, or a beer party. If the license laws were enforced, and the 10 year olds

were kept off the road, like they are in many other places, it might save a few lives. Of course, if I allowed myself to be very

cynical, I could be talked into believing that the money that the local hospitals generate are enough for the politicians in

Well Koh Samui has about 50 tousand residents and how many tourists and workers from isan etc. Not difficult to get the highest rate per capita then. I totaly agree that the roads here are dangerous, but i feel a lot more safe here than Phuket or Bkk and I am sure the death rate there is higher, they only have more permanent residents so the number looks lower.

Now listen to you. What a lot of BS. Maybe you, YES you should wear a helmet & shoes, maybe learn a bit more about local conditions & road rules.These 10 year olds have actually grown up on the back of a motorbike. Maybe lesson # 1 do not rent a motorbike, do not leave all you learned in your first world country & your brain at the airport when you land.

Oh & before you start having a go at our useless police, yes they are not the best , but what ratio are they to Bkk?

What is the ratio of irresponsible farangs, that should know better?

Dad with a kid & mum with 2 kids on a bike with no helmets & in all probabilities very little bike riding experience if any, but who do you blame? So before you start criticizing , maybe we should all look in the mirror first.

You want to enforce your western values, easy, DO not ride a motorbike.

Rooo:

These 10 year olds have actually grown up on the back of a motorbike.

Meaning what? They are seasoned professionals?

They're probably not 10 years old anyway, probably more like 13+, but still, they drive like total fuc_king maniacs without regard to their own safety or yours or mine. They are driving illegally, over any reasonable speed limit and often two or three on a bike -- pulling wheelies and trying to look cool by executing near misses with each other and anyone else in their paths.

I see no particular defense of underage drivers on bikes that makes any sense.Sure, they are used to driving or riding on bikes, but abuse whatever knowledge they have in a very dangerous way.

Rooo:

They're probably not 10 years old anyway, probably more like 13+, but still, they drive like total fuc_king maniacs without regard to their own safety or yours or mine. They are driving illegally, over any reasonable speed limit and often two or three on a bike -- pulling wheelies and trying to look cool by executing near misses with each other and anyone else in their paths.

I see no particular defense of underage drivers on bikes that makes any sense.Sure, they are used to driving or riding on bikes, but abuse whatever knowledge they have in a very dangerous way.

Before you get any further here, check what age Thai's are allowed to ride a motorcycle , licence or no licence..Secondly, please tell me how many foreigners hold a current motorcycle licence. Now are these maniacs any different to any kids you find in your home country? Please tell me they are :)

"Allowed" to ride a motorbike without a license? By whom?

"Hey kid, you're only 5 years old! What the hel_l are you doing on a motorbike?"

"I'm allowed! My brother said I could."

"How old is your brother?"

"Seven...."

This foreigner holds licenses for bikes and cars in Thailand. (By the way, having or not having a license doesn't necessarily mean you are a good driver or a bad one; however, being a prepubescent boy on a bike seems like a bad idea, seeing how they drive.)

I don't know, I've never seen a 10-year-old (or one 13) riding a motorbike on the street, license or not, hel_l-bent for leather or not (in my country). So I guess they must be different, unless your home is Vietnam or Cambodia where the same things go on.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Well Koh Samui has about 50 tousand residents and how many tourists and workers from isan etc. Not difficult to get the highest rate per capita then. I totaly agree that the roads here are dangerous, but i feel a lot more safe here than Phuket or Bkk and I am sure the death rate there is higher, they only have more permanent residents so the number looks lower.

I made the mistake of heading over to Patong from Samui to visit some friends last year and found it surprising how many people were wearing helmets compared to what I have become used to on Samui. In the two days they had been there, they had both been pulled over and fined (one of them on two separate occasions and as a result wore helmets). I also met up with three thai friends I had previosly met in Samui and was suprised to see everyone of them turn up wearing helmets. They explained that if you drive a bike in and around Patong you are more likely than not to be stopped and fined. I observed at least a dozen people being pulled over in the week that I was in Patong. It wasnt the 'road block' set up I have seen on Samui but just a passing policeman on a bike.

It seems the deterant of constantly being fined was enough to make them put a helmet on. The annoyance of publicly paying 300-500Bt seemed more of a deterant than the thought of endangering your life. To be honest the helmets they wore were the plastic looking type that might not help too much if you were to have an accident and they were never strapped but I do believe any amount of protection for your head is a step in the right direction.

Although I cant condone police lining their pockets, if police can take money from all those not wearing a helmet, why do the police on Samui not do it more often? Either they would make a fortune or most people would grudgingly wear a helmet (Win win situation). I may be wrong but from my expirence in Patong the consistancy of police fines seemed to work as quite an effective deterant.

Rooo:

Before you get any further here, check what age Thai's are allowed to ride a motorcycle , licence or no licence..Secondly, please tell me how many foreigners hold a current motorcycle licence. Now are these maniacs any different to any kids you find in your home country? Please tell me they are :)

Sorry im being lazy here. At whay age is a chlid allowed to ride a motorcycle, licensce or no licensce, in Thailand?. Although I agree these kids have more motorcycle expierience than most tourists, watching children driving bikes with infants as passengers is really quite worrying and im suprised, cultures aside, your previous post migh condone this practice?

Rooo:

Sorry im being lazy here. At whay age is a chlid allowed to ride a motorcycle, licensce or no licensce, in Thailand?. Although I agree these kids have more motorcycle expierience than most tourists, watching children driving bikes with infants as passengers is really quite worrying and im suprised, cultures aside, your previous post migh condone this practice?

Do not condone kids riding bikes or carrying on the way they do, simply stating that they have far more riding ability then many of the tourists that come here & rent bikes.

Riding age? Well I've been told they can start riding from 13 & then get a licence at 16.But then they could have been telling me lies.

As for riding antics, not unique to Thailand ,that problem is manifested in many countries.

Now listen to you. What a lot of BS. Maybe you, YES you should wear a helmet & shoes, maybe learn a bit more about local conditions & road rules.These 10 year olds have actually grown up on the back of a motorbike. Maybe lesson # 1 do not rent a motorbike, do not leave all you learned in your first world country & your brain at the airport when you land.

Oh & before you start having a go at our useless police, yes they are not the best , but what ratio are they to Bkk?

What is the ratio of irresponsible farangs, that should know better?

Dad with a kid & mum with 2 kids on a bike with no helmets & in all probabilities very little bike riding experience if any, but who do you blame? So before you start criticizing , maybe we should all look in the mirror first.

You want to enforce your western values, easy, DO not ride a motorbike.

What a totally bizarre reply to what i thought was a reasonable post! Forget about him looking in the mirror and read his post again Rooo