Renewing My 1yr Drivers Licence In Samui

hi, my Thai licence expires in 12 days... where can I renew it in Samui ? what do I need to bring ?

Thanks for your help

Kevin

the ministry of transport is past nathon,turn right at sign for lipa noi beach and its just passed jonny's cafe on left hand side.

you will need to get a certificate of residence from immigration at nathon,i think 300baht,photo copy of passport page with photo on,and i'm not sure but i think page showing what visa you have.you can apply for a 5 year licence if you want.also 2 photo's which you can get at the shop just outside transport dept. office.If your bringing recent photo's with you ,make sure they are the small size,not passport size.to get the certificate of residence you should take along evidence of where you live on samui too.i think i've covered the basics.

no need to bring your own photos,

lady inside makes it with own equipment and puts it directly from camera onto your new (plastic) license.

(they dont use the "old" paper photos now.)

I think, certificate from doctor is necessary too.(middle of nathon, right side, about 100 baht)

copy from visa is necessary too.

and go there not much after 9.00 AM....

Wow thank you guys that was quick, and precisely what I needed to know, thanks for your help :o

Last year when I got my licence, they didn't need photo s goldfinger said, as the new licence are all fancy, digital and placitified, lol...

I was told that I didn't need a doctor's certificate tho, as I'm renewing my existing thai licence...

I was told that I didn't need a doctor's certificate tho, as I'm renewing my existing thai licence...

That seems to vary from office to office. I just renewed my 5 year license in Chiangmai and a medical certificate was required. If you are going from a 1 year to a 5 year license you need to wait until the one year license expires. A day or two after expiration should be fine. It was explained to me that Thai law states a driver license must be at least 1 year old before it can be renewed.

And in case you didnt know, wear a real t-shirt with arms. I had a shirt with no arms and the lady told me to come back with clothes on! Even though my shirt had a big flag of Thailand saying "I love Thailand" with Thai letters! Had to go and buy a shirt in Nathon and come back. Probably well known fact, but i post it anyway. :o .

Also i needed to bring medical certificate. About a year and a half ago.

Good luck.

And in case you didnt know, wear a real t-shirt with arms. I had a shirt with no arms and the lady told me to come back with clothes on! Even though my shirt had a big flag of Thailand saying "I love Thailand" with Thai letters! Had to go and buy a shirt in Nathon and come back. Probably well known fact, but i post it anyway. :D .

Also i needed to bring medical certificate. About a year and a half ago.

Good luck.

Dang, I planed to go there butt naked, now I guess I'll have to wear some clothes on! :o

So I have to wait til the licence is expired... can I still drive to go to Nathon, with my expired licence ? lol (joking)

....if you don´t have the doctors paper, and "she" didn´t sleep well the night before(or alone :o ), maybe it´s a reason to send you away...

so for 100 Baht, doing the same procedure the next day again, I wouldnt try.

and the doctor needs to eat also.... :D

best is you go on the day of expiry of your old license.

1. Your old driving license.

2. Copy passport.

3. Copy Visa.

4. Letter from immigration showing your address / Yellow tabien bahn / copies from your WP.

5. Medical certificate.

All of the above in double copies if renewing for both MC and car.

4. Letter from immigration showing your address / Yellow tabien bahn / copies from your WP.

Can I get this at the immigration in Samui ? Can I bring them a UBC True invoice at my name and address, is that sufficient ?

Thanks

Yes you get it from Samui Immigration. This is the form you need.

You will need to take a passport size photo for the residence certificate. They used to provide the photo service at Immigration. For a special fee. The certificate should be free but they will charge you.

The Lady who had a "bad nights sleep" simply canceled my license years ago and said cause it was over some time limit and that I had to make a new test for a new license!

I replied that i have several licenses to drive all sort of vehicles for over 30 years an can prove it, her only reply was: "This is Thailand"! TiT at it's finest!

These are laws!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Had to renew my ‘private car’ driver’s license and did that this week. Went in yesterday and almost was in and out in ten minutes when they noticed my former one year license was more than 12 months out of date. Told to come back tomorrow between 08:30

and 09:30.

Went into the driver’s license office at 9am. At 9:30 about 20 Thai applicants and 8 Farang applicants went upstairs to take physical tests. All the Thais were tested on these tests, and then all the Farangs, seemingly in order of arrival from 8:30 within each group. Tests were easy to understand and clerk gave enough directions to Farang in simple English if they needed it to understand.

Physical tests:

Color blindness – everybody lined up in order, first all the Thais, then the Farang. The big chart did not have any ‘hidden’ letters or numbers, just many colored dots in 4 colors. She points to a dot and you tell her (English is fine) what color it is. This test was done downstairs.

Reaction speed – sitting in a seat with a mock gas and brake pedal, you need to change from pressing on the ‘gas’ pedal to pressing on the 'brake pedal' within a certain time when a green light turns to red. People were given multiple attempts if necessary.

Depth perception – from the same seat you picked up a control which moved a vertical white rod inside a black box which had cut outs to see inside of it. There was another fixed rod and you had to separate the two rods and then bring the moveable one back close to the fixed rod. A reasonably well done and effective test seemed like everybody passed.

Field of view – moving to the back of the black box you had to put your nose to a center point and then tell the color and side (to your left or to your right) of lights that came on. Not too hard even without glasses (assuming you usually wear glasses).

One person, Thai, was told to come back tomorrow when they did not pass this part.

When I finished I was given (upon my request) a laminated booklet on just the road signs. This was in multiple languages and alphabets, including English. She said I had 30 minutes to look at it, but wanted it back when she finished testing in 15 minutes. I asked to study longer and that was no problem. The Thais were given a much larger booklet. It was now 11:00 and I was told to come back at 13:00.

Written test – this was given on one of 4 electronic consoles. Far from state of the art but surprisingly modern. Buttons were labeled in English and Thai. As each person finished another person was called in to start.

Scored 25 out of 30 to pass, another TV poster said passing score was 23.

Test Lady was severe, but answered questions (instructions said only once, but she answered more than one question for me). Urged me to finish when I was checking my answers and had the paper already printed which showed my score when I came up with the data card from test. Don’t change anything if she wants you to press finish, would be my suggestion.

Some question seemed to be repeated, both exactly and also same question

with different wording on the answers. They may have been randomly generated for each testee, thus the duplication.

Many questions were on road signs, about 40 to 60%. Study the booklet if you want to pass! It was good to finally know what some of these signs meant since I drive in other areas where they actually use many of these signs. Watch for the difference between ‘road narrows’

and ‘bridge ahead’ as they are similar. Also note that a picture of a car with the circle and crossed line (the universal ‘don’t) symbolism means no cars, not no vehicles.

Some questions were about parking and right of way. These were not in the

booklet I got. I was not invited to watch the video shown after the physical

tests and I did not request that. Some pictures were hard to see and understand on the computer screen of the test terminal.

Driving test – I thought I had to also take a driving test, but wasn’t asked to do so. I took a chance on driving myself there with my expired license on advice of others.

This was all 665 baht, and I got one receipt for 3 items totaling 550 baht and another receipt for 100 baht. The Hungarian man before me paid over 1,000 baht, but I didn’t see what license or licenses he was getting. They took a picture themselves for the license and some of the other men wore a T-shirt without that being a problem. License says expiry date is my birthday on 2015, but there is another year noted that is 4 years off (2558). I need to get translation on that part. I was asked to take off my glasses :) and knew enough not to smile. She also asked if I wanted a plastic sleeve for the license for 10 baht. Quality of the actual license was good, picture followed tradition by being very unflattering……

Maybe I picked a lucky day, but the clerk was much better than when I saw her 2 years before, fairly professional and almost seeming friendly. I did have all my paperwork in order. They were fine with a copy of my work permit rather than a certificate of residence. I never needed to show them any originals other than the expired license.

hi, my Thai licence expires in 12 days... where can I renew it in Samui ? what do I need to bring ?

Thanks for your help

Kevin

I renewed my 1 yr license at Samui Transport office one month ago and was in and out with a 5 year one in 15 mins, you need to show the following,

1. Your expired one year license

2. A copy of your passport and visa

3. A medical certificate, I got mine form Dr A in Maenam his clinic is approx 100m before the Santiburi Hotel on the left-hand side if you were travelling from Bophut cost 100B

4. I also took a copy of my work permit though I am not sure if that is needed.

5. Arrive no later then 9.30am

You do NOT need a proof of address from immigration for renewing a license and you do not need to provide pictures, the lady who renews the license has to take the pictures they will not accept yours.

As always when visiting any government office wear appropriate clothing and a smile can go along way.