Where Do All The Down To Earth People Hang Out At

I'm sure I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for. But anyways I'm gonna try on here. Today went with a friend to this expat lunch being held at Sila Evasion Hideaway, the cost 800 baht per person. Ok so

1st. 800 baht for a get together sounds stupid for that price but ok, i'll pay it go with a open mind ( includes buffet food )

was lots of people came but mostly few people talking and mostly just under the sun drinking wine, lot of europeans though but thats fine, talked with a few people there, most seem just to come seemed like cause they have nothing to do, so quite a few people really well dressed up. Meet an older gentleman there sat with me, asked him about people coming do they really ever discuss like normal things how's business, whats new, how do you think the year will go, he told me nothing like that more or less just people with nothing to do and looking for money to do business with. Not really a group interested in being down to earth. All parties are held at hotels ( ok so when many people get together understand you got to have a place to hold all these people ) Buffet ok, miniature servings of everything, mostly felt disappointed going, seemed more like some fake event most smiles didn't even seem geninue, and most where serious, didn't see any smiling faces really, at 800 baht i've had way better food than that for 800 baht. Anyway if all the upclass people are going to this where the heck are all the normal people hanging out at who are down to earth and actually talk about real things and aren't so fake

Your choice of venue probably has a lot to do with the sort of people your talking about. Down to earth people do not eat at a hotel where the cheapest rooms are over 14000 Baht per night :o

Plenty of bars on Samui to meet decent people. You'll still encounter the fakes but that's life mate.

About down to earth people...

Yes, some like to stay in expensive hotels doesn´t make them LESS down to earth, does it?

Money doesn´t make anyone a better person so money is completly irrelevant.

Also you do not need to wear hippie clothes or join greenpeace to be a "down to earth-person" either.

It is not the attributes that makes the person it is the heart.

Attributes is irrelevant as long as you are not true to yourself.

Genuine empathy is rare these days, but it still exists. :o

/comehome

Edited by Comehome

this is true- the real secret to meeting down to earth people is to be down to earth yourself. if you show a genuine interest in people and refuse to get caught up in their superficiality, you will be surprised whose barriers drop, even if it does take some time. there are "real" and "fake" people in every walk of life.

I'm sure I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for. But anyways I'm gonna try on here. Today went with a friend to this expat lunch being held at Sila Evasion Hideaway, the cost 800 baht per person. Ok so

1st. 800 baht for a get together sounds stupid for that price but ok, i'll pay it go with a open mind ( includes buffet food )

was lots of people came but mostly few people talking and mostly just under the sun drinking wine, lot of europeans though but thats fine, talked with a few people there, most seem just to come seemed like cause they have nothing to do, so quite a few people really well dressed up. Meet an older gentleman there sat with me, asked him about people coming do they really ever discuss like normal things how's business, whats new, how do you think the year will go, he told me nothing like that more or less just people with nothing to do and looking for money to do business with. Not really a group interested in being down to earth. All parties are held at hotels ( ok so when many people get together understand you got to have a place to hold all these people ) Buffet ok, miniature servings of everything, mostly felt disappointed going, seemed more like some fake event most smiles didn't even seem geninue, and most where serious, didn't see any smiling faces really, at 800 baht i've had way better food than that for 800 baht. Anyway if all the upclass people are going to this where the heck are all the normal people hanging out at who are down to earth and actually talk about real things and aren't so fake

an interesting question.What are you doing on Samui?working,retired,long holiday.I guess from your post you are not working cos you'd have a bunch of people to hang out with,and meet more people.I dont know the answer to your question,depends on your situation here.

From my experience there are some kindred spirits here and i've found them from the area in which i live,also from fequenting bars here.You will meet some no hopers too,and you will meet the fly by nighters.Just have get out and about,and sort them out,takes time.

About down to earth people...

Yes, some like to stay in expensive hotels doesn´t make them LESS down to earth, does it?

Money doesn´t make anyone a better person so money is completly irrelevant.

Also you do not need to wear hippie clothes or join greenpeace to be a "down to earth-person" either.

It is not the attributes that makes the person it is the heart.

Attributes is irrelevant as long as you are not true to yourself.

Genuine empathy is rare these days, but it still exists. :D

/comehome

:o Meanwhile, back in the real World!!!!

Okay, let me try shed some light onto all this. You have attended the SKAL brunch I believe (first one of the year) which will be held monthly or bi-monthly in the future. Yesterdays brunch was a family/friend affair

(not the regular monthly dinner meeting event) Lot's of kids as well and friends, approx. 40 members of all the 80+ attendees.

Lot's of Europeans, yes but also many Thais. Highest nationality in the SKAL club of Samui are Thais (20 members) followed by European and other nationalities. (Total 22 nationalities in the club).

The brunch was not meant to be to talk business but if you wanted to talk business with someone from Samui, I am sure that person would have responded. It is always up to oneself to do the best of it.

Judging by your comments you are obviously not a member, but if you wish to become a member and work in the hospitality industry on Samui, please come to the next regular meeting and I will introduce you to whoever is around.

Who was up-class yesterday ? I know most of them and there was nobody up-class there (of course some people pretend to be better than others....)

The buffet (yes, small portions of most of the items, to ensure freshness and constant replenishment), it is a plus rather than a minus to present a bufet this way. Food selection/quality was more than any other brunch I have seen on Samui in recent years. Baht 800.-net for that buffet incl. free flowing beer, red/white wine and Prosecco is very reasonable......

Guess you just expected something else. Would like to know who invited you.....

Will the original poster please define:

"Down to earth people"

from answers.com-

1. Realistic; sensible.

1. Not pretentious or affected; straightforward.

2. Not overly ornate; simple in style.

i would suggest to the op that open beer, wine, and prosecco as well as lunch at an evason is not in the least expensive.

there is down to earth and then there is plain old cheap. you may well be the latter.

........... there are "real" and "fake" people in every walk of life.

I do basically agree, but as it is rather superficial I wish to add that the more upper scale one gets' the more likely one is going to encounter mega-fake-people it's just asit is - very unlikely that one meets a beggar in klong toey or a rikshaw driver who is a fake!

But then the answer is already within the question and yes, permeates from the op's post!

More likely to meet, "down to earth" people at the beach while having a walk, may be at the wednesday's bbq at ark-bar or more likely just while elbow bending at any bar, pub or joining activities like pool competitions, playing golf, hash house harriers, there are quite a few activities going on on Samui AND KPG no one has to be alone - who doesn't wish to be alone!

Hello... i am new here, and just got back from 2spending 2 great weeks on beaches around southern thailand. The nicest people i've met were on Haad Yao! :o and I've missed them terribly!

Which island? Panghan?

Edited by longtom

ON Earth(on the ground). Having said that, I have met some really great people and made some good friend at the local shopping Mall, TEsco Lotus, met an Aussie guy(Jim) at Big C about four years ago and have been best of friends since then. Just a matter of getting out and about and during it the Thai way smile, say hi and go from there. :D:D:D:D Met an American Lady last week, at local Supermarket, talk my ear OFF, after chatting with her for about 15 minutes, hearing her Up"s and down's my downs were pale to her. :wai::o

The original poster said:

Anyway if all the upclass people are going to this where the heck are all the normal people hanging out at who are down to earth and actually talk about real things and aren't so fake

So I gather (and the OP has gone dark, it seems) that this person is uptown folk, with money to spend (on something reasonably worth it) who wants to mix with a group of people (not just meet a swell, single, educated fellow like me -- or you) and wants to have erudite conversations about more than superficial topics.

Well, unless you think talking about football and comparing notes on bar-babes by jubjubs with a Chang beer as a permanent extension to the hand is meaningful, 99 percent of pubs are out. Since people don't really congregate in other places (you might try striking up conversations just before the King's Song in a theater...), it might be difficult to satisfy the "normal people" requirement.

My suggestion would be to form your own club of well-heeled intelligentsia. Start small, say five or six people, and have a barbecue on the beach. Perhaps vet membership according to test results from an online IQ service like Queendom dot com. Perhaps potential "normal people...who are down to earth" should take the AMPM Personality Test.

Are you ready for some serious self-reflection? The following test is a shortened version of our most popular personality assessment, the AMPM. The AMPM is an overarching assessment of your personality - you will come away from taking it with a much richer understanding of who you are as a person. It should really get you thinking about what it means to be you!

Some of you people haven't changed. Two years ago before I came to Samui I asked here if there were girls other than the service industry types around to meet and I got attacked for 1-2 pages about being so full of myself for wanting to have a conversation with a woman beyond "you, me, boom boom"*. Back to this topic - I've been to some of these events and it has less to do with the cost of things than it does people who put on a show of being over prim and proper. They aren't "bad" people (unless they are just sizing you up for a real estate scam). But put people in a really nice setting like an event at an expensive resort (14k/ per night?) and they tend to put on a more respectable face and come across less down to earth than if you met the same person out at a pub. For example, meet make someone pay 800 baht at a fancy buffet and they will probably still eat and drink less than they would at a free BBQ at a pub. Who cares if you get sloppy drunk or make a pig of yourself in one of those places? As far as advice where to find them, there are already some good suggestions above.

* Nope, never found an available one.