• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

2. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

3. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

4. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

5. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

6. 563

White Culture

7. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

8. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

9. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

10. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

11. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 125

Trump chickens out again.

14. 68

15. 68

Bloody Samsung Mobiles Are A Bit Fragile!

Drew Aitch

Hi folks.

This is just an opportunist post really on the off-chance someone knows of a fix-it guru for mobile phones. I bought a brand new 9,000 Baht Samsung after a lifetime of Nokia phones for no other reason than I fancied a change!

Anyway, it was sitting in my backpack zipped up in its own little pocket one day and at the bottom of that bag was a bag of hot soy milk. I got home a few minutes later, and the hot soy milk had made the inside of the bag condensate. I took the phone out of its pocket and it had tiny droplets of water over it and hasn’t worked since :o

I took it back to the shop of purchase and they informed there is no support for Samsung phones in CM. Went to a few other shops and they said the same, ‘Samsung no have after sales in Chiang Mai

Believe it or not, I then came across a Samsung customer care centre a few days later along the side of the moat, but they told me the phone was buggered and the cost of repair would be equal to, or more than, the value of the phone. (I know now why I liked Nokia so much!)

Alas, it looks brand new, it shows no signs of damage, but I guess the electronics inside got damp and caused it to malfunction.

Anyway, I had my replacement nicked from a Wawee coffee shop last Tuesday which is why I’d like to see if I can get this one repaired before I go out and buy yet another mobile. So if anyone here knows of a man who can, or might be able to, please let me know. Btw, none of the shops in Central Kad Suan Kaew (ground floor or 4th) will touch it.

Aitch

Bought black model and its still looks like new, not to mention outfitted with the clear plastic shield case and also screen protector. Looks so sexy and well received many ooo's and ahhhs from complete strangers. However truth be told if a thai has a choice Nokia will be the choice - even though they are complete rubbish/cheap - tossed them in the bin after one use types.

There is a mobile phone repair shop on first floor of Pantip plaza (near restrooms). He may be able to help, you might try taking cover off and using hair dryer to dry it out. Worked on phone dropped in water by family member.

My mobile, a Nokia, got waterlogged. Was told it was a goner. Bought a new battery and junked the old one. Placed the opened mobile overnight under and close to a 70W lamp. In the morning placed the new battery inside and whoala, it worked fine and has so for a year now. Possibly try a lamp, as the hair dryer may prove too hot and melt critical components. Just a thought...good luck. :o

Thanks for all the replies folks, it is appreciated.

The problem with my Samsung SGH-E890 is not with drying it out, as this happened over 5 months ago now, so it’ll be as dry as a bone. The main issue I’ve had with Samsung is firstly, finding somewhere who’ll take a look at the phones without wanting to send them to Bkk. Also, according to the service center, even the plastic facades can cost half as much as the phone itself providing they can get hold of them, so god only knows what they’ll be charging for electronic repairs and or replacements!

I found this a little strange because a lot of folks mange to damage the covers of the their phones from time to time by dropping, knocking or scratching them, and so one would think that such exchangeable parts would be commonplace. With Nokia, you can just walk into one of many stores and change the covers on the spot for a few hundred Baht, or at worse, wait a few days if you have to order.

With Samsung, if the replacement parts aren’t available in Bkk, you can wait up to 12 weeks to order them from Singapore according to the outfit in CM. Sounds more like they have a policy to make a new sale as opposed to accommodating repair!

Oh well, lesson leaned – no more Samsung mobiles for me!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks.

Just a quick update on the above mobile. Although Samsung customer care told me it would cost more to repair than it would to buy a new one, and even though the shops in Central Kad Suan Kaew told me it was irreparable, I kept hold of it simply because it looked perfect despite its malfunction, and also because it cost 9,500 Baht. I thought I might be able to find an old tatty one once this model got old, and simply put its guts into my new housing.

Anyway, thanks to our very own Alexis, he told me to try the little shops at Rimping Market (Just opposite the Pub), on the way to Doi Suthep. Well, 24 hours later and 800 baht, it's as good as new. The stall was called UpPhone half way up the far right isle of the market as you walk in.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else might want to try here if they having trouble getting a phone repaired

Cheers

Aitch