Certified Copy Of Usa Passport In Thai

SaratogaSki

Has anyone needed to have a certified copy of their passport in Thai, if so how do l go about getting

this done. And where do l start, l'm trying to buy a unit in a co-op and this is required as it's tied in with the government. l haven't had any luck getting information from any Thai agency, as they put me on hold

and forget to pick-up, l guess they don't know either. So I need your help.

Your local Thai bank manager ought to be able to do this. I had to provide a certified copy of my British passport last year (for an institution in UK) – the manager of my local bank (Kasikorn Bank) provided this service for free.

I don't think you are going to find this to as easy as you think. From the consualte web site, below is the process to get a document issued in the US certificated or authenticated.

What you hopefully can do is get them to notarize a statement from you that it is your passport.

Good luck

TH

Procedures for Authentication and Legalizing Official Documents Issued In the United States

Official documents requiring authentication will need to be certified first by the entity that issued them, then by the state in which that entity is located, and then by the federal government (the U.S. State Department). Once the document has been authenticated by the U.S. State Department, the foreign embassy in the United States of the country requesting the document will perform a final authentication. Following is a brief outline of what will be required (though the actual requirements will vary greatly from state to state).

To authenticate and legalize official documents issued in the United States, please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Obtain the Document

If you do not already have the document, contact the custodian of records where the document was originally issued to obtain a copy. In some cases you may be required to obtain a new sealed copy for the purposes of authentication, even if you already possess a copy. Please check with your respective state.

Academic Records: Contact the respective academic institution directly for information on what it will need to certify the document’s authenticity. Some academic institutions require the submission of the original diploma; others issue a true copy themselves. Most academic transcripts issued to the student, for example, cannot be used for official purposes; a new sealed copy must be obtained.

Step 2: Contact the State Authentication Office

Authentication procedures vary from state to state. We strongly encourage patrons to contact their respective state’s authentication office for more information. Refer to the National Association of Secretaries of State website to locate the state specific Authentication Authorities at: http://www.usa.gov/ Home Page > A-Z Index> S> State Agencies by Topic> State Government Home Pages.

* In some cases, the Clerk of Court is required to certify that the Notary's term has not expired in the county where the Notary Public is commissioned.

Step 3: Obtain Signature and Seal from State Secretary of State (State Authentication Office)

The document must then be signed and sealed by the Secretary of State in the state where the Notary is located, certifying to the Notary’s current status. For contact information, visit the State Department’s list of State Authentication Authorities at: http://www.nass.org Homepage> Issues> Business Services> Notary Services> Choose a State to get to the state Notary Public Website.

Step 4: Obtain U.S. Department of State Authentication

Forward all documents to the U.S. Department of State at the following address:

Department of State Documents Authentication Office

518 23rd ST. N.W., SA-1, Columbia Plaza

Washington, D.C. 20520

TEL: (202) 647-5002 or 1-800-688-9889, FAX: (202) 663-3636

The Department of State Documents Authentication Office charges a fee of $7.00.

Step 5: Obtain Embassy/Consulate Authentication of Foreign Government

Once the documents have been authenticated by the U.S. Department of State, bring the documents to the foreign embassy in the United States of the country requesting the documents, where they will do the final authentication.

Contact information for the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. can be found at: http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

Step 6: Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legalization Division

Once the document is in Thailand, submit the document to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legalization Division to make the document legal for use in Thailand. Once the put their stamp and seal on the document it can now be used in Thailand officially. The phone number for the Legalization Division is (+66) 2-981-7171.

"I don't think you are going to find this to as easy as you think."

Getting a copy of your passport certified at the US embassy is pretty easy. You complete a from, pay 1200THB, and then swear that the document is true. An embassy official will then stamp and sign the copy as certified.

Getting a copy of your passport certified at the US embassy is pretty easy. You complete a from, pay 1200THB, and then swear that the document is true. An embassy official will then stamp and sign the copy as certified.

Are you combining notarizing a signature and certifying a copy? When I had a copy certified as a true copy of an original, I gave the copies to the consulate, they then compared the copies and the documents and did the certification while I waited outside. I made no input as to the validity of the orginal. The consulate just certified the copy was an exact copy of the original, took my money, and I left with "no" conversation.

Now, when I renewed my retirement visa and needed the income statement notarized by the consulate, yes, I swore the info was correct.

I have never, ever, heard of anyone being required to have a passport translated into Thai. It will be interesting to follow this posting and see what subsequently happens.

That is not certifying the document, that is notarizing your signature. Fortunately, Thai government agencies don't seem to know the difference in most cases, specifically the income statement for the retirement visa.

TH

That is not certifying the document, that is notarizing your signature. Fortunately, Thai government agencies don't seem to know the difference in most cases, specifically the income statement for the retirement visa.

TH

You seem to be speaking from non-experience. I was able to get a certified copy of my passport in 5 minutes, paid some money, and that was that. It's not difficult and you shouldn't be trying to convince others that it is if you've never done it yourself.

Edited by surface

It is from experience and technically you have a document where you state it is true copy and your signature has been notarized. That is not certification in the strictest sense, though I guess you could call it self-certification.

TH

From the National Notary Association here is what a notary does:

Because people have documents notarized to deter fraud, a Notary positively identifies each signer, and then makes sure the signer has entered into the agreement knowingly and willingly. To confirm that a document and its signature are authentic, the Notary affixes his or her signature and official seal to it.

It is from experience and technically you have a document where you state it is true copy and your signature has been notarized. That is not certification in the strictest sense, though I guess you could call it self-certification.

TH

From the National Notary Association here is what a notary does:

Because people have documents notarized to deter fraud, a Notary positively identifies each signer, and then makes sure the signer has entered into the agreement knowingly and willingly. To confirm that a document and its signature are authentic, the Notary affixes his or her signature and official seal to it.

I agree there is a difference, but, in my case I took my passport to a U.S. Embassy, the staff made 2 copies as requested, and stamped them as certified copies. It was not the long, drawn out procedure you posted above.

Edited by beechguy

It is from experience

At the US embassy? Your experience was vastly different from the rest of us, u poor fella. :o

I have to agree. It sounds as if, Thaihome, you took in the copy but not the original. Therefore, all the consulate/embassy could do is say "Thaihome swore" it was real. They could not compare the copy with the original and make the statement from "personal" observation.