Telephone land lines in the village

Blackandwhite

I have a house in a village in Buriram about 2 hours from Buriram main town area. I want a land line as I would like to use my laptop computer for internet accesss when i am there. I could do with some info.

Do they have them in such remote areas.

Cost for set up

Cost of calls

ISP,s

Cheers

I live within the Surin boundary so it was not too difficult to get a land line. A friend is building 20 km from Surin and is having difficulty obtaining a land line because: a) they don't have any numbers available; and :o it will cost Bht 70,000 when/if they ever have. He is building about 2 km from the nearest installed line. An alternative offered to him was to use a satellite disc to communicate with the central post office disc, but he hasn't researched that fully yet. I'll keep you posted.

Had similar 'dream' to have 'land line' fitted at my house in the sticks 30 km outside Khon Kaen.  Approached TOT in Kosum Pisai in December 2002 and filled in application and was told to wait for number, I have heard nothing since.  The telephone lines actually run over my garden so I don't think there is a problem with connection, just not enough numbers to give out.

I have a laptop computer and have read that with certain contracts with DTAC (and the right mobile phone) it is possible to download from the internet, possibly only of use for e mail, but worthwhile if like me you have to do a 60 km round trip to check your e mail. ???

Forget getting a landline - even big tea money won't help you!

Best option is to get a DTAC telephone - they have an offer of just 999 baht per month unlimited gprs - friend uses it just along the road from me and is happy - he leaves it on Kazza all night and gets about 15 or 16 songs while sleeping! - about 50 MB's worth.

Alternatively install IPStar satellite for a faster internet connection. - It starts at only 3500 Baht per month and

You can use www.net2phone to call UK and Europe for only 4 us cents a minute with that.

If you struggle to get a signal with a mobile - a long bamboo pole is freely available and you will be ablt to purchase an ariel and cable for about 2000 Baht which will ensure a strong signal

cheers

a fellow farang in our village waited 5 months for a land line and then on talking to a local policeman discovered he had 5 lines so ended up agreeing to buy one of him at an inflated price.they went to the exchange to transfer the number to him and low and behold they suddenly came up with a spare number from nowhere.they only have so many numbers so have to wait till people get cut off which can take a while cos even if they miss their payment they cant use the phone to ring out but can pay a certain small amount to keep the number each month.

Hello mr pain

i went to TT&T in Buriram but they only serviced the town

havent ben to TOT yet, they have 3 different offices in town   i myself live in bandan 15 km north of buriram i can trow rocks from my house on the lines but it doesnt help

you can always go to the Bamboo bar in town and speak to the farangs there for help and possible solutions.

cheers

p.s did you get your aircons?