Best Selection Of Content On 'newsgroups'

jaideeguy

I used to use 'limewire' for movie and tv downloads, but never liked the idea of filesharing. For the last two or more years, I've been on this [pay by the gigabyte] newsgroup called 'easynews' and have gotten recent movies, recent tv episodes and pay by cc $15/mo/30gigs. It has served me well with tv episodes being available only an hour after airing in the US, but limited and lately the posting time has been slow, sometimes days or no poat at all.

Just wondering what other non invasive newsgroups there are out there and other's experiences with them.......

I use Giganews, 240 day retention, always fast download (Have 2Mb Cyber Gold line and get constant downloads at 1.7Mb) a little expensive but when paired with NBPro get every thing I need with minimum fuss.

Chris

lor....i checked out the 'giganews' website they do offer longer retention, faster speeds, multiple backbones, lower prices etc. Thanks for the tip.

But maybe my OP should have been...do all 'newsgroups' offer the same content?? Do they all have the same content offerings of movies and tv series and up to date news shows??

In other words, do they all offer 'the Daily Show', David Letterman, and the same movies??

Or is price and retention time the only difference between them??

I have used a number of different news hosting services in the past, the two I have found to be the best are:

www.giganews.com

www.newshosting.com

Now when I was in the UK I prefered Giganews, as they were able to full my 20 meg pipe fully. In Thailand I prefer newshosting, it's a little cheaper and perfectly capable of filling the limited bandwidth pipe here in Thailand.

I buy a 120 gig lump from Astraweb for the pricely sum of $25 a pop.

You can use it as and when you like and it doesn't expire like the (sometimes meagre for the money) monthly ammounts of some providers do. Good retention too. Far in excess of what they quote, unless its a REALLY heavily subscribed to group.

Penkoprod

megaupload.com / rapidshare.com

rapidshare has the biggest selection while megaupload has also lots plus unlimited downloads if you pick the premium plan. both make only really sense if you go for premium plans.

OP (and others) were talking about NNTP protocol, and NOT HTTP

Rapidshare and the like are all well and good, but aren't easy to find what you are looking for, due to the illegal nature of the content having to be hidden by the use of abreviations, numbers instead of letters etc, etc.

Penkoprod

I dont want to go into details and I have been using usenet before but these one click hosting sites along with some forums make it soooo easy to find whatever you want. Way easier than on usenet, fast and easy downloads, great community...

I would never go back to filesharing or newsgroups.

Advantage of usenet over the HTTP servers is u can pretty much max out your connection bandwidth by using multiple connections as the NNTP Service providers have more than enough bandwidth compared to the usually limiting depending how many downloaders http service.

Try www.newzbin.com combined with either newsleecher or grabit to make your NNTP service the best and easiest to find anything and download the fastest way.

as far as providers go i still think usenet server is the best value for money $14.95 a month unlimited download/ssl/globalsearch if u need it plus 10 connections 125 day retention.

Edited by dekka007

As I said these one click hoster make only sense if you buy their premium packages. Rapidshare has the best variety of files but lets you only download 2.6 gb a day. Megaupload is way better in this regard because its unlimited. I can't say they are slower. I always run at max download speed here with them which is around 500kb/s. p2p is most of the times slower and usenet about the same.

Edited by freitag1