A 2 Week Alternative To Thailand?

markf061

Hey guys, let me start by saying im a 20 year old lad whose heading to LOS in a month or so with a friend for the 3rd time in the last two years.

Right well basically were looking for a place we can head for a fortnight or so once our 30 day stamp expires with the plan being to return to LOS for a further month :o following to couple of weeks. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to Cambodia and the Philippines.

I would appreciate your opinion on which one i should choose, keeping in mind im a young guy looking for as much fun as possible without spending a fortune, pretty much a subsitute for Thailand!

Cheers

Nepal is a fun place.,

I was in Nepal a couple of months ago, had a great time, but everything (bars, resturants) in Nepal close at 10pm. Enforced by armed police (fun police) checking every establishment closes down at closing time.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Hey guys, let me start by saying im a 20 year old lad whose heading to LOS in a month or so with a friend for the 3rd time in the last two years.

Right well basically were looking for a place we can head for a fortnight or so once our 30 day stamp expires with the plan being to return to LOS for a further month :o following to couple of weeks. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to Cambodia and the Philippines.

I would appreciate your opinion on which one i should choose, keeping in mind im a young guy looking for as much fun as possible without spending a fortune, pretty much a subsitute for Thailand!

Cheers

I'd go with the Philippines. Some great places to go there. I'm off next month part work and part holiday, will spend a few days in Manila, then off to Angeles for a few days and then down to Illigan. Nice bit of variety, reasonable prices and no signiificant language barriers. Cambodia is also a good option as well, but you won't get a 30 day stamp on renetry coming back into Thailand if you use a land border.

Enjoy your trip.

Nepal is a fun place.,

I was in Nepal a couple of months ago, had a great time, but everything (bars, resturants) in Nepal close at 10pm. Enforced by armed police (fun police) checking every establishment closes down at closing time.

I really don't understand that philosophy. If you want to drink, get up at 5 am and start - by 10pm you should have had enough.

Nepal is a fun place.,

I really don't understand that philosophy. If you want to drink, get up at 5 am and start - by 10pm you should have had enough.

Nice idea in theory. But when there is trekking involved, doesn't really work in practice. :o

Kathmandu is a great city though. Thamel much better now than I last went there almost 10 years ago. Nice people too.

air asia have just released bkk - dps (bali) fares. you can get a return ticket for around 7000thb i think. bali is a great place, and as you are a 20yr old bloke, you will have an absolute ball here.

Completely agree with you donna... Especially now, with Air Asia it is cheaper to fly from Bangkok to Bali than from Bangkok to Samui!

Whatever you are looking for, you will find it on the Island of Gods, can it be Kuta backpacker or Seminyak poser there is everything for everyone.

Cannot wait Nyepi for my next visit... Oh, I miss Canggu...

Vietnam seems to be getting a good reputation these days. My 21yr old son (half Thai) and his 2 mates just spent 2 weeks there, then joined my wife and myself in Thailand for 10 days, and they liked Vietnam as much as Thailand. Seems to be cheaper too. Not sure if it has the soi Cowboy type nightlife if thats what your after though, but plenty of backpackers by the sound of it.

Kuta beach sounds cool. Any recommendation for budget hotel or guest house in Kuta? We are going there next month with two children. Is kuta beach is the right place for family with children? My husband would enjoy going to a bar with his mate and I would enjoy shoping. Maybe TV member would have other recommendation?

chan

Kuta beach sounds cool. Any recommendation for budget hotel or guest house in Kuta? We are going there next month with two children. Is kuta beach is the right place for family with children?

chan

definitely not.

for families, I would rather recommend quieter places such as Jimbaran or Sanur, or even Nusa Dua, but at Nusa Dua you will be with entirely with fellow holidaymakers and rarely see any local except the hotel staff.....

Kuta is nightlife/Party/drinking a.s.o. at its best, and the beach there is crap anyway (and the waters are dangerous for kids for sure!)

Any low budget carriers going from Bangkok to the Philippines?

CEBU PACIFIC flies to both Manila as well as Clark from BKK. the have a new promotion which started TODAY. Zero baht plus (hefty, in CEB's case!) surcharges. if u manage to book a ZERO Ticket, the fare will be about 2400 Baht one way. well, thats still not overly expensive for a 3-hour-flight on a brandnew Airbus (their entire Airbus fleet is less than 3 years old)

Thanks siam2007. I went to their website and found the 0 baht flights but couldn't get any further. Their website is pretty crap. Might try again later.

what kind of problem did you have ? actually their website is quite easy to navigate. the only problem is that you will need a mastercard with secure code or a Visacard that has the "approved by VISA" system, otherwise ur card will be declined. and try using IE7 when making the booking instead of Firefox

Thanks siam2007. I went to their website and found the 0 baht flights but couldn't get any further. Their website is pretty crap. Might try again later.

what kind of problem did you have ? actually their website is quite easy to navigate. the only problem is that you will need a mastercard with secure code or a Visacard that has the "approved by VISA" system, otherwise ur card will be declined. and try using IE7 when making the booking instead of Firefox

===================================

topic: angeles in the philippines is a nice play if you enjoy nightlife.

cebupacific: FORGET BOOKING WITH THEIR WEBSITE.

i tried many times my visacard with "verified by visa", it does not work. 6 times i got a refund. so, at least they paid back, but its all hassle. i have nothing against the airline, but they must make their payment functioning...

here some sites, complaining about it:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/inde...?showtopic=6616

http://wehatecebupacific.webs.com/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...hreadID=1641214

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cebu-Pacific-t220612.html