Train To Suvannaphum

Larry

Theoretically end this year, practically early - mid next year, SRT keep asking for (and getting) extensions of time.

It will go to Swampy Airport, station is under the terminal :o

Express Service

Suvarnabhumi Airport - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station))

Commuter Service

Suvarnabhumi Airport - Lad Krabang - Thub Chang - Hua Mark - Ramkhamhaeng - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)) - Ratchaprarop - Phayathai (interchange with BTS Sukhumvit Line (Phayathai Station))

Edited by Crossy

Theoretically end this year, practically early - mid next year, SRT keep asking for (and getting) extensions of time.

Express Service

Suvarnabhumi Airport - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station))

Commuter Service

Suvarnabhumi Airport - Lad Krabang - Thub Chang - Hua Mark - Ramkhamhaeng - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)) - Ratchaprarop - Phayathai (interchange with BTS Sukhumvit Line (Phayathai Station))

A good responsible reply

Why can't all thaivisa replies be helpful and informative. why do so many posters have to flame, be rude and seem always to misunderstand the most basic of poinys being raised in discussion. "If I don't agree. If I don't really understand - then I will flame" seems a common mantra here.

Express Service

Commuter Service

A good responsible reply

Why can't all thaivisa replies be helpful and informative. why do so many posters have to flame, be rude and seem always to misunderstand the most basic of poinys being raised in discussion. "If I don't agree. If I don't really understand - then I will flame" seems a common mantra here.

You need to differentiate between the general forum and specific topics. The general forum is a free for all.

Anyways, regarding this topic - it appears they have gone the cheap route for powering the trains via overhead cables unlike say the BTS.

Will this result in more breakdowns? Oops - missed my flight. Certainly will be higher maintenence.

Anyways, regarding this topic - it appears they have gone the cheap route for powering the trains via overhead cables unlike say the BTS.

Will this result in more breakdowns? Oops - missed my flight. Certainly will be higher maintenence.

No problem, the line uses 25kV AC overhead as it is a high speed (160kph) railway. 3rd rail 750V DC is great for low speed stop-start metros but over about 100kph can become problematic due to the high-current sliding contact. Just look at TGV, ICE, Eurostar, Shinkansen etc., all use overhead AC current collection and are very reliable :o

No problem, the line uses 25kV AC overhead as it is a high speed (160kph) railway. 3rd rail 750V DC is great for low speed stop-start metros but over about 100kph can become problematic due to the high-current sliding contact. Just look at TGV, ICE, Eurostar, Shinkansen etc., all use overhead AC current collection and are very reliable :o

so the new train will compare favourably to those you mention in terms of quality, ongoing maintenence? let's see.

anyways, was talking to a GM of a hotel last night near the makasan station and he reassures me that there will be seperate direct trains (express) to / from the airport in 15 mins!!! and others that do the milk-run. Good to know.

so the new train will compare favourably to those you mention in terms of quality, ongoing maintenence? let's see.

anyways, was talking to a GM of a hotel last night near the makasan station and he reassures me that there will be seperate direct trains (express) to / from the airport in 15 mins!!! and others that do the milk-run. Good to know.

Initial quality should not be an issue, being supplied by Siemens (although there will always be teething troubles). Ongoing maintenance we will most definately see but I believe Siemens will be providing for at least 3 years. :o

First train moved on the ARL on January 18th :D

For once, I would be much more optimistic ! :o

On my way to Suva monday afternoon... I saw the train (3 coaches, white color with some dark blue) running on the line.

Edited by cclub75

On my way to Suva monday afternoon... I saw the train (3 coaches, white color with some dark blue) running on the line.

Yup, one train has run all the way from Makkasan to Swampy and back under manual control. Wow!

Expect at least 6 months of trial running before we see any form of (safe) live service, few of the technical systems are in place at this time.

They may be aiming for a soft opening on the King's birthday.

Edited by Crossy

There's announcement that the official opening date is August 12, 2009 = "The MOTHER Day"

Siemens had started their test run on 19th this month

Here's the urls with pictures

- I cannot post url -

try google arl rotfaithai(dot)com or in the forum of 2bangkok.com

in the test run, the train has made a new record for the the fastest train running in Thailand at 160 km/h

• 3 weeks later...
Interchange with MRT! How much more convenient do you need?

The expres trains are meant to run NONstop to makkasan. and Makkasan (chosen because there was enough land owned by the SRT) is out of use for most-the combo of train+taxi (do you really think there will be no taxi'problems from there=just the same as at any trainstation)-will take more time and cost more as a taximeter right away. Only the stoping trains-rumourd to styart later-as most underway stations wont be finished-serve both MRT and BTS. The MRT is of hardly nay use for most nornal tourist destinationsunless you fancu another change to the BTS at Asoke=going up to street-going up again-to skytrain

The expres trains are meant to run NONstop to makkasan. and Makkasan (chosen because there was enough land owned by the SRT) is out of use for most-the combo of train+taxi (do you really think there will be no taxi'problems from there=just the same as at any trainstation)-will take more time and cost more as a taximeter right away. Only the stoping trains-rumourd to styart later-as most underway stations wont be finished-serve both MRT and BTS. The MRT is of hardly nay use for most nornal tourist destinationsunless you fancu another change to the BTS at Asoke=going up to street-going up again-to skytrain

At Makkasan you interchange with MRT at Phetchaburi Station. Of course the train won't take you directly from the airport to your hotel but what airport train in the world does that? You don't have to go on to any street to change from MRT Sukhumvit to BTS Asok.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I see the 'City' service getting more use FROM the airport, much more convenient transfer to BTS at Phaya tai (not the 500m walk to the MRT from Makkasan).

Going TO the airport the biggest plus is being able to dump your bags early at the City Air Terminal before going for a last minute shop or something :o

Except that it terminates in a spot that's not very convenient to anywhere so we'll probably still need a ride to the hotel if we have luggage...

With luggage, the MRT is not very convenient. Dragging luggage up Sukhumwit isn't very convenient either. Hopefully there will be plenty of taxis willing to drive the short distance from Makkasan.

For me, I think a taxi from the airport will remain the better option.

• 2 weeks later...
Except that it terminates in a spot that's not very convenient to anywhere so we'll probably still need a ride to the hotel if we have luggage...

for one, how do you plan to get your luggage on and off the mrt - besides carry on that is, and with the security checks at each entrance, i look forward to standing behind you while they search through your suitcase full of underwear to find the metal zipper on your bluejeans that set off the metal detectors. enjoy :o