Swedish Couple Sentenced To 15 Month In Jail.

Hawkup2000

I have seen travelers do this over and over again and everyone in the neighborhood knew it, but, no, I don't have any evidence that these particular thieves did it more than once, but there is a very good chance that they did.

However, the point is that they shouldn't have done it at all and probably deserve what they got for stealing someone else's living. :o

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, they also should be horsewhipped for good measure.

What a bunch of tools.

You assume they are guilty

Do you actually live in Thailand? Do you integrate with Thais? Can you discuss things with Thais in their own language? Your response indicates not

You are obviously not very good at spotting humour. Anyway, what difference does it make if he lives in Thailand, integrates with Thais or can discuss things with Thais? Two people have been very stupid and have received somewhat disproportionate sentences indicating the imbalance of what goes down as the judicial system in Thailand.

The comment was aimed as much at the courts as at the offenders who were a pair of tools

Do you in your "life" in Thailand fully integrated with Thais discussing major events like this have any opinion yourself?

You response indicates a lack of life. I suggest you go get one, your local Walmart should be able to help.

Absolutely Phil.

And for the benefit of southerndown and i hope Toady doesn't mind MY answering for him but yes, Toady does live and work in Thailand :o

he may live and work in thailand, i was merely asking because his point was naive.

but wherever le lives and works he is still naive and obviously does not like any one having an opinion different from him. as i said, flaming gives away the fact that he has lost his argument

i've corrected your english for you too, since this seems to be pantomime season and you like wind-ups

Leave ME English alone. I did not ask you to correct it and i do not wish you to correct it. If i wish to speed type and post in haste, that is my prerogative and not yours to question or to correct.

I'm only winding you up because of the naive way you are approaching this thread. What was it that was said in an earlier post "get a life"

What about Madoff's sentence and the sentence to be given to the owners of the Bangkok nightclub!! Let's get this in perpective.

I agree with you on that fully.

What a bunch of tools.

You sound like a miserable men mr.Toad

Don't you start as well.

Why shouldn't he start as well, Moonraker. It's a free country.

What you should have said was why does he write men instead of man; that would really have got them going

I don't think he's miserable but just not too bright about the real facts of life in thailand

Kevin Hunt started a post about free water which he managed to get to several pages. This is more serious but you must let some of the tv posters have their fun while the seriousn posters can make their points.

For example, i commented that giving away their right of appeal only suggested how the lower courts were afraid of an appeal to a high court. it got fewer replies than anything about grammar

I don't think he's miserable but just not too bright about the real facts of life in thailand

Futher unsubstantiated assumptions. :o

You disagree with me, I disagree with you. I agree you make some valid points, but you have seem to taken it upon yourself to be the resident TV "living in Thailand expert" with your veiled digs.

Before we make judgments, how about finding out the circumstances that led up to these convictions.

Firstly, these people are 21 and 24 years old. So what are they doing in Thailand? And up to what kind of activities here?

Is this their first offence, or frequent trouble makers/criminal offenders?

Once these facts come to light, than it is possible to decide whether or not their sentances are justified or not.

What a bunch of tools.

You assume they are guilty

Do you actually live in Thailand? Do you integrate with Thais? Can you discuss things with Thais in their own language? Your response indicates not

You are obviously not very good at spotting humour. Anyway, what difference does it make if he lives in Thailand, integrates with Thais or can discuss things with Thais? Two people have been very stupid and have received somewhat disproportionate sentences indicating the imbalance of what goes down as the judicial system in Thailand.

The comment was aimed as much at the courts as at the offenders who were a pair of tools

Do you in your "life" in Thailand fully integrated with Thais discussing major events like this have any opinion yourself?

You response indicates a lack of life. I suggest you go get one, your local Walmart should be able to help.

Absolutely Phil.

And for the benefit of southerndown and i hope Toady doesn't mind MY answering for him but yes, Toady does live and work in Thailand :o

he may live and work in thailand, i was merely asking because his point was naive.

but wherever le lives and works he is still naive and obviously does not like any one having an opinion different from him. as i said, flaming gives away the fact that he has lost his argument

i've corrected your english for you too, since this seems to be pantomime season and you like wind-ups

Leave ME English alone. I did not ask you to correct it and i do not wish you to correct it. If i wish to speed type and post in haste, that is my prerogative and not yours to question or to correct.

I'm only winding you up because of the naive way you are approaching this thread. What was it that was said in an earlier post "get a life"

What about Madoff's sentence and the sentence to be given to the owners of the Bangkok nightclub!! Let's get this in perpective.

I agree with you on that fully.

If you agree about the millions stolen by Madoff and the lives lost in the nightclub, why don't you post more serious responses. 2 shirts v several lives!!

What a bunch of tools.

You sound like a miserable men mr.Toad

Don't you start as well.

Why shouldn't he start as well, Moonraker. It's a free country.

What you should have said was why does he write men instead of man; that would really have got them going

Kevin Hunt started a post about free water which he managed to get to several pages. This is more serious but you must let some of the tv posters have their fun while the seriousn posters can make their points.

For example, i commented that giving away their right of appeal only suggested how the lower courts were afraid of an appeal to a high court. it got fewer replies than anything about grammar

For goodness sake.

I was referring to the blatant fact that TJAN missed the humour aspect of Mr. Toads post, as you also did. And you have also missed the fact that there is also an element of humour in my reply, however subtle.

I'd rather not pick somebody up on a typo because what is the point? It is all to easy to hit the "e" instead of the "a" and the only person who seems bothered about spelling or grammar is yourself. How ironic that one could pick through your posts and find several errors.'

Surprisingly harsh sentence the TV Court have handed down . Especially considering it seems most people who have posted, either live in or visit Thailand frequently and should then know a bit about how law abiding in general their host is.

To the Canadian monkey and mr toast: its only to hope that you both get psychological help.

If you agree about the millions stolen by Madoff and the lives lost in the nightclub, why don't you post more serious responses. 2 shirts v several lives!!

If you don't get my initial point, then I'm sorry. I really can't help you.

I think my views on Santika are pretty well documented.

Ulysses G.>> You think they stole 2 t-shirts to finance their, pre-paid, trip? :D

No, I think that they stole stuff pretty much every day to cut down on costs or trade or re-sell, and I have seen travelers doing this regularly in Chiang Mai and often the shopkeepers can not get the police to get involved until they get a bunch of complaints about the same person. Not many shoplifters get caught the first time that they do it. :o

So what about stolen every single day money from the farang whit the blackmail of call the police?

what about Rent motorbike and most of them dont give back the deposit and if you complain you find 3 or 4 thai whit the knife around you.....

every single night i see farang whit blood in their body, from many thai whit knife or other things and police dont care.

If is right 15 month for that they must to send in jail for all life the 60% of pattaya people.

Dont forget that the 90% of small shop that sell on the road and some in the mall are illegal, if they apply the law so strictly for the farang why they dont apply also for Thai?

Go mike shopping mall, go tukcom 3 floor, go in all thailand and most shop sell something illegal, dont pay tax, no permit for sell, sell illegal copy of everithings.

So ok 15 month of jail to them is right BUT how much for all this illegal Thai sellers????

ciao

Funny how things go ... 2 swedish kids snatch a couple of t-shirt (and that is most probably the end of the world coming up !...) and TV's people are now at each other throats ...

Would be interesting to know more about those t-shirts ... what made them so appealing to steal ?!

Funny how things go ... 2 swedish kids snatch a couple of t-shirt (and that is most probably the end of the world coming up !...) and TV's people are now at each other throats ...

Would be interesting to know more about those t-shirts ... what made them so appealing to steal ?!

What the Civil War general "thinks" doesn't really matter. You can't punish them for the crimes of others just because you "think" they are like all the others. Clearly, the punishment does not fit the crime in the least and all the other BS you're spouting is nonsense and nothing to do with the real case. Completely useless sentence.

The sentence is not that harsh considering it was the policy of the British to deport any Irish man they caught stealing even a loaf of bread to Australia.

Thankfully my great grandmother was a thief or I would not have the life I have now.

UG, I will be over later to browse your selection of LP travel books. I have a clean slate in your place so hopefully I will have it away with a decent copy of your China on a shoestring :o

PS I am not the guy with a small backpack looking sheepish.

Swedes do not steal. I would argue that your average Swede (Swedish-born) has a pretty high sense of morality and are law-abiding people (yes, I made a generalization by saying "your average"... but I still stand by it). For a couple of people to steal a couple of T-Shirts is ridiculous (25 Kronor?!?), even for a punk in Stockholm. So if they did steal them, Sweden is shamed. On the other hand, the punishment is indeed a bit harsh it seems, and does not seem to be following the general "punishment fit the crime" theme. They are javle farked!

Moral: Do not steal. Simple, really. (If they are innocent, I guess the moral is: Carry a couple of thousand baht around in case something like this happens...TIT).

If they gave sentences like this in the Uk instead of community service then there would be no shoplifting,Also it does not matter whether you steal one item or 50 items it is THEFT and they deserve what they got,Well done Thailand...

I am not defending the actions of these two people in any way, I do happen to believe that the law (whether right or wrong) should be respected and adhered to, however there does seem to be an imbalance in this case.

Stealing 2 tee shirts = 15 months

Killing someone = 5 years

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Swede-Wanted...5&start=125

Or is it just me?

FF

I am not defending the actions of these two people in any way, I do happen to believe that the law (whether right or wrong) should be respected and adhered to, however there does seem to be an imbalance in this case.

Stealing 2 tee shirts = 15 months

Killing someone = 5 years

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Swede-Wanted...5&start=125

Or is it just me?

FF

I agree, although it looks like he may end up getting the death penalty, which he deserves if the appeal goes through. I'm a firm beleiver in tough sentencing, but it does need to be consistent, which is a big problem here in Thailand for a number of reasons, although even in the UK there have been some pretty strange sentencing decisions.

What I find most surprising in this thread is the number of people

protesting that the sentence is too harsh. Those that say the

sentence should only be one month are forgetting

they are in Southeast Asia - This is Thailand

and I doubt very much if you are going to find " sentencing guidelines " here. :o

And doesnt anybody think there is even the remote chance

that the court was trying to set an example here not just for

tourists but also for local people in these hard economic times.

Tough sentences are meant to act to deter other potential shoplifters......

It's not a question of it only being 2 t shirts so the sentence

should only be light. And what would they have got if they did the same

in someone like the Middle East -Iran or Saudi Arabia-

maybe they would have gone back to Sweden missing something l

............maybe even a hand

I agree, although it looks like he may end up getting the death penalty, which he deserves if the appeal goes through. I'm a firm beleiver in tough sentencing, but it does need to be consistent, which is a big problem here in Thailand for a number of reasons, although even in the UK there have been some pretty strange sentencing decisions.

Yes, i also read about the appeal, a lot of the time in the UK, sentences are affected by many things, what mood the judge is in, political pressures, prison population etc etc.

FF