Swedish Couple Sentenced To 15 Month In Jail.

Hawkup2000

Some of the posters seem to have been here for too long and gone a bit baa.

The 'justice' system has made an example here, so some say, good, they say. I find their logic difficult to comprehend because we all know that the Thai justice system is non-exixtent. The word being justice.

Drive your Benz into a crowd of people.

Chop of a girl's arm (policeman, not girl).

Kill.

Rape.

All of these things are fine, if you're in a position to 'work' the 'justice' system.

People who are either not in a position to 'work' the 'justice' system, or foolishly believe it's a properly functioning justice system and trust it get farked, as per this example.

& some posters still say; good, it'll teach them a lesson. What lesson? That Thailand has a rancid criminal 'justice' system. Yes, they will learn that lesson.

Society gains no benefit from this case, but a rancid system festers on...

The lack of compassion, indeed the inane salivating distain towards two young foolish people, shown on this thread by some members is very unpleasant to read.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an example my girlfriends brother was going to be charged with rape of an underage girl up in Phayao a couple of years back. Now he didn't rape the girl but he did have sex with a girl who was underage and when the family of the girl found out they went to the police who then came to him and told him that if he didn't come up with 40K baht by the end of the month he was looking at 10 years gaol. The money was subsequently paid and the matter was dropped.

If the girl is underage, then under the law she is not allowed to give consent, hence it would be statutory rape. I would say the system worked very much in his favour in this instance.

I wonder how the money was divided? 20,000 for the police and 20,000 for the parents? You could very well argue that the parents have just sold their daughters virginity, assuming she was. Depending on the ages involved it sounds like he got off lightly. I'd be taking the pruning shears to him if it was my daughter.

The lack of compassion, indeed the inane salivating distain towards two young foolish people, shown on this thread by some members is very unpleasant to read.

They were not giving out food to the poor. They were STEALING - and on a regular basis - from people that have a lot less than they do. I am not saying I do not feel sorry for them. I am saying that they do deserve to be punished.

Maybe you have gone a bit baa, amigo. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The 'justice' system has made an example here, so some say, good, they say. I find their logic difficult to comprehend because we all know that the Thai justice system is non-exixtent. The word being justice.

Kill.

Rape.

All of these things are fine, if you're in a position to 'work' the 'justice' system.

People who are either not in a position to 'work' the 'justice' system, or foolishly believe it's a properly functioning justice system and trust it get farked, as per this example.

& some posters still say; good, it'll teach them a lesson. What lesson? That Thailand has a rancid criminal 'justice' system. Yes, they will learn that lesson.

Good news amigos!Cops who had choped off karoke-hostess's arm in Saraburi - had been punished already.Surprise?It had been reported in Thai papers.

this is a key question point...and illustrates a lot

there should be no difference, male/female/black/white/rich/poor

but there is- here it is who you know and how much money you have that count's

justice like this become counter justice

Whilst i agree with what you are saying, it is also wise to remember that we (in the most part) are guests in this country, and as such must abide by their laws etc, I am well aware that you would like to see changes to the current system, to a system that encourages rehabilitation rather than sometime harsh (sometimes OTT) sentences, this will take a long time to achieve, as i feel it would mean an almost total re-structuring of the current system. Also what gives any "Guest" in any country the right to interfere with said countries judicial system? We are often quick to judge what we consider to be archaic 3rd world legal systems, when in reality, our own countries systems fare little better.

I believe that changes will come about, albeit painfully slowly, but until then..... "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

FF

sir

' when in rome..."

this does not really stand up,

that like the old totally wrong- if it ain't broke, do not fix it' if that were true no progress would ever be made

when in middle east and saw lady stoned ( not on dope) should we say nothing, maybe join in?

also, and this is i know will upset some people, Thailand is basically a western colony,

the west drew up most of its boarders, told it rulers how and what to do, when to do it( like the current legal system) and punished it when it was naughty( the brits bombing of Bangkok was to remind them to do what they are told is a classic example of this- why is this kept secret?, because it illustrates the power the west has over this place, most locals do not even know this- and a hel_l of alot more)

I have tried to give more examples, but have been warned not to, this is telling in itself

the west should do more, I feel it is obligated to

I do not see this argument of nation's as we are all human. When I suddenly fly over an airspace do I change, no we are all human, we are all connected, I will not go too deeply into this and my belief's.. and I cannot respect any legal system from any where which has detracted from it purpose

to me I do not see as interfere when with true heart I/we try to help,

I feel it is my obligation, maybe the judge/cop/ etc dose's because it upset's their aim

and aim so often here is not justice and fair treatment, but that old evil- money

in so many ways the real progress here in human right's has been made by western pressure

I/we have never been told we are infereing from people we visit,amnesty, or embassy staff, etc,

forget this notion of places and guest's... God... or whoever you believe in( or not) looks down and He asks all of us to help each other, His children...as best we can..

and there is no greater reward on this earth than to help a brother or sister from where-ever in their time of need

regardless of what stamp we may have in our passport!

this is why we simply cannot just take things at face value

This thread's devotees of the "cut their hands off and deport the buggers"solution would have difficulty in taking things in any other manner. They are not, dare I possibly say, the most intellectual of folk but then, in what is essentially a blue collar forum, why would anyone expect anything more?

i agree

a forum should respect other people's views but a lot of flaming is allowed here sometimes, and it clouds the rather un-intellectual arguments that are sometimes raised.

keeping on topic is difficult for some, and there is always the temptation to respond to flaming and nonsense by being sarcastic oneself. a reasoned argument would be better but sometimes it is a lost cause as you rightly suggest.

i don't think it's blue collar exactly more the type of poster that sometimes lurks here. but some posts are well thought out even if i don't agree with them. those are useful additions to the forum debate.

Whilst i agree with what you are saying, it is also wise to remember that we (in the most part) are guests in this country, and as such must abide by their laws etc, I am well aware that you would like to see changes to the current system, to a system that encourages rehabilitation rather than sometime harsh (sometimes OTT) sentences, this will take a long time to achieve, as i feel it would mean an almost total re-structuring of the current system. Also what gives any "Guest" in any country the right to interfere with said countries judicial system? We are often quick to judge what we consider to be archaic 3rd world legal systems, when in reality, our own countries systems fare little better.

I believe that changes will come about, albeit painfully slowly, but until then..... "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

FF

sir

' when in rome..."

Presumably you'd be happy to have your country's laws altered by a Thai/Mongolian/Italian/Chilean tourist who happened to be visiting your country who felt that his/er countries laws ought to apply to yours?

Kill.

Rape.

Best post in this entire thread.

Too many posters cannot see the wood for the trees.

Best post in this entire thread.

Some of the inane babblings of other posters is a serious embarrassment.

Edited by Tolley

Just as an example my girlfriends brother was going to be charged with rape of an underage girl up in Phayao a couple of years back. Now he didn't rape the girl but he did have sex with a girl who was underage and when the family of the girl found out they went to the police who then came to him and told him that if he didn't come up with 40K baht by the end of the month he was looking at 10 years gaol. The money was subsequently paid and the matter was dropped.

If the girl is underage, then under the law she is not allowed to give consent, hence it would be statutory rape. I would say the system worked very much in his favour in this instance.

I wonder how the money was divided? 20,000 for the police and 20,000 for the parents? You could very well argue that the parents have just sold their daughters virginity, assuming she was. Depending on the ages involved it sounds like he got off lightly. I'd be taking the pruning shears to him if it was my daughter.

I think she was 14 or 15 and he is in his early twenties.

She was completely willing.

Many girls lose their virginity before the legal age.

Anyway the point of the example was to illustrate how the system works in Thailand with the police often acting as brokers.

Kill.

Rape.

good honest post

agree your point about some posters. there are none so blind as those who cannot see

i don't see why people are perpetuating this myth about how fair the justice system is. posters are commenting as if we live in the west

we need to keep posting to get the point across

FF

sir

' when in rome..."

Presumably you'd be happy to have your country's laws altered by a Thai/Mongolian/Italian/Chilean tourist who happened to be visiting your country who felt that his/er countries laws ought to apply to yours?

If I lived in a country that had barbaric laws that changed depending on the status of the accused or the mood of the policeman / court / government, I'd certainly welcome input from those with experience of a more civilised legal system. The whole "when in Rome" argument is also a little arrogant, as it assumes that all the citizens of that country are entirely happy with the way things are done there. Hmm, Burma has had a ruthless, brutal regime for decades now, the people must be very happy with it or they'd have changed it by now.

Edited by ballpoint

I'd like to hear more from the 2 swedes and from anyone who witnessed the drama.

Thais, with few exceptions, will back-up fellow Thais in such scenarios. In other words, if you can't slip away from testifying, then you're essentially required to say what it is your fellow Thais (and authorities) expect you to say. When the 2 brits were murdered by a cop in a Thai neighborhood, after long and loud altercation, none of the many residents heard or saw anything - not on the record, anyway. Similar to the scene where the young Irishman got murdered in public, and his woman friend got shot in the chest.

I'd like to hear how the Swedes describe the incident - in a space that's not frothing over with angry threats, as it sounds their 'confession' was.

My 30-something daughter and her friend are coming to visit Thailand in a week, and much of their time will be on their own. I've told them to be careful of vendors in tourist areas. Don't let vendors get close enough for them to grab you.

Let me ask Thaivisaites: if a neophyte tourist couple are strolling in an outdoor tourist shopping area, and a vendor suddenly grabs the woman's wrist and yells "thief! you stole this shirt! I call police! You go jail long time!" What do you suggest the man to do? Regardless of what you suggest, you can bet he'll most likely take out his wallet and try to shut the vendor up with 1,000 baht bills.

If that was the similar scenario for the the Swedes, then he didn't do the pay-off game, and now he's branded by Thaivisaites as a stupid thief and will spend months in a filthy Thai prison.

At this point, none of us posters know whether one or both of them actually stole something.

Tough economic times for Thailand = more crime in Pattaya and Phuket = more desperate measures by unscrupulous vendors. Sound too incredible? Wait until something bad happens to you or someone you care about, then you'll be singing a different tune than; "horsewhip the thieving ignorant farang, throw 'em in jail 'til they rot!"

Let me ask Thaivisaites: if a neophyte tourist couple are strolling in an outdoor tourist shopping area, and a vendor suddenly grabs the woman's wrist and yells "thief! you stole this shirt! I call police! You go jail long time!" What do you suggest the man to do? Regardless of what you suggest, you can bet he'll most likely take out his wallet and try to shut the vendor up with 1,000 baht bills.

I've NEVER heard of this happening to anyone in Thailand - EVER. Stay off the Magic Mushrooms Old Chap. :o

I've NEVER heard of this happening to anyone in Thailand - EVER. Stay off the Magic Mushrooms Old Chap. :o

The oracle has spoken.

It may come as a shock to you but because you have never heard of something or seen something it doesn't necesssarily mean it didn't happen.

BTW I too doubt the story but it is possible that it is true.

Anything could be true, but the Swedish couple that the thread is about seem to be guilty and that is what really counts. :o

No what this thread is really about is the capricious nature of the Thai judicial system.

And no 'anything could be true' is not correct as certainly some things will never be true.

I knew a guy that shoplifted in BKK to survive, he got caught a few times, my friend of mine who knew him an had a little cash would get a phone call and would have to go down to the shop and pay for the item and pay the police something and that was that. Eventually he ended up in jail but even then he wasnt sentenced, just had to stay till he found someone to buy him a ticket out.

Anything could be true, but the Swedish couple that the thread is about seem to be guilty and that is what really counts. :o

No what this thread is really about is the capricious nature of the Thai judicial system.

And no 'anything could be true' is not correct as certainly some things will never be true.

(

brahmburgers @ 2009-01-17 10:09:45)

If merchants at the Night Bazaar are purposely accusing innocent tourists of shoplifting so that they will "throw" one thousand baht notes at them, then, believe me, ANYTHING could be true! :D:D:D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't see anything wrong with tough sentencing, the problem is how people are incarcerated. Now, I metioned horsewhipping in jest, some pages ago, which has got a number of the less well versed in humour going some what. I don't suggest that 'horsewhipping' is an effective punishment, but it may be seen as an effective detterent if we look at places, that use similar methods such as Singapore.

Personally, for too long, and I am sure that many people will agree with me, CJS's in certain countries have put far too much emphasis on the human rights of the offender, rather than victim. Whilst I certaintly beleive that people incarcerated should be treated fairly and humanely, with an effective rehabilitation programme, sentencing needs to strong and consistent.

There does indeed NEED to be - and I am making this clear for those that have tried to insult me - preventive policies which stop people drifting into lives of crime. So in effect being tough on the causes of crime. Istill can't quite fathom howvere, where these two Swedes, would fit into any preventative measures, it's a little different commiting a crime in your own home, but whilst on holiday? :D

Anyway, what also need to remeber, as foreigneers in another country, that we have to respect the laws and policies, however much we dislike them, or how little faith we have in the law enforcement agencies.

I have not seen any compelling evidence from posters here, that suggest that Farangs in Thailand are pestered and scammed, any more than ordinary Thais by the Thai Police.

There is little evidence, that Thai business owners use this tactic as a way to "scam" money out of tourists, although that is not to say that it has not happened.

In fact, I would imagine that the Police in tourist areas, generally try to keep things a low profile in such cases, where possible, that has been my experience of living here for nearly four years, and travelling here since 1991, but then I am a law abiding person. Yep, these two people have certainly been made an example of, but they should never have put themselves in the position that they got themselves into.

What is alo interesting, is that The Swedish Embassy, has not been involve at any point? Why would this be the case? I'd guess that anyone who was having a problem such as this, their Embassy would be the first place to contact.

I'd also like to know, if a certain poster advocates theft, and rejects law enforcement as a breach of their own human rights?

What the Thai justice system needs to do know, is apply consistency to all segments of society, which is something that I have said from the outset, but has been ignored in parrticular by two posters.

For those that took offence to my tounge in cheek, "horsewhip" " and a further "dam_n good thrashing" statements, then I feel sorry for your lack of sense of humour. :D

For those that really like some old fashioned views, then reading the following book may be suitable,

So, you're FED UP with the"Criminal Justice" system too, huh? Author: Kathy Renbarger (1994) :o Probably not the sort of read, that several posters would enjoy, and generally a little biased. For a better understanding and more balanced books, I am being kind today for the sensitive souls :D , Tough Justice: Sentencing and Penal Policies in the 1990sBy Ian Dunbar, Anthony Langdon, or Prison Governors: Managing Prisons in a Time of ChangeBy Shane Bryans

And yes, I have read them, for obvious reasons. :D Enjoy.

They were not giving out food to the poor. They were STEALING - and on a regular basis - from people that have a lot less than they do. I am not saying I do not feel sorry for them. I am saying that they do deserve to be punished.

Where did you get the info that they were stealing on a regular basis? I think you made that up, maybe you deserve to be punished for it?

Coming from neighboring Finland and having lived in Sweden I have to ask first does anyone now the first names of these people? I believe it is pretty significant.

Whether they are: Lars & Anna or Muhammed & Abdullah?

I read people writing here that Swedes don't do crimes like that. There are people with many different cultural backgrounds in Sweden, not just those blue eyed & blond hair caucasians.

Just for example in my own country Somalians are found guilty of different crimes far more often than Finns. (robbery 115,44 rape 34.5 more often than Finns etc.) And I try not be racist so I dont blame only the Somalians, but mainly our own government with ineffective immigrant programmes & weak punishments.

Ok, I believe that if they are named Lars & Anna this thing will be solved in the highest level of diplomacy and surely the Swedish embassy and even Karl (King of Sweden) might need to get involved to get the kids home. If they are called Muhammed & Abdullah Im not sure if Karl and average blue eyed & blonde haired Swede cares too much :o

But when Im reading the article it just does not sound right. First they were accused of stealing t-shirts worth of 40.000 baht. So lets say this is 600 shirts. How many of you can carry 600 shirts? Or even 300? So did they have pick-up truck? Story does not tell... Sounds more like the police & shop owner had a plan to get 40.000 baht extra money from these kids and they refused to pay it. Court realized how impossible it is for these kids carry 600 shirts so they came down to 2. These kids must have been so scared and stupid to confess and agree not to appeal to higher court.

For me it hard to believe they actually stole anything. Just because they where accused first for stealing t-shirts worth of 40.000 baht makes the whole stories very hard to believe.

Where did you get the info that they were stealing on a regular basis? I think you made that up, maybe you deserve to be punished for it?

http://www.ut.se/nyheter/ulricehamn/ulrice...jor(1085791).gm

The couple from Ulricehamn stole 250 T-shirts.

On Tuesday www.ut.se could report that a young couple form Ulricehamn was sentenced to 15 months in jail in Thailand. New information shows that their crime was not only about 2 stolen T/shirts, which first were reported.

Information for the Swedish foreign ministry shows that the couple admitted to have stolen 250 T-shirts during a burglary. They are also involved in an assault on English tourist. The last information hasn’t been confirmed yet.

It was the 2 December last year that the young couple, 24 and 21 years old, were arrested since they stolen the clothes from a shop in Patong Beach, Thailand

You don't steal 250 shirts at one time. Maybe you need to learn how to read. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

On Tuesday www.ut.se 250 T-shirts during a burglary.

hold on I cant follow anymore... so it was not shoplifting to t-shirts but BURGLARY and 250 shirts?

On Tuesday www.ut.se could report that a young couple form Ulricehamn was sentenced to 15 months in jail in Thailand. New information shows that their crime was not only about 2 stolen T/shirts, which first were reported.

Information for the Swedish foreign ministry shows that the couple admitted to have stolen 250 T-shirts during a burglary. They are also involved in an assault on English tourist. The last information hasn't been confirmed yet.

It was the 2 December last year that the young couple, 24 and 21 years old, were arrested since they stolen the clothes from a shop in Patong Beach, Thailand

Hey don´t shot the messenger. I only translate whats been reported in this case. "Uppgifter från svenska UD visar nu att paret erkänt att man stulit totalt 250 tröjor i samband med ett inbrott." Is translated as "Information from the Swedish foreign ministry now shows that the couple confessed to have stolen 250 T-shirts during a burglary."

Note: the couple confessed to stealing 250 T-shirts, but they were only convicted of stealing 2 shirts.

Edited by Hawkup2000

Information for the Swedish foreign ministry shows that the couple admitted to have stolen 250 T-shirts during a burglary. They are also involved in an assault on English tourist. The last information hasn't been confirmed yet.

Hey don´t shot the messenger. I only translate whats been reported in this case. "Uppgifter från svenska UD visar nu att paret erkänt att man stulit totalt 250 tröjor i samband med ett inbrott." Is translated as "Information from the Swedish foreign ministry now shows that the couple confessed to have stolen 250 T-shirts during a burglary."

Note: the couple confessed to stealing 250 T-shirts, but they were only convicted of stealing 2 shirts.

Thank you for the translation.