My Romantic "pusher" Moment

geriatrickid

In 3 years of lurking about Patong I never had the experience of someone trying to sell me illegal drugs, that is until last week. I appreciate the forum rules in respect to the topic, but I offer up the story as a caution to others. Ok, we all know you need your head examined to get mixed up with that sort of thing in Thailand, but the two odd episodes spooked me, because I have the eerie feeling that these weren't drug dealers.

I was cutting through the Patong Resort last week and came out the main entrance near Cristina's house of erotic rub. Walking towards Bangla, I hear the hoarse statement " Mari- ha- wanna, KokaKane". Looking up it's a moto taxi man. However, he didn't look like the usual drivers you see. He was older, had a moustache and a look on his face that just wasn't right. You just don't solicit people for drugs on a fairly busy street in Patong unless you are a narc. Did I really look like a druggie? I was in my typical cargos and t-shirt. Not a tat or piercing to be seen, and I would figure an elderly grungekid like me wouldn't attract such interest.

The next night, I'm waiting for a friend to meet me outside Jungceylon. I am wearing partial scrubs and had an id tag showing on one side. Pretty obvious that I am not in need of street drugs. Again, I am solicited by someone. The guy did not fit the profile of a drug dealer either at least not the ones I used to know in school. Again it was a male that looked to be in his early 30's and just too slick to be a dealer.

Alrighty then, what the heck was going on? I am fully aware there are drugs in Patong. But why was someone trying to entrap me? I have a good hunch these were policeman trying to get me to bite at the bait. Yes, I know, it's the standard M.O. for narc sting ops, but surely, there is no need to take advantage of some idiot that might be inebriated and prone to a bad decision.

Has this happened to anyone else or are they just targeting the "younger" crowd?

Some of you might be willing to say, good, let them get these drug user farangs anyway they can, but what if that person was your kid that was dumb enough to call the bluff and jokingly say, yea sure, bring it on, and then wham bam gets tackled and arrested?

Anyway, if it happens to you, do what I did, bite your lip and keep walking.

Edited by geriatrickid

As could be read in the local media, Thailand is in another crackdown phase on drugs and in the last week especially Phuket officials have shown proudly a number of catches to the media. Some of them seem to have been not the usual small fish, so maybe there is a system to these operations.

In 3 years of lurking about Patong I never had the experience of someone trying to sell me illegal drugs, that is until last week. I appreciate the forum rules in respect to the topic, but I offer up the story as a caution to others. Ok, we all know you need your head examined to get mixed up with that sort of thing in Thailand, but the two odd episodes spooked me, because I have the eerie feeling that these weren't drug dealers.

I was cutting through the Patong Resort last week and came out the main entrance near Cristina's house of erotic rub. Walking towards Bangla, I hear the hoarse statement " Mari- ha- wanna, KokaKane". Looking up it's a moto taxi man. However, he didn't look like the usual drivers you see. He was older, had a moustache and a look on his face that just wasn't right. You just don't solicit people for drugs on a fairly busy street in Patong unless you are a narc. Did I really look like a druggie? I was in my typical cargos and t-shirt. Not a tat or piercing to be seen, and I would figure an elderly grungekid like me wouldn't attract such interest.

The next night, I'm waiting for a friend to meet me outside Jungceylon. I am wearing partial scrubs and had an id tag showing on one side. Pretty obvious that I am not in need of street drugs. Again, I am solicited by someone. The guy did not fit the profile of a drug dealer either at least not the ones I used to know in school. Again it was a male that looked to be in his early 30's and just too slick to be a dealer.

Alrighty then, what the heck was going on? I am fully aware there are drugs in Patong. But why was someone trying to entrap me? I have a good hunch these were policeman trying to get me to bite at the bait. Yes, I know, it's the standard M.O. for narc sting ops, but surely, there is no need to take advantage of some idiot that might be inebriated and prone to a bad decision.

Has this happened to anyone else or are they just targeting the "younger" crowd?

Some of you might be willing to say, good, let them get these drug user farangs anyway they can, but what if that person was your kid that was dumb enough to call the bluff and jokingly say, yea sure, bring it on, and then wham bam gets tackled and arrested?

Anyway, if it happens to you, do what I did, bite your lip and keep walking.

Well being offered drugs by taxi drivers, motocy riders and bar girls is fairly common for the last couple of years.. Under tiger the girls are often suggestion coke.

I even had a crazy guy last year, looked like your average jetski rental actually shout at me as I rode past on nanai "weed coke" but just hollaring it at passing traffic is a bit raw. I mean not exactly the usual 'psst. you want xxx' is it ??

Well I'm sure you are aware that BIB works with pushers as such. Doesn't matter what state you are in, ignore them and move on. We all know the penalty for getting drugs here - stay away from it at all costs. (drunk/sober or in any other state)

I sure do.. A mate was in a bar in Patts when a threatening thai came over and pushed something in his hand.. My mate was drunk and feeling threatened and confused so trying not to offend and as he looked at his hand got pounced on from all directions by Patts's finest thin brown line.. Pure setup !!

but surely, there is no need to take advantage of some idiot that might be inebriated and prone to a bad decision.

If only that were true Phuket would close down!

Have been offered drugs many times in Phuket. Moto taxi / tuk tuk, jet ski boys, bar girls also under (very thin) cover police officers as seems to be the case with you.

Knew a moto guy who made good money selling fake weed to drunks late at night on patong beach road.

Set ups or bad drugs whatever don't get involved.

LivinLOS, your story (whilst interesting) juust does not ring true - to the point of sounding ridiculous. Just an observation - not trying to flame. If true, surely there must be more to the story?

Absolutely true..

The more to the story would be the obvious payments he had to make to sort it all out !!

As could be read in the local media, Thailand is in another crackdown phase on drugs and in the last week especially Phuket officials have shown proudly a number of catches to the media. Some of them seem to have been not the usual small fish, so maybe there is a system to these operations.

Colour me clueless, then. But surely, approaching someone wearing scrubs discretely eating KFC outside Jungceylon, is sort of pushing the envelope.

Well I'm sure you are aware that BIB works with pushers as such. Doesn't matter what state you are in, ignore them and move on. We all know the penalty for getting drugs here - stay away from it at all costs. (drunk/sober or in any other state)

Sure, is easy to say that, but I have a genuine concern if they are trying to entrap clueless people. As I said before, what if some kid says, yea, what you got? I don't know about you, but back in uni, we'd be sitting in some pub after class and losers would come in trying to peddle their crap and we'd have some fun with them, saying, yea, how strong? what kind of bud etc.? It's what we did to idiots that would bug us. So picture this, Willie Winkie from Brisbane, age 19 does what we did and next we read about him being busted as some evil aussie druggie all for doing what kids can do. Surely, the coppers can behave a bit more responsibly and not try and entrap people that would not normally be predisposed to such activities? Why make a good person bad just for a lapse in judgement?

Have been offered drugs many times in Phuket. Moto taxi / tuk tuk, jet ski boys, bar girls also under (very thin) cover police officers as seems to be the case with you.

Knew a moto guy who made good money selling fake weed to drunks late at night on patong beach road.

Set ups or bad drugs whatever don't get involved.

Fair enough. but it gets to my previous lament. Make the wrong response under the situation and you can really get jammed up.

In the past couple days, I've worked myself up to a slow boil. where the F do the coppers get off trying to entrap people? Yes, for sure, drugs in Thailand are a bad idea, and I am Mr. anti drugs but dam_n, something is morally screwed up when the authorities set out to target people. It's not like they don't know who I am or where I can be found.

Surely, the coppers can behave a bit more responsibly and not try and entrap people that would not normally be predisposed to such activities? Why make a good person bad just for a lapse in judgement?

The BIB got to make their quota, and make their record look good..... :o

Ooops .. forgot to say .... or make a chunk of money on the side ....

Edited by LivinginKata

It does seem odd that (if,indeed, it was the BIB trying to entrap) they would stoop to such depths, but it reminds me of another threaed where someone said that one of the Thai music copyright reps used the strategy of walking into a bar and subsequently asking the staff to play a record that he provided - so he could get them nabbed for breach of copyright. Again, difficult to know whether that thread's telling of the story was 100% accurate, but (if true) certainly plumbing the depths of unethical conduct. Perhaps those charged with various areas of law enforcement in Thailand do not receive any form of ethics training. (But then, on reflection, I'd be surprised if they do...)

Have been offered more times than I can count. Some looked dodgy, some maybe looked too clean. One guy even lit up in front of me, right on the footpath along the beach, and offered me a sample puff. Couldn't tell if they were in with the cops, but it would be a very profitable way for them to make money.

On the tourist boardwalk, it's not as if they're looking for repeat customers.

Rat one out for a big payday today, and then rat another one out tomorrow. Thousands of new white faces everyday.