เพื่อไทย

DavidHouston

In a Matichon article discussing Sunday's election, this sentence appears:

....การเลือกตั้งครั้งนี้พิสูจน์กระแส "ทักษิณ" อย่างแท้จริง เพราะสถานการณ์ "เพื่อไทย" เป็นรองทุกประตู 1.ไร้ "หัว" 2.ท่อน้ำเลี้ยงแห้ง และ 3.ตัวผู้สมัครยิ่งกว่า "นกแล" ตัวจริงที่วางไว้เป็นสมาชิกพรรคไม่ครบ 90 วัน

. . . This election really proves the "Thaksin" current because the "Phua Thai" situation ________________. 1. (The party) is without a leader; 2. the (financial) pipeline is dry; and, 3. _______________________ .

I have a number of questions:

1. What is the meaning in this context of "เป็นรองทุกประตู"?

2. What is the meaning of "นกแล" and is this a literal or metaphorical usage.

3. What is the political effect of the 90 day limitation on candidates running for office under the Phua Thai banner? Is this effect spelled out in item 3 of the above quote?

Thanks for your assistance.

1. What is the meaning in this context of "เป็นรองทุกประตู"?

It means "inferior to (other candidates) in every ways."

2. What is the meaning of "นกแล" and is this a literal or metaphorical usage.

From this page, you will see that they categorize the politicians into four groups.

และสี่ ลิ่วล้อ ยังแม้จะได้รับเลือกเป็นผู้แทนในพื้นที่ แต่ยังอยู่ในสภาพพึ่งพาตัวเองไม่ได้ ต้องอาศัยนายทุนเพื่อดูแลพื้นที่ ต้องอาศัยบารมีของเจ้าสำนักในการใช้อำนาจ ต้องเดินตามหลังขุนพลในการสร้างผลงาน ภาษาการเมืองเรียกคนกลุ่มนี้ว่า นกแล

So, นกแล is classified as the worst of the four. Worst in this case means a powerless politician in the party.

ตัวผู้สมัครยิ่งกว่า "นกแล" ตัวจริงที่วางไว้เป็นสมาชิกพรรคไม่ครบ 90 วัน means "the candidates they got for this election even worse than " นกแล" (the ones the party had planed on being the candidates but due to the law that the candidate has to be the member of the party for at least 90 days, these ones have been member less than 90 days, so, they are disqualified.)

Thank you so much, Khun Yoot. That reference to the Matichon article describing four types of people involved in politics was right on.

The particular piece describing "" is as follows:

"และสี่ ลิ่วล้อ ยังแม้จะได้รับเลือกเป็นผู้แทนในพื้นที่ แต่ยังอยู่ในสภาพพึ่งพาตัวเองไม่ได้ ต้องอาศัยนายทุนเพื่อดูแลพื้นที่ ต้องอาศัยบารมีของเจ้าสำนักในการใช้อำนาจ ต้องเดินตามหลังขุนพลในการสร้างผลงาน ภาษาการเมืองเรียกคนกลุ่มนี้ว่า นกแล"

My attempt at translation:

And, in the fourth group are the followers. Even thought they might be elected as local representatives, they are still not independent. They need to rely on financial backers who oversee these local jurisdictions; they need to rely on the prestige of those higher up in order to have any power at all; they follow their leaders in getting concrete results. In the language of politics these people are called "นกแล".

My question for those participating in this forum is, "What is a good English word for 'นกแล' "? I suspect that we will get multiple and varied suggestions based in large part on where the respondent is from. In the American version of English, these people might be called "ward heelers", "local bosses", "party hacks" or "political mafia". I bet that the Brits and Australians have any number of colorful expressions.

Any suggestions? Help on the attempted translation would also be appreciated. Thanks.