" Mad" Tourists Arrive In Phuket

george

The UK press has caught on to the possibility that whoremongering has resumed in Patong (and that makes quite a good newspaper piece).

UK radio has just asked its on-site stringer in Patong to confirm this and she's saying 'no, I can't see any evidence of it'.

...all akin to 'Masque of the Red Death'.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also live in kamala dn tracer's figures are way off!!!

The area will rebound,  Some small shops are already back in operation

Laguna, Surin, Chalong and 95% of karon beach were not affected at all.

True there are dead and they just pulled a few out of the basement of Ocean but I would say less than figured but one more than acceptable.

It is a sad day for all and thius new years can only get better.

Please understand that these figures comes from news agencies as they are released from local governements. This means after Dead have been retrieved , identified or not and counted. This figure always runs behind the reality of onsight impressions.

Estimates of people (dead or living) are always hard. If you have somebody gues how many people are there in a market place , one will say 5.000 the other 2.000. When you really count them it could be any number.

Sorry if the death toll figures upset people, but they are a neccesary pain.

Well, I just got here on Wednesday. I lived here for 3 years and wanted to make sure all my friends still working on the island were ok. Well, as many of you have said "Life Goes On". People here seem to be carrying on as normal. Patong has even opened up on most of Bangla from what I hear and Tiger Disco is now up and running again. There's no way they'll put in the news the real numbers here as they can't afford to lose all the business here. It's pretty sad driving down the back streets and seeing the piles of sand filled clothes and shoes being cleaned up and sold out front on the streets. The tourists seem to think they are "Out of Business" sales and think they are helping get some money back into the island. They have no idea that they are buying other people's shoes, handbags, wallets, clothes etc. Also seeing all sorts of people swimming at the beaches again.

Loong Dave  Today, 2004-12-30 09:23:35 Post #20 

Too much doom and gloom. Why don't they pass on the good news. Patong is getting cleaned up. The bars on Bangla are starting to open on Dec 29. The water is still fresh. The tourist, those who are not stupid and didn't run, are starting to go to the beach. Sure there was a disaster and sure there are dead. But life moves on. With all this sick reporting, which in a lot of cases isn't accurate, only helps the bad and corrupt to operate. The criminals now go around announcing another wave is comin and when the thais run and leave their homes, the criminals go in and rob the homes. The other day while one guy stood beside his car, someone was about to hook a chain to it and attempt to take it away. When the owner asked what he was doing he replied he was taking his car to the garage. When the owner said it was his car and he was the owner the guy took off fast.

I live in Patong and things are coming together once again. The farang news casters, both Brits on BBC and Americans on CNN and Fox in a lot of cases can't even pronounce the name of the island. Often they call it "Fooket" instead of "Pooket". How can you trust reports who can't even take the time to find the correct pronounciation.

Don't get me wrong.

Loong Dave What it is positive about your note?

You intend to paint this tragedy as something light and at the same time the Thai people as a banch of criminals.......and later you do not want somebody get you wrong.

You are not just insensitive, but ignorant and stupid. Offense intended also!

I believe another reason to go to Phuket now, is lower prices, but I'm not sure if this reason(no tourists=lower prices) aplicatable for Thailand.

Soi Bangla bars as far east as sea dragon were gutted, anything on the beach road was gutted.  Still no electric on the beach road because of downed poles.  There are some bars that have been open since day one and they seem to be doing business.

New years eve celebrations cancelled. 

Still findng bodies and am sure it will hit 3,000 plus.

Great idea to spend money BUT better idea to find a shop owner and give it direct to him.  WHY give money to a bar owner or shop that is oipen and has added 30% or more to his prices  ( which they have done here in kamala).  Just walk along the beach roads and you'll find people that need your help.

If you want compainship, plenty of ladies without jobs now.

You have it all wrong,, in Phuket lower toursists= higher prices ( except for hotels)

reason is they wnat to make 1,000 baht /day. if there are 110 tourists each pays 100, 5 each pays 200 and so on.

I heard the discos in patong were open and a few bars here in kamala have dug out and will be open tomorrow.

Positive note

The thais have done a great job as far as I can see. they are trying to survive and get thru this and helping all those that they can. There are thieves out there for sure but thats just the way they are. Overall they are getting it together and cleaning up, next step is rebuilding what they can.

Just heard that another wave is coming and Indai is advising that the people run for higher ground and the mobs are leaving Patong/kamala/Khao lak as I write this.

The toursist staying ar etryiong to salvage their vactions which to me is fine but SWIMING in the water is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Even a moron would smell the ebach and roads and realize trhe water must be partial poluted.

Many missing people and surely they will surface and wash onshore in the coming days. Noty a pretty site if your wading with your children I assure you.

I think most people are looking at things from a western perspective...

Thais dont look at death the same way we do, sure there is some grieving, but generally they just get on with life. For Thais death is a celebration of passing on to a new and hopefully better life. Thais are also down to earth people...they know that there is no point wasting time grieving while there is life to be had.

They know the importance of getting things back on track so they can rebuild their lives and their businesses, after all what is the point of going hungry over something that happens to us all eventually.

The bars and Go Go's will stay open where possible, the girls will still ply their wares, and they will have a good time despite the tragedy....that is the Thai spirit.

The guy who picked up a picture of King Chulalakorn and wiped it clean then gave a big smile and a thumbs up, didnt say a word but said heaps. Life will go on there and the people will rebound.

If you must grieve for the dead then do so, but remember it is the survivors that need help now, They still have mouths to feed, kids to educate and families to support. And that includes the bar girls.

Thais dont look at death the same way we do,  sure there is some grieving, but generally they just get on with life. For Thais death is a celebration of passing on to a new and hopefully better life. Thais are also down to earth people...they know that there is no point wasting time grieving while there is life to be had.

They know the importance of getting things back on track so they can rebuild their lives and their businesses, after all what is the point of going hungry over something that happens to us all eventually.

The bars and Go Go's will stay open where possible, the girls will still ply their wares, and they will have a good time despite the tragedy....that is the Thai spirit.

The guy who picked up a picture of King Chulalakorn and wiped it clean then gave a big smile and a thumbs up, didnt say a word but said heaps. Life will go on there and the people will rebound.

If you must grieve for the dead then do so, but remember it is the survivors that need help now, They still have mouths to feed, kids to educate and families to support. And that includes the bar girls.

Hear hear, Well said.....

Thais dont look at death the same way we do,  sure there is some grieving, but generally they just get on with life. For Thais death is a celebration of passing on to a new and hopefully better life. Thais are also down to earth people...they know that there is no point wasting time grieving while there is life to be had.

Ditto. Also, I was in bali shortly after that 'un'natural disaster and the local people sure were appreciative of the few tourists whom trickled in.

Some tourists stayed away out of fear, some out of respect, but the net result was the same... a second prolonged tragedy leaving thousands without a job or hope.

I made a 'support phuket' announcement in our E newsletter asking people to consider returning after the cleanup, to support the local economy. One guy sent an email saying I was 'insensistive' and altho he hadn't lost anyone, he's not returning for at least a year 'out of respect'...

All I can say is, if this fellow represents many others, the local people could well expect a second tsunami...an ECONOMIC one.

What a sad irony if that happens.

All these well intentioned people, staying away 'out of respect' and unwittingly causing untold misery to the survivors...

Meanwhile, CNN, BBC et al, are out chasing that last, dwindling 'money shot' for their ratings...(sorry, had to be said).

Let's avoid yet another disaster...when the recovery is done and the clean up well underway, come back and Support Phuket

If was able to go there right now I will doing my bag right away.

After speaking to Thai friends in Phuket, the most thing they fear is tourist not going to phuket for what is left of the high season.

They still have to put the bread and butter on the table, in the next few weeks hundred of Thais will lost their job because of that.

On the other side, here in Canada the people who had buy a trip to Phuket are left with two choice at the moment, they go or they loose the money they paid for the trip, it is simple like that. Since Canada did not put a travel warning on Thailand they can get their money back and not all people going to Thailand are that rich.

My next trip is shedule for next February and I will not change a thing, I will be in Phuket hugging people I care for.

Make no mistake, I totally understand that some people are in a hurry to leave the island and that others do not want to go but for me it's a go.

If was able to go there right now I will doing my bag right away.

After speaking to Thai friends in Phuket, the most thing they fear is tourist not going to phuket for what is left of the high season.

They still have to put the bread and butter on the table, in the next few weeks hundred of Thais will lost their job because of that.

On the other side, here in Canada the people who had buy a trip to Phuket are left with two choice at the moment, they go or they loose the money they paid for the trip, it is simple like that. Since Canada did not put a travel warning on Thailand they can get their money back and not all people going to Thailand are that rich.

My next trip is shedule for next February and I will not change a thing, I will be in Phuket hugging people I care for.

Make no mistake, I totally understand that some people are in a hurry to leave the island and that others do not want to go but for me it's a go.

Nam, it's the same for me and I agree 100% with the sentiment that staying away will only compound the problems - an economic disaster on top of a natural one doesn't bear thinking about. I am a long time visitor to LOS, with a Thai fiancee and we plan to start a business in November 2005 touring around the S Thai peninsula. These plans still stand and we have 3 friends coming with me from UK on 28/1. These guys are apprehensive to say the least, but my attitude is that so long as there is no/minimal risk of disease and we act with sensitivity and respect, then it's the best thing for us to do. For sure, it isn't going to be the trip is was planned to be, but the Thai people are dependent on the tourist cash and it is still a great place although it will be somewhat subdued I imagine. BTW, UK public have donated £25 million and papers are headlining stuff like £1m per hour - let's hope it keeps coming and more importantly, lets hope it reaches the targets.

I am a resident here in Phuket,

I have been to Patong 4 days running to try and get a perspective on such a bizzare ocurrance. 99% of Phuket goes on as normal and yet this 6 meter strip of beach front is obliterated and you are aware countless people have lost there lives and numerous families will never be the same again. Very hard to comprehend.

Not being a regular on this forum , I wondered how intelligent the conversation and debate would be as I glanced over the posts in regard the Tsunamis, and low and behold it doesn't take long for the usual feeble excuses, comical tongue in cheek rose tinted acceptance and rubbish as to why it is perfectly ok to live in the gutter on a constant basis to pop up.

All the 16 and 17 year old girls who put up with having to service old selfish beached whales every night for a pittance is acceptable because it's somehow helping all the poor Thai's out who have lost so much. As long as every able bodied man who comes on holiday from now to April walks this route I'm sure the high season wil be rescued. Pathetic.

Sadly, with so much commercial destruction on Patong's beach road and off shoots it would have been the ideal time for the government to have come in and financially supported a rebuilding program that reflected the natural beauty and potential the island once had and showed. Sadly, they won't and Patong will end up being re-constructed along exactly the same lines, playing to the bottom of the food chain-real shame.

Still life goes on..................lets just hope it goes on with those touirists who do venture giving a finer example of human empathy and respect than most one can witness here on there 2 weeks in the sun on any given day pre-tsunami disaster.

Mak

I have been to Patong 4 days running to try and get a perspective on such a bizzare ocurrance.  99% of Phuket goes on as normal and yet this 6 meter strip of beach front is obliterated and you are aware countless people have lost there lives and numerous families will never be the same again. Very hard to comprehend.

Not being a regular on this forum , I wondered how intelligent the conversation and debate would be as I glanced over the posts in regard the Tsunamis, and low and behold it doesn't take long for the usual feeble excuses, comical tongue in cheek rose tinted acceptance and rubbish as to why it is perfectly ok to live in the gutter on a constant basis to pop up.

All the 16 and 17 year old girls who put up with having to service old selfish beached whales every night for a pittance is acceptable because it's somehow helping all the poor Thai's out who have lost so much.  As long as every able bodied man who comes on holiday from now to April walks this route I'm sure the high season wil be rescued.  Pathetic. 

Sadly, with so much commercial destruction on Patong's beach road and off shoots it would have been the ideal time for the government to have come in and financially supported a rebuilding program that reflected the natural beauty and potential the island once had and showed.  Sadly, they won't and Patong will end up being re-constructed along exactly the same lines, playing to the bottom of the food chain-real shame.

Still life goes on..................lets just hope it goes on with those touirists who do venture giving a finer example of human empathy and respect than most one can witness here on there 2 weeks in the sun on any given day pre-tsunami disaster.

Mak

I agree Mak.

QUOTE(makavelithedon @ 2004-12-31 11:47:00)

I wish your message is well understood maka@.

Farangs must get it right and understant that what people need is Help, and not their pittance money, and their patronizing arrogance.

It is time that westerners who have the picture clear, as you do, to stop their silence, denounce and fight the ignorance of some farangs who patronize and denigrate the Thai people with their money power, their inmoral demands and the abuse they make of these girls in needs.

Fortunatelly, thanks to this tragedy, many westerners are now showing and demonstrating that there are many in here who do not come to indulge their selfishness, but are genuine tourist and migrants. Great people too, who knwos their place and how respect Thai people.

I am with youy maka@.

I have been to Patong 4 days running to try and get a perspective on such a bizzare ocurrance.  99% of Phuket goes on as normal and yet this 6 meter strip of beach front is obliterated and you are aware countless people have lost there lives and numerous families will never be the same again. Very hard to comprehend.

All the 16 and 17 year old girls who put up with having to service old selfish beached whales every night for a pittance is acceptable because it's somehow helping all the poor Thai's out who have lost so much.  As long as every able bodied man who comes on holiday from now to April walks this route I'm sure the high season wil be rescued.  Pathetic. 

Sadly, with so much commercial destruction on Patong's beach road and off shoots it would have been the ideal time for the government to have come in and financially supported a rebuilding program that reflected the natural beauty and potential the island once had and showed.  Sadly, they won't and Patong will end up being re-constructed along exactly the same lines, playing to the bottom of the food chain-real shame.

Mak

I wouldnt have thought that this was not the time or place for you to grind a personal axe.

Where ever tourists go, the sex trade will follow, always has done and always will do and not just in Thailand. BTW it is illegal to employ under 20yo people in bars and farangs can still go to jail for dealing with under 18yo persons. But as a resident you would know that, wouldnt you ???

In additon

thai's do need your help and money is what they ened the most. All the small stalls lost everything on Patong beach road, no hope to make a baht this high season.

Its a pity that few will see any money donated to help them nor will the goverment help them.

My fears are that Khun Pian and his crowd will line their pockets more than before and to make Patong tourist acceptable will not do the neccessary work to make the beach road safe but juist make it so that they can sell the space to the next group wishing to make money.

Starbucks, 31 flavors, ocean have the money to rebuild. do the small shops on soi Post office? My favorite restuarnt for the past 15 years ( sabai sabai) is gone and also his income to provide for his family.

Bare will make money and the girls will make money. The girls being thai will hopefully not send this months income home to essan but keep it here in Phuket.

Kamala beach has not been touched at all, no one has gone to even begin to clean up ( now 5 days) all the effort is centered on getting the money eaner PATONG up and running.

Mak

Mak, Thanks for the excellent post from the South which echoes some of my friends own concerns.I remain incidentally hopeful however that Patong will be redeveloped in a more attractive mode, though this is a minor consideration at present.I am afraid there is an element on this forum which probably simply cannot comprehend how sickening some of the earlier messages appear.

In an interesting article in the Sunday Times today, Bryan Appleyard wrote, "Thailand (Sri Lanka,S.India) have become Western playgrounds,tropical paradises of palm trees,sun,sand and sex.They are the consumerised version of the romantic dream of the primitive life in nature.Will the spectacle of nature striking back with such savagery cause us to think again?Judging by the most shocking spectacle of the week-the ethically questionable types who continued floating on Lilos and sunbathing amid the dead and dying after the tsunami had struck -probably not"

In a sense the idiots Appleyard rightly descibes as ethically questionable are preferable to the minority of posters earlier in this thread because the former are driven mainly by stupidity and insensitivity as opposed to self serving hypocrisy of the latter.

Mak

Mak, Thanks for the excellent post from the South which echoes some of my friends own concerns.I remain incidentally hopeful however that Patong will be redeveloped in a more attractive mode, though this is a minor consideration at present.I am afraid there is an element on this forum which probably simply cannot comprehend how sickening some of the earlier messages appear.

In an interesting article in the Sunday Times today, Bryan Appleyard wrote, "Thailand (Sri Lanka,S.India) have become Western playgrounds,tropical paradises of palm trees,sun,sand and sex.They are the consumerised version of the romantic dream of the primitive life in nature.Will the spectacle of nature striking back with such savagery cause us to think again?Judging by the most shocking spectacle of the week-the ethically questionable types who continued floating on Lilos and sunbathing amid the dead and dying after the tsunami had struck -probably not"

In a sense the idiots Appleyard rightly descibes as ethically questionable are preferable to the minority of posters earlier in this thread because the former are driven mainly by stupidity and insensitivity as opposed to self serving hypocrisy of the latter.

I guess that makes Boris one of the latter then ????.... :o

The tourist, those who are not stupid and didn't run, are starting to go to the beach.

After one week helping crippled people who have lost children, brothers,sisters, parents and relatives which for "Normal" humans is a greater loss of value than life itself you tell us that its stupid to run away from dirty Patong.

Be aware of your words.

Still so much to learn, specially to tolerate stupidity...

"Life Goes On"

Thanks for saying that at the moment farang62, please send your message to the survivors and victims of the tragedy. This is not about you or about other lucky to enjoy life today, but about peopel in dispair....have you seen the news?. Not sure whether you are ignorant or stupid, ot both.

"if i had survived that I would definitely be making sure I lived my life to the max"

snoophound if you would have survived but all your family have gone, not sure whether you would want that...life have many hard things to teach, in the meantime at least hide your ignorance...

Many girls now without a job and they need MONEY

tracer0 I assume you are not suggesting that they need your money in change for "something" else. They need HELP, and money is part of it. What farangs can do is also to show more respect. Can farangs think about how effectivelly help at the moment and in the future.... this time without expecting compensation for it?

This is a real tragedy for many, and if we do not contribute with material or other type of support, at least think that this moment is about them, those who are suffering and begin to suffer, and not about us.

BRAVO

Do you mind if I don't respond to this?Its a silly and meaningless comment from you anyway.But I would like to stress that we should definitely support the genuine local economy in Phuket (not pimping farang bar owners), and I will certainly be taking time off in the South very soon.

Don't want to get involved in the politics of the debate, but will post my own comments from an earlier thread which I feel have some relevance on the question of tourists returning to Thailand....

Coming back to Phuket later this month - immediately is too soon, given the extent of suffering and recovery ongoing right now.

I'm also encouraging a bunch of friends from Australia to join me for a holiday, the basic theme being to spend as much money as we can around southern Thailand to do our bit to help the local economy get back on its feet.

As far as I can see, after making donations this week - one of the greatest ways to help once people have started to pick up the pieces - is to get the tourist economy up and running.

So I figure we'll take some tours, buy a bunch of of stuff from a bunch of different vendors, eat in a bunch of restaurants, stay in some different hotels.

Can't hurt, surely?

Everyone will have their own ideas on how best to contribute in the long term - some will want tourists to stay away for a while, some will want them back immediately. Horses for courses really.

Do what you feel is right, and try not to step on others toes. Many people are feeling understandably sensitive at this time, and that should be taken into consideration by all of us voicing opinions.

I'll sure agree with you on this one it shows the Thai spirit.

Too much doom and gloom.  ...

Take the time and do it right this time while they have the chance and for heavens sake make sure the money that comes in for aid doesn't go to 'aid' the payment of a new Benz for some corrupt government official. :o

Ten hurrays for this comment! (Well maybe even more?)

I

Do you mind if I don't respond to this?Its a silly and meaningless comment from you anyway.But I would like to stress that we should definitely support the genuine local economy in Phuket (not pimping farang bar owners), and I will certainly be taking time off in the South very soon.

Boris, where is your sense of humour ??? But seriously if you make posts for the purpose of provoking a reaction, something to which you freely admit, then you have to expect some tongue in cheek remarks back...

Edited by gburns57au

No matter how Phuket is redeveloped, the sex trade will still flourish. Where there are tourists there will be girls willing to provide services to them, it's a fact of life and seen all over the world.

The girls are a lot better off working in a bar as it gives them some protection, would you rather have them working off the street or under control of the local Mafia, because if the bars werent there, that is what would happen. The girls that work in trade are there by choice, forget the well worn comments about them being given no choice because of poverty....there are millions of girls who choose to work in factories etc all over Thailand. The Bar girls are there to make big money and for some, to meet a farang who will take them away to a new life.

What I dont get is these self righteous people with their holier than thou attitudes. Take off the rose coloured glasses and see the realities of life. Phuket has a tourist driven economy and all that comes with it, do you really believe that Phuket would survive with just dive shops and souvenier stores ??

Now who exactly is this Mr Appleyard and what is his expertise on the subject. As far as I can recall there was no one sunbathing or floating on lilos amid the dead and dying, his comments are pure sensationalism.

Life will go on there, and I am glad to see that the events has not scared people off from going there. After the Bali Bombings it took many months for the tourists to return and in that time the locals suffered greatly. Is that what you would like to see happen in Phuket ??

In additon

Kamala beach has not been touched at all, no one has gone to even begin to clean up ( now 5 days)

Well, if that's the case, why don't we get down (up from me...) there and get stuck in? I spent a couple of days volunteering at Wachira last week and a day doing a reef - check/clean up. Now at a loose end though sure I could be somewhere - doing something(?) more.

Hi;

The staff from kamala bay garden resort started yesterday cleaing up the center part of kamala beach and there were also a few farangs helping as well.

Still so much to do on the beach road. It will take time but it will get done.

The thais are showing the world they are the best.