Smartass American Officials - Get Real!

onethailand

Excerpt from CNN article:

Faye Wachs said she was impressed by the efforts of the Thai government and the International Committee for the Red Cross, but "she was appalled at the treatment they got" from the U.S. government, her mother said.

At the airport in Bangkok, other governments had set up booths to greet nationals who had been affected and to help repatriate them, she said.

That was not the case with the U.S. government, Wachs told her mother. It took the couple three hours, she said, to find the officials from the American consulate, who were in the VIP lounge.

Because they had lost all their possessions, including their documentation, they had to have new passports issued.

But the U.S. officials demanded payment to take the passport pictures, Helen Wachs said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/29/tsunami.diver/index.html

Makes me ashamed to be an American. I will certainly be registering complaints with them.

Edited by onethailand

I know that this is not the time for politics, but this sort of thing really tees me off! Since 911 the US government has reacted, not acted.

Here are a couple of quotes from the blog of an American woman who was on Phi Phi Island when the tsunami struck:

"Thus, currently nearly penniless, passport-less, travel insurance-less etc. at the moment. But at the hospital everything is free including email access. Unfortunately, the US embassy has not been very helpful in contrast to other embassies and we don't know much logistically in terms of loans, passports, retreiving our stuff, etc. The ambassador to Sweden personally visited all the Swedes (several were on our boat trip)."

the next day:

"And again in contrast to other embassies we will have to go to Bangkok to get US embassy help with an authorized letter (basically a temp passport) as they have to verify our citizenship (post 9/11 security measures)."

I won't go so far as to say that I'm embarrassed to be an American, but I do want to make it clear that I was one of the 49% of US voters who DID NOT vote for the current regime!

I know that this is not the time for politics, but this sort of thing really tees me off!  Since 911 the US government has reacted, not acted.

Here are a couple of quotes from the blog of an American woman who was on Phi Phi Island when the tsunami struck:

"Thus, currently nearly penniless, passport-less, travel insurance-less etc. at the moment. But at the hospital everything is free including email access. Unfortunately, the US embassy has not been very helpful in contrast to other embassies and we don't know much logistically in terms of loans, passports, retreiving our stuff, etc. The ambassador to Sweden personally visited all the Swedes (several were on our boat trip)."

the next day:

"And again in contrast to other embassies we will have to go to Bangkok to get US embassy help with an authorized letter (basically a temp passport) as they have to verify our citizenship (post 9/11 security measures)."

I won't go so far as to say that I'm embarrassed to be an American, but I do want to make it clear that I was one of the 49% of US voters who DID NOT vote for the current regime!

Well, the current regime has nothing to do with rude and inconsiderate Embassy officials. The US Embassy in Bangkok has been getting better of late but other consulate posts around the globe are abysmal in their service to Americans abroad.

It's not all Dubya's fault! :o

Well, the current regime has nothing to do with rude and inconsiderate Embassy officials. The US Embassy in Bangkok has been getting better of late but other consulate posts around the globe are abysmal in their service to Americans abroad.

It's not all Dubya's fault! 

It's not the fault of the incumbent government. Bureaucrats don't change when governments change, except at the highest positions.

I would urge people to contact the American Embassy but I think they have more important things to do right now and it is not sensible to bog their phone lines down with complaints. But I hope the smartasses have staff monitoring the boards to let them know that we think they are idiots.

Have to agree with Jackr and I am a US citizen. I have traveled to about 40 differeent countries over the years, and I have encountered the rudest immigration and customs officials when I return to the US. It is no surprise to me what happened to that woman at the airport. I am no fan of the shrub, but this problem pre-dates his taking office.

Hang on a sec. I like US bashing as much as anyone..

...but the article goes on to say that the US office/booth is physically located IN the VIP lounge. That's the space they were given.

By selectively quoting the article you make it sound like the American diplomats were sitting around drinking Moet et chandon and eating canapes.

I read that part too - but that wasn't the point.

The point is - making people walk to get photos to save a photo machine is pretty ###### stupid when you can just have Polaroids at hand. Making them pay is stupid. Making them pay for passports is stupid.

People have just been through a life-threatening experience, and then you want to treat them like cattle and make them pay for it on top of that?

Sorry that CNN happened to quote the woman that way - but that was in the most important section which I quoted. You can feel free to repost the entire article if you like.

Yes, and the article - the full article, says....

... 'no-fee' passports are issued.

... US$100 loans are given to get to the issuance point.

....their photo printer at airport wasn't working well. So if you had cash on you, you were asked to get your own photos.

You choose not to quote the rebuttal portion of the article because it doesn't fit your 'point' .....whatever dude, I'm not American.

(Pity really, because I like your OneThailand website, which seems more objective)

Objectivity and ease is the whole point of the site - not necessarily of me personally. I still happen to think I should be expressing opinions...

Should I have just quoted that the woman was made to pay for photos?

Should I have wondered why it took her three hours to find the US consulate staff, when everyone should have known they were in the VIP lounge?

Should I have asked why there wasn't an immediately available US staff OUTSIDE the lounge and accessible to all airport staff?

No. You can draw your own opinions of that.

The fact of the matter is, they screwed up badly, and they had better shape up.

Edited by onethailand

Objectivity and ease is the whole point of the site - not necessarily of me personally.  I still happen to think I should be expressing opinions...

Should I have wondered why it took her three hours to find the US consulate staff, when everyone should have known they were in the VIP lounge?

Should I have asked why there wasn't an immediately available US staff OUTSIDE the lounge and accessible to all airport staff?

No.  You can draw your own opinions of that.

I went through the airport on Tuesday evening, and the US embassy did have somebody outside at that time.

Admittedly it's pretty poor form to make disaster victims pay for things. If nothing else, they could have given them the money to use the photo lab,or negotiated a flat rate with the guy to deal with Americans since they were having problems with their camera... (It's not the fault of the person who lost their passport in a natural disaster that the embassy's camera doesn't work). And the person in the story said that as they had their credit cards, they were giving money to other people for photos, so the embassy doesn't appear to have been checking all that well if people had money... (Cynical brit - embassy explanation sounds like spin to me...)

As for US immigration - to be honest - they've always been a bit brusque, but I think that's just the job. If things break down and you actually end up talking to one for a few minutes, they turn out to be normal enough people. - Admittedly I found this out because their computer system is a piece of cack that fell over twice last time I went there. (countrywide!!! Somebody sneezes in Alaska and Florida can't process foreigners landing.). Second time, halfway through processing the family's passports in the computer, so I ended up chatting to the guy while the servers were rebooted.

Yes, and the article - the full article, says....

... 'no-fee' passports are issued.

... US$100 loans are given to get to the issuance point.

....their photo printer at airport wasn't working well. So if you had cash on you, you were asked to get your own photos.

You choose not to quote the rebuttal portion of the article because it doesn't fit your 'point' .....whatever dude, I'm not American.

(Pity really, because I like your OneThailand website, which seems more objective)

I've had both bad and good experiences with American immigration. I can definitely understand people's expasperation. But in my experience they have been mostly good to me. A couple of months ago I was robbed of everything in Indonesia, including my ATM card. I was left almost penniless. The Consulate in Surabaya was so good to me, and very understanding. I have watched foreign nationals go through immigration in New York who were treated very well.

But I also became extremely exasperated with an Embassy official this year concerning a refugee. They definitely can be brusque. And the paying situation after this disaster is really bad, especially alongside other countries.

I do appreciate objectively looking at a situation from all sides, however, as Moog demonstrated above.

Off topic slightly, and I'm certainly no American hater, but of all the countries I've ever been to the worst reception was at US borders, both from the air and land!

Oh, you should try Russia and Israel. :D:D

Had my passport stolen from the Thai Embassy in Cairo once and it was sheer he11 dealing with the American Embassy there getting a replacement.

There are good Foreign Service personnel and not so good ones... :o

Off topic slightly, and I'm certainly no American hater, but of all the countries I've ever been to the worst reception was at US borders, both from the air and land!

Oh, you should try Russia and Israel. :o:D

Judging by Israelis I've met on my travels, I can see your point. No desire to go to either country to be honest, Rav.

Yeh, we're really evil.

Get a life and don't forget to pay Spain back it's "loan".

Mr Vietnam :o

White House - AP Cabinet & State

U.S. Boosts Tsunami Aid Tenfold to $350M

1 hour, 30 minutes ago White House - AP Cabinet & State

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

CRAWFORD, Texas - The United States is pledging $350 million to help tsunami victims, a tenfold increase over its first wave of aid, President Bush (news - web sites) announced Friday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Coverage

"Initial findings of American assessment teams on the ground indicate that the need for financial and other assistance will steadily increase in the days and weeks ahead," Bush said Friday in a statement released in Crawford, Texas, where he is staying at his ranch.

"Our contributions will continue to be revised as the full effects of this terrible tragedy become clearer," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this epic disaster."

Bush also is sending Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) to Indian Ocean coastal areas ravaged by earthquake and tsunami to assess what more the United States needs to do. The president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, will travel with him.

The newly announced aid came after some critics claimed that the initial U.S. contribution of $35 million was meager considering the vast wealth of the nation.

France has promised $57 million, Britain has pledged $95 million, Sweden is sending $75.5 million and Spain is offering $68 million, although that pledge is partly in loans.

Powell was traveling to New York on Friday to discuss the crisis with U. N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites).

Bush said disaster response officials are on the ground and the United States has established a support center in Thailand that is in operation. More than 20 patrol and cargo aircraft have been made available to assess the disaster and deliver relief supplies, he said.

"Many of those aircraft are on the scene," Bush said.

The president said the United States has dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, a maritime squadron from Guam and an amphibious ship carrying a Marine expeditionary unit. "They will soon be in position to support relief efforts to include the generation of clean water," he said.

On Friday, the president spoke by phone with British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites), Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin about the relief and recovery efforts and was briefed by Powell and National Security Council officials on the efforts under way.

White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy, who read the president's statement to reporters on the phone, did not disclose details of where the additional U.S. aid was being found in government coffers. He said, however, that the administration was talking with congressional officials about replenishing funds being used to back the tsunami aid pledge.

The president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has experience with extensive hurricane damage in Florida, will travel with Powell overseas. A congressional delegation headed by Rep. Jim Leach (news, bio, voting record), R-Iowa, a former U.S. foreign service officer, is scheduled to visit Thailand and Sri Lanka next week.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who often travels to blighted areas, said Thursday he plans to visit India to try to help victims of tsunamis that have left millions of people at risk of disease.

"I feel like I've been hit in the stomach," Frist, R-Tenn., said in an e-mail to friends and supporters. "It is like 9/11 but so different. There is no one to blame."

Andrew Natsios, chief of the U.S. Agency for International Development, said his staff arrived in the stricken areas on Monday, and he stressed the importance of assessing needs and organizing.

"This is a very complex operation," Natsios said Friday on CBS' "The Early Show." "If it's not managed properly, we can actually slow down the relief effort."

Canada was added Friday to a coalition of countries and organizations planning relief efforts. Others are the United Nations (news - web sites), the United States, Japan, India and Australia.

The U.S. death toll rose to 15, with eight dead in Thailand and seven in Sri Lanka. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said some 600 Americans who were listed as missing have been found, but several thousand had not been located four days after the disaster struck.

In Sri Lanka, Boucher said, Americans have been showing up at U.S. consular offices wearing bathing suits, with no money and no clothes.

With the global death toll continuing to rise, European governments discussed holding an international donors conference Jan. 7.

Boucher said the United States would participate in any such gathering, but he did not give details.

Want to try estimating the costs of the mobilization of a carrier group etc in addition to this?

Want to try estimating the costs of the mobilization of a carrier group etc in addition to this?

Carrier task force?? Are they planning an invasion?

I dare say this face saving measure is all in response to being called on the carpet for the puny initial contribution. It needn't have taken 5 days for the "American assessment teams on the ground" to realize the extent of devastation.

This is absolutely nothing new! I've been traveling the world 30+ years and returning to the US has always been tedious!

Carrier task force?? Are they planning an invasion?

I dare say this face saving measure is all in response to being called on the carpet for the puny initial contribution. It needn't have taken 5 days for the "American assessment teams on the ground" to realize the extent of devastation.

Why anyone would be surprised at the responses of the world largest and ponderous government largely staffed by poorly educated provincial ignoramuses is beyond my understanding.

Taking shots at the USA is hardly a challenge! It is a huge target. Bravo for the direct hits!

You really have to be a cut above average to get that done. :o

Objectivity and ease is the whole point of the site - not necessarily of me personally.  I still happen to think I should be expressing opinions...

No.  You can draw your own opinions of that.

Well that is the point to an informed opinion. Ask the questions first. :o Try and be more objective.

OK OK, as a number of you have pointed out, the US embassies bad reputation goes back quite a few years and can't be blamed on the Bush regime.

Not just the embassy.

One obvious solution was to just go buy a new inkjet printer! The Zeer IT shopping center is on the same road as the airport, just a little further down. For that matter, someone could have taxied to any shopping center.

However, my experience in similar matters from the inside is that few people in official circles will go spend $50 out of their own pocket, quick and easy. Despite the fact that they get about $70,000 per year salary from the taxpayer, mostly tax free, and their grade A housing is paid for...

But noooo..., must go thru the official bureaucratic procedures which take time.

Old inkjets are notoriously unreliable (my office goes thru several per year, doesn't waste valuable time going to service centers). Did they just take a spare inkjet that nobody wanted ... and perhaps there was a reason nobody wanted it?

The point here is that there is something we all can do.

Look at all the Thai volunteers aiding tourists, collecting bodies, etc. Are they government workers paid USD $70,000 per year to do that difficult work? No.

What is the American embassy doing in the VIP lounge? I could see the embassy of Luxembourg being put there separate from the big countries with obviously more foreign nationals in need, but why the American embassy? Besides, where are the big signs? Only more big sighs.

Does anyone know what the present status of this is? If it's still a problem, I'LL GO GET A FREAKING INKJET PRINTER AND BRING IT TO THEM if nobody else does.

If we wait for the governments, then we are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

New donation request... send any and all Polaroid cameras, inkjet printers, etc to the US Embassy aid station, Don Muang Airport. :o

Seriously, what expat-global said is very true. They definitely are not as well organized as they think.

Regarding the airport - maybe I was in the wrong place or something, but I will say that there was absolutely ZERO clue about how to get to ANY of the aid stations, and I sure as ###### didn't see anyone standing around - so perhaps there are fewer people now, or else I'm just blind as a bat. No signes either.

The LOGICAL place for coordination is the central connecting area in Departures right between Terminals 1 and 2. A huge Thai Airways counter, plus Bangkok Bank and a couple other foreign exchange booths - and this area is otherwise almost always devoid of people.

What the ###### were they thinking?