Need Lawyer (or Similar) In Chiang Mai

rrose070

Having wasted much time and money being shuttled around CM-BKK-CM immigration, we have now accepted that we need a professional, hopefully one located near us in CM. Can anyone recommend, fromm experience? Thanks

there is a thread on chiangmai lawyers. i was caught by two and am now using a bangkok lawyer.

Here is an excellent Law Firm:

www.isaanlawyers.com

Sebastian H. Brousseau, LLB. BSc.

They handle many kinds of work.

My experience with them was last year (2008).

My wife (Thai) left Thailand when she was about 17. She married and moved to the US where she raised a family over a 35 year period. She had not renewed here Thai ID card in all this time, or her passport. Her ex-husband kept telling her that the papers he got so they could be married were false. This intimidated her about trying to get them updated. After divorcing him she married me. I am an optimist and believed we could get it done. We drove to Los Angles and tried to get her a Thai Passport, man was she afraid. She still had her birth certificate and it and it really didn't take a day to do it. Getting the ID card was going to take a while, as we had to be in Thailand. We tried when we were on vacation there but there were too many obstacles, She doesn't speak Thai as much as she use to, so there was a language barrier for both of us. I swore on our next trip we would make it our number one priority. While back home I got on the net and did a search for a Thai lawyer and found Sebastian H. Brousseau of www.isaanlawyers.com. I had found a positive reference to this lawyer on ThaiVisa.net. We discussed our situation over a few months on net using Google Talk and emails. In July 08 all the arrangements were in place and we traveled to Bangkok to meet a representative of the office, Mr. Got, a young Thai lawyer. He fully understood our case and spoke good English. We went to Government House and got my wife's name out of the central file, they said she would have to go to Korat Ampur. They next day we headed out in a rental car and my trusty Garmin Nuvi GPS with Thai chip. I was surprised as how easy it was to drive out our Bnagkok with the GPS. We arrived in Korat and met Mr. Got, who had traveled there the night before by train. We went to the Korat Ampur, some paper work was done, but they said we had to go to Ampur in Non Sung, my wife's original village. This was a two hour drive so we planned to go the next day. On the way to Non Sung I asked Mr. Got if it was possible that after we got the ID card if we could possibly see if we could find my wife's parents. She had not had contact with them for over 30 years and didn't know if they were alive or not. He said yes, we can look into that. When we got to the Ampur the person looked up my wife's file and said her name was still in her mother's house, and she would have to bring her mother or a relative to vouch that my wife was who she said she was. The Ampur office gave us directions and we were off to find this house in the country. My wife was very nervous as she didn't know any living relatives.

We arrived at the house, it was locked, this didn't' look good. Mr. Got talked to some of the neighbors and found that Samlee, my wife's mother was babysitting down the street. Mr. Got went to find her, Samlee almost had a heart attack when she was told that her daughter was here. A reunion of mother and daughter, after over 30 years, each not knowing if the other was still alive. After hugs and kisses we all went, with a uncle, to the Ampur to finally get the ID Card. There is more to this story but that is for another time and place.

All I can say is this is one heck of a Law Office.

Oh, you were wondering how much all of this cost?

Would you believe less than $150 US? Unbelievable but true.

Bruce Kendall

//edit - e-mail address removed as per forum rules//

Having wasted much time and money being shuttled around CM-BKK-CM immigration, we have now accepted that we need a professional, hopefully one located near us in CM. Can anyone recommend, fromm experience? Thanks

there is a thread on chiangmai lawyers. i was caught by two and am now using a bangkok lawyer.

the thread is "a good lawyer in chiangmai" and it gives a list of recommended lawyers as well as a note on some to avoid.

be very careful.

One to avoid is "Phipat"

Whatever you need this is one guy to avoid like the p#@%$e.

Mercenery with a charge of Baht 2,000.00 / per hour.

Might not be NY rates but they certainly ain't Thai rates either.

Although we all like to get good value for money, surely it’s better to pay top dollar and get the job done, than pay peanuts (over and over again), only to never get anything sorted and consequently have to change lawyers anyway! Could cost more in the long run both in time and money!

I’m not saying the guy above is good or bad, as you don’t say, but it’s been my experience in Thailand that a little extra cash can go a long way in speeding up the wheels of progress

Aitch

One to avoid is "Phipat"

Whatever you need this is one guy to avoid like the p#@%$e.

Mercenery with a charge of Baht 2,000.00 / per hour.

Might not be NY rates but they certainly ain't Thai rates either.

Although we all like to get good value for money, surely it’s better to pay top dollar and get the job done, than pay peanuts (over and over again), only to never get anything sorted and consequently have to change lawyers anyway! Could cost more in the long run both in time and money!

I’m not saying the guy above is good or bad, as you don’t say, but it’s been my experience in Thailand that a little extra cash can go a long way in speeding up the wheels of progress

Aitch

Well, my experience has been that a little exttra money brings out the wolfves. Everyone here can get himself in trouble playing around with money. The best answer is, if you feel lucky, then fine. But you will rarely have any useful knowledge before making your deal... :o

Why would anyone require a lawyer to help with a visa application?

One only has to visit the Immigration office and ask what is needed for whatever type of visa is being applied for.

Providing the applicant has all the necessary documents, funds and can follow the imposed terms of the Immigration laws; there will be no problems.

This is one area in which to tread very, very carefully. There are some decent threads on this that you can find on TV. Just start searching. There is a lot of information on TV about legal services, not just from paid sponsors.

In the meantime, I wish to say that you will NOT necessarily find the best advice at the Expats Club. I am putting that politely. The club, which serves a very useful function in many, many ways, is a classic example of where the buyer should beware. I do not believe that it was established as a commercial enterprise by its founders, but in some significant ways it quickly became just that, in my opinion, because of people interested in the commercial advantage of membership quickly became very involved in the club. And some of their recommendations have been...well ... questionable, some highly questionable.

When it comes to Expats, caveat emptor. Don't be snowed, in particular regarding significant matters, such as legal advice on offer. That is not meant to tarnish all sponsors of the club or "friendly merchants," but one should realize that there is potentially a price to pay for such "kindnesses" which seemingly reduce the costs of lunch!

In my opinion, if you wish to join a club that is helpful (as the Expats Club truly is) in many ways, still take care. Otherwise, I know of some great values in agricultural property in Zimbabwe, if you are interested! I am not certain, however, given current circumstances, that there are enough expats there still around to form a quorum.

Here is an excellent Law Firm:

www.isaanlawyers.com

Sebastian H. Brousseau, LLB. BSc.

They handle many kinds of work.

My experience with them was last year (2008).

My wife (Thai) left Thailand when she was about 17. She married and moved to the US where she raised a family over a 35 year period. She had not renewed here Thai ID card in all this time, or her passport. Her ex-husband kept telling her that the papers he got so they could be married were false. This intimidated her about trying to get them updated. After divorcing him she married me. I am an optimist and believed we could get it done. We drove to Los Angles and tried to get her a Thai Passport, man was she afraid. She still had her birth certificate and it and it really didn't take a day to do it. Getting the ID card was going to take a while, as we had to be in Thailand. We tried when we were on vacation there but there were too many obstacles, She doesn't speak Thai as much as she use to, so there was a language barrier for both of us. I swore on our next trip we would make it our number one priority. While back home I got on the net and did a search for a Thai lawyer and found Sebastian H. Brousseau of www.isaanlawyers.com. I had found a positive reference to this lawyer on ThaiVisa.net. We discussed our situation over a few months on net using Google Talk and emails. In July 08 all the arrangements were in place and we traveled to Bangkok to meet a representative of the office, Mr. Got, a young Thai lawyer. He fully understood our case and spoke good English. We went to Government House and got my wife's name out of the central file, they said she would have to go to Korat Ampur. They next day we headed out in a rental car and my trusty Garmin Nuvi GPS with Thai chip. I was surprised as how easy it was to drive out our Bnagkok with the GPS. We arrived in Korat and met Mr. Got, who had traveled there the night before by train. We went to the Korat Ampur, some paper work was done, but they said we had to go to Ampur in Non Sung, my wife's original village. This was a two hour drive so we planned to go the next day. On the way to Non Sung I asked Mr. Got if it was possible that after we got the ID card if we could possibly see if we could find my wife's parents. She had not had contact with them for over 30 years and didn't know if they were alive or not. He said yes, we can look into that. When we got to the Ampur the person looked up my wife's file and said her name was still in her mother's house, and she would have to bring her mother or a relative to vouch that my wife was who she said she was. The Ampur office gave us directions and we were off to find this house in the country. My wife was very nervous as she didn't know any living relatives.

We arrived at the house, it was locked, this didn't' look good. Mr. Got talked to some of the neighbors and found that Samlee, my wife's mother was babysitting down the street. Mr. Got went to find her, Samlee almost had a heart attack when she was told that her daughter was here. A reunion of mother and daughter, after over 30 years, each not knowing if the other was still alive. After hugs and kisses we all went, with a uncle, to the Ampur to finally get the ID Card. There is more to this story but that is for another time and place.

All I can say is this is one heck of a Law Office.

Oh, you were wondering how much all of this cost?

Would you believe less than $150 US? Unbelievable but true.

Bruce Kendall

//edit - e-mail address removed as per forum rules//

strange story. not sure it helps. don't think this is a strong recommendation. seems fishy to me

This is one area in which to tread very, very carefully. There are some decent threads on this that you can find on TV. Just start searching. There is a lot of information on TV about legal services, not just from paid sponsors.

In the meantime, I wish to say that you will NOT necessarily find the best advice at the Expats Club. I am putting that politely. The club, which serves a very useful function in many, many ways, is a classic example of where the buyer should beware. I do not believe that it was established as a commercial enterprise by its founders, but in some significant ways it quickly became just that, in my opinion, because of people interested in the commercial advantage of membership quickly became very involved in the club. And some of their recommendations have been...well ... questionable, some highly questionable.

When it comes to Expats, caveat emptor. Don't be snowed, in particular regarding significant matters, such as legal advice on offer. That is not meant to tarnish all sponsors of the club or "friendly merchants," but one should realize that there is potentially a price to pay for such "kindnesses" which seemingly reduce the costs of lunch!

In my opinion, if you wish to join a club that is helpful (as the Expats Club truly is) in many ways, still take care. Otherwise, I know of some great values in agricultural property in Zimbabwe, if you are interested! I am not certain, however, given current circumstances, that there are enough expats there still around to form a quorum.

Excellent post, right on the ball; and well put Mapguy. For their own benefit, I hope posters needing legal advice take careful note

Excellent post, right on the ball; and well put Mapguy. For their own benefit, I hope posters needing legal advice take careful note

One should always exercise extreme caution (in any country of the world) when retaining the services of a shyster. These are some of the most vile and despicable people on the face of the earth.

Edited by elektrified

Why would anyone require a lawyer to help with a visa application?

One only has to visit the Immigration office and ask what is needed for whatever type of visa is being applied for.

Providing the applicant has all the necessary documents, funds and can follow the imposed terms of the Immigration laws; there will be no problems.

Exactly. I have seen law firms in Bangkok that advertise 60,000 Baht to obtain a one year Retirement Visa! ....and might I add, there are ex-pats standing in line to pay these exorbitant fees to these shysters.