Visa Waiver Extension

I have two UK friends who have arrived in Thailand on a 37-day holiday. They do not have tourist visas but got the 30-day visa waiver at the airport. I know it used to be possible to extend a visa waiver at immigration but now I am being advised that this is no longer possible under new rules. Can they get an extension or do they need to make a border run?

I have two UK friends who have arrived in Thailand on a 37-day holiday. They do not have tourist visas but got the 30-day visa waiver at the airport. I know it used to be possible to extend a visa waiver at immigration but now I am being advised that this is no longer possible under new rules. Can they get an extension or do they need to make a border run?

It is possible to get a 7 day extension at an immigration office. They will need to show their ticket to confirm that they will leave Thailand within that period. Better apply early in the last week of their permission to stay, so if need be they can do a border run. An extension on a visa exempt entry is not routinely given.

They were lucky the airline let them on the flight without a Visa.

As said a 7 day extension if they show their flight tickets leaving Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you want any first hand info of this process, but I was looking for a thread like this a while back:

I just got a 7 day extension on a visa waiver today in Krabi office. My original visa waiver was due to expire tomorrow.

Took about 10 minutes, cost 1900B + 20B for photocopy of the visa waiver page of my passport and the page they staple in there.

They guy in the office was very helpful and pleasant.

I just told him I had my outgoing flight rescheduled by my employer, and it may get changed again. I was writing down in the "reason for extension" part the dates of the flights and the immigration guy commented that I was writing a lot, so wsn't even necessary.

Had brought copies of the original ticket I had booked to fly on 20 feb, and copies of documents for work, but he didn't ask to see any of them.

Did need 1 passport photo and copy of passport main page. Also needed to remember details of flight, date and lace of entry into the kingdom. Had to specify home country address, and address of where I slept last night - no proof of that requested either.

Wasn't sure if should pay for an overstay (might be cheaper, might not depending when actually leave). Boyfriend told me just to get it as there have been a lot of changes lately and he doesn't want me to get a red stamp in my passport as could be big problem for us later.

I could have done a border run to Malaysia ealier, but was just not in the mood, wanted to get back home the same day, so spent a few extra days diving and then just took the bus to Krabi this morning.

Glad I did as can have some relaxing quality time with my man instead of dealing with thai-malaysian-thai immigration, hotels and all that goes with a border run. In my case 1900B I am willing to pay if it equals more time and less stress.

Forgot to mention:

Didn't need to show any airline ticket at all, good thing as had forgotten to print it.

Also, the sign on the door said they were closed for lunch 12-1pm.

I arrived at the immigration at 12.05pm, but I was welcomed with a smile and given a form to fill out straight away.

Very few countries that kind of thing is going to occur any more - 10 minute processing time turn around when they are officially closed for lunch. Love it.

Was subsequently a bit bummed when I had to wait 45 minutes for the bus back home.

• 4 months later...

Anyone able to confirm that there have been no changes to this recently :) and that the present position is a visitor on a visa waiver entry can extend for a maximum of 7 days from end of existing period [Cost circa 1,900 THB] and usually it is required to show the return ticket as confirmation? If this is the case can this process be undertaken by an authorised person or by mail, or must the applicant personally attend?

Regards