2001 JI Terrorist Plot Crushed In Bangkok

Jai Dee

2001 terror plot crushed in Bangkok

Jemaah Islamiyah terrorists planned to steal a plane at the Bangkok airport at Don Mueang and crash it into the Changi Airport but the plan was broken up when Thai authorities discovered key details. The key plotter revealed details of the plot to a Singapore newspaper on Wednesday.

Mohammad Hassan bin Saynudin, a native of Singapore, said he and fellow JI member Mas Selamat bin Kastari planned to hijack the plane from Bangkok and ram it into the airport, the report said. The plan was aborted when Thai authorities became aware of it, he told the Straits Times newspaper from a court lock-up in Indonesia on Tuesday.

"We wanted to do it out of anger with Singapore for being an ally of the United States for what it did in Afghanistan," said Hassan, also an alleged member of the Southeast Asia-based Islamic militant group JI. "What I was trying to do was to defend Islam and Muslims."

More from the Bangkok Post here.

I ever say terrorism has no religion. These are <deleted>----g people who called themselves muslims but THEY ARE NOT MUSLIMS at all. They don't know even ABC of Jihad nor religion they are brain washed people and being used by different agenscies just for their own aim. What's their aim vary from agency to agency, location to location.

Now question is why only Muslims always come on list because they can be used very easily. You can brain wash a muslim (ignorant muslims only) by showing them heavens and rewards after death and use their emotions of religion for your aim. In Islam Jihad is very sacred thing. It is very clearly ordered by Islam that you can not hurt Children, Women, Old People, Cattles, Property, Crop until unless they hurt you. You can fight only young people or those who want to fight with you.

When Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid are in flames please do not expect the US to save your butts AGAIN.

Oh wake up, it was the US in flames not Europe, and it was the US government's apalling foreign policy that made the country a target. But it's probably a waste of oxygen trying to convince you otherwise.

The best way to deal with terrorists is to refuse to be terrorized.

Crushdepth>> He said it was the US that was in flames, so you cannot bash him for that. He said 'when' Europe is in flames...

Which makes both of you wrong, as Europe has already been the repeated attacks from the same network of extremists...the largest attack you might even remember (Spain 2004). Apart from several others...

When Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid are in flames please do not expect the US to save your butts AGAIN.

Oh wake up, it was the US in flames not Europe,

Who was sleeping? Did 11 March 2004 (Madrid over 190 dead) and 7 August 2005 (London 52 dead) pass you by?

Oh wake up, it was the US in flames not Europe, and it was the US government's apalling foreign policy that made the country a target. But it's probably a waste of oxygen trying to convince you otherwise.

It onl to reason that a certain number of Eurpoeans would be gloating over 911.

Oh wake up, it was the US in flames not Europe,

Who was sleeping? Did 11 March 2004 (Madrid over 190 dead) and 7 August 2005 (London 52 dead) pass you by?

You are correct, but it was the 7th of July 2005.

It onl to reason that a certain number of Eurpoeans would be gloating over 911.

Remember people from over 100 different countries died @ 911 but the majority where firefighters from New York

No it didn't, but put it in perspective. How long would it take for that many people to die on the roads? A weekend? Terrorism is rare and the risk is grossly overstated and hyped by politicians for political ends. This morning George Bush declared another terrorist act to be 'the number one threat' to Americans. Obviously it isn't.

By massively over-responding governments play into terrorists hands and encourage more. I think the Indian response has been the most sane so far: Shoot anyone caught in the act, clean up the mess and get on with life. Show's over.

No it didn't, but put it in perspective. How long would it take for that many people to die on the roads? A weekend? Terrorism is rare and the risk is grossly overstated and hyped by politicians for political ends. This morning George Bush declared another terrorist act to be 'the number one threat' to Americans. Obviously it isn't.

By massively over-responding governments play into terrorists hands and encourage more. I think the Indian response has been the most sane so far: Shoot anyone caught in the act, clean up the mess and get on with life. Show's over.

Put things in perspective... by accepting a crass, offensive and factually inaccurate generalisation to the effect that there were no European deaths? I think not.

Edited by citizen33

Jemaah Islamiyah terrorists planned to steal a plane at the Bangkok airport at Don Mueang and crash it into the Changi Airport but the plan was broken up when Thai authorities discovered key details. The key plotter revealed details of the plot to a Singapore newspaper on Wednesday.

Mohammad Hassan bin Saynudin, a native of Singapore, said he and fellow JI member Mas Selamat bin Kastari planned to hijack the plane from Bangkok and ram it into the airport, the report said. The plan was aborted when Thai authorities became aware of it, he told the Straits Times newspaper from a court lock-up in Indonesia on Tuesday.

"We wanted to do it out of anger with Singapore for being an ally of the United States for what it did in Afghanistan," said Hassan, also an alleged member of the Southeast Asia-based Islamic militant group JI. "What I was trying to do was to defend Islam and Muslims."

now for a little truth-thai authority discovered nothing, thai authorty became aware of it.....??? oh my God...zero, they are totally incapable of dealing with this sort of thing let alone taking care of it

amongst security expert's Thailand is a joke when it comes to anything like this-look at what happened the other day- a paratrooper missed ther zone and killed a little girl ( may she RIP)

that about sum's up the abilty's of the securty force's here

the west, the true ruler of this place dealt with it and partially the reason why this sort of thing may of happened here

then, as is the norm, let the handbag army take all the credit

Put things in perspective... by accepting a crass, offensive and factually inaccurate generalisation to the effect that there were no European deaths? I think not.

I thought the anti-muslim rant by the guy I originally replied to was pretty crass, offensive and factually inaccurate. As for your post, I never said there wasn't any European deaths.

I believe that until normal,everyday muslims stand up against terrorism,it will go on forever.But in Australia at least,no muslim would ever "dob in" another of the same faith.I don't know if there is something in the koran that forbids it,or if they are simply observing self preservation (As in their life would be in danger of the extremists also)?Can anyone shed any light on this?

Edited by tritexengineering

Mohammad Hassan bin Saynudin, a native of Singapore, said he and fellow JI member Mas Selamat bin Kastari planned to hijack the plane from Bangkok and ram it into the airport, the report said.

So it was just the two of them and Thai authorities got wind of it? Not exactly a well planned international network is it. Sounds like a work of fiction. Anyone seen Power of Nightmares?

"In the past our politicians offered us dreams of a better world. Now they promise to protect us from nightmares.

The most frightening of these is the threat of an international terror network. But just as the dreams were not true, neither are these nightmares. "

Edited by Smithson

.... I think the Indian response has been the most sane so far: Shoot anyone caught in the act, clean up the mess and get on with life. Show's over.

Except at 9/11 there was nobody left to shoot!

So with many other acts of terror!

Suicide missions are the ploy of the day!

Nobody left to shoot, arrest or prosecute!

Or planting of remote controlled devices.

That is the "idea" behind terrorist acts!

Terrorism is real and a thread to any society at any time!

Just remember the horrible Bali incident!

Terrorism is real and a thread to any society at any time!

Just remember the horrible Bali incident!

Terrorism is horrible and real, but as a threat is grossly exaggerated. In Thailand we face a greater threat from the roads or burning buildings, but you see little prevention in these areas.

The Thai authorities probably got a press release too at the time. All the terror value without any of the casualties..... The Thai Anti-Terrorist elite unit promptly jumped onto his moped and roared into action...

This morning George Bush declared another terrorist act to be 'the number one threat' to Americans. Obviously it isn't.

Seeing as the President's #1 responsibility is to protect the citizens, and he did an admirable job of that in the post 9-11 era, OBVIOUSLY you have some errors in judgment and mistaken interpretation of recent history to resolve.

You criticize governments for over-reacting then imply that a shoot first, ask questions later strategy is the most sound approach. Yeah, what the heck, we don't need to try to know what they know. Let's just blast 'em and bury 'em. The heck with the leaders who recruited 'em, brainwashed 'em, funded 'am, and trained 'em.

Pretty bone-headed contradictions if you ask me.

Peaceful everyday Islam is to be commended and appreciated. I see examples of it every day. Fanatical, radical, violent, minority factions attempting to corrupt peaceful Islam have been a WORLD-WIDE problem for decades and will continue to be a problem. Diligence, awareness, pre-emptive action, and swift decisive response are some of the few defenses.

I ever say terrorism has no religion. These are <deleted>----g people who called themselves muslims but THEY ARE NOT MUSLIMS at all. They don't know even ABC of Jihad nor religion they are brain washed people and being used by different agenscies just for their own aim. What's their aim vary from agency to agency, location to location.

Now question is why only Muslims always come on list because they can be used very easily. You can brain wash a muslim (ignorant muslims only) by showing them heavens and rewards after death and use their emotions of religion for your aim. In Islam Jihad is very sacred thing. It is very clearly ordered by Islam that you can not hurt Children, Women, Old People, Cattles, Property, Crop until unless they hurt you. You can fight only young people or those who want to fight with you.

I believe that you have been far to gracious in your assessment. They most certainly are religious folks and have spent years studying their religion's tenets. This is what their religion says can and should be done to infidels.

In Islam Jihad is very sacred thing. It is very clearly ordered by Islam that you can not hurt Children, Women, Old People, Cattles, Property, Crop until unless they hurt you. You can fight only young people or those who want to fight with you.

This is what we in the west want to believe and it is propogated by governments and media alike in the interests of avoiding civil unrest. To say otherwise, would scare the population and lead to tragic events.

Unfortunately,the reality is that there are no obstacles when it comes to killing anyone deemed to be an apostateor infidel. The existence of such is sufficient grounds for the immediate execution of the non-believer. Sharia law as practiced in Iran goes so far as to allow the pardon of those that will kill people deemed to be "morally corrupt". For example, the Basiji Force in Iran regularly killed people on that basis. (Citation :The last victims, were a young couple engaged to be married who the killers claimed were walking together in public." Source- http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/19/africa/19tehran.php )

One can go back and forth on the issue and say that some muslims disagree with this interpretation. However, I would say that such a disagreement is akin to the differences between Christians such as Pentecostals and liberal methodists, with the difference that Christians no longer go about deciding which sinners against the faith need to be killed. Obviously, not all muslims are given to violent tendancies and it is wrong to label them all as being adherents to the violence as taught within the religious text. However, such people also run the risk of being called morally corrupt or apostates according to the religion.

In respect to the comment that these terrorists are "ignorant". I draw your attention to the fact that the 30-June-2007 Glasgow Airport attackers were physicians. Perhaps ignorant in terms of western ideals, but certainly not ignorant of understanding the concept of right and wrong within the western context.

The failure of westerners in dealing with this group, is that westerners, particularly Europeans cling to their eurocentric ideals in dealing with them. It's a completely different set of rules. The religion determines the culture. Turkey which has tried to retain its secular ways, certainly highlights the differences. Although subject to its own terrorist acts and a muslim country, it is relatively free of the problems that beset its muslim neighbours. Turkey even finds time to be a friend to Satan's lapdog, Israel. There is a reason for that: Turkey set itself free from the bondage of draconian religious beliefs and although the struggle continues, the religion has been separated from the state and modified.

The Thais understand this situation far better than westerners. It followed it's own Turkish style model when it came to its muslim population. As the Thai government deals with its malaysian insurgents financed by the same folks that cause trouble in the middle east, it would serve westerners well to watch and learn from the Thais. Thailand knows what it is dealing with and that's why the gloves come off from time to time.

Seeing as the President's #1 responsibility is to protect the citizens, and he did an admirable job of that in the post 9-11 era,

I REALLY hope that was sarcasm!!

me too- that was bellow the belt

you think he wanted that responsibility, yes, he made many mistake's

i hate much of what he did...but psssst, who hasn't

he is human being after all and we never seem to hear about all the things the yanks did good-onyl the bad

damned if they do damned if they do not

a America this, America that... the great evil....

yes, they, like the Brit's have did and will make many mistake's

but whose else nowadays is willing to stand up and stick to what it is conviction

maybe they get it wrong sometimes

but at least they try

who would rather be running the show

osama or bush, gordon brown?