Finally! Pool Arrives In Chiangmai

monto

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that now there is a place to play pool in chiangmai,thailand.I know lot of people visit thailand and also chiangmai.Though there quiet a few number of small tables in a lot of bars but this is the first room with 9ft tournament size tables.

now you can play your favourite sport in chiangmai as well.

No i am not a stake holder in the joint but really happy to see place like this come up in my neighbourhood.

It is located in trendy nimmanhemin road and sports 9 brand new wiraka tables and very friendly and courteous staff.

The address is

Cue Bar Pool Club

No.5 Nimmanhaemin Soi 9,

Suthep,Muang

Chiangmai

053-895033

Here are some pics

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Yes this is me in action

IMG_0517.jpg

Nice pictures monto!

Cue Bar is indeed a great place to play pool. And Don is a great opponent too :D

I would rather drive a nail through my 'bol**cks" than play on a US style table thanks.

Don't tell me, the pockets are too big, and it's too easy... right? :o

There are plenty of good pool tables here already.

Really? Where? Please do share.

I played on some Chiang Mai tables tonight around Thaepae, for the first time in ages, and I had forgotten how boring and unsatisfying it is. Like playing chess with an old man, on a shity chess board you found in the bin.

.... 9 brand new wiraka tables ....

where can you buy aforementioned tables in chiang mai/thailand?

I have one at my home and its 9ft.I might be willing to sell as i would be moving out of thailand soon:o

Nice pictures monto!

Cue Bar is indeed a great place to play pool. And Don is a great opponent too :D

I would rather drive a nail through my 'bol**cks" than play on a US style table thanks.

Don't tell me, the pockets are too big, and it's too easy... right? :o

There are plenty of good pool tables here already.

Really? Where? Please do share.

I played on some Chiang Mai tables tonight around Thaepae, for the first time in ages, and I had forgotten how boring and unsatisfying it is. Like playing chess with an old man, on a shity chess board you found in the bin.

Unsatisfying is the word. It's also frustrating and really, really boring.

People knocking pool played with the correct rules on proper tables really need to give it a fair go. I didn't appreciate it until I started to play regularly on them; now, I wouldn't play on a crappy snooker style table if you paid me.

They also need to see the game as a 'match' rather than a single frame. They say it's too easy and you can lose to anyone - over one frame, that's true, but try a race to 7 and guess what?, the best player wins. You can probably play 7 frames in the time it takes to play one on a snooker table anyway.

.... 9 brand new wiraka tables ....

where can you buy aforementioned tables in chiang mai/thailand?

I have one at my home and its 9ft.I might be willing to sell as i would be moving out of thailand soon:o

I am looking to buy a good larger pool table please get back to me.

Craig

Well I went to the Cue club on monday and played in the tournie and quite enjoyed it the rules were a little strange but if they are the international rules then so be it but certainly takes a bit getting used to but I can see its a totally different game to what we play.

My thoughts on the tables and the game itself in comparison to what I normally play on is this

Its more of a Potfest meaning the games are over in lighting speed one mistake and normally game over with a decent player, thats Ok and its always nice to pot balls however I did not feel challenged and there was no tactics involved just break and clear the table.

While I enjoyed the game and will certianly go and play there again I will stick mainly to the other tables as I stand by my original comment that the rules and the tables we play require more skill and tactics and you need to know your angles to get out of snookers and be way more accurate when making a pot this requires more skill and you have to use your brain if put in a snooker to work out how to get out of it.

I am certianly happy I attended they had a few HEATED issues/arguments about the rules, and the owner will have to post them on the wall to avoid issues like that in the future.

I think everyone had a good time and I am looking forward to next weeks tournament where I will bring my cue this time :o

The Quality of the play was very high and there are certianly a few excellent players that play there and I look forward to getting more used to the tables and the big cues and balls

Well I went to the Cue club on monday and played in the tournie and quite enjoyed it the rules were a little strange but if they are the international rules then so be it but certainly takes a bit getting used to but I can see its a totally different game to what we play.

My thoughts on the tables and the game itself in comparison to what I normally play on is this

Its more of a Potfest meaning the games are over in lighting speed one mistake and normally game over with a decent player, thats Ok and its always nice to pot balls however I did not feel challenged and there was no tactics involved just break and clear the table.

While I enjoyed the game and will certianly go and play there again I will stick mainly to the other tables as I stand by my original comment that the rules and the tables we play require more skill and tactics and you need to know your angles to get out of snookers and be way more accurate when making a pot this requires more skill and you have to use your brain if put in a snooker to work out how to get out of it.

I am certianly happy I attended they had a few HEATED issues/arguments about the rules, and the owner will have to post them on the wall to avoid issues like that in the future.

I think everyone had a good time and I am looking forward to next weeks tournament where I will bring my cue this time :o

The Quality of the play was very high and there are certianly a few excellent players that play there and I look forward to getting more used to the tables and the big cues and balls

I am glad it turned out OK even though I couldn't be there. I knew there would be rules "discussions". They really should post them AND, if using intenational rules, give players an internet link to the rules so the serious players can read and understand in the comfort of home and not in the heat of battle.

I have seen a lot of awfully good snookers( safeties) played using those rules and equipment in both 8 ball and 9 ball. It is just harder to shoot a good snooker because of the requirement to drive a ball to the rail after contact. I watched a video of a 9 ball match between Souquet and Bustamante over the weekend. They shot many good safeties on each other and then the opponent would kick out, get a legal hit and leave it safe back the other way. Back and forth they went several times. I don't think they ever missed getting a legal hit but eventually one would leave the other an open shot. The really top players(pros) are thinking defense all the time and if they don't have a clear path to break up any clusters and run out, a good safety will be the first choice.

That's enough BS from me.

I advise you to stick with it - the tables ideally, but at least the rules if not. It takes a couple of months for them to make complete sense - when they do, you'll never go back to the old ones. It was like switching on a light for me.

The more you play, the more you will realise what you can do with the cue ball. Positional play becomes much more important, so knowledge of angles etc is just as important as it is when getting out of snookers, for example. You won't need tactics, snookers, safety etc - the rules (and tables) free you from these chores. Personally, I always feel cheated when an inferior opponents beats me through playing tactically - it's negative and you get dragged down to someone else's level.

How many players were there? What's the ratio of Thai/farang? Are the house cues any good? And, most importantly, how much is the beer?

You won't need tactics, snookers, safety etc - the rules (and tables) free you from these chores. Personally, I always feel cheated when an inferior opponents beats me through playing tactically - it's negative and you get dragged down to someone else's level.

I am no great pool player (or even a mediocre one :o ) but surely using snookers and safeties are an important part of play at the highest level? The knowledge of angles, strength of the shot and the importance of leaving the cue ball safe after escaping from a snooker seems to me to mark out skills that the best players would be expected to master. Otherwise don't games just become pot fests with virtually no strategy at all?

You won't need tactics, snookers, safety etc - the rules (and tables) free you from these chores. Personally, I always feel cheated when an inferior opponents beats me through playing tactically - it's negative and you get dragged down to someone else's level.

I am no great pool player (or even a mediocre one :o ) but surely using snookers and safeties are an important part of play at the highest level? The knowledge of angles, strength of the shot and the importance of leaving the cue ball safe after escaping from a snooker seems to me to mark out skills that the best players would be expected to master. Otherwise don't games just become pot fests with virtually no strategy at all?

Well said. The best players use a mix of offense and defense to win. Shooting good safeties and escaping from them is an integral part of the pool games at the highest level. Those who only think of offense will never get to the highest level. All the pros are great ball potters and position players. It is often who plays better safeties on a given day that determines the winner in professional matches.

Agree that snookers and safeties are an important part of play at the highest level. However, international rules eliminate 'soft' snookers, such as rolling up to a ball. The penalty when a foul is committed is also more in line with the offence ie not overly punative, like 2 shots is. Therefore, international rules (and 9ft tables) encourage positive, attacking play, whilst providing less incentive for defensive, negative play.

Strategy only comes into play when you have no other option; as a last resort. Small tables (and other rules) encourages strategy from the outset, which is not in the spirit of the game IMO. You want strategy? Play chess. You want snookers and safeties? Play snooker.

Ultimately, I don't think you improve as a player by intentionally seeking to win via strategy. Snooker in year's gone by was generally played very conservatively - avoid risks, keep things tight, score a few and then run away to safety. That has (thankfully) all changed, and it is now the most aggressive that are the winners.

You question you need to ask yourself is, "am i willing to die by a thousand cuts?"

How many players were there? What's the ratio of Thai/farang? Are the house cues any good? And, most importantly, how much is the beer?

16 players double elimination and its a handicaped comp although this will take time till its accurate

ratio thai farnag about 50-50

House cues well they are house cues I will be buying my own

Beers 80 baht for big beers although they ran out with us brits drinking there had to actually force a heneiken down at the end of the night and lets face it thats not a Beer :o

Edited by FarangCravings

16 players double elimination and its a handicaped comp although this will take time till its accurate

ratio thai farnag about 50-50

Beers 80 baht for big beers although they ran out with us brits drinking there had to actually force a heneiken down at the end of the night and lets face it thats not a Beer :o

No, it's piss. 80 baht for big beers is very good. I keep forgetting how cheap CM is.

How does a handicap system work on a best of 3? Presumably the weaker player only needs to win one rack, which could be contentious.

If you are seious about buying a cue, I have a nice semi-custom I am going to sell. It is new, never chalked and never played. 2 shafts.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll give more details.

The handicap if I remember is rated by letters if you are

A player play to 5 frames

B player 4 play to 4 frames

C player 3 play to 3

D player 2 get to 2 frames

So if an A player plays a D player it will be A has to get to 5 frames and the D only to 2

If a B player plays an A player it will be A player has toiget to 4 frames and the B player to 3 and so on

The handicap if I remember is rated by letters if you are

A player play to 5 frames

B player 4 play to 4 frames

C player 3 play to 3

D player 2 get to 2 frames

So if an A player plays a D player it will be A has to get to 5 frames and the D only to 2

If a B player plays an A player it will be A player has toiget to 4 frames and the B player to 3 and so on

That's a lttle better than just plain races to 3 and similar to what I have played in before, only this has fewer levels. Last ones I played in had amateurs ranked 4 to 10 and pros 11-13.

FYI - I never saw a 4-6 amateur beat an 11-13 pro.

8-ball comp again tonight folks.

poolcomp-1.jpg

Last week's competitions were great, and it was nice to meet FarangCravings & co in the flesh! He did beat me at pool, however his prediction that one of his counterparts would win the competition was, well... wrong! :o

Just out of interest, who won - a farang or a thai? I used to find some thais very difficult to play against, not least because they tend to play very conservatively, rather than just going for it. I also find they don't have a very powerful break, which inevitably leads to more safety or generally a more tactical game. I used to get fed up of doing all the hard work, only for them to clean up when I'd invariably break down.

Just out of interest, who won - a farang or a thai? I used to find some thais very difficult to play against, not least because they tend to play very conservatively, rather than just going for it. I also find they don't have a very powerful break, which inevitably leads to more safety or generally a more tactical game. I used to get fed up of doing all the hard work, only for them to clean up when I'd invariably break down.

It's been won by Thais so far. These boys play aggressive attacking pool, and they can smash em too.

I've been playing terribly recently. FarangCraving's missus beat me on monday there :o to be fair she is a good player though.

Have they come up with a complete set of rules(written) yet?

Yes they have the rules now posted on the wall now for all to see

Hans

the play is very open and the standard is very highand they tell me they are having a big comp in a few weeks with 50,000 baht for the winner more details on that next week

Edited by FarangCravings