How To Close A Bag Of Bread Or Save From Getting Stale

buzzer101

Bought a loaf of bread today but it was sealed with a bit of short red tape which is impossible to open unless you cut and when you do the bag splits ....

I did and now I have half a loaf which is hanging outside which i'm sure is not going to taste very good in the morning

Any suggestion except going to buy a fresh loaf

Edited by buzzer101

Bread freezes well.

Divide your loaf (sliced or unsliced) into portions. Put your daily portions into the freezer in plastic bags or foil.

I think it's best to de-frost your bread the day before you will eat it, but you can still take it straight from the freezer to heat gently in a microwave oven or toaster.

I don't know what's your problem Mapguy?

A lot of people like to eat bread and have the problem, how to keep the bread fresh the next day. At the moment this might not be a big problem, but usually with the climate here - the heat and the high humidity- bread gets very fast stale.

So it's certainly a legitimate question to ask, what we can do about it.

Try common sense ,although that does seem to vanish the minute some people log on to tv. Other than that it will have to be (A) fridge B a bag C plastic container . if you decide on C plastic container and need help getting the lid off i'm sure if you use the search function you will find a thread on here somewhere . :o

Edited by malcy

if you decide on C plastic container and need help getting the lid off i'm sure if you use the search function you will find a thread on here somewhere . :o

Plastic containers, bags, fridges !! What's wrong with the old fashioned bread bin? I bet bakers don't keep their bread in the fridge.It does harden the really good breads with lots of body ; probably doesn't damage that mushy, limp ,white rubbish full of plasticisers, glutamates and other toxins.

I've taken to keeping bread in an air-tight bag (one of those you can seal-with difficulty) and not in the fridge. Now I want a boiled egg. I've searched but can't find any advice. What am l going to do. Shall I keep them in the fridge, boil for three minutes, four minutes, five minutes. Problems, problems.

Several ways to achieve this....

Slice your bread (if not already sliced)

Put it in fresh plastic bags (readily available in Rimping & elsewhere) Seal the bag using a plastic paper clip or twist tie. Put in freezer and take out as required.

Or use a "zip lock" plastic bag (readily available in Rimping & elsewhere) Put in freezer etc....

If already sliced (the bread) the celophane bag (that the bread comes in) can be gently opened and resealed using one of the above methods.

If you are dossing somewhere and don't have a freezer buy smaller quantity and put in a tight seal plastic box.

Problem solved.

Now for all those in future (who have this problem) please use the search function and that will keep mapguy happy :o

I brought about two dozen "bag-sealer" plastic clips* when I moved here from the UK - keeps things relatively fresh and keeps insects out. As mentioned, a big plastic food box does the job - or learn how to do the elastic band seal that's universal here........ you'll be glad you did.

I get through a lot of "proper" bread, mostly from Carrefour and sometimes from Rimping. Bread does freeze well but I'm not a fan of doing it for short-term/daily use - and my freezer's crammed with other stuff.

* If only I'd thought to do the same with clothes pegs......... :o

I find it incredulous that there are people are so lacking in common sense that they need to post on an open forum to get advice on such a simple thing. JEEZ its not exactly rocket science! You have ripped the bag it came in so it stands to reason the first option is to place it in another bag you can seal!

How did you survive this long ? Did Mummy do everything for you ? Amazing :o

A question is only easy if you know the answer, and everyone has their areas of speciality. A question such as this one is relatively simple for someone with domestic skills, although sometimes a little logic can often prevail. But there are a lot of people out there who couldn’t boil and egg for 3 minutes if you showed them how, but once again, these same people could probably do a lot of other stuff that the egg boiler couldn’t!

A lot of blokes in the west live at home with Mum & Dad and get waited on hand and foot until the day they marry. Then all those things that Mum used to do, i.e. washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning etc, are taken over by the new wifey. But if and when the ‘Man of the House’ finds himself living alone for the first time ever, either through divorce or loss, this chauvinistic type often finds that he’s pretty useless on all things domestic.

Those men who weren’t raised by mums who mollycoddled, and dared to leave home to live alone and independently for a while before settling down with the woman of their dreams, are far more self-sufficient and survivalist, and are probably the ones that have been giving good advice on how to keep bread from going stale :o

Aitch

A question is only easy if you know the answer, and everyone has their areas of speciality. A question such as this one is relatively simple for someone with domestic skills, although sometimes a little logic can often prevail. But there are a lot of people out there who couldn't boil and egg for 3 minutes if you showed them how, but once again, these same people could probably do a lot of other stuff that the egg boiler couldn't!

A lot of blokes in the west live at home with Mum & Dad and get waited on hand and foot until the day they marry. Then all those things that Mum used to do, i.e. washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning etc, are taken over by the new wifey. But if and when the 'Man of the House' finds himself living alone for the first time ever, either through divorce or loss, this chauvinistic type often finds that he's pretty useless on all things domestic.

Those men who weren't raised by mums who mollycoddled, and dared to leave home to live alone and independently for a while before settling down with the woman of their dreams, are far more self-sufficient and survivalist, and are probably the ones that have been giving good advice on how to keep bread from going stale :o

Aitch

I left home at the age of 16 and fended for myself since then (So no momsie or popsie) to hold my hand. But I did then and even now have better things to worry about ie how to put a roof over my head and survive without becoming a crimal or a junkie.

I must admit that I am one of those guys who is pretty terrible at domestic things but as you point out you cannot be good at everything.

Aitch I have to beg to differ. This is about using some basic common sense to figure out a problem. It is what separates us from the animals and has made us the top of the food chain. Or just some of us it seems :D This is along the same lines as why do you need to put on a coffee cup a warning that the contents may be hot ? UMMMM hello ! Why they have to put a warning on a bag of nuts that they might contain traces of nuts ? IT A BAG OF NUTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!

I just find it hard to understand :o

Simple wire will do the job, keep your wet clothes on the line in a hurricane and thousands of other things. Available in almost all hardware or building supply stores, sold in rolls by the kilo, galvanized or not, about 30 baht a kilo which will last for years unless you need it to hold the suspension together on your truck or car. Rubber bands, bag clips and twist ties pale in comparison. Long live bailing wire. Do not leave home or be at home without it.

Our frost free refrigerator dries out the brownies, which can be revived by 20 seconds in the microwave at low level. Brownies are much more important than bread, except for peanut butter toast with jam. I think it's Lotus that sells sells peanut butter with Smuckers jam mixed in.

Check to see if your refrig is frost-free, because those machines will suck a loaf of bread as dry as a hot rock in the desert

There is a Loi Kroh joke in there somewhere but I will avoid taking the bait and possible getting banned.

So, my answer to the question is to buy a half loaf of bread instead of a full one or get a bread buddy who you can have a sharing arrangement with. Making bigger sandwiches is also an option, the bread here is so full of air ( bait ) and full of suger that if you squash 3 or 4 slices together you should get a decent snack from that.

Next inane posting should be :

I have just put on 20 LBS from eating too much bread, any ideas as to how I can loose it ?

Cooking classes for Thais, I need to teach my GF to make toast.

My bread has blue bits in it, anyone know what they could be ?

Where can I buy hard bread because the butter I use is tearing it.

HXX

Check to see if your refrig is frost-free, because those machines will suck a loaf of bread as dry as a hot rock in the desert

There is a Loi Kroh joke in there somewhere but I will avoid taking the bait and possible getting banned.

So, my answer to the question is to buy a half loaf of bread instead of a full one or get a bread buddy who you can have a sharing arrangement with. Making bigger sandwiches is also an option, the bread here is so full of air ( bait ) and full of suger that if you squash 3 or 4 slices together you should get a decent snack from that.

Next inane posting should be :

I have just put on 20 LBS from eating too much bread, any ideas as to how I can loose it ?

Cooking classes for Thais, I need to teach my GF to make toast.

My bread has blue bits in it, anyone know what they could be ?

Where can I buy hard bread because the butter I use is tearing it.

HXX

"cooking classes for Thais"

Now this isn't as silly as it might sound. There are not a lot of Thai girls who don't know the first thing about cooking farang food (other than those who have been buddied up with a farang for a while)

Many simple things come to mind from.....

mashing potatoes (perhaps include cooking them

roast potatoes

roast chicken, pork, lamb etc...

making a pizza

making a cheese cake

making bread

cooking a steak "nua wua"

poaching eggs

bacon & egg pies

The list is infinite.

Edited by john b good

............. an airtight bag ; use the type with holes in.

"An airtight bag with holes in". That's a new one on me. Is this a little known scientific breakthrough?

Edited by Asmerom

"An airtight bag with holes in". That's a new one on me. Is this a little known scientific breakthrough?

Don't seal the bread in an airtight bag otherwise mold will form :D use the type with holes in

???? Why change the text :o

No actually quite common. You can find it on most convenience store shelves--right next to the packets of dehydrated water. :o