Searching A Decent, But Economic Hotel In Korat

vertigo4u

Hi

anyone can recommend a decent, but economic Hotel in - or around - Korat?

We are travelling by Car, so it must not be in a central Location ...

by the way : any recommendations what to do and to visit in and around Korat?

cheers

Edited by vertigo4u

The best hotel in Korat is the Sima Thani but thats quite expensive. Its very close to the mall. There are several others around the town that are a bit cheaper. Try Koratmap.com they have more details on there about hotels and places to visit etc.

The best hotel in Korat is the Sima Thani but thats quite expensive. Its very close to the mall. There are several others around the town that are a bit cheaper. Try Koratmap.com they have more details on there about hotels and places to visit etc.

I beg to differ. Pound for pound The Royal Princess is one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Cost : around 1,600 a night. Wonderful breakfast and evening buffet. A little outside but well sign posted.

If you want a cheap hotel which is fairly clean and easy to find I'd suggest the Thai hotel. Coming from Bangkok on Highway 2, follow this road into the city (rather than taking the bypass). You will eventually pass the Mall (on the left) and then come to a left turn for Khon Kaen and Highway 2 (near Big C). Instead of making the turn keep straight on along the main dual carriageway for another 300 yards and you will see the Thai Hotel on the left. There is plenty of parking. You'll want the slightly more upscale building behind the one at the front of the same name. This has aircon rooms from about 400 baht upwards, a lift and a coffee shop. It is not the Ritz but is okay. You can walk to the central area, Big C the market and so on. There are usually tuk tuks at the front of the hotel. Korat has plenty of better hotels at higher prices but I have used this one many times when I wanted to keep costs down. Have also stayed at the Sima Thani, which is good but quite a bit more expensive.

Things to do depend on personal tastes but might include visiting Phimai (Khymer ruins to the north), the zoo and the nearby pottery villages. If you elect to go on to Phimai, the Phimai Inn is another cheapie that gives very good value - this time with karaoke and swimming pool on site.

Edited by citizen33

I recently stayed at the Hotel Assadeng on Assadeng Road at Manat Road, about one long block north of the Night Bazaar inside the "old" city, i.e., inside the moat area. You can walk anywhere from there. Rates are 400 and 500 baht for standard rooms. The rooms are modern, very clean, in good shape, linen clean, and service very nice. Seems to be family run but not sure. Don't know the other room rates. About 40-50 rooms, I think. I'd stay there again.

Some very decent shopping (Klang Plaza 1 and 2), banks and Thai-Western restaurants, incuding the Dok Mai, which is a great food and meeting place on Mahattai Road. Some good walking streets too. The Mall is an 8 baht ride on the No. 8 pickup bus route.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Chaophaya Inn = 500 baht.

with a concrete slab for a matrass.( or it felt like it)

Funny thing happened there to me.

I went down to reception in the evening and complained about the matrass. They said that is all they had. I aked them if they ever got complaints from Farangs. "Oh yes" they said " All the time"........TiT

Chaophaya Inn = 500 baht.

with a concrete slab for a matrass.( or it felt like it)

Funny thing happened there to me.

I went down to reception in the evening and complained about the matrass. They said that is all they had. I aked them if they ever got complaints from Farangs. "Oh yes" they said " All the time"........TiT

:o 'Matrass' or mistress?

Hi

anyone can recommend a decent, but economic Hotel in - or around - Korat?

We are travelling by Car, so it must not be in a central Location ...

by the way : any recommendations what to do and to visit in and around Korat?

cheers

I kind of like the Sripattana Hotel, decent enough place to stay, good parking. Eateries outside if you want to go there, farang and Thai. http://www.sripatana.com/

FYI, believe it's built on the site of the old Lucky Seven Bar of yore.... Ah, the fond memories....

Mac

I would try the sabai hotel (beside George and Dragon) or Siri hotel for 500 baht.

If your budget is 1,000, try the Sabai Sabai (behind Makro) brand new, or Ratchapruek (center of the city) with swimming pool and popular bar (bar Nana).

If your budget is 1,500, Sima Thani or Dusit Princess (before Royal Princess).

The previous websites mentionned have all the info.

Have stayed at all major hotels in korat.In my opinion princess or grand best value for money.Not really much to do there if you don't like shopping!.If I recall correctly,Khao Yai park is about 45mins drive and worth a visit.

Stayed 3 days last week in the Dusit Princess. Here's my observations:

Price - Bt1600++ so a little under Bt1900 including breakfast.

Room - not bad, great water pressure and hot water, electric safe, TV with some watchable channels but no DVD. bed OK.

Amenities - very small shampoo and shower gel, getting more no problem. Two towels and again, more no problem.

TV - like most hotels, BBC, Discovery Channel, Star Movies (old but good selection) and Thai stuff.

Breakfast - ok, but western breakfast had no bacon, no proper sausages, though had chef for eggs and omelettes. Asian breakfast good. Juice - 2 kinds. Service non attentive.

Bar - nice, crap live music but cold beer though a little OTT at 120++ a bottle.

Room service - reasonable selection. You can order off menu (thai stuff I did). Some confusion over western portions but generally good if slow.

Chinese Restaurant - avoid at all costs. Not Chinese food - don't know what rubbish it was. Chef and staff should be sacked and restaurant closed. Way overpriced as well. Have told hotel so in email.

Overall - not bad but not worth Bt2k a day. I'd stay for Bt1.5 all in or less but not at 2k. Incidentals doubled our bill but that was our choice I agree. However, why stay in a nice place if not using facilities ? Spa ok but some things overpriced (as always).

As for what to do ? Shopping. The mall, decent Tesco and some extensive home furnishing type place out of town towards Bangkok that was very good.

Breakfast - ok, but western breakfast had no bacon, no proper sausages, though had chef for eggs and omelettes. Asian breakfast good. Juice - 2 kinds. Service non attentive.

Wow that's certainly changed. Used to be the 2nd best Farang breakfast I have had in a hotel Thailand ( best: Rembrandt, executive diner)

Change of name;change of service.

Edited by farangconnection

Wow that's certainly changed. Used to be the 2nd best Farang breakfast I have had in a hotel Thailand ( best: Rembrandt, executive diner)

Change of name;change of service.

The rate I got was the best they had at the time and paying with Visa I got breakfast included but I certainly would not have paid for it. With just a marginal increase in cost and removing some items, you could transform it into a reason why you would return to the hotel !

Two really worthwhile places to visit are the Korat Zoo (possibly the best Zoo I have ever visited) and the new Korat Fossil and Dinosaur Museum.

The museum is on the way to, and not far from the Zoo so it makes for a really good day out to combine the both in the same trip.

The new Korat Map that has just been published includes details and directions to get to these places.

HL :o

Two really worthwhile places to visit are the Korat Zoo (possibly the best Zoo I have ever visited) and the new Korat Fossil and Dinosaur Museum.

The museum is on the way to, and not far from the Zoo so it makes for a really good day out to combine the both in the same trip.

The new Korat Map that has just been published includes details and directions to get to these places.

Are you serious about the Korat zoo. This is the worst zoo I have ever seen in Thailand.

Barry

Are you serious about the Korat zoo. This is the worst zoo I have ever seen in Thailand.

Barry

Korat zoo the worst zoo in Thailand? Would have to disagree. Please explain why you think this.

The Gibbon 'open enclosure' is pretty much unique in the way that there are no bars used. Most Gibbons never touch the gound in their life time so there is no real need for metal bars. Just a small stream running around the area. If you visit the zoo early in the morning the Gibbons are singing. If Gibbons are unhappy they do not sing. Korat is the only zoo I have visited where the Gibbons sing.

The Hornbill area is also impressive, large areas for the birds to fly.

Gibbons and Hornbills numbers are dropping in Thailand and it is the job of places like korat Zoo to preserve these creatures.

Am interested why you think Korat zoo is the worst in Thailand. As I think the general consensus is that its one of the best zoos in the world.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I love it there. Not only the Gibbons but also the Chimps....I have never seen such a wonderfully laid out area for them to live and play.

The only thing that saddens me is the small amount of people who visit this zoo, I wonder how long they can go on as they must be operating at a loss.

Having been on a night safari around Singapore Zoo and seen all the poor animals so obviously drugged up to the eyeballs I do wonder also why Barry of Thailand has made that comment. I await with interest to see his reply.

You'll see right near the beginning of the thread that I also recommended Khorat zoo. As zoos go it is indeed well designed and gives the animals plenty of room. I could understand Barry's remark if he is opposed to zoos in principle, but he seems to suggest it is worse that most other institutions, which I don't think is fair :o