Brain Infection

krading

A friend of mine's Thai wife died recently in Korat BKK hospital after 2 days in ICU. The cause of death was stated as 'Brain Infection', a condition I seem to hear being diagnosed quite often. Her symptoms were a severe headache for 2 days during which she became unable to move her left leg. I'm no doctor but I would think from these symptons that it would be more likely that she had an aneurism which was leaking and putting pressure on the brain. They did 2 xrays but said there was nothing to be found. Is 'brain infection' a Thai medical term for the condition of "Buggered if we know"?

A friend of mine's Thai wife died recently in Korat BKK hospital after 2 days in ICU. The cause of death was stated as 'Brain Infection', a condition I seem to hear being diagnosed quite often. Her symptoms were a severe headache for 2 days during which she became unable to move her left leg. I'm no doctor but I would think from these symptons that it would be more likely that she had an aneurism which was leaking and putting pressure on the brain. They did 2 xrays but said there was nothing to be found. Is 'brain infection' a Thai medical term for the condition of "Buggered if we know"?

You may remember just over a year ago when Big, a famous Thai pop star died after 4 years in a coma following a car accident when his car plunged into a polluted canal resulting in a brain infection. Read story:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/12/10...al_30038479.php

By unhappy coincidence I have got to know a young Thai man also called Big who contracted a brain infection over a year ago and this has resulted in some lasting brain damage. His infection may have come from handling dogs in kennels. Very sad as he suffers from recurring seizures.

Yes there is such a thing as a Thai neurologist, I have met at least one that I can remember.

Yes there is such a thing as bacterial menningitis & I would expect to see it preety prolificly here in Thailand.

TB in the brain, although rare, does happen, and it must have been a horible ordeal.

Both meningitis (infection of the membrane that lines the brain and spinal cord) and encephalitis (infection of the brain tissue itself) are found in Thailand. There are a variety of causes, both bacterial and viral.

One worth mentioning is Japanese B encephalitis which is a viral disease transmitted by a day time biting mosquito. the resevoir of the virus is pigs, and the disease is found throughout SE Asia in rural areas where pigs are raised. There have been cases of it in farang residents and visitors. It is preventable by a vaccine and anyone living or travelling in Thailands, unless they are sticking to urban areas, would do well to get it; especially recommended for those living in rural areas where many families rear pigs.

The Cambodian Ministry of Helath just recently decided to include it in the routine childhood vaccinations due to a large number of documented child deaths from it.