Travel Adaptors

aceman

Can anyone please advise what would be the best course of action with regards to travel adaptors in Thailand.

I will be flying over in the next few weeks and wanted some advice on the following;

Should I purchase a travel adaptor from the UK to bring over to Thailand?

Which one would i need?

Do i need to be concerned with voltage differences between the UK and Thailand which would then make a difference to the adaptor I purchase?

Thanks

Loads of good adaptors here at Fortune IT , Panthip etc.

35bt for standard, 55bt for ones with a switch.

Will take UK & Aus 3 pin plugs, plus a few others I should imagine.

What voltage dif? :o Not worth worrying about....... 220-240v.

All my Aus electronics work fine in Thailand.

35bt for standard, 55bt for ones with a switch.

Will take UK & Aus 3 pin plugs, plus a few others I should imagine.

What voltage dif? :o Not worth worrying about....... 220-240v.

All my Aus electronics work fine in Thailand.

Thanks for the advice!!!

inter.jpg

A couple of caveats:-

• Using these adaptors transposes live and neutral relative to the UK, not really an issue with modern appliances, but it puts the fuse in the neutral line.
  • Many of the adaptors do not carry the ground through (they have only 2 pins), only an issue if your appliance needs ground.
  • The openings are unshuttered and bigger than regular outlets, don't leave the adaptors plugged in with small fingers around.

No issues with voltage or frequency :o

Edited by Crossy

Can anyone please advise what would be the best course of action with regards to travel adaptors in Thailand.

I will be flying over in the next few weeks and wanted some advice on the following;

Should I purchase a travel adaptor from the UK to bring over to Thailand?

Which one would i need?

Do i need to be concerned with voltage differences between the UK and Thailand which would then make a difference to the adaptor I purchase?

Thanks

Before I left Canada I bought a travel adapter kit (i think it was kensington or belkin. can't remember) and it's work without any probglems. Bought come cheap ones here in MBK and well.. I lost a router and a set of Sony Wireless Headphones.

I would recommend you buy one from home.

Also look at the adapter itself. For example my laptop has 100-240v 50-60hz so it works in Canada and Thailand without any problems. As for the router that I lost it was 120v and 60hz only.

Also look at the adapter itself. For example my laptop has 100-240v 50-60hz so it works in Canada and Thailand without any problems. As for the router that I lost it was 120v and 60hz only.

OP is coming from the UK so there are no issues with voltage and frequency (UK is 230V 50Hz).

Cheap and reasonable (I wouldn't use them for that 3kW kettle) plug adaptors are available all over.

EDIT For our US / Canuk friends. Buy a GOOD somewhat over-sized transformer, I am aware of several tourists who have fried equipment when using cheapo 'electronic' converters.

Edited by Crossy

I bought a 'worldwide' adaptor in Sainsburys 10 years ago. It cost a fiver.

Well, they're 35 baht now, time for a new one? :D:D

Best quality adaptors are made in Taiwan, the brand name escapes me due 'oldtimers disease'

I think it starts with "W". :o

edit........ http://international-electrical-supplies.c...g-adapters.html

see the info about step-up transformers

edit ..... here it is.... 'Wonpro'

Wonpro_Universal_travel_adapter_w_safety_shutter.jpg

With safety shutter to keep busy little fingers out. :D

As you have posted in this forum I will assume you are talking about power supply leads (cables) for use with a laptop? If so most modern laptop power supplies are now built for universal use, should be marked on the PSU unit 110-240 Volts 50/60Hz - if your PSU is so marked you will have no problems wherever you go.

Next point, most laptop PSUs are double insulated and are only supplied (from manufactor) with a twin core power lead, so it won't 'need' an earth conductor. I have an IBM laptop that bucks the trend and expects an earth connection via the 'cloverleaf' style connector on the mains lead, but as detailed on this forum in depth - many Thai electrical outlets do not offer an earth connection so any exposed metal parts on your laptop end up 'floating' at about 110 Volts AC, and the low leakage current will give you a mild buzz but is unlikely to fry you.

The point that is getting to, is that if you plan to be a regular visitor to Thailand or other countries that use 'different' electrical connectors, why not obtain a spare mains lead, cut the heavy UK style plug off and get a more suitable (smaller, lighter, two pin) plug fitted? For Thailand I have both two pin flat and two pin round depending on the quaility of the socket I encounter. When I am travelling light I generally only take the two pin flat lead, works in most places, hotels, lounges and in-flight too.

Now I've written all that, I expect the case in point to one of the large plug-in transformers that presents you with a 9/12 Volt supply. Heavy things to cart round while travelling, after a few trips you start looking at more international products.

HTH