Motorbike Checkpoint - Nanai Near Jungceylon

DrDave

It used to be that the occasional police roadblocks in Patong for checking licenses, registration and helmets were pretty much limited to the intersection of Bangla and the beach road (to catch unsuspecting tourists who had just rented a bike), as well as the southern foot of Nanai road, late at night.

Today, however, I noticed that they've got one setup at the intersection of Nanai and Soi Banzaan (entrance to Jungceylon) in the middle of the day, and they were doing a brisk business. It appeared that they had hit the motherlode there, as many people don't wear a helmet on Nanai thinking they won't be stopped.

So - if you're cruising the backstreets of Patong and not wearing a brain bucket, or don't have a proper license on your person, you just might find yourself making an involuntary contribution to someone's "new house fund".

It used to be that the occasional police roadblocks in Patong for checking licenses, registration and helmets were pretty much limited to the intersection of Bangla and the beach road (to catch unsuspecting tourists who had just rented a bike), as well as the southern foot of Nanai road, late at night.

Today, however, I noticed that they've got one setup at the intersection of Nanai and Soi Banzaan (entrance to Jungceylon) in the middle of the day, and they were doing a brisk business. It appeared that they had hit the motherlode there, as many people don't wear a helmet on Nanai thinking they won't be stopped.

So - if you're cruising the backstreets of Patong and not wearing a brain bucket, or don't have a proper license on your person, you just might find yourself making an involuntary contribution to someone's "new house fund".

They did not say there long just went past and they had gone.

These check point happen all over the island, a few hours and they're gone again.

IMO really no point in a post like this.

No point in letting people know where a particular checkpoint is being set up?

I disagree.

Thanks poster, although I always where my hemet in Patong, it's always good to know where the relatively new checkpoints are.

I agree that its pointless to post the location every time there's a checkpoint setup.

The point of this post, however, was that some areas that have long been considered by many to be free from police checks may no longer be so, as the police seem to be casting their net a bit wider.

This was just a heads up that its a good idea to wear a helmet anywhere in town, if not at all times. If nothing else, it could save you a few baht.

I just love how banzaan is private property when they want to collect parking fines (or a building owner refuses to give up his share hence the dumb building that sticks out) yet its a public road when they want to collect traffic offence fines..

Surely its one or the other..

I just love how banzaan is private property when they want to collect parking fines (or a building owner refuses to give up his share hence the dumb building that sticks out) yet its a public road when they want to collect traffic offence fines..

The OP implied the checkpoint was on Nanai, a government road. Read the OP correctly before submitting such fatuous rhetoric.

The point of this post, however, was that some areas that have long been considered by many to be free from police checks may no longer be so, as the police seem to be casting their net a bit wider.
Sorry, I did not read it that way. And I do agree with you there.

The OP implied the checkpoint was on Nanai, a government road. Read the OP correctly before submitting such fatuous rhetoric.

Fatuous rhetoric!! Not sure what that is but doesn't sound very nice. Anyway Patriot, FYI when the police set up checkpoints at the intersections either end of Soi Banzaan they don't just stand and stop people in Nanai Road or the new road behind Jungceylon but will pull people about to leave Soi Banzaan or just having turned into it and Soi Banzaan is supposedly a private road now or at least the bit opposite Banzaan market is as you now get charged to park in the road there.