Kick Boxing Lessons.

Richb2004v2

A new gym opened in my town this week. I went tonight to a kick boxing class there. It turned out there was an instructor and one other customer. This was fine, but they wanted 1050 Baht for two hours, one hour of which I spent sat down doing nothing as the other guy was being instructed. The time I did do something was spent kicking the one heavy bag they had and the pads. This seems a little steep to me. What is the going rate for a couple of hours one to one? The instructors English was very bad and my Thai worse which made it very difficult. Should I look elsewhere?

A new gym opened in my town this week. I went tonight to a kick boxing class there. It turned out there was an instructor and one other customer. This was fine, but they wanted 1050 Baht for two hours, one hour of which I spent sat down doing nothing as the other guy was being instructed. The time I did do something was spent kicking the one heavy bag they had and the pads. This seems a little steep to me. What is the going rate for a couple of hours one to one? The instructors English was very bad and my Thai worse which made it very difficult. Should I look elsewhere?

Where are you?

It sounds very steep to me. If you are in Bangkok (or Pattaya) you could go to Fairtex camp and get a really well structured programme and work with excellent trainers for less than that.

where was that? 300-400 baht should be max to join in a class at any of the gyms around Bangkok

And this is the operative word...class...not one on one...

THB 525/hour for one on one instruction seems reasonable to me, lets face it "personal trainers" in the bigger gyms around the country are charging THB 800/hour to teach people how to lift weights..

Now if you had paid for two hours, one on one, and didnt get your two hours worth, then would say you have reason to complain...

Lets face it...smaller establishments with decent excercise equipment are are going to charge a bit more, same with personal instruction...

The new gym in Ban Chang is cheaper on both fronts than one of the bigger gym chains in the country...

Bigger gym chain

Monthly sub - THB 1800 (this is not the lifetime membership thing)

Personal trainer - THB 800/hour

Ban Chang

Monthly sub - THB 1600

Personal trainer - Muay Thai - THB 525/hour

Ok first of all if you are going to pay 1000b for 2 hours of personal training the trainers english has to be near perfect, otherwise what are you paying for? Some farmer to grunt and point at what you are supposed to do? How does he explain how to do the technique correctly? No you got robbed. This is one of my pet peeves here. Forget about the fact you sat half the training out. Find a class that has a bunch of students for a cheaper price, forget personal training. Wait what am I saying..... hmm for 1000 baht for 2 hours I will come to you and train you, my english is perfect.

Apparently the guy that was doing the training used to do the same from his house for 300baht, but since starting work at the gym the price has been increased. I didn't get that much out of the exercise as I couldn't understand the guy. My fault of course not speaking much Thai. The other English speaking guy was helping out. Without him I would have been lost.

It wasn't actually one on one that I was after. I would be quite happy with group classes, if thats possible with this sort of thing.

The gym is great and I'll stick with that, and I will check out the kick boxing/muay thai gym in Map Ta Phut.

I'm glad its not just me. I thought maybe I was being tight.

I'm in Ban Chang, near Rayong. I told the instructer it was way to much. He informed me that Fairtex charges 1500 Baht. I'll not be going again anyway.

For that kind of money, did you at least get to kick him before you paid him?

..... hmm for 1000 baht for 2 hours I will come to you and train you, my english is perfect.

ah but do you have a work permit... :o

Yes I do

To teach Muay Thai ??

Yes I do, it falls under the umbrella of my role in the company.

Edited by Sabum

..... hmm for 1000 baht for 2 hours I will come to you and train you, my english is perfect.

Yes I do

To teach Muay Thai ??

Yes I do

Interesting....as would have thought it would be a "restricted" occupation in Thailand...not taking the p*ss, just interesting that a farang can get a work permit to do it...

Yes I do

To teach Muay Thai ??

Yes I do, it falls under the umbrella of my role in the company.

Interesting....as would have thought it would be a "restricted" occupation in Thailand...not taking the p*ss, just interesting that a farang can get a work permit to do it...

Apparently the guy that was doing the training used to do the same from his house for 300baht, but since starting work at the gym the price has been increased. I didn't get that much out of the exercise as I couldn't understand the guy. My fault of course not speaking much Thai. The other English speaking guy was helping out. Without him I would have been lost.

It wasn't actually one on one that I was after. I would be quite happy with group classes, if thats possible with this sort of thing.

The gym is great and I'll stick with that, and I will check out the kick boxing/muay thai gym in Map Ta Phut.

One on one in Muay Thai doesn't really pay off cmopared to a true muay Thai gym, as a true muay Thai gym you get one on one time with the trainer anyhow. Usually a class of say 5-15 people, there are stations, you all start off warming up, and then there are a couple of trainers where you do say 3 rounds one on one with the trainer and learn techniques with the pad man; there might be another trainer supervising several pairs of aspiring fighters who spar eachother, and then the rest of the people are doing bag work, again a trainer might glance over; the idea benig you use the bag to practise what you learned in sparring and with the pad man to get nice crisp kicks, punches, elbows, knees and combos flowing.

Not many people could go 60 minutes round after round with a pad man, if you are at that level fitness wise, then you would still need the technique time and repitition for kicks etc against a heavy bag and if you are at that level fitness and technique wise, then probably you are already ready to go into the ring against Saenchai or someone.

Usually in a class, the sparring is controlled and you get paired with smoeone similar skill/height etc or different for soem reason, and it is all good fun and you can try to piece together what you know.

Champion muay Thai fighters and serious students; even in boxing as well, most of them come through a class system and it works. Plus cheaper and more fun ;-0

Where are you?

It sounds very steep to me. If you are in Bangkok (or Pattaya) you could go to Fairtex camp and get a really well structured programme and work with excellent trainers for less than that.

How much do the trainers at Fairtex Pattaya charge?

Where are you?

How much do the trainers at Fairtex Pattaya charge?

I can't remember the actual prices because I haven't been there for a while, but last time I did they were reasonable.

It's a very professional set up and a smart location with a range of options from an hour to a week long residential stay.

Whatever you are looking for its well worth a visit and when I've been there they've always been very approachable.

Not withstanding the plummeting pound (if you are English) you can also pick up the Fairtex gear at a good price and you know it is the genuine stuff.

If you shopped around I'm sure you could find a cheaper gym to train, but I really liked the professional set up.

P.s. I don't work for Fairtex :o

One on one in Muay Thai doesn't really pay off cmopared to a true muay Thai gym, as a true muay Thai gym you get one on one time with the trainer anyhow. Usually a class of say 5-15 people, there are stations, you all start off warming up, and then there are a couple of trainers where you do say 3 rounds one on one with the trainer and learn techniques with the pad man; there might be another trainer supervising several pairs of aspiring fighters who spar eachother, and then the rest of the people are doing bag work, again a trainer might glance over; the idea benig you use the bag to practise what you learned in sparring and with the pad man to get nice crisp kicks, punches, elbows, knees and combos flowing.

Not many people could go 60 minutes round after round with a pad man, if you are at that level fitness wise, then you would still need the technique time and repitition for kicks etc against a heavy bag and if you are at that level fitness and technique wise, then probably you are already ready to go into the ring against Saenchai or someone.

Usually in a class, the sparring is controlled and you get paired with smoeone similar skill/height etc or different for soem reason, and it is all good fun and you can try to piece together what you know.

Champion muay Thai fighters and serious students; even in boxing as well, most of them come through a class system and it works. Plus cheaper and more fun ;-0

Thanks for that. That description is exactly what I envisaged and what I thought I was going to, but wasn't sure if thats how it worked. I am hoping that the other gym will offer this, although I am told it is a hardcore Thai gym with guys kicking trees and stuff :o . Hopefully it won't be too hardcore. :D

• 8 months later...

You got burned!

You need to join a Muy Thai training center and pay a monthly rate. You won't learn much paying for a few days of training! You might want to purchase some instructional MT DVDs. The Duke Rufous series from World Martial Arts is good. Paul Viele in New York is the owner. Also, the Rob Kaman series from Panther Productions (Century Martial Arts) is good. Buy your own banana bag (at Faitex, etc.) for striking practice at your home and then join a center for instruction. Train on your own and watch the DVDs during the time you are not in the training center.

Or you could go to Mynamar or Cambodia to study Burmese Kickboxing or Khun Boran Khmer (Pradal Surey). :)

Edited by MUYTHAI