Jehovahs Witnesses In Thailand

ClaytonSeymour

"God is just an imaginary friend for grownups. .."

Wow,you really believe there is no God?I'm not picking on you,but it seems to me that humans are way to intelligent to have just "Happened",and i certainly did not come from a monkey or a fish... :o And as for quoting an actor...I'm not even going to go there.... :D But to each their own,thats what makes the world go 'round. :D

However,i would have to say that scientology seems a little to wacky,what with aliens coming in their mothership to take away Tom cruise.... :o

Is it any more wacky than a guy who could walk on water, turn water into wine or feed 50,000 with a couple of fish and a few loaves of bread ??... :D

"He's not the messiah.....hes a very naughty boy"

Probably not,but the next highly educated professor to tell me i came from a big bang...I'm just gonna go mad........ :D

The "big bang" is true isnt it ?...or are you a product of immaculate conception ??... :D

No no,just checked with mum... :wai::D

An Aussie friend of mine invited the 2 ladies from the JWs into his house. Sat them down on his sofa, and sat between them. "Now then ladies what shall we talk about?" He said while at the same time putting an arm around each of their shoulders. He was never pestered again.

Edited by Mosha

Wow,you really believe there is no God?I'm not picking on you,but it seems to me that humans are way to intelligent to have just "Happened",and i certainly did not come from a monkey or a fish... :o And as for quoting an actor...I'm not even going to go there.... :D But to each their own,thats what makes the world go 'round. :D

Yeap....personnally I find it more plausible and the probability greater that mans development as an "intelligent" species came about due to an ET from somewhere in the universe landing on earth one day, after getting lost on his way home from the chippy.....and ended up playing hide the sausage with a monkey/fish or some other sub-species that happened to be running around...

I personally dont have a problem with anyone who is religious or believes in a "higher" being....What I object to is said persons trying to push it down my throat...saying their versions of events is correct...mine is wrong and I am going to hel_l....but suppose one day we will find out who is right and who is wrong..

Yes you did, stop playing. Dont let a little thing like science get in the way of personal belief eh?

If not interested,no reason not to be rspesctful and just say "no thank you".

You are quite correct of course, but the problem with the Jehovahs and the Morons is that they wont take no for an answer, hence it generally ends up you having to tell them to p*ss off....

The one I always found works with them is telling them I am Roman Catholic (I am actually Agnostic), seems to scare them off for some reason... :o

If you really dont want them calling a second time you can ask them to put your address down as a 'do not call again" and you will be left alone.however after a period of time they may call to see if different owners now live at the address,at least i have found this is how it works in the west.

I found in the UK the best way was as soon as you recognised them close the door without saying a word!! They didn't seem to come back either. As A child I had to read the bible so am quite knowlegable about the "Christian way" that is why I choose to ignore them.

I remember one encounter. I was painting our house with my Dad, and two JW's approached us. My Dad stopped them mid stream...by asking..."Can you paint"?.....He followed that with "If you grab a couple of brushes, we'll talk all day"

They left.

My favorite comeback for ANY brand of religious zealot who is bent on converting me from my evil, godless, heathen ways is a line spoken by Morgan Freeman in the 2003 Stephen King movie, Dreamcatcher;

My fav is saying:

"

ME: Jesus died for our sins right?

Lune: Yes

ME: Then if we don't sin that means Jesus died for nothing

Lune: hmmmh hhhhh

"

seams to throw them off every time.

Who's the USA based religous group who send their sons over to preach as an initiation rite of passage into adult hood - they ride around in pairs on bicycles (always wear hats). Used to only be in bangkok, but I have seen them now several times in Loei and other North East towns?

Who's the USA based religous group who send their sons over to preach as an initiation rite of passage into adult hood - they ride around in pairs on bicycles (always wear hats). Used to only be in bangkok, but I have seen them now several times in Loei and other North East towns?

Mormons

What's bad about them? Are you scared of them?

There's something bad about anyone who would attempt to preach & push religious doctrine on those who know better. No, I'm not scared of them & they always p_ss off when I order them to do so. I'll give them credit where it's due though, they've certainly got bottle, knock on the wrong door, catch the wrong person at the wrong time etc. & remember, these people refuse blood transfusions. Though I suppose if you're 'religiously insane', bottle hasn't got anything to do with it.

In Singapore they are banned - they are considered prejudicial to public welfare & order. Sadly, it would appear that in Thailand they are not.

The good news is that whilst their numbers have increased, their growth rates are on the decline; from 8% in the mid 1970's to only 2/3% since 1999. I expect we'll see that trend continue.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

If any of the real old ex-pats are around or maybe someone has heard of the incident, would they help my memory?

About thirty to thirty-five years ago, two men took an undeveloped rollof film to a local developer. When the Thai owner of the shop saw these two taking pix of one and another sitting on the head of a Buddha statue in the ruins of a local temple, he naturally blew the whistle. These two were let out of prison six months later and fled Thailand. My question is, were they Mormons or?? I think so, but not sure. Anybody???

Very easy to take the "piss" out of people coming to your door to see if your interested in learning about the bible.I would imagine it would take courage to do this work.If not interested,no reason not to be rspesctful and just say "no thank you".

It is quite hard to be respectful when 2 to 4 times a month I had to stop what I was doing, get dressed, run down a couple flights of stairs and opened the door to JWs but my "no thanks" was still reluctantly respectful.

This was back in NY.

Being a regular bicyclist, I have seen a number these types around Chiang Mai.

But back to the OP's question, I lived in the same GH 1 1/2 years in Chiang Mai and right next to it was a JW Temple (I guess). In fact, the Thai owner's mother who has been long dead was a JW and willed that part of the property to the JWs. A number of them used to stay several months at the GH. They primarily came from Japan.

Edited by vagabond48

Recently I saw a movie that had a line:

"What were you doing, casing the house like a Jehovah Witness?"

I remembered this thread and thought it was pretty funny.

It's both funny & reality; when you see them congregating at the end of a street - you just know that they are Jehovahs Witnesses. :o

Very easy to take the "piss" out of people coming to your door to see if your interested in learning about the bible.I would imagine it would take courage to do this work.If not interested,no reason not to be rspesctful and just say "no thank you".

It is quite hard to be respectful when 2 to 4 times a month I had to stop what I was doing, get dressed, run down a couple flights of stairs and opened the door to JWs but my "no thanks" was still reluctantly respectful.

This was back in NY.

Cancelling the "get dressed" part before you opened the door would also be usefull for keeping them away. :o

If not interested,no reason not to be rspesctful and just say "no thank you".

You are quite correct of course, but the problem with the Jehovahs and the Morons is that they wont take no for an answer, hence it generally ends up you having to tell them to p*ss off....

The one I always found works with them is telling them I am Roman Catholic (I am actually Agnostic), seems to scare them off for some reason... :o

where they are polite enough to accept the "No thank you " has nothing to do with you being polite. if you are rude just cause they then you have the peoblem. and in all groups there are those that cant take a no as a no. so you be the bigger person and be nice. if you can.

Recently I saw a movie that had a line:

"What were you doing, casing the house like a Jehovah Witness?"

I remembered this thread and thought it was pretty funny.

It's both funny & reality; when you see them congregating at the end of a street - you just know that they are Jehovahs Witnesses. :o

Maybe the moderators should combine this thread with the "Why So Much Intolerance?" thread.

"He's not the messiah.....hes a very naughty boy"

:o:D:D

I used to politely say I'm late for a blood transfusion that might save a life.

Dave

as a none JW this one gets me when people kick up a stink about this. when you see a doctor you want to chose what they put in you. but when a JW wants to do the same thing with blood then you all go crazy. but when there are many choices out there that can be used instead of blood then why cant they. thats right blood is cheap to get and dotors have spreed this crap that only blood can save them. what a load of shit. do some research before you close your minds. then maybe you will learn more than the shit you read or are told by the media and the doctors. thry these www dot noblood dot org and you will see by the stand it now allows you to have choices " In addition to Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds, some patients reject blood transfusions for other reasons, such as concern about aids, hepatitis, and other blood-borne infections, or imunne system reactions. As a result, bloodless surgery and transfusion alternatives are more commonplace than in the past. However, the term 'bloodless surgery' does not literally mean surgery where blood is not transfused. Also, in relation to Jehovah's Witnesses and blood transfusion, bloodless surgery may at times employ techniques and medical applications contrary to their beliefs.

Thousands of physicians around the world have expressed a willingness to respect patients' preferences and provide bloodless treatment. There are about 200 hospitals in the world featuring bloodless medicine and surgery programmes as a special service for adult and pediatric patients who wish to avoid or limit blood transfusions, or to avoid treatment contrary to the Watchtower organization's blood doctrine. Whatever the reasons for their choice, bloodless surgery has been successfully performed even in such invasive operations as open heart surgery and total hip replacements.

The pensylvania hospital is one example of a medical institution with a bloodless medicine programme. Medical centers utilizing bloodless medicine programmes are available in a number of countries; in the United States, there are over one hundred of these facilities"

oh well thats my rant.

hope it makes you think

Nope, can't be bothered to listen to their nonsense.

That was always the case when we were kids - my mum would never answer the door. Nowadays, I usually tell them to p_ss off.

never , or only when a JW rang... and why be so rude to people and to something you probably know nothing about

just because they choose their unique way, it an excuse to act like an ingrate?

would you say that to a monk?

respect please- did your mother teach you that?

It is quite hard to be respectful when 2 to 4 times a month I had to stop what I was doing, get dressed, run down a couple flights of stairs and opened the door to JWs but my "no thanks" was still reluctantly respectful. This was back in NY.

Cancelling the "get dressed" part before you opened the door would also be usefull for keeping them away. :D

:D:o

Edited by vagabond48

Q:- What's the difference between a Jehova's Witness and a Millwall supporter?

A:- When you answer the door, the Millwall supporter tells you to F*** off.

Thanks. Being a Millwall supporter myself, it's nice for us to get a mention now and again, even if it is in reference to our negative, violent history...

But, if a Bilble basher came a 'knockin on our door in sarf east London then the mandatory "millwall brick" would have to be administered forthwith and without delay...

"Who's your saviour now, Jehova boy?"

Edited by Geekfreaklover