Cebu

grtaylor

After nineteen years working in BKK, its looks like I could be relocating to Cebu in the Philippines to work in July, which is a hel_l of a shock after so long. I guess, psychologically, I thought I would never be leaving, but, having decided to change jobs and resigning, I find there's nothing at all coming up in my field at the moment in BKK.

I hope the move would be temporary (maybe up to five years) as it would then almost be time to retire, and I have property here to come back to.

Any perspectives on what life is like there? The salary package is not as good, but has been described by another farang guy there as "comfortable".

Everything I've heard so far reminds me of the T-shirt slogan "same same - but different".

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Well, I have only visited Cebu but I think you'll want to go local:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/index.php?act=idx

Thanks Jingthing - I did find that Forum, and have tried to register, so far unsuccessfully, so I can't see all the available sections, and can't post! No response from the forum admin . . . . .

I guess I asked here as I'd like some feedback from someone who has experienced both, not just someone who is a Cebu expat without experience of Thailand.

Thanks for the link anyway.

i haven't lived in cebu but have travelled there and the surrounding islands a lot. (btw, i'm a filipino working/living in th)

cebu is at the heart of the visayan islands. if you're looking for leisure activities, diving is the rage there. it's very close to other magnificent islands popular to marine eco tourism (e.g. bohol, boracay, palawan, negros etc).

can't say much about day-to-day life. all i can say is the people there are generally friendly. you'll also find that cebuanos will be more conversant in english than in the national language, tagalog.

hope this helps.