Insane Big Sport Bike Prices!

karlos

'fully registered 900 blade for a price that this forum would have you believe was impossible !!'

Well share the news. then this forum which includes you would then know 'what is possible' with a bit of searching and prodding.

otherwise............impossible !! :D:o:D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or sell ya 150, i presume its a cbr, add a bit to the pot and get ya self an Er6 then pay about 6,000 a month on the finance. easy.....................uuuummmmmmmm maybe :D

(mind you if it was that easy why am i not doing it...... oh yes i remember i'm a cheap charley :D )

Glad to see you ain't gonna get bitter and twisted about it.. Think that the situation is much better now anyhow.. The new ER6n is a large enough cc bike to enable guys to 'tour' on it.. Runs to 'bike weeks' and all over Thailand should be posible with far more comfort than you could expect from a 150cc machine..

My mate who's picking up his ER6 next week was just about ready to pony up for the Triumph Street Triple.. (A more interesting and fun bike IMO) But for the sort of use it's gonna get he couldn't rationalise paying more than double the cost to buy one. The Kawa will probably suit his needs 90% of the time.. In the West the Kawa is seen as a bit of an entry level all rounder and would never be compared with the Triumph.. But here in Thailand a new 650cc twin puts you firmly in the top 10% of the biking community and has heaps of 'street cred' In fact I won't be suprised if it generates more interest than my Duc.. Mainly cos Thais know what a Kawasaki is... and haven't a clue what D U C A T I even spells :o ..

As for the Porsche/Audi thing.. Well I just hate four door cars.. Unfortunately here 2 doors are rarer than hen's teeth and anything slightly sporty costs ''an arm and a leg'' So now trying to find an old Mk2 Golf or Peugeot GTi. These are cheap to buy here ( though rare ) and there are hundreds of performance goodies available cheaply on the net... This seems to be the only way to get something sporty and reasonbly priced.. There's no way I can live with a Jazz or Yaris no matter how much you can modify them... So until then it's 2 door hilux all the way.. Depreciation is a lot less here for cars than the West but I can't get my head round 8mil baht for an M3 etc.... Noooooooooooooo !

1.Man up with the cash..

2.Settle for second best

3.Wait in hope for things to change

4.Return to farang land and buy the bike you want and dream about living in Thailand

5.Forget the whole thing

6 Find a bargain..

I regularly find deals that make peoples head spin.. You just have to work at it..

Recently picked up a fully registered 900 blade for a price that this forum would have you believe was impossible !!

Thaicbr, its a raider. LOL Cheap Charlie......I'd rather think of myself as sensible charlie. Just this once tho :D .

Pdaz, I don't have time to be bitter and twisted over this...THERES PLENTY OF OTHER THINGS IN MY LIFE TO BE BITTER AND TWISTED OVER.

Livinlos, enlighten us, whatcha pay for it?

'fully registered 900 blade for a price that this forum would have you believe was impossible !!'

Well share the news. then this forum which includes you would then know 'what is possible' with a bit of searching and prodding.

As its a machine I may wish to sell in the future I will keep that off the forum.

Sending you a PM tho.

As its a machine I may wish to sell in the future I will keep that off the forum.

Sending you a PM tho.

Just cos u bought it at a song, doesnt mean you have to sell it for one....afterall, look at all the improvements you made :D Promise we won't tell anyone? :D

So now trying to find an old Mk2 Golf or Peugeot GTi.

Front wheel drive tho isnt it ?? I have a type 3 Golf here (non GTI / VR6 tho :o ) but for me its not a FWD hot hatch just isnt a sports car.. I would look for an old 325 and work with that as a base, BMW rear wheel drive much more appealing to slide about..

I'm a big fan of RWD cars too.. But very limited selection of anything decent and worse what is available has a f***ing auto gearbox.. Don't know what posseses Thais to buy a sporty car with a 'slush' box.. So pretty much all the BMW's and Nissan/Toyotas etc are out of the question for me..

However the FWD hatchs are more often equipped with a manual box. That's my reasoning... Plus despite my preferance for large horsepower RWD's I have to admt that around town the FWD lot are more nimble and practical..

Well how I see it is you will pay what you feel it's going to be worth for you.

Q? How much joy and happiness will the bike give you? Will you grow tired of it after a little while or will you enjoy it for a long time? Will it improve your life?

And if it does hurt to buy it, e.g. you have to save or pay in installments or sacrifice your lifestyle for a while you normally have much more pleasure of owning it than if you just slash out some easy cash from your account. Now I come from Europe and lot of cool things are cheaper there, however those things we feel are very cool down here, is pretty uncool up there, so people buy at the limit of what they feel is reasonably possible anyway, how many ER6 buyers would actually buy it in the West? Here in Thailand import bikes are extremely overpriced we all agree upon that, but if you want it bad enough and you enjoy life much more when you get it, it gives you value for your money. You cannot measure happiness and life quality in money.

I also think as previously posted, why do we think we have a God given right to get all we want down here cheap? I mean life in general is very cheap here, and we do have some perks which are expensive, such as bikes. Now compare life with back home, could you comfortably afford your current lifestyle back there? In most cases hel_l no... So what is the BIG deal that something is expensive? Sacrifice some lifestyle for a while and you can afford it, it just has to do with how much you enjoy doing it compared to what you sacrifice for it.

Cheers Bard

I also think as previously posted, why do we think we have a God given right to get all we want down here cheap? I mean life in general is very cheap here, and we do have some perks which are expensive, such as bikes. Now compare life with back home, could you comfortably afford your current lifestyle back there? In most cases hel_l no... So what is the BIG deal that something is expensive? Sacrifice some lifestyle for a while and you can afford it, it just has to do with how much you enjoy doing it compared to what you sacrifice for it.

Cheers Bard

Very true too..

Because the cost of living in Thailand is gerally lower plus what I save on Insurance, fuel, housing, entertainment and more importantly income tax, National Insurance and Council tax my Duc was basically free.... If I had still been in the UK I would have had to give several times what the Duc cost to the good old HM Revenue Dept for justone years tax... So for me and other 'tax exiles' there is a good excuse to treat myself once in a while.. As they say 'you can't take it with you'

Other solution is to just party a little less.. Put some of the money you would have spent on a 'ride' into actually buying a ride.. If ya get my meaning :o

Other solution is to just party a little less.. Put some of the money you would have spent on a 'ride' into actually buying a ride.. If ya get my meaning :D

LOL! I like the way you think :D

I hate debt (espcially these days) and throwing down cash for an FZ6 would have been a stretch so I bought the ER-6n for cash and still get to party and ride, and ride and party! :o

Secret Soi here I come! :D:wai::D

Hehe then again people who earns foreign currency might get a fantastic bargain by debt if they release the Baht to the Dollar again to boost tourism as they did once before. Then you might get 45+ baht a dollar and the bike gets much cheaper when you pay it down then right now, we never know... There is ups and downs with every choice...

:o

Cheers Bard

TY T, & they tell me that the pianio makers are just around the corner somewhere (yammie) ?

LOL, is there anything that Yamaha DOESN'T make? :o

Oddly I couldn't find a map, but here's the address and phone number:

let_visit.gif

Bangkok

TYM Marketing Co.,Ltd.Yamaha Rider’s Club Branch

55/61 Ratchadapisek Rd.,

Dindang, Dindang, Bangkok 10400

Tel : (662) 640-6990-1 Fax : (662) 640-6993-4

Pretty easy to find- it's behind and to the right of the Esplanade Mall on Ratchadapisek.

Just pretend like you're going to park in the mall but drive through to the back and you can't miss the Yamaha Big Bike shop.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks for that....your busy googling for me and I'm googling for another TV member :o .

Its a long way from here to there....& I really want to go....but I don't want to go......I have enuf money to buy one....but then I will be eating nothing but noodles until I get paid again....some months from now.

I guess the one good thing about waiting would be, I could check out all the mods you blokes do, sample the sounds of your pipes etc & then select the best stuff. Impatient person I am. One very sad sorry individual actaully, but thats another story. I'm wondering if I can actually go up there for a look and keep my hands in my pockets - straight jacket time :D

THANKYOU T.

Its a long way from here to there....& I really want to go....but I don't want to go......I have enuf money to buy one....but then I will be eating nothing but noodles until I get paid again....some months from now.

I guess the one good thing about waiting would be, I could check out all the mods you blokes do, sample the sounds of your pipes etc & then select the best stuff. Impatient person I am. One very sad sorry individual actaully, but thats another story. I'm wondering if I can actually go up there for a look and keep my hands in my pockets - straight jacket time :D

LOL! :o

My missus actually encouraged me to get the FZ6 and I told her the same thing- that if I got it but we'd have to eat MaMa for the next year or so! :D

• 4 months later...
TY T, & they tell me that the pianio makers are just around the corner somewhere (yammie) ?

LOL, is there anything that Yamaha DOESN'T make? :)

Oddly I couldn't find a map, but here's the address and phone number:

let_visit.gif

Bangkok

TYM Marketing Co.,Ltd.Yamaha Rider’s Club Branch

55/61 Ratchadapisek Rd.,

Dindang, Dindang, Bangkok 10400

Tel : (662) 640-6990-1 Fax : (662) 640-6993-4

Pretty easy to find- it's behind and to the right of the Esplanade Mall on Ratchadapisek.

Just pretend like you're going to park in the mall but drive through to the back and you can't miss the Yamaha Big Bike shop.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Getting there on the MRT:

The Esplanade Mall is north a short distance from Fortune Town on Ratchadapisek Road. You can take the MRT to the Thailand Cultural Center station, and use exit 3 from that station. When you come out of the station, go north a short distance . . . maybe 50 meters, and you are at the mall. As they said above, go around to the back of the mall and you'll find the Yamaha Rider's Club dealership that carries the big bike line.

Hi Karl,

I think there are ways around that issue. Buy a used bike, buy a different bike like the THB 225 k Kawa 650 twin E6R. With all respect, sports bikes might not be the best choice for Thailand. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

New sports bikes are way overpriced. But then, you cannot even ride on the toll roads of Bangkok :)

Even with a 650 twin, you would be in the top 0.1% of bike owners, I suppose.

i read here that the outrageous import taxes are coming down every year. Hope that will be true! There is a huge pent up demand for affordable big bikes. Are you listening, Honda? Surely, they can assemble a Hornet 600 here? Chris

post-7704-1244259240_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
What is estimated price for ZX-10? Somebody mentioned somewhere in excess of 600k?

Yes- that's correct. Per Kawasaki sales manager in BKK they will begin import of the ZX10R this spring from Japan and price will be somewhere in the ~600,000THB range. I suspect that with the incredibly strong Japanese yen that the price could easily be revised upwards.

How much are the R1 going for? I presume the ZX10R will be very similar. Plus or minus.

PS. If it sells at a cheap rate like the ER6N, gonna shoot myself. (should I sell mine now just in case)

R1 due to the strong Yen is currently 777k baht which is the same as old price, the Yen got stronger the tax got lower by 10% which seems to equal 0 difference. Can imagine both of those bikes will be around 700K +- 100K mid this year, unless they release the Baht from being pegged to the Dollar which is what I want, then it will probably be much more and you will feel so much better Travelmate. That's what they need to get the tourism back, which again I don't need so currently I'm happy as is... Else looking forward to the oil prices go up again so the traffic goes back down...

Cheers Bard

Hi Off topic but in question to the above statement:

How is the baht pegged to the dollar? If pegged it remains the same. It floats and the $US which was over 40 last year at times is down to 34 today.

Dont want to rain on your parade but??????????????

It's all about what you want and your perspective. 18 months ago I paid what was then about 18K US$ for a new Ducati from the dealer, including registration. 2 year warranty. Same bike in the US listed for 10-11K. Not once have I said "oh, it wasn't worth it". It's just the way it is here. You want the bike or you don't. One thing for sure, it keeps the 1/2 way guys in their Sunnys and Celicas. :)

Too true - thank you - same same

And for the speculators - go the Thai customs site and work out the import duty. It is consistent no

matter whether it is a low end motor vehicle (not just cycles) and last time I worked it out it was

going to cost me 110%.

Plus if the vehicle is more than 6 months old (guideline only) be prepared for additional requirements.

All countries have import duty. Western countries especially have one that protects any car manufacturer

that has "x" amount of local content. Grey motor vehicles are a problem no matter where you go we are just

unlucky that the Thai method of dealing with it is a little bit more savage to our pockets.