New Bib-scam - Traffic Light Manual Override!

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

I observed this once yesterday and today - the latest scam of the beloved "Boys In Brown", targeted mainly at motorbikes but may affect cars as well.

It works like this, yesterday: You all know those countdown timers that are installed at many traffic lights? They are convenient, showing how much time is left in each green- or red phase, so one can prepare to either sstop or get ready to take off.

Yesterday, on approach to the traffic light at the intersection Ekkamai-Rama 9, i noticed the "red" timer being at a few seconds, the usual pile of motorbikes at the start, engines revving. I made my way through the cars, the timer reaches "0", the motorbikes take off - but THE LIGHTS STAYED RED, the digits on the counter replaced by a couple of dashes. I stopped.

Some 10 seconds later then the lights went "green" (having been "red" for all directions those seconds!) and everyone went - and around the next corner were the Cops (BiB), having successfully held up that whole bunch of bikes that went when the light was SUPPOSED to go "green".

Today then a different, even meaner, variation of the same: Approached the lights at the Sukhumvit/Rama IV intersection, lights still green, counter at "8" (eight) seconds remaining. Suddenly, it went yellow and, within less than half a second, red! I was 10 meters from the intersection, going at about 70 km/h. I threw the anchor and managed to stop with screeching rear tyre about 5 meters past the line. The lights stayed red for what i guess was the remainder of the initial "green" phase, then the other direction (coming from Rama IV) got green. When i got green again i took off, and right - about 100 meters further, hidden behind a parked minivan, were a couple of cops ready to jump on the road to stop whatever had passed during the "very advanced red" cycle.

In both cases there was a cop in the "box" who obviously manually switched the lights to the preferred $$ colour.

Driver/rider beware - Bangkok just got better yet again.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hope there's a big public backlash against this.

I mean people refusing to pay and challenging them in courts.

The system works as long as everyone agrees on the rules, and here the police clearly is playing dirty even by their own standards.

"Scam1" Only a problem if you go on the clock not the lights,which one is the correct method?.

"Scam2" Perhaps if you were traveling at 50/60kph not "about" 70 kph you would have stopped 5 metres before the line and saved your rubber, what is the speed limit in Bangkok built up area?.

"Scam1" Only a problem if you go on the clock not the lights,which one is the correct method?.

"Scam2" Perhaps if you were traveling at 50/60kph not "about" 70 kph you would have stopped 5 metres before the line and saved your rubber, what is the speed limit in Bangkok built up area?.

Yeah right.

Scam 1: Then what's the point in having the clocks, just to burn a bit more electricity?

Scam 2: I have never seen a speed limit sign ANYwhere in Bangkok apart from Expressways. Usually when the roads are as empty as today when "it" happened i go 90-100 km/h - and get passed by cars and bikes!

And if YOU can stop a motorbike from 60 or even 50 km/h IN FIVE METERS i'll buy you a six-pack of your favourite beer. I think 15 meters from 70 km/h isn't too bad either, i've got good brakes on my bike.

Particularly the second scam, i would imagine, works perfectly with traffic lights that have a camera. Catch a bit of steadily moving traffic, wait for the counter to show below 10 seconds green remaining, then hit the "red" button and voila, you got a whole bunch of "traffic violators" - and the pics to prove it!

A money-machine.

Best regards....

Thanh

To be frank, anyone who goes on the timer is asking to get flattened by someone jumping the red coming the other way. Not only do i wait for green, I make sure Somchai and his pickup isn't flying across my path 5 seconds after his light has gone red.

Edited by cinbkk

Hope there's a big public backlash against this.

I mean people refusing to pay and challenging them in courts.

The system works as long as everyone agrees on the rules, and here the police clearly is playing dirty even by their own standards.

Yeah, bound to happen, because Thai's LOVE challenging those "above" them :o

Then you get whacked from behind by a Thai driver who was at 70kph and couldn't stop...

I would guess that the BiB (not defending them) would try to teach the impatient little bikers that the green light means go... I have many times seen people hit other cars, bikes just becuase they went on the counter...

When it comes to 0 there should be a few seconds for the cars to get out of the intersection, just in case... You can not have it like it is in Thailand today, one will hit 0 and the other goes green at the same time, that is accidents waiting to happen..

If it change before the counter reach 0 it is really bad, I am sure that there will be some Thais complaining about that and it will be rectefied soon. I do know about several Thais that would question the police (just because they know some copper that has a higher rank than the little slave standing outside).

Not sure it is a scam, might be that the police is trying to tell people something. Thais will listen when their wallets are hurting, not before.

I might be wrong, this is just guessing!

I would guess that the BiB (not defending them) would try to teach the impatient little bikers that the green light means go... I have many times seen people hit other cars, bikes just becuase they went on the counter...

When it comes to 0 there should be a few seconds for the cars to get out of the intersection, just in case... You can not have it like it is in Thailand today, one will hit 0 and the other goes green at the same time, that is accidents waiting to happen..

If it change before the counter reach 0 it is really bad, I am sure that there will be some Thais complaining about that and it will be rectefied soon. I do know about several Thais that would question the police (just because they know some copper that has a higher rank than the little slave standing outside).

Not sure it is a scam, might be that the police is trying to tell people something. Thais will listen when their wallets are hurting, not before.

I might be wrong, this is just guessing!

What he said.

Timers are for an indication of how long to wait not the signal to go . The green light is the signal to go and the law in the UK I assume here as well . Anyone who doesn't wait for this is asking for trouble and a danger to themselves and other road users, what is the problem in waiting a few seconds anyway ?

If it does teach the Thais how to drive safer then it is a good thing as we all know it is needed. If it is a scam yeah it is low , but wait for green as you should and there is no problem. Does the government get the money as suggested to me as why the petrol price for petrol station owners is so high is because the new government are looking to swell they budgets ?

Oh and the scooter riders who go to the front of the queue and proceed to hold everyone else up blocking the road. ARRRRGH !

On a few intersections there's 3 sec yellow after green and then 3 sec red, and only then the other side gets their green light. For them it comes straight by the counter.

What really scares me is that the cops turn off green when there's still 10 sec on the counter. That's just bloody dangerous.

Perhaps they are trying to accomodate newly installed cameras - they'll get more violators with solid evidence as cameras don't record green light periods and their shenanigans.

I hope they get someone who is able to give them a hard time.

What he said.

Timers are for an indication of how long to wait not the signal to go . The green light is the signal to go and the law in the UK I assume here as well . Anyone who doesn't wait for this is asking for trouble and a danger to themselves and other road users, what is the problem in waiting a few seconds anyway ?

If it does teach the Thais how to drive safer then it is a good thing as we all know it is needed. If it is a scam yeah it is low , but wait for green as you should and there is no problem. Does the government get the money as suggested to me as why the petrol price for petrol station owners is so high is because the new government are looking to swell they budgets ?

Oh and the scooter riders who go to the front of the queue and proceed to hold everyone else up blocking the road. ARRRRGH !

Hi.

Yeah, but the timers work in such a way (or at least are supposed to work that way) that, after one side get's "red", the other side remains "red" for another 2-3 seconds, THEN gets "green". The counter reflects that - say the opposing traffic just got red, my direction's counter is still on "red" as well for another 2-3 seconds "to clear the intersection". Often i stood at that intersection (particularly in the evening!) 4-5 seconds in my own "green" phase and still cars keep going from the right (which got red since a while). Reason? Easy - that light has the habit of staying "red" for up to 4 1/2 minutes at a time! Longest i personally observed right there was 272 seconds, that's just insane.

However if there IS a counter to show the remaining time for each phase, obviously people go after that counter. Otherwise, as mentioned, what's the point in having it..?? Specially when you can clearly see that the other direction has "red" already, your own "red" reaches zero - go or face the horns from behind. Or the cops around the corner for it's a new scam.

And regarding "the scooters in the front", actually that is the law! Many intersections actually have a dedicated area in at least one (often all) of the lanes with a secondary "white line" for the cars and the area in front dedicated for motorbikes, usually it's also written (in Thai of course) on the road "motorbike only". HOWEVER usually cars don't give a dam_n and block that dedicated area! I even got fined once for being in such area (with the car).

Regards.....

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...

You seem so critical of the OP, you really lay down the law, but then you show your lack of knowledge by asking what the speed limit is in the Bkk built up area. Don't you drive? OR is it the case you've never been to Bkk?

Latest revenue enhancement scheme.

Of course S class M/B illegally doubled parked outside Villa Market never get hassled.

How about the Green Bronco Buses that careen over to the fast lane for the sprint to the next bus stop? Blowing blue smoke & driver maxed out on Ya Baa?

What's funny is when a Bronco Bus meets some guy pushing his peanut wagon against the flow of traffic. Mexican stand-off.

When its gone to 0.. It HAS given them a few seconds to clear the junction.. The red for cross traffic is usually 3 or so seconds before the 0

To be frank, anyone who goes on the timer is asking to get flattened by someone jumping the red coming the other way. Not only do i wait for green, I make sure Somchai and his pickup isn't flying across my path 5 seconds after his light has gone red.

100% with you on that, but you have to be glued to your mirrors same as if you stop for a marginal red.. Saw some tourists get wiped out by a speeding truck who just assumed everyone would shot a red at the start !!

I thought that the rule of the road is that you GO on green light, not when the red counter goes to ZERO :D

.... but than, I might be wrong :o

regards, Bartek.

Of course but when you install a system where the light goes 3, 2, 1, Green.. People get conditioned to the understanding that the countdown timer is directly related to green, sure you should wait for the green light, but the green light should also be displayed when its 0.. If its not in sync it should be disabled to the --- indication.

These revenue raising activities are commonplace at intersections on major inter-provincial roads.

Truck or car approaching traffic light, someone will trigger the light change sequence when there is no possibility for you to stop. 200m further up the road - police car waves you over for running a red light.

You seem so critical of the OP, you really lay down the law, but then you show your lack of knowledge by asking what the speed limit is in the Bkk built up area. Don't you drive? OR is it the case you've never been to Bkk?

And the limit is???

60 kph, officially, but some areas that are built-up in Bangkok have higher speed limits :o.

Thankfully this isn't the stasi-esque uk with some red-tape nazi building devices to measure our speeds the thai-style laissez-faire feelings comes into it. Hence the fact we go above and below it now and again :D

Edited by JimsKnight

Hi :o

Is there any way one can SEE that speed limit somewhere? The only speed limit signs i have EVER seen are the ones on the "express" way (what a farce!) which restrict the speed to 80 km/h. Why? I guess only to make money by fining "speeders" who travel at a perfectly safe 120 on those roads.

But within Bangkok i never saw a sign anywhere.

Best regards....

Thanh

60 kph, officially, but some areas that are built-up in Bangkok have higher speed limits :o .

Thankfully this isn't the stasi-esque uk with some red-tape nazi building devices to measure our speeds the thai-style laissez-faire feelings comes into it. Hence the fact we go above and below it now and again :D

At last something positive from this thread

Scam 1: Then what's the point in having the clocks, just to burn a bit more electricity?

Scam 2: I have never seen a speed limit sign ANYwhere in Bangkok apart from Expressways. Usually when the roads are as empty as today when "it" happened i go 90-100 km/h - and get passed by cars and bikes!

Thanh

Just because there's no speed limit posted doesn't mean there isn't one.

It's up to YOU to have knowledge of the local traffic rules and laws of the country you're in and pleading 'I didn't know' in any country in the world won't wash, neither will 'but everyone is doing it'.

The national speed limit is 90 kms/hr on highways and 60 kms/hr in city limits unless otherwise posted.

It's up to YOU to have knowledge of the local traffic rules and laws of the country you're in and pleading 'I didn't know' in any country in the world won't wash, neither will 'but everyone is doing it'.

The national speed limit is 90 kms/hr on highways and 60 kms/hr in city limits unless otherwise posted.

Yet in Bangkok it's not unusual to see policemen waving cars to go faster as they zoom past green lights at 90km/h.

Thanh

Just because there's no speed limit posted doesn't mean there isn't one.

To my knowledge the speed limit on highways is 110 km/hr.

A couple of months ago, when i was stopped on way to Chiang mail [twice] , cops said 110 for 2 door pickup and 120 for a 4 door. I was doing 140 first time and slowed down to 120 and next time when i told them i was only doing 120 they told me should be 110 for 2 door pickup. When i asked how they know what speed i was doing they said they got radar.

Anyhow, they never squeezed me for a donation