Inexpensive Lunch Buffets In Or Around Chiang Mai

vagabond48

I have been going to a Thai lunch buffet 1 to 2 times a week about 6K north of the moat. It has fresh and delicious Thai food and includes drink, coffee and dessert for only 49 baht. The name is in Thai. To get there I ride my bicycle along the east side of Ping river but the easiest direction is go North on 107, then east on highway 3029 going in the direction of Maejo for about 1 K. Although it is in Thai, look for a very large rectangular Aqua colored sign on left. There is another one on the other side but it isn't as clean or popular as the one I go to.

I am looking for other inexpensive, similar priced as above, "all you can eat" non-veg or veg buffets within 20k of the old city. Although, I would enjoy eating farang food as well, I am assuming that any good farang buffet would be at least 150 baht.

I know Khun Churn is very good vegetarian buffet, but at 80 baht, I think it is overpriced, so I only go there occasionally with friends.

Until it closed last June, I used to go almost every weekday to the Vegetarian Society. It was almost like going to an "all you can eat" since you could walk away fully stuffed for 25 baht or less.

Tightwad Vagabond :o

I have been going to a Thai lunch buffet 1 to 2 times a week about 6K north of the moat. It has fresh and delicious Thai food and includes drink, coffee and dessert for only 49 baht. The name is in Thai. To get there I ride my bicycle along the east side of Ping river but the easiest direction is go North on 107, then east on highway 3029 going in the direction of Maejo for about 1 K. Although it is in Thai, look for a very large rectangular Aqua colored sign on left. There is another one on the other side but it isn't as clean or popular as the one I go to.

I am looking for other inexpensive, similar priced as above, "all you can eat" non-veg or veg buffets within 20k of the old city. Although, I would enjoy eating farang food as well, I am assuming that any good farang buffet would be at least 150 baht.

I know Khun Churn is very good vegetarian buffet, but at 80 baht, I think it is overpriced, so I only go there occasionally with friends.

Until it closed last June, I used to go almost every weekday to the Vegetarian Society. It was almost like going to an "all you can eat" since you could walk away fully stuffed for 25 baht or less.

Do a search in this forum for "cheap charlie" Bejezus! Kee Niouw mak!

I think the lunch buffet at Chiang mai Grandview is less than 150 baht?  

Good enough food and excellent price.

Tightwad Vagabond :D

:o

Don't listen to the oddballs, vag'. While I don't look for cheap places to eat as a rule, I like to give places like that a go, especially as it has the coffee included. So near Nakorn Payap school then?

Used to go to a tasty little noodle place which is on that east Ping road you cycle up... probably about 3 clicks north of the Super and right opposite an out-of-place group of lofty townhouses which face the river. If you blink you'll miss it, even on a treader; but haven't been for years so not sure if it's still there. :D

Phitsanulok Thai Foods. 49 Baht all you can eat. Huge 2-floors modern place, kitchen is spotless, food is delicious and fresh, salad bar, etc. Going down the Chiang Mai Mae Jo Road, turn left at the intersection where Meechok Plaza is, continue on that highway for 500 meters or maybe a little more. Place is on the right.

Word of caution: If there are many tour buses parked out front, come back another time. This place is great when there is not 100 people in there. Best to go for lunch.

Don't listen to the oddballs, vag'.

Nah, I just heard a little static, that's all.

Recently I have been paying attention to the negative or sophomoric replies posted on this forum and a good number of them come from fairly new members.

I like to give places like that a go, especially as it has the coffee included. So near Nakorn Payap school then?

This buffet is on the outer ring. I provided the highway numbers in my original post, so just check google map. It's on highway 3029 about 1/2k past the Ping river on the right going toward Maejo. Look for a large Aqua colored sign.

Phitsanulok Thai Foods. 49 Baht all you can eat. Huge 2-floors modern place, kitchen is spotless, food is delicious and fresh, salad bar, etc. Going down the Chiang Mai Mae Jo Road, turn left at the intersection where Meechok Plaza is, continue on that highway for 500 meters or maybe a little more. Place is on the right.

Word of caution: If there are many tour buses parked out front, come back another time. This place is great when there is not 100 people in there. Best to go for lunch.

Sounds like it is on the same road as the buffet I described but about 100 to 300 meters past it going towards Maejo. That will be convenient.

Don't listen to the oddballs, vag'. While I don't look for cheap places to eat as a rule, I like to give places like that a go, especially as it has the coffee included. So near Nakorn Payap school then?

Used to go to a tasty little noodle place which is on that east Ping road you cycle up... probably about 3 clicks north of the Super and right opposite an out-of-place group of lofty townhouses which face the river. If you blink you'll miss it, even on a treader; but haven't been for years so not sure if it's still there. :D

An "oddball" to me would be someone who cycles up to 20km's to try and find an "all you can eat buffet" for around, or less than a dollar! How on earth can 80 baht be overpriced for a buffet !!

An "oddball" to me would be someone who cycles up to 20km's to try and find an "all you can eat buffet" for around, or less than a dollar! How on earth can 80 baht be overpriced for a buffet !!

That sounds like a reasonably pleasant ride, to work up an appetite, and the buffet certainly is a good one there ! I believe that I'm right in saying, they used to be near the prison and priced at 39 Baht, but moved to their new location a few months back ?

And 80 Baht becomes increasingly-fully priced, as the pound reaches the mid-40s, and keeps on going downwards. :D Converting to Pounds, what I used to call 'real money' :o , is getting increasingly depressing, so I hereby resolve to stop doing it ! :D

I agree--some folks just don't mix with the locals.

Anyway, there's a 49 Baht buffet on the right side as you go into the Kad Farang, heading towards the Moo Bahn and almost directly opposite the Rimping super--I haven't been since they hiked the price up from 39 Baht, [and before the flames start--I haven't been back purely because I haven't had the chance and not because the price went up]. It was pretty good fare before and I hear it still is. Bit of a healthy bike ride, though, as it must be 10 Km plus from Muang.

Anyway, there's a 49 Baht buffet on the right side as you go into the Kad Farang, heading towards the Moo Bahn and almost directly opposite the Rimping super--I haven't been since they hiked the price up from 39 Baht, [and before the flames start--I haven't been back purely because I haven't had the chance and not because the price went up]. It was pretty good fare before and I hear it still is. Bit of a healthy bike ride, though, as it must be 10 Km plus from Muang.

Luckily we just mix in different circles! And thankfully too, not sure I'd want to be in the same restaurant as you after a 12mile bike ride in the mid day sun.. Enjoy your "cheap all you can eat" buffets :D

Don't listen to the oddballs, vag'.

And proud of it!

You are pretty shortsighted, as I love riding my bicycle, period. Riding 40k round trip to a buffet would be just as enjoyable as having the meal. This "oddball" also cycles up to Phubbing Palace 2 to 3 times a week and would enjoy the ride even more if there is an "all eat can eat" buffet up there for 10 baht. :o:D

Edited by vagabond48

This "oddball" also cycles up to Phubbing Palace 2 to 3 times a week and would enjoy the ride even more if there is an "all eat can eat" buffet up there for 10 baht. :o:D

Carry on a bit further to that touristy Hmong market area. There could be something in there, although perhaps a bit crap like the scant offerings in the car park at the temple.

In today's world financial climate I can admire one being thrifty. Some of us do it naturally and as time passes the next few years some will be force to

be thirty. Being a bicycle rider myself and a vegetarian I find some interest in this post.

Funny like the OP I too only eat at Khun Churn on special occasions.

In the sum of 80 baht being food, gasoline or a childs toy it might not seem like a lot of money to some but to others it's a waste if they can get the same or even better at 1/2 price or less.

Yeah, how many locals there with their bikes ?

I mix with locals in my golf club every weekend. Btw, the buffee is free of charge for members, only couple of mil one time payment which i paid when the pound was 87. But i guess that's not the kind of mixing you had in mind :o

Edited by MJo

This buffet is on the outer ring. I provided the highway numbers in my original post, so just check google map. It's on highway 3029 about 1/2k past the Ping river on the right going toward Maejo. Look for a large Aqua colored sign.

Now you really have me confused.

In your first post you said look for a big aqua coloured sign "ON THE LEFT" going towards Mae Jo. The one on the RIGHT was not so good !! :o

In the sum of 80 baht being food, gasoline or a childs toy it might not seem like a lot of money to some but to others it's a waste if they can get the same or even better at 1/2 price or less.

Actually spending 80 or 280 baht is not expensive or the issue for me. I am living in Thailand and under normal circumstances, I want to pay Thai prices and not farang. I figure if these buffets include more costly ingredients such as lean white chicken meat and still charge 49 baht, then Kun Churn selling (non-organic) inexpensive vegetables can charge less than 80 baht. I even avoid non-touristy restaurants that attract many farangs willing to pay 30% to 50% for food that can be gotten for less and yes I realize I am only talking about $2 to $4 more but I don't fault the restaurants if they can attract willing customers to pay.

Edited by vagabond48

Can anybody explain why so many on this forum feel obligated to attack others for there personal likes and dislikes?

If a person want eat cheap, ride a bicycle or whatever, why should anybody else care and make public derogatory comments about it? I don't have a bicycle and would never think of riding one that far to eat, but if somebody else wants to or wants to jog up there for lunch, why should I care?

I participate in several forums on different subjects and this one is by far the worst for this type of activity that I have seen. Are there no gentlemen/ladies with good manners left in the world (or at least in Chiang Mai)?

Edited by bjohn34

Can anybody explain why so many on this forum feel obligated to attack others for there personal likes and dislikes?

If a person want eat cheap, ride a bicycle or whatever, why should anybody else care and make public derogatory comments about it? I don't have a bicycle and would never think of riding one that far to eat, but if somebody else wants to or wants to jog up there for lunch, why should I care?

I participate in several forums on different subjects and this one is by far the worst for this type of activity that I have seen. Are there no gentlemen/ladies with good manners left in the world (or at least in Chiang Mai)?

Here we go....

I have nothing against people riding bikes or going inexpensive restaurants. I eat 30 baht street food most of the time myself. And i do not play golf and i dont have hi-so thai chinese girlfriend driving merc :o

However posting comments like "I agree--some folks just don't mix with the locals" you certainly get a reply in TV. Especially when you suggest that all here who consider 80 baht lunch as inexpensive are ignorant tourists just passing by and do not have any interest in thai culture or dealing with the locals.

Take it easy and do not take post in this forum too seriously :D

Edited by MJo

Now you really have me confused.

In your first post you said look for a big aqua coloured sign "ON THE LEFT" going towards Mae Jo. The one on the RIGHT was not so good !! :o

Sorry, got my right from my left mixed up.

It is indeed on the left side NOT the right, heading towards MaeJo.

Edited by vagabond48

the Suriwongse-Hotel lunch buffet includes 2 or 3 Western dishes each day, as well as some Sushi-stuff, and at 180 THB is still moderately priced.

nothing to be overly excited, but its a solid long-time-favorite and there are usually more local Thai people than Farang.

as for lunch-buffets, I have never found any better value than the amazing Buffet at the CHAROEN HOTEL in Udon Thani. costs around 220THB nowadays, me thinks. offers Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Western food and is usually packed every day with Udon's local Hi-So (khon Thai).

Pretty useless sort of comment there ChiangMai2. I walk up Doi Suthep and have a cup of coffee. Should be good for a cheap jibe.

Have you found anywhere nice to eat? Would you care to share that information with us?

The Rattanakosin Hotel on the street of that name had a B69 buffet between about 6.30 and 8pm. I haven't been for a year. Fish, chips, steak, salad and Thai. Live 'entertainment' is pretty karaoke'ish. It's marked on the CM maps.

Grand View on Canal Rd, now B140, still the best value in town for buffet lunch, 11am-2pm.

I'd also recommend the B49 place on the north side of the middle ring road, but not the one nearly opposite. There are a lot of vegetarian dishes there (well, if you eat eggs, that is) and very few chillies.

G&M restaurant from Gunther and wife.

German butcher.

Excellent buffet every Sunday for 150 baht. Better go early, around 10.30, as at 11 am it's often already packed.

In the middle of nowhere 10 km from Bor Sang. Can't explain how to go there. Can give them a call: 053 - 840 531

Pretty useless sort of comment there ChiangMai2. I walk up Doi Suthep and have a cup of coffee. Should be good for a cheap jibe.

Have you found anywhere nice to eat? Would you care to share that information with us?

The Rattanakosin Hotel on the street of that name had a B69 buffet between about 6.30 and 8pm. I haven't been for a year. Fish, chips, steak, salad and Thai. Live 'entertainment' is pretty karaoke'ish. It's marked on the CM maps.

Grand View on Canal Rd, now B140, still the best value in town for buffet lunch, 11am-2pm.

I'd also recommend the B49 place on the north side of the middle ring road, but not the one nearly opposite. There are a lot of vegetarian dishes there (well, if you eat eggs, that is) and very few chillies.

I'm struggling to see what's useful about your post?

The OP wants a cheap lunchtime buffet for around 49 baht! Your recommendations are a place that isn't even open for lunch at 11 baht less than what "Vag" deems expensive. A place that is nearly 3 times the price of what he's willing to pay and confirmation of a place that he's already familiar with. Is that useful info for the OP?

About as useful as a chocolate tea pot! :o