Same Sex Uk Couple In Civil Partnership Re Retirement Visa

Hi here’s a quick visa legal question, my self and my partner are both from the UK and have been in a civil partnership for 2 years (together a lot longer!) I am 50 my partner is 10 years younger. If I apply for a retirement visa can I apply for a dependents visa for him and if I can is that renewable every year as the retirement visa is?

Thanks

Hi here’s a quick visa legal question, my self and my partner are both from the UK and have been in a civil partnership for 2 years (together a lot longer!) I am 50 my partner is 10 years younger. If I apply for a retirement visa can I apply for a dependents visa for him and if I can is that renewable every year as the retirement visa is?

Thanks

Thailand does not recognize civil partnerships and certainly not same sex ones

Your partner should get a visa independent to yours, this is true even if you were married (like it is possible in a few countries like Belgium)

ubonjoe - I notice from your link that under 2.5 of the Police Order there is reference to an Investment route of THB3m in a condo, if purchased before 1 October 2006. Is this still valid?
It is a grandfather clause for those that got an extension before that date based upon a 3 million baht investment.

So you are a bit late to get it now.

Ok thanks. I only got my first extension in 2007, but I bought a condo in 2003 and lived here on a non-B from then. Too bad....the THB800k route coming up again; just trying to minimise the currency risk, but trying to hedge that now is a lottery.

Your partner should get a visa independent to yours, this is true even if you were married (like it is possible in a few countries like Belgium)

I think you are wrong there. HETEROSEXUAL MARRIED people here can piggyback retirement visas, can't they? For example Dutch man, age 50, retirement visa, with Fijian wife, age 18, she can get a retirement stay permission based on her HUSBANDS visa. If I am wrong about this, I am sure will be corrected.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you are wrong there. HETEROSEXUAL MARRIED people here can piggyback retirement visas, can't they? For example Dutch man, age 50, retirement visa, with Fijian wife, age 18, she can get a retirement stay permission based on her HUSBANDS visa. If I am wrong about this, I am sure will be corrected.

You are wrong.

Read the police order I posted earlier. It mentions a spouse.

You are wrong.

Read the police order I posted earlier. It mentions a spouse.

OK, what about two 50 year olds who are married? Do both need separate retirement visas? I don't think they BOTH need to qualify FINANCIALLY do they? In other words, ONE bank account of 800K would work for both of them, correct? There was big stink when they tried to take that away a while back, and I thought they backed off on that.

Edited by Jingthing

It appears that you are talking about retirement extensions. When one spouse, at least 50 years old, has a retirement extension the other spouse, regardless of age, can get a dependent exrtension, not a retirement extension.

--

Maestro

• 5 weeks later...

A gay married couple from South Africa both got visas based on the one partners teaching visa. So it seems some embassies will accept legal gay marriages. Not sure about civil partnerships/unions, but I think it is worth a try. They called the embassy first before going there - just so as not to cause any prejudice should they have had to follow a different route.

A gay married couple from South Africa both got visas based on the one partners teaching visa. So it seems some embassies will accept legal gay marriages. Not sure about civil partnerships/unions, but I think it is worth a try. They called the embassy first before going there - just so as not to cause any prejudice should they have had to follow a different route.

If they have a marriage certificate immigration might accept it. It would depend on what the certifcate says about their sex. If it only said a man and a women it probably would work.

The immigration rules say spouse so a civil partnership won't work.