Phuket To Khao Lak

bbahngdori

I am going to Khao Lak for few days before coming back to Phuket for 4days.

I don't know whether to rent a car or take a taxi to Khao Lak from the Phuket airport and if I take a taxi, is there taxis to come back?

It's my first time to Phuket and I don't know if I need to rent a car to get around.

Another thing is that I am from the States and never driven on left side of the streets before.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Another thing is that I am from the States and never driven on left side of the streets before.

[\quote]

That shouldn't be a problem since many locals also don't drive on the left side of the streets....

Seriously - a taxi to Khao Lak from the airpoirt would be about 1,200 baht (depending on whereabout in Khao Lak). For your return trip, either request a taxi from your hotel or from one of the tour/accomodation shops

Simon

In Khao Lak there are plenty of taxis around, better deal directly with them then do it through a hotel or a tour agency which makes it more expensive since they add commission. There are always a lot of taxis standing around next to Nang Tong Supermarket smack in the middle of downtown Khao Lak.

I am going to Khao Lak for few days before coming back to Phuket for 4days.

I don't know whether to rent a car or take a taxi to Khao Lak from the Phuket airport and if I take a taxi, is there taxis to come back?

It's my first time to Phuket and I don't know if I need to rent a car to get around.

Thank you in advance for your input.

There is a bus out of Phuket town, quite efficient actually, drops right in central Khao Lak.

When you get to the airport, go to the metered taxi stand down on the right. Tell them you need to get to the Phuket Town bus station to catch the bus to Khao Lak. They'll know where it is. Once at Phuket Town bus station there is a ticket booth, buy the ticket, I'm pretty sure they run regularly, but if not, theres food, newspapers etc. to keep you occupied.

When you get to the airport, go to the metered taxi stand down on the right. Tell them you need to get to the Phuket Town bus station to catch the bus to Khao Lak.
Just take a meter taxi to the bus stop on the main road in stead of going to Phuket Town Busstation. The bus from Phuket Towmn to Khao Lak passes that road, and it saves you 45 minutes each way.

When you get to the airport, go to the metered taxi stand down on the right. Tell them you need to get to the Phuket Town bus station to catch the bus to Khao Lak.
Just take a meter taxi to the bus stop on the main road in stead of going to Phuket Town Busstation. The bus from Phuket Towmn to Khao Lak passes that road, and it saves you 45 minutes each way.

Is that bus stop pretty identifiable for someone new to Thailand? Taxi will know? Where is the schedule posted? Do they have that info at the airport? Buy the ticket from the driver?

I once caught a bus in Costa Rica on the same notion. The bus even had painted across the front Moctezuma (where I was headed on the Nicoya). Packed with people, chickens, the works. Well we pulled in to some sh*thole of a town late at night and to my surprise, they told me that was not the bus to Moctezuma...........

Spent the night on a cot in the back of a liquor store, no electricity.....

I have visions of this gal standing on the side of the road, no bus.........

Is that bus stop pretty identifiable for someone new to Thailand? Taxi will know? Where is the schedule posted? Do they have that info at the airport? Buy the ticket from the driver?

I once caught a bus in Costa Rica on the same notion. The bus even had painted across the front Moctezuma (where I was headed on the Nicoya). Packed with people, chickens, the works. Well we pulled in to some sh*thole of a town late at night and to my surprise, they told me that was not the bus to Moctezuma...........

Spent the night on a cot in the back of a liquor store, no electricity.....

I have visions of this gal standing on the side of the road, no bus.........

Thank you, gentlemen. I am going with my Thai girlfriend so we will be o.k.

Go Raiders, huggybear.

Edited by bbahngdori

The bus-stop that you want is at Muang Mai (เมีองใหม่), opposite the Highway Police station. All buses stop here to see where people want to go. The bus to Khao Lak shows 'Takuapa' as the destination.

Simon

The bus-stop that you want is at Muang Mai (เมีองใหม่), opposite the Highway Police station. All buses stop here to see where people want to go. The bus to Khao Lak shows 'Takuapa' as the destination.

Simon

My wife and I are interested in using the taxi to bus stop to Khao Lak strategy. What should we expect to pay for the taxi to the bus stop? What is the fare from the bus stop to Khao Lak? Would we be smarter just using the transfer service offered by our resort (Baan Khao Lak) which costs $35 US/pp (I think)?

Simon

My wife and I are interested in using the taxi to bus stop to Khao Lak strategy. What should we expect to pay for the taxi to the bus stop? What is the fare from the bus stop to Khao Lak? Would we be smarter just using the transfer service offered by our resort (Baan Khao Lak) which costs $35 US/pp (I think)?

I'd say yes. Sure is nicer to get in and already have things set up, than have to que up for a taxi, then go to a bus stop, ride the bus, then schlep your luggage to the resort.

Start your vacation off with ease instead of tired, hot, frustration.

Would we be smarter just using the transfer service offered by our resort (Baan Khao Lak) which costs $35 US/pp (I think)?

The transfer service is very reasonably priced, a taxi would at the best be just a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to 10 great days at the Baan Khao Lak. cgmeyer

Hold on a sec.......it should be US$35 for the whole taxi, and not per person. If they charge per person, better just look for a taxi at the airport. There is a prepay taxi counter in the arrival hall, you have to haggle about the price with them.

Hold on a sec.......it should be US$35 for the whole taxi, and not per person. If they charge per person, better just look for a taxi at the airport. There is a prepay taxi counter in the arrival hall, you have to haggle about the price with them.

Thanks, Keestha - $35 for the whole taxi makes more sense. What might you think of this plan - take the airport shuttle to the Phuket bus station (82 Baht/pp) - then a bus to Khao Lak. Since we have plenty of time after arriving by air, time is no big deal to us. Seems like the total cost doing it this way would be significantly less than $35. Agree?

Yes, would be a hel_l of a lot cheaper.

But: have the aiport shuttle drop you of at the busstop on the main road, and you will also save 2 hours travel time (and not nice travel time).

Hello stevenl,

Though I go to the airport several times every year , I never noticed much in the way of an airport shuttle. If it is really (still?) there, from where in the airport does it leave, and how frequently?

Hoogachtend,

keestha.

Edited by keestha

• 3 weeks later...
When you exit the terminal on the left hand side.

Leaves once per hour I think.

Vriendelijke groeten,

Steven

Just for the record - we found the shuttle bus at the airport - the nice attendant told us she would show us where to get off to catch the second bus (to Khao Lak) - she charged us half price (40 Thb p/p) - then pointed out the stop for the northbound bus - it came - we got on - paid 100 Thb each and were in Khao Lak about 1 1/2 hours later - total time from airport to Khao Lak was about three hours. We had to chuckle when arriving at our fancy resort - they asked us how we got there - we said "on the bus" - their eyes opened wide in disbelief. Ho Ho Ho. We did take a taxi back to the airport after ten days on the beach. That cost us 1000 Thb.

Thanks to everyone who gave us suggestions!! We are always up for some novelty in our traveling. Chuck