"eye Witness Reports"

Darknight

Eye witness reports

This is from the neighbour of a friend of my cousin. It's a firsthand account of the tsunami in Thailand:

We were sitting on a wooden long tail boat with about 15 other tourists ready to go to Phi Phi Island for 3 days. The boat is All of a sudden, the water receded and we were moored in the sand. The tide had gone out instantaneously. We were ordered to get off the boat and grab our bags. We looked right and saw a massive wave heading to a nearby cove. The boat staff screamed to us "Run, forget your bags, Run!". We turned to look at the sea - and it had swelled so big that it was picking up and smashing sail boats in front of us like toys. A Thai man grabbed my bag and me and ran me down a walkway. I felt like I had lead in my feet. My head and body didn't agree about running!

After the wave subsided, we stopped running. We headed back toward the beach to find our friends. It never occurred to anyone that it wasn't over. But then we heard the words "RUN RUN RUN" again! A second, bigger wave was coming. I was terrified, didn't want to stop and thought we would certainly die.

We headed high into the jungle and waited for about 6 hours - waiting for the next wave to hit - and it never did. Or at least it didn't reach us. We ended up leaving that evening, catching a boat then a taxi to the Krabi airport. I don't know what one does with experiences like this - I haven't processed it all. The hotel we were going to is gone - obliterated. It is now being used as a helicopter landing pad.

by Stephanie, sent by Sabado, Wailuku, Maui

My parents are in Thailand on a holiday. I heard about the earthquake not long before they sent me a text message saying they were okay. They were all set to fly to Krabi, where the disaster was about to hit. My sister had text them telling them not to get on the flight. My Mother told the airline that she would not get on the flight and so thankfully they stayed in Bangkok. They felt rumbles from their hotel but were extremely lucky. I am terribly thankful, although very upset after reading and hearing stories of other people

Katie, Cambridge, England

My parents were in Phuket when the waves struck and for 24 hours I had no idea of their whereabouts and was frantically calling the emergency number to no avail. The best phone call in the world came in the early morning of the next day when dad called to ask whether I'd seen it on the news! They were the lucky ones, dad was saved by a Thai lady (bless you) telling him to run the other way otherwise he would have been heading for Patong market where they are taking out scores of bodies. They spent time on the roof of the hotel until the water subsided when they moved to the mountains for safety with others who had been separated from loved ones.

The Thai people were fantastic and heartfelt thanks from my parents and I go out to them for their generosity and support throughout - including the young law student at Phuket airport who helped them with their form filling and the young men who accompanied them at the airport. I didn't think I'd see them again for a short time - mum's limited mobility means she could not have run for cover like they all had to. Now the coverage of people frantically searching for their loved ones makes me cry - it could so easily have been us.

Cheryl Davies, Wigan, England

I am an Indonesian living in Khao Lak, Ohang Nga, Thailand. Khao Lak Merlin Resort, where I work, has 209 rooms and luckily we only lost 12 rooms, compared to the other hotels. It's a miracle, they lost almost all of their buildings. I saw the tsunami and I saw the affect and all I can say is, just, wow. Look what water has done to us.

Eddy Waluyo, Khao Lak, Thailand

I have just driven around the resorts of Kata, Kata Noi and Karon. I am amazed at the speed of the clean-up here. The beaches are now clean, as are the roads, and the majority of bars and tourist businesses are open again.

Tom Bishop, Chalong, Phuket, Thailand

I live here and I can categorically state that while many, but not all, of the beaches are terribly damaged, Phuket as an entire island is not! Some news agencies are sensationalising what has happened to the point of lying, and careful video or photo editing ignores areas just out of shot of life pretty much going on as normal in most of the province. Some perspective, please.

Calire Adams, Phuket, Thailand

Eleven of us were travelling by speedboat to Phi Phi in Thailand. One minute we were sunbathing and snorkelling and the next we were literally running for our lives up the shore in the midst of yells of, "Big Wave, Big Wave" and shouts of, "GO, GO" from the Thai guides and drivers. First a seething mass of broiling water crowned by a white crest came round the shore from one direction. Seconds later another white wall rounded the other side of the island, the waves surging towards each other. This was the first wave and it sent speedboats flying across the tops of the waves like matchsticks. The wave left as suddenly as it came. Ten minutes later the Thais who had been surveying the damage to their boats, now well inland, started racing along the shore gesturing frantically and yelling, "Again. Big Wave. Come Again."

Hearing the roar of water above their cries we were forced this time to scale a cliff that was at times almost vertical. The young Thais have to be commended for their kindness and generosity to us in the following 24 hours until we were rescued. Although they too thought that they were facing imminent death, their first concern was our wellbeing and safety. We had to climb and descend the cliff a total of three times, many of us in bare feet, due to the rumours of another tsunami approaching. The Thais ensured that all of us, from a five year old child to my mother of over 60 years old, got safe passage. We are truly grateful to all the Thais who endured the experience with us on Bamboo Island, especially Sam from Barracuda Tours who is still searching for his sister who was on Phi Phi when the wave struck.

Temmy Maclean, Hong Kong, originally Glasgow, Scotland

Both my brothers live and work in Thailand. My older brother Jamie, 30, was going to the coast for Christmas with his Thai wife Noi, the first break he's had for years. I last spoke to him on 23 December and he hadn't decided which beach he was going to. My younger brother Lewis hadn't made his mind up if he was going. We hadn't heard from them all over Christmas so became more and more worried. I spent three days on the internet searching through deceased lists and posting pictures and messages regarding my brothers and Noi.

Then yesterday at 4pm Jamie phoned my Nan. He had been trapped in a hotel in Phuket. He and his wife were in an air bubble in their hotel room for hours in the pitch black. Jamie only suffered four broken ribs and Noi only suffered from shock. The people in the hotel room next door died. Jamie said you couldn't move for dead bodies. My family and I are all so pleased that they are ok. I am now doing a collection at work to help as much as I can.

Michelle Finch, London, UK

I was on the beach in Coral Island (one of the offshore islands between Phuket and Phi Phi Island) when the waves struck. There were three waves in total, and they completely washed over the beach, washing into the hotel and entering the local village. The waves were not as large as the ones in Phuket and Phi Phi (maybe because the beach was facing north). When we got back to Phuket, we saw fishing boats thrown and smashed onto roads. The restaurant where we had dinner the night before was also destroyed.

Philip Chan, Auckland, New Zealand and London, UK

I know about 10 people that were in Phuket, Thailand, when the waves hit. Amazingly, they all survived. 80,000 people wiped out already, with tens of thousands more to die from disease in the coming days and weeks. The drug companies should donate medicines - simple antibiotics. That would save a lot of lives.

Marius Askildsen, Kristiansand, Norway

My boyfriend and his family were on Kharon Beach in Phuket when the waves struck. By hanging on to a tree my boyfriend managed to get out and I ran through the water. I now pray for all the people who have lost their lives in this tragedy and my sympathy goes to families who have lost their loved ones. I would particularly like to say thank you to all the Thai people who have helped us despite their own fears and loss at this time. I have been amazed at their generosity, understanding and selflessness and I hope that Thailand along with all the other countries that have been hit by this event can in time recover. I will certainly be returning to Thailand in the future.

Honor Dargan, Tokyo, Japan

We were lucky enough to be on a dive boat out of Phuket and about 10 minutes short of land when the waves hit. We turned around and sat it out in the deeper water for over eight hours before returning. Phuket sea front is heavily damaged. Cars, boats, jet-skis etc are scattered all over. Shops and restaurants we'd been in the day before are gone. The sight of the bodies of adults and children being removed from the rubble will stay with me for the rest of my life. It's a very sad time.

Jim, Singapore

My friend was on holiday in Thailand for Christmas. Her 6 year old son is dead, her 8 year old son and her partner are both missing. Our community is devastated.

Mary, Hayle, Cornwall, England

We were by the pool at the Pelangi Beach Resort when the waves hit. Cannot believe that we are all alive. I guess the small islands in front of the beach stalled the waves a bit, giving us all time to run but I won't forget how 'angry' the sea was, the power just churning and the sound and atmosphere of pure panic. The amazing thing is that after all this, the people of Langkawi did all they could to ensure that we were fine and safe throughout the following night. I want to thank the GM of the Pelangi Beach Resort who did an amazing job of looking after us. We will never forget their concern for us and will definitely go back.

Christine De Santis, Hong Kong

I arrived two hours after the tidal wave struck. Our resort was on Kho Hae, they immediately relocated us for our safety. The friendliness and help of the Thai has been phenomenal, the Phuket Polytechnic from which I write, was the scene of immense personal sacrifice, all the students came back to school and the boys started making coffins, the girls prepared food packs and care packs all of this was done entirely with donations from the students, parents and teachers. For a people with little their generosity has greatly touched me.

Ann Kingston, Thailand/UK

My sister Petra lived in a front beach house at Khao-lak, north of Phuket. She lived there with her boyfriend, the whole community was 15 people. The big wave killed 4 of them including her boyfriend. Everything was washed out, the whole area was heavily damaged. She survived just by miracle. The only thing she remained was swimming dress. She is very brave and instad of escaping she decided to help other people in the hospital Phang-gha where she reported there are many injured and dead. We are very proud of her and keep fingers crossed to get her safely home. Please support this area!

Pavel Rind, Liberec, Czech Republic

I was on holiday near Phuket on Koh Surin. It was my third visit there and everything seemed totally normal. I went kayaking in the morning and reached the shore before the wave struck but was still washed away by the wave. I grabbed the kayak, which was wedged between two trees. I managed to climb off and walked up a nearby hill. It was so devastating to watch. Charavee Bunyasiri Deer, Bangkok

We were out at sea in a 25-foot longtail boat which was going from the mainland to a secluded island when we saw the tsunami. We were about 1km (half a mile) from shore when the boat driver very quickly headed for a nearby bay. We had enough time to talk and had a solid plan for when we did hit the beach. It was a very close call and we made it to shore with only about 10 seconds to spare and headed to higher ground. It was a very surreal experience but I am thankful to say I have nothing more to show for it than just a few scratches. Jason and Lisa Bagby, Los Angeles, California

I was staying at Ao Nang in Thailand and on Sunday went on a day trip to some islands. My girlfriend was sunbathing and I was snorkeling around the first island when the water turned brown. It was a struggle to reach the beach but I eventually landed in some mangrove bushes. We were very lucky. I tried to administer first aid to several victims but unfortunately they died in front of me.

Daniel Novak, Prague, Czech Republic

I was sunbathing with my girlfriend on the beach in Phuket when suddenly I heard an unbelievably loud roar, it sounded like I was standing next to an airplane as it took off. I looked up and found a 20-foot high wall of water coming at me -- it looked like a scene from the Ten Commandments. My girlfriend and I just got up and started running for our lives. The water caught up to us and briefly pulled us under before we surfaced and somehow managed to hold onto a utility pole. Finally the water subsided and we were able to make it uphill to safety. We saw at least 25 bodies float by. Next year I am going to Florida.

Vijay Patel, Phuket, Thailand

I was in my hotel apartment in Thailand when I heard the waves crashing much louder then usual. I look out the window to see dark muddy water washing up everything in its path. I was even shocked at finding a three-foot shark washed up in the swimming pool there. I fled back to Australia yesterday. But unfortunately 26,000 others weren't as lucky. My thoughts go out to them.

Ed, Melbourne, Australia

I am a dive instructor who was working on Phi Phi island when the tsunami struck. I was on a speed boat trip when the waves hit. After the first dive, which was unusually strong current, we heard a report that something had gone terribly wrong at Patong Beach, Phuket. When we came back we saw lots of shoes in the water and lots of rubbish. When we came into Tonsai Bay (southern beach), all the diving boats were still. Everyone was just waiting for a second wave to hit. We moved to a larger boat, put on out BCDs and just waited for the second wave but it never came. On Tonsai Beach, we saw all the demolition; it was horrible. At 6 o clock the following morning we went down from where we had taken shelter up high and saw the whole picture. It was a disaster. All houses were gone and there were bodies everywhere along the streets. I am now back in Bangkok. Rickard Eriksson, Sweden

We outran a 15 ft. wall of water 300 yards from the beach... I don't know how we did it. It was very scary ... we spent last night in the jungle on one of the highest points on the Island, swatting mosquito's and trying to calm our fears, which we have not. The Thai people have been very generous and we feel very lucky, considering many others lost everything. Jamie, Viv, Caitlin and Michaela, Phi Phi, Thailand

I went for breakfast by the beach in Surin, Phuket, Thailand. I felt my chair shaking at 8.15 a.m. and after a while realized it was an earthquake. At about 10 a.m., I was sending emails in Kamala when suddenly the water level in the small river nearby rose dramatically. Then a car with a smashed windshield floated by. As I left the Internet place the water had reached the street. There was general panic. I drove home and decided the best bet was to stay there, further away from the beach. Friends started to call me about a massive tsunami in Phuket. Electricity was cut. After a few hours I went to see the devastation in Kamala. It was like the aftermath of a bomb, a total mess, with fatalities. I saw a dead boy, aged about four, being carried away by his father. It was terrible. There is devastation everywhere near the beach area. The human suffering and economic cost of this catastrophe is difficult to comprehend. Joni Makivirta, Kamala, Thailand

My best friend and her family are vacationing in Thailand on Koh Khao Island in Thailand. I received a telephone message from her -- finally -- yesterday morning saying they were all OK, that there tsunami and they ran to the mountains. She said things are really bad there right now. They're camping atop a mountain in a small camp, sleeping on the ground. Lina Krickemeyer, Langley, British Columbia

The following link may be helpful for readers with relatives in Phuket Thailand. http://www.dinsormai.com/ Sasithorn, Thailand

My wife is holidaying in Phuket, staying at the Kabina Beach Hotel (now destroyed) when the first wave hit. She was in her room and the whole room was filled with water -- she almost drowned. She then ran to the hotel lobby just before a second wave hit. She managed to climb to the top of a 20-meter tree with the help of a security guard. Whoever that man was, I thank you for saving her life. She is now in hospital, waiting for minor surgery on her leg. I'm so glad that she survived, I can't wait to get her back. Peter Lillvik, Sanya, China

I am on an island near Krabi in Thailand, searching for friends who were on Langkawi Island in Malaysia. Two tsunamis hit here yesterday morning. The first was small -- rumored to be five meters. I saw it coming and watched as it crashed over the sea wall. When the second, larger tsunami (10-15 meters) was spotted, we all ran up to higher ground. Most of the boats here were destroyed so the rescue effort is still continuing. Rebecca Ebels, Nagasaki, Japan