Krabi Destroyed Plants Whose Leaves Contain Addictive Substances And Are Consumed By Young People.

NBT TV Phuket

item---8-- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=919

Officials and police in Ao Luk district of Krabi are seen destroying Kratom plant or Mitragyna speciosa in an attempt to eradicate originate substances for so-called 4 X 100 addictive drugs. They used electric machines to cut down the plants and put on chemical liquid to kill them. The district chief Prasit Bhuchatwanitkel stressed that young people tend to use more 4 X 100 drugs as the production cost is low and easy to produce. He also points out that adults also misunderstand that the Kratom can cure some diseases so they are widely used. In fact he said the plants have affects on nerve systems. The Superintendent of Ao Luk police station said around 200 Kratom plants have been destroyed and he will continue destroying the plants with target to complete by January 23rd.

It would be interesting to have a good update on this. I know the plant/tree in question and it was in fact offered to me when I started out with breathing problems. But I also know that it can be addictive and that many men use it in and around the southern areas of Thailand. Maybe this could be moved to Health???

It would be interesting to have a good update on this. I know the plant/tree in question and it was in fact offered to me when I started out with breathing problems. But I also know that it can be addictive and that many men use it in and around the southern areas of Thailand. Maybe this could be moved to Health???

Well that answers what the "special lettuce" in the "special Ao Luk salad " is...............

In all the research carried out on kratom over the last 100 years or so, beginning with Christian missionary studies, not a single case of addiction has been noted, at least according to the literature I've seen.

Kratom is a relatively mild, short-acting (less than an hour and a half per chew) stimulant compared with yaa baa. Making kratom illegal has driven up the price (it used to be available in virtually any market for just a few baht) and led to more powerful underground extractions, the formulation of 4x100 and so on. Even in its strongest form it is far weaker than yaa baa and other amphetamines.

A few years ago someone in the National Assembly proposed re-legalising kratom in order to combat yaa baa addiction. Before kratom was made illegal in 1985 it was commonly used by day labourers, whether dockworkers in Bangkok or pineapple pickers in Prachuap, much like mild coca leaves are used in the Andes. After it became a controlled substance (in the same classification as heroin) yaa baa use soared in central and southern Thailand, where kratom was traditionally used.

Before it was made illegal, I chewed kratom a few times. There is no way it would ever be put into a salad as it's very bitter and the leaves take a lot of chewing. In Minburi many families still keep a couple of kratom trees in the garden and chew the leaves when they need a boost. In truth it's not much stronger than caffeine and produces less physical tolerance (or so I'm told, though the Wiki article below says they are about the same).

Wiki article on kratom